HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec signs 6 year/30 million deal (includes NTC)

Old
06-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
You ungrateful clown. HE TOOK A PAY CUT. He loves montreal.
Sniff sniff... awwww... did I hurt your feelings?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Agreed. With few young players breaking through the Habs have relied on UFAs to build a core. Hopefully the young talent will develop (K brothers, Pouliot, Eller, PK, Price) and provide the team with cheap talent. The Habs are prooly best to keep the K brothers as won't get much for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
just going to throw my 2 cents into the masses of opinions.

This signing is exactly what I expected to see, although I thought it might of been a 5 year deal.

On the open market, Plekanec probably gets a $5.5M-$6M deal. So imo, there is a bit of a hometown discount, expecially when you consider with the Quebec taxes he is probably going to net alot less than if he signed elsewhere.

Also for those who complain about how we should of never let this guy get this close to UFA status, let's remember two things.

1) After 2008-2009 disappointing season, I think 95% of the people here would of thought is was a terrible idea to sign Plekanec long term to a deal in the $4M a year range.....and if you don't think it would of been that high, think to yourself, what would be Plekanec's motivation to sign a long term deal only being one year away from UFA status?

2) At mid season last year people were already talking like Plekanec was going to cost alot more than this to re-sign. This isn't a bad number for a good two way centre would get generate offence, play the PK, etc.

I'm not greatly excited about the 5M a year cap hit, but then again, I can't remember a UFA or potential UFA signing I didn't wish was $500,000 less or more per year. I wish we would of gotten Gionta for $4M a year cap hit, Cammy for $5M a year cap hit, etc. All UFA numbers are skewed by the fact that the open market inflated numbers. Overall I'm OK with this number, which is about the best I can be with a UFA signing.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sampollock

Need Wingers Of Size, Or This Is A Mute Point

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
m00ks

People may scream overpaid but I think they fail to realize how CRUCIAL signing him was. Not only do we have no immediate replacement for him but he can be a perennial 70+ point player if surrounded properly. Anything over 5 would have been difficult to stomach but this contract seems like fair game. Here's hoping he finds consistency and an untapped offensive reserve.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
What upsets me is not the amount they ended up paying because like many have said you were never going to get him for 4m when he's a UFA in 2 weeks. What upsets me is the constant lack of foresight. Why don't they ever foresee certain things? Other teams lock players up early before they have career years and don't have to overpay. Yet the Habs always hand out those 1 or 2 year deals and then bite themselves in the ass when the player has a career year and then have to shell out the big bucks. It baffles me.
When would you have wanted them to do that? During a 70 point season? After a first round against Washington? The only reason this number came down to $5m is because he faded in the Pittsburgh and Philly series on the scoresheet. During the year there is no way he'd have signed for under $5m.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Scotianhab

I don't mind the 5 million. I was hoping for 4-5 years though. Our top 4 forwards will be here for awhile. We won't have to rush Kristo, Leblanc etc which is nice.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
$5 million a year, for two, maybe three years, would have been decent.

I think over 6 years, that's a bit too much. $4.25 at the most would have been reasonable but I guess this is why I work in a warehouse and the people working the front office are the people giving the numbers for the contract.

The good news is, Plecky is a Hab for another six years (should he not be traded). The bad news is, we now have quite a lot of money put into the centres on the team.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
I don't mind the 5 million. I was hoping for 4-5 years though. Our top 4 forwards will be here for awhile. We won't have to rush Kristo, Leblanc etc which is nice.
good point, we can finaly properly develop prospects

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:06 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He was a home grown late bloomer hence why he didnt cost the Habs 2 first round picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleaves View Post
When Plekanec was 21, and 22 years old... How many points did he get?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:06 PM
kernkraft

Can we really win it all with Gomez and Plekanec as our top-2?

We now have 4 players (Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec) under 5'11 signed for 5m$ or more for the next 5 years.

I know it's the new NHL, but can you win the cup with that? No one has done it yet...

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I understand Pyatt contributions and I appreciate his effort a lot and I'm glad he's on the team and he's a lock to start the year in Montréal (despite a very bad camp) but Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri - the three of them - have been more important to the Canadiens. Goals are still the most useful thing in hockey. (And don't come with the Gomez's three goals thing argument versus Pyatt's two, cause Gomez play led to many other goals)

But now that you have added forward, I see your point and yes, now that's arguable.
Actually, Gomez only had two goals. Also, one of Pyatt's two goals was a GWG.

But when you speak of goals, is preventing goals not just as big? Last I checked, Pyatt was shutting down some elite talent in the playoffs on the PK.

He moved up from minimal PK time to being on the 1st unit with Plekanec. He played just 1:08 minutes per game in the regular season on the PK, but in the playoffs he moved up to just under 3 minutes per game. That's a huge leap.

Add into the fact that he brought great forechecking, good defense, some minor offensive contributions, and most importantly, just 2 penalty minutes and I have to be thrilled. It was his first year in the NHL (40 regular season games).

