HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
David Singleton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
From what I've read about SK and Lombardi they are both great set-up guys with speed. Is this skill-set key to a successful PP? Just asking. Also, don't think SK is the patient type, and will probably not hesitate to pull the trigger by passing or shooting. And that seemed the biggest problem last year. We either stood around looking for a passing lane or moved the puck to the blueline for a Weber bomb. Too much hesitation, trying not to waste the PP opportunity looking for the perfect pass that never materialized.

And hopefully they don't lolligag half of their time on ice like Arny. They'll certainly be hungrier than Arnott. And if 100% effort is not given they'll have to answer to their new captain.
This is a skill set the team already has (Legwand, Erat, Sullivan, and Dumont). Sergei's time in the NHL has never seen him put up even 2 shots on goal a game.

Again, I like both players. I like the fact that Arnott was traded. I'm excited for the upcoming season.

I do think the team has a big hole, however, in terms of having a player willing to put the puck on net.

Old
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
WartracePred

Yeah, can't argue with you about Leggy, Erat, Sully, and Dumont being set up guys. Though I will say Sully and Dumont have lost a step due to their age. If we need top notch talent to score on the PP, we'll never have success. Just can't afford to bring big money players to Nashville.

I do remember watching Wilson put the puck in the back of the net on a breakaway and thinking we finally found a finisher. Will Wilson get any PP time? Franson should continue to improve as well. Andersson is a big body. Any chance he stands in front of the net like Hornqvist? I feel like I'm grasping at straws. Somebody help me out here.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
Yeah, can't argue with you about Leggy, Erat, Sully, and Dumont being set up guys. Though I will say Sully and Dumont have lost a step due to their age. If we need top notch talent to score on the PP, we'll never have success. Just can't afford to bring big money players to Nashville.

I do remember watching Wilson put the puck in the back of the net on a breakaway and thinking we finally found a finisher. Will Wilson get any PP time? Franson should continue to improve as well. Andersson is a big body. Any chance he stands in front of the net like Hornqvist? I feel like I'm grasping at straws. Somebody help me out here.
I disagree with that. Erat, for example, will be paid $5,250,000 this season and $6 million next season.

It's definitely possible.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:45 PM
jlsg

If you look at last years PP stats, the teams that did well aren't always the team with the top talent. Obviously talent helps in all areas, but then why is Pittsburgh near the bottom. If it's about talent, then why is Philly and Montreal at the top of the list. The talented vs non-talented teams are all over the place. The cup winner is right in the middle at 16. At the NHL level the special teams is about system and matching a system to the skillset of the team.

Sorry David, the stats don't support your talent theory completely.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
If you look at last years PP stats, the teams that did well aren't always the team with the top talent. Obviously talent helps in all areas, but then why is Pittsburgh near the bottom. If it's about talent, then why is Philly and Montreal at the top of the list. The talented vs non-talented teams are all over the place. The cup winner is right in the middle at 16. At the NHL level the special teams is about system and matching a system to the skillset of the team.

Sorry David, the stats don't support your talent theory completely.
You make a lot of good points there too Jay (although I consider Philly one of the most talented outside of the crease).

Edited to add:

That said, I'd favor the odds of talent consistently producing over a system at the NHL level- provided the chemistry is right.

Last edited by David Singleton: 07-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

A team with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber on the points and Hornqvist upfront should have no trouble on the powerplay.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
A team with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber on the points and Hornqvist upfront should have no trouble on the powerplay.
Who are your wings with that set up?

Old
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Especially with Arnie outta the picture we have the younger guys hopefully making GOOD passes so we can control the puck not just wait for the arena to yell SHOOT! even tho its the worst time to shoot and they cough up the puck i really think that was one of our weaker points last season too (puck control). Lombardi and SK are bringing a little spice to this team in needed areas that earlier players didnt address.

now i just want to be in section 105 going crazy

Old
07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
While I believe that those three could help make the Predator's power play one of the most deadly, I still believe it needs another offensive force to take the defensive pressure from Weber.

Suter and another forward would run and distribute the puck. Weber and another forward would continually work to put the puck on the net while giving the defense two solid scorers for which to account.

Hornqvist is there to screen and put rebounds back while also drawing one of the defensemen in lower with him (with Wilson or Ward playing that role on the second unit).

The Predators have several options for that other playmaker to go with Suter (Dumont, Legwand and Lombardi all good choices). They have less options for that other scorer. Erat might work. Kostitsyn might work. As might Sullivan. For any of them to work, however, they need to be able to move without the puck and be quick with the decision to put the puck on net when it gets to them. The quick decision to put the puck on the net is what separates an Erat from an elite sniper to me. If he'd go into a game with the mindset of putting at least four shots on goal a game, I think he tops 30 goals easily.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I dont see this team struggling on the PP as much this next season. I just have a gut feeling about it. call me crazy if u like

Old
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Who are your wings with that set up?
Wings? You use wings on a power play? Somebody better tell that to the Preds coaching staff, quick!

In all honesty, I'd guess Erat and Lombardi.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to ask. With the recent offer sheet to Hjalmarsson of 3.5 million. What would the Preds do if someone made an insane offer sheet to Hornqvist for that much?

Old
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to ask. With the recent offer sheet to Hjalmarsson of 3.5 million. What would the Preds do if someone made an insane offer sheet to Hornqvist for that much?
Match and get even. Poile has plenty of cap space and picks available. He'd wait till he found the right player and he'd either get him or make sure he bursted the other team's budget...

Old
07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I disagree with that. Erat, for example, will be paid $5,250,000 this season and $6 million next season.

It's definitely possible.
Wow! Didn't realize his salary was that high. Was this a Leopold contract? When he was signed, I presume he was expected to continually increase his output. His numbers absolutely do not justify his pay. But now we're stuck. Good luck unloading that salary on another team. Seems that Poile was burned by Erat and Leggy's contracts, projecting growth that has yet to materialize. But each contract is a gamble. We can only afford a few at most, while big market teams have more room for error. So while you say we could pay a sniper 5.2 million - that's true. But our margin for error limits our chances to land those guys.

Old
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Wow! Didn't realize his salary was that high. Was this a Leopold contract? When he was signed, I presume he was expected to continually increase his output. His numbers absolutely do not justify his pay. But now we're stuck. Good luck unloading that salary on another team. Seems that Poile was burned by Erat and Leggy's contracts, projecting growth that has yet to materialize. But each contract is a gamble. We can only afford a few at most, while big market teams have more room for error. So while you say we could pay a sniper 5.2 million - that's true. But our margin for error limits our chances to land those guys.
At the time of the Erat and Legwand contracts ... both were in line with market value for players with their average numbers. It's easy to say after the fact that player X isn't living up to what he was signed for, but it's a hell of a lot harder to project how performance and salary are going to balance years in the future.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
At the time of the Erat and Legwand contracts ... both were in line with market value for players with their average numbers. It's easy to say after the fact that player X isn't living up to what he was signed for, but it's a hell of a lot harder to project how performance and salary are going to balance years in the future.
That's what a GM's job is to evaluate talent and project them into the future. Poile for all the good he's done kinda missed on these two. Both are worth a million less than they are paid.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
That's what a GM's job is to evaluate talent and project them into the future. Poile for all the good he's done kinda missed on these two. Both are worth a million less than they are paid.
So a GM's job is to see into the future? Nice. I can do that!

To clarify, 101st DID say it's a "hell of a lot harder to project how performance and salary are going to balance in the future". A GM's job is to manage the team the way he thinks he has to in order to be competitive. A player's job is to perform. If you want to blame someone blame the player.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Quit looking at your own prostate.

The funny thing is that their salaries are still in line with their average numbers. Prior to the 08-09 season, the trendline for a graph for points per game and salary bisected Legwand's numbers.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I challenge you to find any GM with a better talent projection record.

Old
07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I agree with both of you. I wasn't attempting to complain about Erat or Legwand's contract, but showing that Nashville can indeed afford two or three players making around $6 million a year (counting Weber's and Suter's upcoming extensions that will be on the books at the same time as Erat's contract).

This notion that people have that Nashville can't afford an elite forward is incorrect. They already pay elite money to Erat and could do so to another forward by moving Dumont and Tootoo.

Let me further clarify something else about my stated desires over the past few weeks to move Dumont. It has nothing to with Dumont, the player. Nor does it have anything to do with his down year this past season. I believe that Dumont is still the best playmaker on the team and, if he remains, will bounce back this season. My wanting to trade Dumont is based solely on what I perceive as a critical need to bring in an elite goal scorer, Dumont's attractive skill set, and a contract size that would both allow Nashville to fit a contract for an elite goal scorer while still be palatable for a trade partner.

Old
07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So a GM's job is to see into the future? Nice. I can do that!

To clarify, 101st DID say it's a "hell of a lot harder to project how performance and salary are going to balance in the future". A GM's job is to manage the team the way he thinks he has to in order to be competitive. A player's job is to perform. If you want to blame someone blame the player.
If GM keeps drafting players and they continue to fail then he won't have a job long. So you can tell if a player has it or not and how he will project in the future...has anyone of your prediction come true. Of course it's a hard job. They get paid well for their job for normal people excluding professional athletes salaries. You said blame the player but more players fail than suceed but a GM is supposed have more sucesses than failures. The harder job is to be a sucessful athlete.

Old
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

The talent hasn't projected into any playoffs series wins. I'm not disagreeing with you. If Poile is number one can you name me the top five?

Old
07-10-2010, 08:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Match and get even. Poile has plenty of cap space and picks available. He'd wait till he found the right player and he'd either get him or make sure he bursted the other team's budget...
Oh I agree but I look at what Hjalmarsson got and then I compare his stats to Franson's.

Hjalmarsson: 77 games, 2G 15A, 19:39 TOI
Franson: 61 games, 6G 15A, 14:11 TOI

Now, Hjalmarsson is a much better defender than Franson but we are comparing an offensive defenseman vs. a defensive defenseman. Franson was scoring at a clip similar to Suter last year. Comparing their TOI/total points and given the same times Franson would score 35 points and Suter 37.

But as I said, the great equalizer is the defense. I look at this and wonder what would happen if a GM was insane enough to offer Franson an offer sheet. With Blum in Milwaukee it would really depend on the compensation. Let's say someone is silly enough to offer a 1st and 3rd offer. I'd be on that like *Insert random starlet here* on an open bar.

Old
07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Ek says theres a possible trade with Wild. ????????

Old
07-10-2010, 09:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Ek says theres a possible trade with Wild. ????????
We're trying to get Andrew Brunette... again.

Closed Thread