HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
"The Hurricanes and Predators are talking a deal that could potentially "reshape each team for the next few years."" Eklund

Hardly the most reliable source but still interesting. I would love to think Eric Staal is on his way, but its not happening. Tuomo Ruutu might not be out of the question, though. Then again, since its Ek reporting this, I'm sure its nothing.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
"The Hurricanes and Predators are talking a deal that could potentially "reshape each team for the next few years."" Eklund

Hardly the most reliable source but still interesting. I would love to think Eric Staal is on his way, but its not happening. Tuomo Ruutu might not be out of the question, though. Then again, since its Ek reporting this, I'm sure its nothing.
Do yourself a favor.

Stop reading Eklund. It will save you a lot of heartbreak and frustration.

Old
06-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Do yourself a favor.

Stop reading Eklund. It will save you a lot of heartbreak and frustration.
Actually, I think Ek is on to something on this one.

JR said earlier this week we wanted to get another 1st round pick.

Poile said he wanted 2nd round picks.

JR + Poile= preds trade down for two 2nd rounders.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:

Staal was just named captain last year, Ruutu wouldn't reshape this team. It'd take a LOT for something to reshape both teams.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
joshin29

I would love to see us get a guy like Devon Setiguchi. I think he has one year left before he becomes a rfa and he's only due to make about 1.5m. He would really fit in with the preds and I don't think the sharks will be able to resign him after their two recent signings. Just from watching him play I think he'll be a great player.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

wow poile with 2 2nd round picks, that's scary, you know with his second round drafting history...

Old
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
wow poile with 2 2nd round picks, that's scary, you know with his second round drafting history...
Yeah, I think trading out of the first round would be a huge mistake for us, especially given there's 4 or 5 solid scoring forwards that could\should be available at 18.

Old
06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Jarnberg

I think we'll move down a few picks to get another pick in this draft, but not out of the first round.

Old
06-25-2010, 01:20 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think we'll move down a few picks to get another pick in this draft, but not out of the first round.
I think you're right. If the forwards we want are gone and we can pick up a pick to move down, I think we could do that. If we do move down I bet we pick a defenseman.

Old
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I actually like this mock draft's trade for us and the pick...although I don't necessarily want to pass on Etem to do it...

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/nickgiglia/18434/

Old
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
Quote:

I love when people dismiss Eklund when all he's doing is reporting all the stuff the public never hears. In essence, the fact that people dismiss everything he says is proof that all these fantasy trades we want to make are next to impossible.

Anyway, we have to assume Staal isn't involved at all, so who else to they have that is worth much in our system? However we have to assume some big name from our club is involved if it would really "reshape the team for the next few years" or whatever the words were.

Old
06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I love when people dismiss Eklund when all he's doing is reporting all the stuff the public never hears. In essence, the fact that people dismiss everything he says is proof that all these fantasy trades we want to make are next to impossible.

Anyway, we have to assume Staal isn't involved at all, so who else to they have that is worth much in our system? However we have to assume some big name from our club is involved if it would really "reshape the team for the next few years" or whatever the words were.
I don't think Eklund ever completely makes things up, I just have serious doubts about his sources nowadays. But I believe him that we are talking with Carolina. Poile likes to trade with them.

I proposed this trade last year... Blum for Boychuk

Old
06-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I don't think Eklund ever completely makes things up, I just have serious doubts about his sources nowadays. But I believe him that we are talking with Carolina. Poile likes to trade with them.

I proposed this trade last year... Blum for Boychuk
Luongo for Lecavalier

Old
06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
predfan24

I had completely given up on Eklund but I have to admit his recent success makes me pay a little bit more attention to his rumors. He obviously still has some good sources.

Draft about a hour away! I hope we do something stupendous. Just make a change to create some excitement! Yeah I know it will never happen but a guy can wish can't he?

Old
06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Those couple of years when Ek got a few rumors right for the Preds it was going around the boards that he had a link to Greg Johnson and that was where his source in nashville was. As soon as Johnson was gone Ek's nashville rumors went into the toilet. So it's probably true that he had an in with Johnson.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
roseyc

That's the thing about Eck is that he can make some wild trades and then he will break a story not of the Preds and then you start to once again go to site and start to believe. He actually broke the Byfullien trade. Mckenzie gave him credit

Old
06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
That's the thing about Eck is that he can make some wild trades and then he will break a story not of the Preds and then you start to once again go to site and start to believe. He actually broke the Byfullien trade. Mckenzie gave him credit

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old
06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Ek tweeted the trade at 1612 CDT on the day of. No rumors leading up to it, no foresight ... just the first to get that piece of info out after it happened.

On the flip side he was almost an hour late on the Hamhuis trade.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:13 PM
dulzhok

Marc Savard reportedly lifted his NTC... strange after just signing a 7 year deal. Supposedly family related.

In any event, he would probably be the best bang-for-the-buck 4m vet we could get. The 7 year front loaded contract is rough, but hard to see any better options in that price range.

He's a great PP guy. Ideally, we would have a sniper with him, but we don't really have one. Erat-Savard-Hornqvist could be nice... especially if Erat finally puts it together and scores 30+ like we know he can.

Hard to know what Boston would want in return. Ideally, Ryan Ellis.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Marc Savard reportedly lifted his NTC... strange after just signing a 7 year deal. Supposedly family related.

In any event, he would probably be the best bang-for-the-buck 4m vet we could get. The 7 year front loaded contract is rough, but hard to see any better options in that price range.

He's a great PP guy. Ideally, we would have a sniper with him, but we don't really have one. Erat-Savard-Hornqvist could be nice... especially if Erat finally puts it together and scores 30+ like we know he can.

Hard to know what Boston would want in return. Ideally, Ryan Ellis.
Capgeek tweeted that there are five teams Savard can be traded to. Haven't seen anything saying he's available to every team as of yet.

Ideally they'd take the rights to Grebs, Boyd, or Dan Ellis.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Dulz - I would love to have Savard, and his cap hit is beautiful. Unfortunately, the contract is SUPER front-loaded. To the tune of like 7, 6.5, 6.5 or so over the first three years (don't quote me on the numbers....). I do not think we can afford that unfortunately, but I would love to be proven wrong.

06-26-2010, 01:45 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Dulz - I would love to have Savard, and his cap hit is beautiful. Unfortunately, the contract is SUPER front-loaded. To the tune of like 7, 6.5, 6.5 or so over the first three years (don't quote me on the numbers....). I do not think we can afford that unfortunately, but I would love to be proven wrong.
You know we are fortunate with our contracts. Arnott we signed from Dallas as a FA but he come off a down year and there was suspect that Arnott was through. But luckily he wasn't and had a good stretch with us until the end. Dumont for the price we got him at was a steal at the time. Sully's contract would have been a lot more but he was injured which lowered his demand. Legwand and Erat for the most part have been overpaid. They projected them to perform at a higher level but they haven't especially Legwand. At some point you can't continue to hope for miracles such as Hornqvist to bail you out. Everyone now with the cap wants that up and coming player who's team such as example Fla, who wants to downsize for whatever reason, whose contract fits their cap. There isn't that many if just one or two. Either we are going to have to find ways or means to elevate our payroll or we'll be doing this every year and the years we don't make the playoffs we'll be the ones downsizing

Old
06-26-2010, 02:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You know we are fortunate with our contracts. Arnott we signed from Dallas as a FA but he come off a down year and there was suspect that Arnott was through. But luckily he wasn't and had a good stretch with us until the end. Dumont for the price we got him at was a steal at the time. Sully's contract would have been a lot more but he was injured which lowered his demand. Legwand and Erat for the most part have been overpaid. They projected them to perform at a higher level but they haven't especially Legwand. At some point you can't continue to hope for miracles such as Hornqvist to bail you out. Everyone now with the cap wants that up and coming player who's team such as example Fla, who wants to downsize for whatever reason, whose contract fits their cap. There isn't that many if just one or two. Either we are going to have to find ways or means to elevate our payroll or we'll be doing this every year and the years we don't make the playoffs we'll be the ones downsizing

That is the number required to elevate the payroll. If it isn't the average paid attendance, don't expect us to even think about passing the midpoint of the cap. Profitability, or worst case keeping losses minimized, is a factor. With the lease requiring that ticket prices remain below the league average we have to spend responsibly.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post

That is the number required to elevate the payroll. If it isn't the average paid attendance, don't expect us to even think about passing the midpoint of the cap. Profitability, or worst case keeping losses minimized, is a factor. With the lease requiring that ticket prices remain below the league average we have to spend responsibly.
Here's the catch 22: Can we get our attendance to full capacity without making playoff noise? And can we make playoff noise without spending above the midpoint? And even if we do spend above the midpoint, can Poile negate his 25 year history of playoff non-success?

Assuming the midpoint is going up 2-3 million, we should be able to fit in a guy like Savard with Arnott gone.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

We cannot afford Savard. The numbers just don't work. Not to mention he only has a couple good years left and he is signed until he is nearly 40 years old.

Closed Thread