HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Your thoughts on recent moves

View Poll Results: Do you like the following deals/moves/etc.?
Plekanec - Yes 127 75.15%
Plekanec - No 43 25.44%
Halak - Yes 115 68.05%
Halak - No 52 30.77%
Darche - Yes 102 60.36%
Darche - No 62 36.69%
Pierre Gautheir as GM - Yes 91 53.85%
Pierre Gautheir as GM - No 63 37.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
Pleks - are you f k n kidding me .... This piece of crap played like crap in the playoffs ....wtf is this ? what is he the next Yzerman all of a sudden.
a huge effen mistake and trust me when this f ..k gets 50-60 points we will want him run out town... the dude is not a warrior in the playoffs ... A JOKE

Darche- who gives a sh..t a marginal 4th line talent ...no probs 1 year

Halak - great trade ... a legit center for a player I am not sold on ....and played over his head

Gauthier- nice moves until you SIGNED THAT F...K IN PLEKS
F....K I AM PISSED
now we have to watch a midget play like sh..it come playoff time if we get there ...havent we effened learned that we are too small ...he isn`t Briere loaded with quality around him

now we have no effen money to do sh....t and the Boston Bruins get Horton and maybe Seguin ....ffffffuuuuu.....nnnnnn great
so youre more sold on a player who has played a total of 7 NHL games (none for the habs) over a player how has been in the organization for 8 years and has put up big number in 2 of the past 3 years

Oh and btw pleks is 1 inch shorter than Eller, so i guess that 1 inch is the difference between a midget and a "legit center"

now should i call the wambulance or can u take care of yourself

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:20 PM
phil

No to all...

the "Shut up fans, we know better" thread title sums up my thoughts... that's what I feel like they're doing...

And Plecks' contract is just plain stupid... that guy will never take us to the cup... we saw what he can do against physical teams like Philly... he is not a dominant player... not worth dominant player money

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:25 PM
CanadienErrant*

The Halak's trade was way too much premature.

The Sharks are gonna leave Nabokov walk away as a UFA. Who's gonna be in goal for them next year ?

A Halak for Clowe trade
or
A Halak for Pavelski trade

could had been more beneficial.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
alexstream

the halak move is crazy. like crazy good.
just look at the following :

Vancouver Canucks traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006.

that's the "best" goalie trade in recent history, aside from Raycroft for Rask and the Toskala trade
San Jose Sharks traded Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell from the Toronto Maple Leafs for a conditional 1st round selection in 2007, a 2nd round selection in 2007 and a 4th round selection in 2009.

others were traded for 2nd round picks.

and if you look at this year's market, it's not gonna get any better :
Chris Mason and Nabokov are not being retained by their teams. Thomas and Huet are backups. Leighton was picked on waivers to end up (losing) in the SCF.

so getting Eller is a TERRIFIC return.

signing pleks is just normal.
actually, I'd go as far as to say that PG chose to sign Plek over Halak (and not chose to trade Halak over Price)

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
ppil

Plekanec - Had to be done, the money is in the ballpark (comparables : Bergeron, Rolston), just sad that we'll be stuck with 2 small centers for a while... But overall I'm happy

Halak - I wanted one of them to be trade before they loose value. Would never be traded in the east, and except for an exeptional player (which would have never happened), it was obvious that we wouldn't take back salary. So overall, we got 2 interesting prospect that can possibly fill big needs.

Darche - Nothing against the guy, nothing against the number, but we got too many prospect (and some that are getting older) to burn a spot and cap space on him.

Gauthier - Did good up to date imo, but we changed brown for light brown... I liked Gainey and what he did, but there was a big turn around in the line-up last year, why didn't we do the same for the gm?

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Montréal has to overpay to get players, but we just overpaid for a small centre. We already have an overpaid small centre in Gomez. Now, we have 2 overpaid small centres flanked by 2 skilled, but small wingers, an enigma in Andrei Kostitsyn and the jury is still out on Pouliot.

