HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds' "Huge" Move

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
We cannot afford Savard. The numbers just don't work. Not to mention he only has a couple good years left and he is signed until he is nearly 40 years old.
We can afford him if Dumont is traded. His front end loaded contract also would work into helping when Weber and Suter get raises. Not saying he is the best option but it could work.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:28 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Question about salaries. Do we have to worry more about the cap hit or the actual payout per year? This is in regard to anyone we have on the roster or might acquire. And also, what is revenue sharing based upon, the cap or actual salary? Thanks.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Question about salaries. Do we have to worry more about the cap hit or the actual payout per year? This is in regard to anyone we have on the roster or might acquire. And also, what is revenue sharing based upon, the cap or actual salary? Thanks.
Honestly, for the most part with us it's actual salary, but there are considerations with the salary cap too...so it's a combination of things depending on what you're looking for. Revenue sharing is based off the cap.

Old
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
We can afford him if Dumont is traded. His front end loaded contract also would work into helping when Weber and Suter get raises. Not saying he is the best option but it could work.
No, we can't. It would work for this year only, but every year after that would be a headache and there would be no room for any other signings.

11/12 roster:
Savard - 7
Erat - 6
Legwand - 4.5
Wilson - .9 + bonuses
Tootoo - 1.4
Suter - 3.5
Cube - 1.5
Klein - 1.4
Rinne - 4

Weber - 7*
Horny - 3*

10 players - $40.3M
That leaves ~$7M to sign 12 other guys.

And then in 12/13, Savard is still making 6.5, but we have to also give raises to Wilson, Suter, and Rinne.

Besides, even if we can get the numbers to work, Savard is getting too old and is signed for too long.

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 06-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old
06-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
My dad and I have a theory that the player we will be landing is Hartnell. The Flyers are in cap trouble and his cap hit decreases over the next three years. 4.2 mil, 3.7, and 3.2 over the next three seasons respectively. Obviously we don't have to explain why he would be a good fit here and I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back. Also, we have a serious history as trading partners with Philly. It's a long shot but it fits in many ways and fills the void of a type of player we need.

Also, as evidenced by Nathan Horton being traded to Boston, the Panthers are openly discussing trading almost anyone. My sources in Florida have told me that the new GM is trying to do as much house cleaning as possible, and that Stephen Weiss is absolutely on the market (3.2, 4, and 4.1 over the next 3 years, 27 years old). David Booth (25 years old, 3.75 next year and 4.5 the 3 after that) is a possibility but from everything I know he is probably the closest to untouchable that they have. For what it's worth, Vokoun very likely won't be traded before the deadline.

Old
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
braindead

Quote:
No, we can't. It would work for this year only, but every year after that would be a headache and there would be no room for any other signings.

11/12 roster:
Savard - 7
Erat - 6
Legwand - 4.5
Wilson - .9 + bonuses
Tootoo - 1.4
Suter - 3.5
Cube - 1.5
Klein - 1.4
Rinne - 4

Weber - 7*
Horny - 3*

10 players - $40.3M
That leaves ~$7M to sign 12 other guys.

And then in 12/13, Savard is still making 6.5, but we have to also give raises to Wilson, Suter, and Rinne.

Besides, even if we can get the numbers to work, Savard is getting too old and is signed for too long.
Forgot about Erat being at 6 rather than the cap hit. Horny won't be at 3 and I'd guess Weber is more like 6.5 but maybe I'm wrong. I don't believe Rinne will ever get a raise here- I'd say a trade is as likely. I agree it's tight but you can make it work.Let me put it this way: if Kovy showed up and wanted to be paid on Savards schedule, you could make it work. Still not saying Savard is the right player.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
My dad and I have a theory that the player we will be landing is Hartnell. The Flyers are in cap trouble and his cap hit decreases over the next three years. 4.2 mil, 3.7, and 3.2 over the next three seasons respectively. Obviously we don't have to explain why he would be a good fit here and I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back. Also, we have a serious history as trading partners with Philly. It's a long shot but it fits in many ways and fills the void of a type of player we need.
I can give you 3 reasons why it won't be Hartnell.
1. NMC His agent has made that clear anytime his name has been brought up in a trade. < his agent
2. Trotz's doghouse. He'd find it again Just because of who runs it.
3. They wouldn't pay him before, I can't see any way they would want to now.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:02 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Ya. Real huge move Poile. Trade away our freaking captain and let Grebs go who we spent a a freaking 2nd on! You really helped our team a lot this go around you cheap SOB! Preds needs to Spend some money for once. ( done ranting)

Old
06-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Ya. Real huge move Poile. Trade away our freaking captain and let Grebs go who we spent a a freaking 2nd on! You really helped our team a lot this go around you cheap SOB! Preds needs to Spend some money for once. ( done ranting)
Next time, I'd ignore anything Eklund says

Old
06-27-2010, 02:27 AM
dulzhok

Quote:

11/12 roster:
Savard - 7
Erat - 6
Legwand - 4.5
Wilson - .9 + bonuses
Tootoo - 1.4
Suter - 3.5
Cube - 1.5
Klein - 1.4
Rinne - 4

Weber - 7*
Horny - 3*
Those are actual salarys, not cap hit. Savard- 4. Erat- 4.5. Rinne- 3.4. Bouillion- 1.35. Tootoo 1.25. Makes the total closer to 34m. That's 11 players signed at 34m, and all the key guys guys locked up to higher-end guesses (Weber, Horny). That still leaves 16m to get under the midpoint, for mostly 3rd-4th liners, and bottom pairing dmen. Of couse, this is assuming the cap doens't rise further, and we can't move a contract like Legwand.

If we stay under the midpoint, we get approx a 10m check. This is should be give us plenty opportunity to spend an extra mil or 2, while staying under the midpoint.

I too am torn on Savard. Yes he's getting old. But the way his contract is worked, he's likely going to retire 4 or 5 years in. With his time in Boston, he's played more like a 5 or 6 million dollar player. It's not ideal, but I don't see any other better options.

Not that I think Poile is going to pull the trigger on anything exciting...

Old
06-27-2010, 05:20 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Take a few deep breaths. I promise it will be okay. It's not even July 1st yet. Who knows what's up DP's sleeve. I'm not expecting anything ridiculous, but something will surface from the Arnott trade and letting Grebs go.

We had Arnott locked for at least one year. He wanted an extention, Poile wanted none of it. That alone doesn't warrant the trade, I don't care if they were going in diffrent directions and that was the "profesional thing to do". Poile and Trotz were not happy with his play and leadership. They made that very clear at seasons end. They have had a long time to plan and make this happen.

Now was it to free up money? Maybe to a degree, but Poile knows there is a void now and is not going to put all of the weight on Wilson. That money will be used. The savings from not re-signing Grebs will be used. In one way or another it will all work out.

And Poile isn't the only one deciding how much we spend each year. There's the ownership and fans included in that equation. Are you a season ticket holder? If not, are you really in a position to call him a cheap SOB?

Old
06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
And Poile isn't the only one deciding how much we spend each year. There's the ownership and fans included in that equation. Are you a season ticket holder? If not, are you really in a position to call him a cheap SOB?
As a die-hard fan I can call him whatever I want. Sorry I'm tired of mediocrity and a 1st round exit every year.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
goalscorer

What do you guys think of Lombardi, Stepniak and Ponikarovski? Havn't seen enough of them to have a strong opinion.

All three seem to consistantly hit around the 20 goal mark, which realistically wouldn't be too far off Arnott's project goal total for next year. Not sure what kind of money they will command, but does anyone like the idea of going after two of the three? Lombardi would give us more experience at center and one of the other two could give us an upgrade at wing as well.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
As a die-hard fan I can call him whatever I want. Sorry I'm tired of mediocrity and a 1st round exit every year.
Love it.

I don't like the mediocrity either. I'm not saying this is you, but alot of "die-hard" preds fans I know complain that we don't spend money, but they don't shell out cash for season tix. You have to spend money to make money, is the mentality alot of preds fans have, but I don't think our franchise will ever work that way. When we have the revenue, we'll aquire our "star".

And you didn't answer my question.

Old
06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
jesus. at least you aren't a atl or columbus fan. you'd off yourself

Old
06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Love it.

I don't like the mediocrity either. I'm not saying this is you, but alot of "die-hard" preds fans I know complain that we don't spend money, but they don't shell out cash for season tix. You have to spend money to make money, is the mentality alot of preds fans have, but I don't think our franchise will ever work that way. When we have the revenue, we'll aquire our "star".

And you didn't answer my question.
I agree with this. I don't expect us to be the Caps or Pens or anything. I'm aware were lucky to have a team. I just want a perfect one with lots of superstars! Haha!
And no, I'm not a season ticket holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
jesus. at least you aren't a atl or columbus fan. you'd off yourself
Haha. True. I'll calm down in a little.

Old
06-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The Preds financial problems are NOT because of fans who don't buy season tickets. Fans are fans, no matter if they buy season tickets, smaller packs, single games or just watch on TV. It's the local corporations that make or break the franchise.

Let the fans say whatever they want, the more fans we have (spending money or not) means the more attractive the team is to business spenders.

Old
06-27-2010, 09:36 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The Preds financial problems are NOT because of fans who don't buy season tickets. Fans are fans, no matter if they buy season tickets, smaller packs, single games or just watch on TV. It's the local corporations that make or break the franchise.

Let the fans say whatever they want, the more fans we have (spending money or not) means the more attractive the team is to business spenders.
This.

