HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov won't be returning next season

Old
06-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Tealblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Just a question, is Greiss ready to take the #1 spot?
Not unless riding the bench for the season gave him experience. A nhl career high of 11 games started, sounds like he can take on 40 starts like nabby could.

While nabby only had a few ahl seasons before plunging into the nhl, he was nothing but spectacular in the first appearances he had as a shark. In nabby's first 3 games he allowed one goal on his first 58 shots.

In greiss' short appearances relieving nabby and those few starts he got, he's been mediocre to average. Never showing he could stand on his head.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do when given the opportunity to be the starter, and I wont write him off yet, but it's not like there are signs pointing toward him as even remotely ready.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Lebanezer

I haven't had time to read all the previous posts, but even though Karlsson signed in the KHL, is there a chance he gets brought in to fight for a job this year?

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
Not unless riding the bench for the season gave him experience. A nhl career high of 11 games started, sounds like he can take on 40 starts like nabby could.

While nabby only had a few ahl seasons before plunging into the nhl, he was nothing but spectacular in the first appearances he had as a shark. In nabby's first 3 games he allowed one goal on his first 58 shots.

In greiss' short appearances relieving nabby and those few starts he got, he's been mediocre to average. Never showing he could stand on his head.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do when given the opportunity to be the starter, and I wont write him off yet, but it's not like there are signs pointing toward him as even remotely ready.
As Drew stated for the last half of the seasons, he was shaky off the bench, but he was solid in his starts. No, he didn't have any real superman moments, but his start in Philly was admirable. I think Greiss can step up his game now that he has a season in the NHL and a legit chance at earning starts.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
wingsarekings*

I think with the signing of Marleau and Pavelski, it pretty much cancels out Mason and Turco, who would have probably wanted 3 mill or more. Fairly certain we don't trade for Thomas or Vokoun.

So...

It's down to: Ellis, Nittymaki, Toskala or Biron.

wingsarekings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:17 PM
coooldude

As others have stated, there's always the option of waiting until later in the season and then trading for a goalie. We will have assets and a better sense of what the team needs at that point, DW has done it before, and there is a precedent of success with guys like Roloson.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by warf1234 View Post
I think with the signing of Marleau and Pavelski, it pretty much cancels out Mason and Turco, who would have probably wanted 3 mill or more. Fairly certain we don't trade for Thomas or Vokoun.

So...

It's down to: Ellis, Nittymaki, Toskala or Biron.
I wouldn't rule out Turco. He's made close to 30 million over the last decade while playing in Texas with no state income tax. At age 35, I would think having a shot at winning a Cup would have higher priority than squeezing out an extra million with a less competitive club.

Seems like a buyer's market this year in terms of goalies. Sharks and the Flyers seem like the only high profile teams that are shopping for one.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:

The difference between Greiss's and Nabby's first starts were that Nabby was thrown into the fire almost immediately with the injury to Steve Shields. Greiss has only gotten a start here and there - sometimes having a month between starts. I think it's much tougher for a goalie to come in cold than to come in with pressure and start every day.

Greiss is unproven in that regard though. So who knows how he'll handle starting 3-4+ games in a row. We'll see though.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Greiss was never be able this last season to turn around a game after being sent in to relief Nabby, which has something to do that was called up in most cases when the loss was inevitable anyway. In his starts, he was above average if you count his starts only: .926 SVS and 2.34 GAA. Still a small sample size, but very respectable. The Sharks did not loose a single game he started because of his performance.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I haven't had time to read all the previous posts, but even though Karlsson signed in the KHL, is there a chance he gets brought in to fight for a job this year?
Nope, SJ signed Karlsson in december, then loaned him to Farjestad in SEL, and in june he signed in KHL, so i think SJ don't own his rights anymore. Doesn't San Jose signed a Finnish goalie ? And what about Stalock? Chris Mason anyone??

Last edited by Komarov47: 06-25-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Fred Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Nope, SJ signed Karlsson in december, then loaned him to Farjestad in SEL, and in june he signed in KHL, so i think SJ don't own his rights anymore. Doesn't San Jose signed a Finnish goalie ? And what about Stalock? Chris Mason anyone??
sateri is the finnish goalie whos still young and is gonna stay in finland, stalock unless he absolutely owns training camp and preseason will still get seasoning in the ahl. leaving him in a back up role not playing will be a waste of his development. so look for greiss to battle it out with a vet

Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:47 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
sateri is the finnish goalie whos still young and is gonna stay in finland, stalock unless he absolutely owns training camp and preseason will still get seasoning in the ahl. leaving him in a back up role not playing will be a waste of his development. so look for greiss to battle it out with a vet
sateri isnt that young and honestly, probably should head to north america relatively soon.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote