HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov won't be returning next season

Old
06-23-2010, 02:03 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 500
I am going to cry when he wins the cup next year.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
I am going to cry when he wins the cup next year.
Tears of joy for me, unless he beats out the Sharks.

Karl with a C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:59 AM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Tears of joy for me, unless he beats out the Sharks.
pretty much, regardless of where he ends up I will cheer for him...unless he plays the Sharks, then I will hope they shoot 5 hole all day long

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:24 AM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
pretty much, regardless of where he ends up I will cheer for him...unless he plays the Sharks, then I will hope they shoot 5 hole all day long
That should work for the Sharks, considering they seem to have great trouble lifting the puck.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
goalsversusthreshold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage_goal View Post
I am sad to see Nabokov go, even though I agree it's probably the right move.

I can't say I am as excited about using some cheap, unproven (probably) goaltenders next season as everyone else is. There's been all this talk about how the "Detroit" model is the way to go now. I agree there's definitely a trend of the goaltending position diminishing in importance, but that's all it is - a trend. The world has not been turned on its head.

We'll see how important goaltending is next season, I think. We'll see how soft goals can completely deflate a team. We'll watch some other goaltender steal a game while our goaltender plays "OK", and wonder what it would be like if we had that happen once in a while.
(Obviously all this would, and has happened, with Nabokov too - we'll just see more of this)

As someone else said earlier, the Sharks window is closing. They didn't get it done, and now those cheap, young, good players aren't so cheap anymore. Nabby is the first major casualty. Make no mistake, the Sharks are going to be a weaker team next year.

Now having said all that - if the Sharks are going to be weaker, I prefer they shore up the blueline and roll the dice on the goaltender. I'd love to see Greiss (or a signed journeyman like Ellis) step up and be the next Niemi. Does seem like a longshot, but it's probably the best way to go for this team.
It's even more deflating to lose the goaltending battle when yours is making twice as much as the other.

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Komarov47

i think Nabby will sign a big juicy contract in KHL $$$. I don't see any nhl team take a bet with him unless Philly(hey, they signed Emery next year )

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
i think Nabby will sign a big juicy contract in KHL $$$. I don't see any nhl team take a bet with him unless Philly(hey, they signed Emery next year )
Except that Atlanta makes a lot of sense. They have tons of cap space, need a goalie, and Nabby's wife is from the south (he met her while playing for the Kentucky Thoroughblades of the AHL, our then AHL affiliate). Makes too much sense. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big money contract from ATL on July 1.

ChompChomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Except that Atlanta makes a lot of sense. They have tons of cap space, need a goalie, and Nabby's wife is from the south (he met her while playing for the Kentucky Thoroughblades of the AHL, our then AHL affiliate). Makes too much sense. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big money contract from ATL on July 1.
Ondrej Pavlec sends his greetings from the dirty south, welcomes Evgeni Nabokov, and invites him to have a seat on the bench.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Sorry if someone mentioned it before... but a Nabby / Boosh tandem in Philly would be pretty funny.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
Ondrej Pavlec sends his greetings from the dirty south, welcomes Evgeni Nabokov, and invites him to have a seat on the bench.
Pavlec could hardy outplay Hedberg. They were 1 / 1 for most the season. Nabokov would be #1 the moment he landed there.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Pavlec could hardy outplay Hedberg. They were 1 / 1 for most the season. Nabokov would be #1 the moment he landed there.
There was a reason Lehtonen was moved out, it was because Waddell & co. determined that the future was in Pavlec. Either way, Nabokov, at this stage in his career is looking to push a team over the top for a cup run, not to mentor, not yet. Two years maybe.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Blackbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresJoe View Post
Arguably the best goalie in Sharks history, too bad he's old and was never good enough to carry us to the cup.

True. I miss Irbe too

Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Blackbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
or short side, or unscreened wrister from the bluline, or with a pass or move that makes him move left to right or ...

Old
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Blackbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I agree with Chompchomp. I was wondering about russia too but Nabokov has a Kentucky wife and two American kids. I don't think he'd make them move to Russia plus I think he likes it here.

He should stay with the NHL because I think he has a strong future as a coach - and not just a goalie coach. Maybe a D coach to start. But he'll squeeze out a few more years of salary north of a couple million first I think.

Old
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
I agree with Chompchomp. I was wondering about russia too but Nabokov has a Kentucky wife and two American kids. I don't think he'd make them move to Russia plus I think he likes it here.

He should stay with the NHL because I think he has a strong future as a coach - and not just a goalie coach. Maybe a D coach to start. But he'll squeeze out a few more years of salary north of a couple million first I think.
you know a lot of NA players leave NHL/AHL for KHL or Europe. Just today Chris Bourque left for KHL. I don't think it wouldn't mind Nabby to leave and go back in Russia. It's a matter of $

Old
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
you know a lot of NA players leave NHL/AHL for KHL or Europe. Just today Chris Bourque left for KHL. I don't think it wouldn't mind Nabby to leave and go back in Russia. It's a matter of $
Nabokov's not going to the KHL. You can stop that nonsense here and now. The guys that go to the KHL go when they feel they're out of options. Nabokov will have options. Philly will be one. Washington will be one. Tampa Bay will be one. The Islanders will be one. Florida can be one if they move Vokoun and don't feel it would be best to bring any of their goalie prospects up just yet. What Nabby has going for him is that he's not likely to ask for a long term and teams that need stop gap solutions will be interested.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
ibleedblue247

Chirs Mason, Marty Turco or Dan Ellis will be in San Jose

ibleedblue247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:
I'm not sure Nabby qualifies as a bet by any team, compared to other goalies on the market, he's the closest to a sure thing in net. No doubt some team will pay him what he wants, probably 6m. TB or Philly seem to be a good fit.

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:24 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Nabokov's not going to the KHL. You can stop that nonsense here and now. The guys that go to the KHL go when they feel they're out of options. Nabokov will have options.
Completely agreed.

Out of options and/or want to return home (or near home).

Nabokov is American now. His wife is American. His kids are American. His wife's family is here. He is high up on the list of all-time NHL players.

He's not even really a Russian, he's a Kazakh. His homeland is a separate country now.

He might......MIGHT.....agree to take a lucrative 1-year deal after he retires from the NHL to spend a few months overseas in the KHL so that his parents could spend some time with his family......but even that's a stretch.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
He's not even really a Russian, he's a Kazakh. His homeland is a separate country now.
Ugh, this argument again... seriously people, America does not set a standard in defining someone's nationality. He's Russian. If I'm born in Russia, I am still Armenian. That's how it works on the Eastern hemisphere.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
This is a tough day for me. Nabakov is definatly one of my all time favorite sharks and his stretch during his rookie year is probably the best month of goaltending ive ever seen how ever i feel its time to move on. Over the last few seasons ive developed question marks regarding nabakovs playoff ability.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaiholla View Post
This is a tough day for me. Nabakov is definatly one of my all time favorite sharks and his stretch during his rookie year is probably the best month of goaltending ive ever seen how ever i feel its time to move on. Over the last few seasons ive developed question marks regarding nabakovs playoff ability.
^this is something I WONT miss, people constantly spelling his name wrong. You miss him yet you spell is name wrong. His name isn't Na-BACK-ov like some wisconsin yokel would say.

sorry, /rant.

Anyway: KHL, he's not going there, at least until his value here drops. He still dreams of winning the cup, and his wife would probably prefer to live in America and be at least within a shorter plane ride of her family(parents, relatives).

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
There are a lot of options out there and I'm not going to argue anyone's choices of what to do in this situation. There will be positives and negatives to any option we choose. I would just like for the blue liners to be more fluid with the pairings. I'd like to see Murray play regularly on the 3rd with Demers but I still want him to be able to take the occasional shift with Vlasic or a new guy. I think he can play the 20 minutes a night just not with Boyle against top opposition regularly.
WRT Murray, I think he grinds down and when he does, he is vulberable against almost anyone on the edge. I like him in the bottom pair as a physical defenseman. Put him in a role where he can skate fewer minutes and his speed is less of a detriment, and he is fresh to level someone or fight. We don't have a heavyweight on the team. I'm not sure we need one. But Murray in the bottom pair compensates for his weakness keeping his legs fresh, and better fits the team need for a tough defender. I like him on the team in that role, but agree we need two added to the top 4 now.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlittlefoot View Post
I'm not sure Nabby qualifies as a bet by any team, compared to other goalies on the market, he's the closest to a sure thing in net. No doubt some team will pay him what he wants, probably 6m. TB or Philly seem to be a good fit.
Speaking about cap space, only Tampa or Florida could sign him. Philly is full on cape space.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Komarov47

Just a question, is Greiss ready to take the #1 spot?