When I wrote arguably, I felt the comparables were Gionta, Lapierre, and Moore. Gomez and Plekanec had spurts of greatness, but struggled too much in other aspects to be that high for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

We now have 4 players (Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec) under 5'11 signed for 5m$ or more for the next 5 years.

I know it's the new NHL, but can you win the cup with that? No one has done it yet...
It's definitely possible.

Give us Markov back this year and I'm not sure Philadelphia beats us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
$5 million a year, for two, maybe three years, would have been decent.

I think over 6 years, that's a bit too much. $4.25 at the most would have been reasonable but I guess this is why I work in a warehouse and the people working the front office are the people giving the numbers for the contract.

The good news is, Plecky is a Hab for another six years (should he not be traded). The bad news is, we now have quite a lot of money put into the centres on the team.
It's unfortunate that Quebec has the tax laws they do, because really at $5M that's a hometown discount. Maybe if we were somewhere else, he could have been signed for something like $4.5M. He likely could of garnered near $6M on the open market since the battle would have been between him and Marleau - and Plekanec is a lot younger.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:13 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
a)
c) the habs $5M a year player can play defence, play the PK, etc. Kessel..um, not so much.
This what these guys are getting for contracts! they get about 1.5M less in A RFA contract.

Since the lockout:

Bolland: (3.375 rfa contract)
160GM 29G 51A 80P .50P/GM

Zajac: (3.9M RFA)
326GM 76G 129A 205P .63P/GM

Kesler: (5.0M RFA)
374GM 88G 122A 200P .53P/GM

Plekanec (5M UFA)
385GM 103G 151A 254P .66P/GM

Horcoff (3.6M RFA) (5.5M UFA)
369GM 89G 174A 263P .71P/GM

Plekanec signed the single year 2.75M because of the ****** year.

If he had a better year, you probably would have got a 3-5 year contract in the 4-4.75M range at that time. But payed slightly higher than the 3.6-4M for some of the UFA years.

The cap hit for a two way center who is in the 20th-40th place point range for centers each year gets 5M.

The average salary was 5.5M for ufa contracts last year.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
maci4life

today, the habs brass has told us that they are happy with the status quo. 5 more years of mediocrity and fighting for 8th place coming right up.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I think it's a bit harsh when you take the numbers VS length of the deal.

I like Plekanec but 5M is an absolute top number for him. It goes without saying that over long term, there should be a rebate for that.

It's tough to justify more than 4.25 per for a 6-year deal. And personally, I wouldn't be comfortable doing that but it would still be reasonable. 4.5M/4 years would have been a good deal, I think.

He's a solid team player but we're far from a gamebreaker here and he doesn't have any edge to him. And those who say he has been improving every year are smoking drugs. He hasn't exactly been consistent.
4.25 4.5M or 5M, its a difference of 750 000$ at worst, cant say we overpaid that much to keep a key player like Plekanec, one of the best 2-way centers in the league.. I think its a solid deal, we locked a guy working extremmely hard every games, always reliable defensively, can play the PK and the PP.. He is also a guy we can count on every seasons, extremmely resistent, stocky, barely never injured..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
GoodKiwi

Excellent deal, love it!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
today, the habs brass has told us that they are happy with the status quo. 5 more years of mediocrity and fighting for 8th place coming right up.
Which other, better offensive center is available?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
lou4gehrig

So who would you rather have? Ribeiro for $5M, Pleks for $5M or Spezza for $7M?

Feel free to throw other "decent" centers and deals they've signed recently.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Sniff sniff... awwww... did I hurt your feelings?
No you did not hurt my feeling at all. Your opinion does not count since all you do is complain and say dumb things that mean nothing. How about you get some facts and then get back to me. thanks...clown

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:18 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

A top 3 of Gomez-Plekanec-Eller is the best center lineup we have had in over a decade.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
kent_carlson

Did we give Plekanec a NTC?

While everyone is giving his opinion on the deal, do we know if
he now has a NTC?

Feel free to merge eventually ...

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Schooner Guy

I don't like the Pleks contract....too much cap space. However, we couldn't afford to be without Pleks and I'd rather have him back with us than be forced to feed Eller to the wolves as a Top 6 centre.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
You know they have a team in TO, dont need to bother with habs fans and this mediocracy.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
EmelinBOOM74
NHL Managerial Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Let's say that Plekanec signed a 5 year deals and Gomez is here for 5 more years too... So Eller is our third center for 5 years? Comon...
If they are determined to play Eller as a centre, Gomez or Plekanec will be traded in 2-3 years.

EmelinBOOM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

vCash: 612
Hopefully they find him a winger that will carry him in the playoffs.

Don't know about this deal. Last time he got a lot of points he followed it up with 30 less the next year.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
A top 3 of Gomez-Plekanec-Eller is the best center lineup we have had in over a decade.
it is true, if we could sign a top 6 soild go to the net winger for gomer.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote