HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So what is Dennis Wideman?

Old
06-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
I know that Wideman doesn't score that kind of goal every night, but when was the last time we saw a panthers player shooting the puck like that? .....

Never happened since Jokinen lol
Like I said, he will be a big help to the PP. He will be our best d-man at the point at passing, handling the puck, and shooting.

People can keep bringing up Horton and how he could have been there, but it's better to have a d-man back there.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
When he's bad, he's really really bad, but he isn't bad very often.

That kinda clear it up?
This automatically qualifies him as a top line defenseman on the Florida Panthers.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Offensive D all the way.
Yep, everything I feared haha.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:11 AM
nycbruins*

For every time Wideman panics and makes an incredibly bonehead play, there are 3-4 times when Dennis is cool as ice, makes a nifty move around a forechecker and finds an open man to start a breakout. But obviously, what people remember is the time when he gave it up.

It will be interesting to see how he does in a different system. I guess he could look lost without Julien & Ramsay & be an even riskier "Riverboat gambler", or he could feel a little more free and his skills could shine even more.

We shall see.

As for Horton's wrist shot release, that sounds a lot like Michael Ryder to me. So the Bruins could have 2 right-handed wingers with absolutely deadly wrist shots, but Bruins coaches will spend the whole year begging them to get it off more quickly.

If Horton shows some emotion and is involved in every game, then he will be loved. I happen to be of the opinion that people don't change much, however. Either way, he's an instant improvement to the Bruins wingers and he would have led the Bruins in scoring last season while playing only 60+ games for a non-playoff team in an off year.

Probably a good trade for both teams, with the #15 pick being the wildcard that will decide the outcome in a few years.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
As for Horton's wrist shot release, that sounds a lot like Michael Ryder to me. So the Bruins could have 2 right-handed wingers with absolutely deadly wrist shots, but Bruins coaches will spend the whole year begging them to get it off more quickly.

If Horton shows some emotion and is involved in every game, then he will be loved. I happen to be of the opinion that people don't change much, however. Either way, he's an instant improvement to the Bruins wingers and he would have led the Bruins in scoring last season while playing only 60+ games for a non-playoff team in an off year.

Probably a good trade for both teams, with the #15 pick being the wildcard that will decide the outcome in a few years.
If you coaches can teach Horton to have a faster wrist shot, then damn, you got a player on a great contract.
I have no doubt he will play like the Horton we thought we were going to get when we drafted him. He is in a winning franchise, a lot more pressure will be on him and he'll be in more of a hockey town. I wish him the best of luck with the Bruins, even though he was a floater here minus this past year.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:55 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
If you coaches can teach Horton to have a faster wrist shot, then damn, you got a player on a great contract.
I have no doubt he will play like the Horton we thought we were going to get when we drafted him. He is in a winning franchise, a lot more pressure will be on him and he'll be in more of a hockey town. I wish him the best of luck with the Bruins, even though he was a floater here minus this past year.
Tough to say, cause honestly I think the same thing initially. But, in the end, the attitude, and the playmate, will go with him to Boston. The Bruins lacked even more offensive force than us... Knowing Nate he'll probably get extremely discouraged and fall back into his old habits. If not, he'll certainly be an all-star. It will hurt to be hearing his name come playoff time, especially if we're not in.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
Haha, yea well it's definitely seen better days. The problem is we need defensive defensemen... Tallon has been preaching this since day one. Is this guy considered a defensive guy with a nice shot, or another offensive defenseman?
He's an offensive D but only in inclination. When he decides to drop back and play D he's as good as anyone, but he tries to transition into offense in the first chance he gets and sometimes he gets burnt doing it. In a proper aggressive scheme he might thrive as a player who can block or intercept a shot and send it downriver to a wing for a scoring chance. He did a lot of that for the Bruins, if the Panthers have faster wings than the Bruins (not difficult to achieve) he may thrive in Florida..

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
djwilson19

Sorry, but this perfectly sums up what to expect from Wideman...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdX_A2iLuM&feature=fvw

djwilson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilson19 View Post

Wow, that's good comedy...

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:

Bitter much....

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
djwilson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Bitter much....
What? 1st of all this is one of the funniest hockey 'highlights' I have ever seen...2ndly its from his days in ST LOUIS...and was posted on the Boston pages when the Bruins added him back then...and I LAUGHED and was what like 'dear lord this is what we just got?'...now he is yours! Hahaha! Trust me DW will drive you NUTS!

djwilson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
What? 1st of all this is one of the funniest hockey 'highlights' I have ever seen...2ndly its from his days in ST LOUIS...and was posted on the Boston pages when the Bruins added him back then...and I LAUGHED and was what like 'dear lord this is what we just got?'...now he is yours! Hahaha! Trust me DW will drive you NUTS!
I understand but dont make it seem like that one clip you posted is what wideman is all about. Wideman has some good parts to his game too, and I bet there are dozens of good players in the nhl who have produced some funny clips, so dont make wideman seem like a train wreck when he is not. Sometimes players play better with there new team. He has some upside , Im sick of the bruins fans that come on here and trash wideman, its not like the panthers come on ur board and show u every lazy example of horton . Why do fans need to trash a player when they leave, to make themselves feel better about the player leaving there team. Not all bruins fans are like this , some actually point good and bad parts which is fair to me

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
I understand but dont make it seem like that one clip you posted is what wideman is all about. Wideman has some good parts to his game too, and I bet there are dozens of good players in the nhl who have produced some funny clips, so dont make wideman seem like a train wreck when he is not. Sometimes players play better with there new team. He has some upside , Im sick of the bruins fans that come on here and trash wideman, its not like the panthers come on ur board and show u every lazy example of horton . Why do fans need to trash a player when they leave, to make themselves feel better about the player leaving there team. Not all bruins fans are like this , some actually point good and bad parts which is fair to me
I have been a B's fan for over 50 years and have ST next to the B's bench. Wides has been my favorite defenseman for a couple of years.

Most of the STH who sit near me like Wides. He seems like a good kid too .

I will miss the kid. I think the B's may regret this trade.

06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
vipersno8

Has there actually been any comments from Wideman about the trade yet!!!

read so comments from Ballard, but nothing from Wideman!!!!

I might have missed them, but dont want another Kilger!!!

vipersno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersno8 View Post
Has there actually been any comments from Wideman about the trade yet!!!

read so comments from Ballard, but nothing from Wideman!!!!

I might have missed them, but dont want another Kilger!!!
Kilger retired due to personal reasons, not because he got traded to the Panthers. The board's rules do not permit anyone from saying what the reason was, but there was a valid reason. Wideman will report.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
vipersno8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Kilger retired due to personal reasons, not because he got traded to the Panthers. The board's rules do not permit anyone from saying what the reason was, but there was a valid reason. Wideman will report.
Yeah, should have done some research!!!

Wasn't easy finding out why, but best left alone now i guess!!!!

Still seems a bit weird not to hear a word from Wideman yet, been a week or so!!

vipersno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Ballard
2009-10 Florida NHL 82 8 20 28 -7
2008-09 Florida NHL 82 6 28 34 14
2007-08 Phoenix NHL 82 6 15 21 7

Wideman
2009-10 Boston NHL 76 6 24 30 -14
2008-09 Boston NHL 79 13 37 50 32
2007-08 Boston NHL 81 13 23 36 11

Looks alot like Ballard he had a bad year last year I hope he bounces back. Ballard was a little more durable but Wideman scores more. But there sure aren't as many Panthers fans jumping on Ballard as there are Boston fans jumping on Wideman. And Ballard tried to kill his own goalie.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote