HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec signs 6 year/30 million deal (includes NTC)

Old
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I agree....but we MUST get rid of Sergei so there are no distractions for Andrei and if he plays lights out this season, then re-sign him....but if he keeps being a no-show like much of this season, trade him at all costs at the trade deadline.
This is what i was thinking. Its stupid to trade Andrei unless its for a direct need. If Sergei gets his head screwed on right or hes traded Andrei may play much better. Andrei has 1 year left so its all fine if he has a subpar season imo. I think we will be surprised with AK46 next year.

Marc BargainBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
maybe overpaid but the qc taxes will take alot off him muhahaha

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednified View Post
It's a fair signing and I'm glad we didn't lose him for nothing, but I don't know if Gomez-Plekanec is the duo to get us to the promised land. Part of me wanted someone a lot meaner in the 2 spot behind Gomez.
Like... Jokinen? Lombardi.... Cullen?

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
zzoo

$5M/year is just a bit much. $4M - $4.5M would be great.
I think Habs slightly lose in this contract negotiation.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Andrei is soft as crap 2 games out of three. When he doesn't score, he's downright a liability on the ice, and he and his brother are headcases.

I want both of them gone. We need that cap space too badly. You know Burke will make the Leafs grittier when July 1st comes. The Bruins just got bigger, and Murray from Ottawa is always looking to get some grit. We need a rugged winger on a line with Plekanec and Cammalleri.
If there's a legitimate plan to replace AK with someone more consistent and someone who's a legit top 6 player, I'm fine with it. But I'd give one last chance to him personally. He has a lot of potential and while he might be an enigmatic player, sometimes those issues resolve themselves over time.

I just think it would be stupid to just get rid of him for nothing. He only has one year left on his contract so it's not like we have our hands tied with him.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
great
5 million a year for a playoff magician...
turns invisable

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dylbot

23.357 million tied up in Gomez, Plekanec, Cammalleri and Gionta for the next four years.

Average height: 5'9" 1/2

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i would assume we stand pat yes, imo i want to see AK next year, would be a confidence boost for him hopefully if he stays, and could be a fruitfull 3.5mil year, since im sure he will have something to prove (and juic himself up for new contract)

meessa happy.
I'm not willing to wait for another year, to potentially be drastically disappointed in him and his brother again.

I've been patient with them and kept defending them for a while, but the way Andrei played in the playoffs, and the way Sergei shied out from basically any single physical contact convinced me. They just must leave.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Thanks for your meaningless opinion.

this is a message board , where people post opinions

you're such a tool !!!!

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Camalleri - Plekanec - VACANT
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Pyatt
White - Moore - Moen

Kind of what I'm pushing for right now.

Move the Kostitsyn's for a winger. If we have to add a draft pick, do it. I'd love to get Patrick Sharp for both Kostitsyns and maybe a draft pick. That would look sick.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Funny that we were able to shut down 4 of the best players in the NHL and Cammalleri scored a bunch of goals yet Plekanec disapeared

I guess "knowledgeable" Hab fans would rather have a guy putting up a point per game and floating at center ice than playing a team game, plying both ways and shutting down top players on the opposition.
Huh? You cannot deny he disappeared as the playoffs went one...he was awesome against the Caps, inconsistent against the Pens, and laughable against the Flyers. I'd like to see more consistency from him, that's all...if he can deliver in the playoffs at the other end of the ice in more consistent fashion (I didn't say anything about his defensive play, which was excellent as always), then I think most of us complaining he got too much won't have anything to complain about anymore.

I don't doubt Plek's motivation or drive, he seems like a very candid guy who genuinely cares about what happens on the ice (unlike some players we've had over the years), I just hope the term and dollar will be worth it in the end past the season.

Thank you for the compliment, by the way, we "knowledgeable" fans should get a beer sometime.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
lou4gehrig

Not a bad contract. Hopefully he has the confidence now to take it to the next level and be a true top line center.

If not, $5M/year is still cheap enough to be a good tradeable asset down the road.

A bit of an overpayment, but keeping a good, valuable asset in the long run.

All we gotta do now is find Pleks and Camm a real RW to play with.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Chuck the Bean

Plekanec signed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...1_accueil_POS3

6 years/30 milions

Chuck the Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Pyatt
White - Moore - Moen

Move the Kostitsyn's for a winger. If we have to add a draft pick, do it. I'd love to get Patrick Sharp for both Kostitsyns and maybe a draft pick. That would look sick.
Sharp is prolly gonna stay with Chicago . The players that seem available is Ladd and buff. I'd rather have Ladd. he will cost less, but I'll take either at this point. We need someone mean on pleks line. Akost almost pulled it off.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
Quote:
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Pyatt
White - Moore - Moen

Chicago has said yesterday the Sharp will not be available. Ladd, Versteeg, and buff are.

Marc BargainBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

was hoping he doesnt get anything over 4.5 and 3-4 years max if he does resign but hopefully he can have back2back good seasons to show hes worth the contract either way im happy cuz it means Hamrlik is likely gone woooooooo

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

The length is a bit too long but the value is fair for Plekanec's contribution this season.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
TheBuriedHab

Well pleks was basically our shutdown center vs Pittsburgh. Against Philly he had to face Chris Pronger. Pronger basically shutdown the whole Toews Kane Buff Line until they split them up. I think Montreal is building up 3 offensive lines like chicago so they can get away from shutdown pairings in the playoffs. This team will be alot more dangerous if we can add some offense on the third line.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
this is a message board , where people post opinions

you're such a tool !!!!
This is a Habs message board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt most Habs fans want to read Leafs fans ******** on their signings. Maybe it's just me.

Sebaldian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
What did you think he would've signed for?
LOL Darche is a 13th forward making league minimun and you consider it bad
Eller is a cheap centerman who will be in our top 9
Agree with you

This signing of Plekanec is the first bad move of Gauthier.
He will regret shortly

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Huh? You cannot deny he disappeared as the playoffs went one...he was awesome against the Caps, inconsistent against the Pens, and laughable against the Flyers. I'd like to see more consistency from him, that's all...if he can deliver in the playoffs at the other end of the ice in more consistent fashion (I didn't say anything about his defensive play, which was excellent as always), then I think most of us complaining he got too much won't have anything to complain about anymore.

I don't doubt Plek's motivation or drive, he seems like a very candid guy who genuinely cares about what happens on the ice (unlike some players we've had over the years), I just hope the term and dollar will be worth it in the end past the season.

Thank you for the compliment, by the way, we "knowledgeable" fans should get a beer sometime.
While I agree with you about his incosistency in the playoffs, he was our third best offensive forward behind only Gionta and Cammalleri - who are both paid as much or more.

It'd be really nice if our $7M+ forward could step up in a bigger way though. It'd take a lot of the pressure off of Plekanec and other guys.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednified View Post
It's a fair signing and I'm glad we didn't lose him for nothing, but I don't know if Gomez-Plekanec is the duo to get us to the promised land. Part of me wanted someone a lot meaner in the 2 spot behind Gomez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
23.357 million tied up in Gomez, Plekanec, Cammalleri and Gionta for the next four years.

Average height: 5'9" 1/2
Eller can possibly play as a winger in the top 6 and has been heralded as a player not afraid of the rough stuff.

If Pouliot does as he said he would, he could come into camp with a legit NHL body (one can hope).

Then all of a Sudden, you've got 2 guys with size on your top 6. Plus, we can maybe add a little bit of size and sandpaper in our bottom six.

I'm not overly concerned with the size factor.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
VO5

Quote:
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Pyatt
White - Moore - Moen

Hamrlik for Kovalev?

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Pyatt
White - Moore - Moen

Chicago is looking to dump salary, I'm think with Sergei signed and AK's money it would be more money going to Chicago.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Only time will tell if this was a good signing. Seems a bit high to me, for an extra 1 or 1.5 mil I would have gone after Marleau. We now have Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Plekanec all 5+ million long term, which is a long commitment to the core, but is it a winning formula? And with Gomez through 13/14 and Plekanec through 14/15, where does that leave Eller?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote