HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The problem is that with the UFA's you are going to over spend for a player for past performance. And if the cap goes down next year, that's a huge hit that keeps on growing. A trade with a deflated contract is a better move.
agreed

Old
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
The problem is that with the UFA's you are going to over spend for a player for past performance. And if the cap goes down next year, that's a huge hit that keeps on growing. A trade with a deflated contract is a better move.
Word at the draft was that teams with money to spend didn't have cap space to spend it. Likewise, teams with cap space available had no money to spend.

Every overpriced contract I see handed out today is a positive sign for me because it means that the cap will work and teams will be forced to make trades or release players to fit under the cap and redistribute the talent around the league...

Old
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Every overpriced contract I see handed out today is a positive sign for me because it means that the cap will work and teams will be forced to make trades or release players to fit under the cap and redistribute the talent around the league...
Poile said that last year and we all know how that worked out...

Old
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Word at the draft was that teams with money to spend didn't have cap space to spend it. Likewise, teams with cap space available had no money to spend.

Agreed. Which makes Nashville's situation interesting. They have a LOT of cheap forwards who can play in the NHL level. Don't think a team needing a cheap 4th liner won't call Nashville for a Sulzer or one of the forwards in Milwaukee. I count 21 forwards in the Nashville system who could play in the NHL with varying degrees of skill. (If you want to take out the Santorellis, that's 19) Defense: Weber-Suter-Franson-Klein-Boullion-Sulzer-Laakso-Blum Josi might be a stretch.

I would rather Nashville save cash for next year's expected drop in cap and rev. sharing.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Philly has signed Shelley, O'donald, and Coburn today, and still no goalie. I smell a trade coming. Hartnell back to nashville pretty please

Old
07-01-2010, 01:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Philly has signed Shelley, O'donald, and Coburn today, and still no goalie. I smell a trade coming. Hartnell back to nashville pretty please
No. I'm happy with the one guy who had reasons for underachieving.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
we have no NHL goalie to trade

Old
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
we have no NHL goalie to trade
sorry, didnt elaborate enough.

What i meant was that once Philly signs Mason/Turco/whoever, there gonna be in cap trouble, so we could trade for hartnell. No goalie would be involved from our side.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
I'd love this... but what goalie would we trade them?

Old
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Don't we have enough already?

Nice avatar btw

Old
07-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
as i said before, I'm not saying we trade them a goalie, Im saying they sign one and we take on some of their salary since they'll be way over.

Old
07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now. I'm looking at the list of players left and then the roster and saying to myself. "No Thanks." Honestly. The only guys left are players who are mental binkies: Belanger, Emery, Modano

Old
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Right now. I'm looking at the list of players left and then the roster and saying to myself. "No Thanks." Honestly. The only guys left are players who are mental binkies: Belanger, Emery, Modano
Emery is likely not to play this season. His career is in jeopardy due to injury...

I'm looking at guys like depth defensemen, veteran backup goalies, and AHL depth forwards myself...

Old
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Philly signed Leighton yesterday.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to ask, who is going to be the $650K Vet back up goalie. I see a bunch of guys looking at Europe and some who would like to get one more contract.

Theodore, Emery, Valiquette, Danis, Legace, Lalime, Nabakov, Dubielewicz, Turco, Grahame, Toskala, MacDonald.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 07-01-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

All I gather is this attitude of "what can these new guys/kids do for our team?" is nothing new. It seems like since the sale it's been the same. It got worse, with good reason, after Rads left. We might not be ok, but I've thought that so many times before and was proven wrong that I can only sit back and expect the unexpected.

Poile and Trotz... work your magic and make us all wonder how it was done. Just another day as a Preds fan.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
All I gather is this attitude of "what can these new guys/kids do for our team?" is nothing new. It seems like since the sale it's been the same. It got worse, with good reason, after Rads left. We might not be ok, but I've thought that so many times before and was proven wrong that I can only sit back and expect the unexpected.

Poile and Trotz... work your magic and make us all wonder how it was done. Just another day as a Preds fan.
It will all be ok. It's only been 6 hours and 39 minutes of free agency. Give it a few more days or weeks even and I'm sure things will become more clear.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It will all be ok. It's only been 6 hours and 39 minutes of free agency. Give it a few more days or weeks even and I'm sure things will become more clear.
The only deadline that really matters is the trade deadline. Your team can constantly evolve till then. Just tread water, get a playoff spot and then we shall see.

I'm STILL trying to figure out what this depth chart looks like. If both Andersson and Kostitsyn make the team Spaling is in Milwaukee.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I have to ask, who is going to be the $650K Vet back up goalie. I see a bunch of guys looking at Europe and some who would like to get one more contract.

Theodore, Emery, Valiquette, Danis, Legace, Lalime, Hedberg, Raycroft, Nabakov, Dubielewicz, Turco, Grahame, Toskala, MacDonald.
Hedberg and Raycroft signed.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
The only deadline that really matters is the trade deadline. Your team can constantly evolve till then. Just tread water, get a playoff spot and then we shall see.

I'm STILL trying to figure out what this depth chart looks like. If both Andersson and Kostitsyn make the team Spaling is in Milwaukee.
Or maybe Smithson gets traded and Spaling stays, which I would not be opposed to.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Theodore, Emery, Valiquette, Danis, Legace, Lalime, Hedberg, Raycroft, Nabakov, Dubielewicz, Turco, Grahame, Toskala, MacDonald.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us wait until we get a look at some of our youngins. A Finnish duo of Rinne/Engren could be sick. Plus Dekanich could possibly fill the spot.

If not, there will probably be some journeyman vet out there come September. I don't think we're in any hurry

Old
07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
roseyc

Quote:
They thought the cap was going down for this year and it went up

Old
07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I will agree that losing Arnott, Hamhuis and Ellis looks just like the fire sale we went through a few years ago losing Kimmo, Hartnell and Vokoun.
I agree. I've had a few casual fans ask me why the team is dumping more salary and asking why won't they spend any money.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have no problem with fans looking at what has happened this year and really questioning what is going on. At some point, this team needs to add. Add that player that is going to push us over the top. We have never done so EXCEPT in the Forsberg case. Who could have known that we would have a slew of injuries and Trotz would fall in love with Fiddler alongside of Forsberg........

I guess my point is - yeah, I get what management has done. I am happy with the moves for the most part. I thought moving Arnott was wise. I thought letting Hamhuis walk was the right thing to do (although we should have traded him last off-season...but I digress). We should not have qualified Grebeshekov. We got Ryan Parent and Sergei K. for free essentially - excellent decisions.

BUT - If the buck stops there, people should be a little frustrated. We did still lose our number 1 center and captain. We did still lose our no. 3 defenseman and the guy we brought in to compliment him on the blueline at the deadline. At some point, fans need reassurance, and Poile has not done that yet. It makes sense that people would look at the Predators casually and say.....Huh????

WITH THAT SAID, I am not giving this off-season a thumbs down. I am thrilled with most of the moves. Yes, I am still disappointed that we have yet to grow the stones/or maybe I should say business support to truly get this team what it needs - a bonafide scorer. However, I am fully aware of our limitations budget wise. But I am not going to lie - I, just like the casual fans, want that goal-scorer more than ever!

07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I agree. I've had a few casual fans ask me why the team is dumping more salary and asking why won't they spend any money.
They need some more owners who can add to the mix of the other owners so that we can a least have another forward that has the potential to score 30 plus goals

Closed Thread