I was unemployed for nearly a year after the economy hit the brakes (steel didn't do so well). I couldn't afford single games, much less season tickets. Sometimes people simply don't have the time and/or money to put towards a 41 game commitment. They are still fans, and they are entitled to their opinion. With that said, Poile isn't the one you need to be calling a cheap SOB if you want to rant about that. Poile spends what he has to spend on what he deems the very best available players. He does a hell of a job as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Jarnberg

Fans not shelling out money for season tickets only because of the team's budget would likely find another excuse if the team did spend money. But that is my opinion. Look at all the excuses for our attendance over the past few years on this board alone. In the end it always comes down to we are a crap hockey market. Our fans that we do have are some of the best in the entire league (hence our atmosphere), but we just don't have enough.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Fans not shelling out money for season tickets only because of the team's budget would likely find another excuse if the team did spend money. But that is my opinion. Look at all the excuses for our attendance over the past few years on this board alone. In the end it always comes down to we are a crap hockey market. Our fans that we do have are some of the best in the entire league (hence our atmosphere), but we just don't have enough.
I think we have plenty of fans. We just don't have the corporate support yet. If the owners can repair the relationships that Leipold damaged in his tenure here, I think we've got a good shot at making it. If I'm not mistaken we have the biggest season ticket holder fan base in the NHL. Most teams are 60-70% corporate and the rest individual fan sales whereas we are the opposite which is rare for sure.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The cap hit MUST remain below the mid-point for the team to fully qualify for all phases of revenue sharing. Working within that constraint, Poile needs to balance actual salaries so that the team remains at break even financially if the team misses the post season.

Our individual STH base is in pretty good shape ... hell, it's kept the team alive this long. The weakness lies in the corporate sales. Boost the corporate sales while maintaining the individual sales and the team can stop operating on such razor thin finances.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Like 101st said We have to stay below the mid point to basically " stay alive" financially. As a season ticket holder from day 1 I watched alot of mediocre hockey for the first few seasons, never really bad hockey, just mediocre, and still had a blast going to every game to watch NHL hockey. When the newness wore off I had a couple of seasons of "when can we aquire a superstar". The last ditch effort by Liepold to get the building filled ( Kariya Forsberg Arnott) failed even with the spending. After the sale the philosphy changed to survival mode. I can except that.
We will not be free spenders, we will grow from within, develop our superstars and hopefully hold on to them. I may be in the Minority, but I love watching NHL hockey in my town 41+ nights a year, and if our owners have to be frugal to keep this team here. I'm OK with that. I'll watch OUR team in OUR building and be happy that we have NHL hockey in Nashville.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think we have plenty of fans. We just don't have the corporate support yet. If the owners can repair the relationships that Leipold damaged in his tenure here, I think we've got a good shot at making it. If I'm not mistaken we have the biggest season ticket holder fan base in the NHL. Most teams are 60-70% corporate and the rest individual fan sales whereas we are the opposite which is rare for sure.
The problem is I know I've talked to many people who work for companies which buy tickets and they have trouble giving them way to workers. Why would a company buy tickets for their workers if they aren't going to be used?

Old
06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The problem is I know I've talked to many people who work for companies which buy tickets and they have trouble giving them way to workers. Why would a company buy tickets for their workers if they aren't going to be used?
Here's part of the problem with that. A lot of times companies tell people they have the tix at the last minute and people with families just can't up and change their plans or find baby sitters if need be at the last minute. Some companies do raffles a few days ahead of time and people can figure it out but if someone came to me during the day and said, hey, I've got tix for tonight's game, I may or may not be able to go. I have a season ticket so I don't think about it but for someone who is a casual observer, they don't know the schedule or what's going on most of the time so it's hard for them to plan.

I see your point though. I wonder how much out of town business these companies do and if they try and woo their clients at night with events such as hockey or the ryman, etc. I think a lot of companies in big markets do that with their clients.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
oreilly22

Quote:
What do you guys think of Lombardi, Stepniak and Ponikarovski? Havn't seen enough of them to have a strong opinion.

All three seem to consistantly hit around the 20 goal mark, which realistically wouldn't be too far off Arnott's project goal total for next year. Not sure what kind of money they will command, but does anyone like the idea of going after two of the three? Lombardi would give us more experience at center and one of the other two could give us an upgrade at wing as well.
I've always thought Poni would make a good Predator. Poile probably wouldn't consider this a lateral move because we could put Wilson at his natural center position, where he could have the best chance to succeed. People say Poni had a bad playoffs last year, but it's not like he flamed out as bad as Arnott. Arny was actually one of my favorite Predators, but he just wasn't trying in the Blackhawks series until the last game. Wouldn't Lombardi be kind of redundant with us already having Legwand? Not that two Legwands would be a bad thing in my view.

Closed Thread