HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Hockey Hall of Fame Candidates - Ciccarelli, Granato, James - No Burns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
  #26
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,814
vCash: 118
Burnsie not getting in is absolutely unforgivable in my book.

GOD I'm so angry right now.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
  #27
DontWorryAboutMyCap
 
DontWorryAboutMyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
There's inflated stats, and then there's 600 freaking goals. Ciccarelli deserves to be in. Maybe Scotty can introduce Dino at the induction ceremony, with a simple "you're next!"

DontWorryAboutMyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
  #28
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcet View Post
There's inflated stats, and then there's 600 freaking goals. Ciccarelli deserves to be in. Maybe Scotty can introduce Dino at the induction ceremony, with a simple "you're next!"

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
  #29
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,443
vCash: 500
Ehhh..... I'm not sure I get the Pat Burns for HOF talk. He had a very good coaching record to be sure. But he also tended to, for the most part, coach good teams. A great coach? Sure. A no-brainer HOF selection? I'm not so sure.

As for Dino? He should have been in the HOF long ago, I dont even think I've heard anyone debate that until now. It was his personal life that some assumed had kept him out until this point, but he's one of the best former players not in the HOF, that's for sure.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  #30
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcet View Post
There's inflated stats, and then there's 600 freaking goals. Ciccarelli deserves to be in. Maybe Scotty can introduce Dino at the induction ceremony, with a simple "you're next!"
600 goals, 1200 points. The only 600 goal player not to get in yet (among elligible players). 16th all time in goals. More points than such luminaries as Fedorov, Mogilny, Bobby Hull, and Dale Hunter.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
  #31
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,814
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Ehhh..... I'm not sure I get the Pat Burns for HOF talk. He had a very good coaching record to be sure. But he also tended to, for the most part, coach good teams. A great coach? Sure. A no-brainer HOF selection? I'm not so sure.

As for Dino? He should have been in the HOF long ago, I dont even think I've heard anyone debate that until now. It was his personal life that some assumed had kept him out until this point, but he's one of the best former players not in the HOF, that's for sure.
A man with no formal hockey experience wins 3 Jack Adams awards with 3 different teams, is 12th all time in wins, and has a Cup.

I can believe lightning striking once, but 3 times in a career? Burnsie was a special coach.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
  #32
DontWorryAboutMyCap
 
DontWorryAboutMyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
When you're inducting Bernie Federko and Clarke Gillies - two players I liked, but come on - Dino should have been a while ago. Nieuwendyk and Gilmour deserved to get in this year too.

DontWorryAboutMyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
  #33
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
O_o
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,858
vCash: 425
My unofficial HHOF announcement:

Ciccarelli, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk & Burns

That's something I would applaud. Not the B-list that was announced today.

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
  #34
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
  #35
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
A man with no formal hockey experience wins 3 Jack Adams awards with 3 different teams, is 12th all time in wins, and has a Cup.

I can believe lightning striking once, but 3 times in a career? Burnsie was a special coach.
And maybe you're 100% right, I just dont think it's so crystal clear and obvious that so many posters here want to storm Toronto with lanterns and pitchforks. Some folks are acting like Mario got denied.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
  #36
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcet View Post
When you're inducting Bernie Federko and Clarke Gillies - two players I liked, but come on - Dino should have been a while ago. Nieuwendyk and Gilmour deserved to get in this year too.
The only reason Dino wasn't in was because of his off-ice antics. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Not the Hockey Hall of Fame and Gentleman's club.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
  #37
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
A man with no formal hockey experience wins 3 Jack Adams awards with 3 different teams, is 12th all time in wins, and has a Cup.

I can believe lightning striking once, but 3 times in a career? Burnsie was a special coach.
Well said - he had a hell of a career.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
  #38
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
O_o
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,858
vCash: 425
no sex in the champagne room!

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
  #39
DontWorryAboutMyCap
 
DontWorryAboutMyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
And maybe you're 100% right, I just dont think it's so crystal clear and obvious that so many posters here want to storm Toronto with lanterns and pitchforks. Some folks are acting like Mario got denied.
It's not just posters here. I have polled the Internets, and they are pissed.

DontWorryAboutMyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
  #40
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
The only reason Dino wasn't in was because of his off-ice antics. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Not the Hockey Hall of Fame and Gentleman's club.
Pete Rose has a similar beef. The guy might be trailor-trash, but let the guy in already. Once they found he didnt bet against the Reds, it shouldnt have been a big deal.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
  #41
DontWorryAboutMyCap
 
DontWorryAboutMyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
The only reason Dino wasn't in was because of his off-ice antics. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. Not the Hockey Hall of Fame and Gentleman's club.
No question, hanging out on your front lawn with no pants on isn't going to help get you in

DontWorryAboutMyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
  #42
Goose Huckabee
Registered User
 
Goose Huckabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
And maybe you're 100% right, I just dont think it's so crystal clear and obvious that so many posters here want to storm Toronto with lanterns and pitchforks. Some folks are acting like Mario got denied.
It's the fact that the guy is basically on his deathbed that makes things different. They have to look past whether he is at the absolute top of the class and deserves to be in right away and ask: "Is this guy a hall of famer eventually?" realize the answer is yes, and then put him in now while the man can still appreciate it and I'm sure relay some heart-melting speech.

**** that committee.

Goose Huckabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
  #43
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
O_o
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,858
vCash: 425
HHOF comment of the day;

Quote:
So happy to see 2 ladies making it before Lindros

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
  #44
DontWorryAboutMyCap
 
DontWorryAboutMyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
It's the fact that the guy is basically on his deathbed that makes things different. They have to look past whether he is at the absolute top of the class and deserves to be in right away and ask: "Is this guy a hall of famer eventually?" realize the answer is yes, and then put him in now while the man can still appreciate it and I'm sure relay some heart-melting speech.

**** that committee.
Absolutely. Also, Pat has a special place for us too in that he never experienced the "falling out" phase of his career with us. No disrespect, but Pat Burns' career was a sequence of honeymoon/success then a falling out which is typical of all demanding coaches. Couple that with him having his greatest success with the Devils, and yeah, hand me a pitchfork.

DontWorryAboutMyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
  #45
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens
 
Das Uber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: United States
Posts: 23,798
vCash: 500
No Burns = Super lame.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
  #46
Just Win
Free Larsson
 
Just Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 50
Are you ****ing kidding me? It is good that Dino finally gets in and if they start including female players okay, no problem. But snubbing Burns is not only making them look damn idiots but also like heartless *******s. WTF.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
  #47
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Clearly the hockey HOF and the baseball HOF work in very different manners.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
  #48
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
600 goals, 1200 points. The only 600 goal player not to get in yet (among elligible players). 16th all time in goals. More points than such luminaries as Fedorov, Mogilny, Bobby Hull, and Dale Hunter.
Dave Andreychuk?

I'm also disgusted that Burns didn't get in. Everyone on the selection committee should be ashamed of themselves.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
  #49
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Very upsetting that Burns couldn't get in. Especially in a down year for candidates and after seeing some of the people that got voted in.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
  #50
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Why is it so hard for the bigwigs in sports to do the right thing? I honestly think people enjoy going against the curve just because they are afraid someone might think they didn't think for themselves and fell for the popular choice, it happens all the time and it makes me sick.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.