It's been proven time and time again, you need a balance of speed and size, however Montréal refuses to address the size issue.

Just wait, we'll beat Philadelphia 6-0 in a regular season game and we'll see stupid topic likes "Size doesn't matter". Not in the regular season, but in the playoffs it does.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Plekanec: Like I said before, it had to happen. Money wise is fine. But we had no choice to do it. Based on the fact that we would have been screwed without him, good move.

Darche: Well, it's not that I dislike the move.....it just that it will NEVER understand why guys like him needs to be signed RIGHT AWAY. I mean, it's like when Gainey first signings in the summer were Garth Murray and Aaron Downey. I mean....it's not like Darche would have been in demand. And it's not like there wouldn't be somebody maybe more interesting than him around the same amount of money. Darche seems to be a great guy. He's OK as a 13th forward 'cause I wouldn't want to waste a rookie in the stands. But we could have waited to see what's out there and Darche would still be waiting our call unless.......Gauthier thinks the world of him and he was afraid somebody else would take him....like the Tampa Bay Lightining and a guy who already claimed how much he loved Darche in Guy Boucher.....Yet, would that be that awful to not have him? In the end, it's not the end of the world. But frankly, from Gainey to Gauthier, same story.

Halak: You know my take on that one. It's not about Halak real potential, not about the acquisitions (Love Eller, wanted Schultz in his draft year), it's about the incredible pressure put on Price and the improbability that he'll be able to show his worth in Montreal. For that, we had to find a way to make a smoother transition. The only question is....and what if Price doesn't work out? No more Halak, a Price that will have the fans on his back, probably asking for a trade, a Price that will no longer have the value he once had, not only because in that scenario, would struggle but because the other teams would be waiting for Gauthier to show up knowing full well that he would have to move him etc....Yeah, everything could work great. But it's one of the biggest guess ever.....we'll see if it paid off. But based on that, I'll say that we had to find a way to make room for Halak. Moneywise, the additions of Lapierre, Pyatt, White, Pouliot, Moore would still permitted us to include Halak in. And to me, while it's money you couldn't spend on other players, I'd say it's the price to pay....at least for now.

Gauthier: Well he's not bad......he's a Gainey type but we knew that already. Personnally, I would have loved to see us heading in a different direction. Trying to give our team more character. Believing a little less in foot speed, a little more in grit and character. If we happen to make room for Ryan White next year, it might be a sign for better things to come. I'm just not thrilled about Gauthier. But he's not terrible.

Yet, there are other things to come. Can't wait to see the direction he'll give to Hamilton. Replacing Boucher can't be easy. We'll see the decision he'll take there and it's a pretty important one. We'll see another decision he'll take soon.....and while it might sound stupid, the back-up goalie to Price will be an important decision. Either he's there to relieve Price from some of the pressure. Either he'll have to fit perfectly to be Price's confidence when needed. Thing is, there are some fine candidates out there and some who are openly ready to do that job. We'll see who he goes for. We'll also see the direction he'll give to Timmins as far as the draft is concerned. We'll see the moves he'll be able to either by adding picks, or by adding players. So, still tons of things to do.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
I dislike everything PM has done thus far. We are once again moving backwards, now due to the misguided belief this team is superior to what it actually is. The preverbal double edged sword for a successful playoff run that ultimately was cut premature for our fanbase. Plekanec is now overpaid, with a horribly long contract and could just as easily bottom out. That being said, we could have done worse.

I am complete unsold on the Halak trade as I firmly believe Price will never amount to his potential in Montreal and now he is devoid of choice. Halak was the man to prove he could handle the pressure, instead we are relying on a pray Price is capable. With know of Nabakov not being resigned, we could perhaps have traded with San Jose. Darche I dislike although I am primarily indifferent to. Initially when he was called up, I believed he was worth a raise. My judgment has since altered and his cap tying may well be a hindrance.

PM is Gainey in every way imaginable as far as I have witnessed. Always doing the safe trade, never realizing what is our need to move one step further and keeping players long past their expiration date. We will be icing the precise same team as last season, except it has to be Price to champion our ride otherwise we bottom out faster than the titanic. I am awaiting that trade/signing that improves our size or defense, both areas we are in desperate need to remedy. I cannot imagine it will come to pass within the distant future.

Nonetheless, here is hoping Price lives up to his hype. I will be shooting for you kid!

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:54 PM
jamz

voted for every option

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
so youre more sold on a player who has played a total of 7 NHL games (none for the habs) over a player how has been in the organization for 8 years and has put up big number in 2 of the past 3 years

Oh and btw pleks is 1 inch shorter than Eller, so i guess that 1 inch is the difference between a midget and a "legit center"

once you wake up from your dream .....can you please explain this to me

where the hell are we going spending nearly 24 effen million on

pleks...Cammy...Gomez....and Gionta

nearly 1/2 our f...n cap on what these 4 guys ??????

The Pens have the same on Sid....Malkin....Staal....and Letang

whose core do you want to start with smart one ???????

the above are under 24 with a cup ......are you serious ....you want WTF is Pleks doing in the playoffs year next year ....you want to go to war with this **** again
come April

I AM LOST FOR WORDS .....here we are in cap f..n hell with no future .....

we have 3 d men on their last legs ....another one is wounded and costing us 6 mil

and SIGN A PLAYOFF LOSER TO A RETARDED CONTRACT

can you expalin what this signing does for us when all of them have NO TRADE CLAUSES .

We arent the bloody Hawks for Pete`s sake coming off a title run

lead by Kane...Keith...and Towes all stars .....deal with the cap later

we will life and death to make the playoffs again with no hope I MEAN NOTHING

but PK ...PRICE...and Eller to hope get better ..

that piece of crap Pleks will get his 60 points next year ....piss us all off and have to deal with this **** for 5 more years

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Habs13

I really, really dislike the Plekanec trade and here's why ; Yeah, he's small and now we have two small non-physical, non-net going centers in our top six. But more over, the guy is signed for six years at $5M a year... so what happens if we get another 39 point effort like he gave us two seasons back? On top of it, we gave him a NTC?? So, basically, he can do what he wants and there's no a THING the Habs can do about it. Pierre Gauthier gave Plekanec a Leafs style contract. Lets not forget, he'll be 33 years old when this deal is up... and still paid $5M a season. Arrrrgggh damn this is such a bad idea.

Has anybody stopped to consider what this says to Eller? The kid can't breach the top six unless Plekanec or Gomez gets hurt, for the next FIVE YEARS! Third line center at best!?! What about L. Leblanc? Where is he going to fit in now? 4th line center??

At first I hated the Halak move and I still do... but I have high hopes for Eller and Schultz and there's still a good chance we end up winning this trade in the end. So this one is decent I suppose.

Darche. Why? Reward? Like we rewarded Halak? We have a whole slew of candidates that could fill his role at the same price or less. He's useless, slow and softer than butter. What about Ryan White? How about giving one last chance to Greg Stewart? Max Pacioretty!?! How about some GRIT on the 3rd and 4th lines?? If you don't want grit and toughness... then there's Ben Maxwell, David Desharnais or Brock Trotter.

Gauthier.. not impressed so far. It's still early though.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I really, really dislike the Plekanec trade and here's why ; Yeah, he's small and now we have two small non-physical, non-net going centers in our top six. But more over, the guy is signed for six years at $5M a year... so what happens if we get another 39 point effort like he gave us two seasons back? On top of it, we gave him a NTC?? So, basically, he can do what he wants and there's no a THING the Habs can do about it. Pierre Gauthier gave Plekanec a Leafs style contract. Lets not forget, he'll be 33 years old when this deal is up... and still paid $5M a season. Arrrrgggh damn this is such a bad idea.

Has anybody stopped to consider what this says to Eller? The kid can't breach the top six unless Plekanec or Gomez gets hurt, for the next FIVE YEARS! Third line center at best!?! What about L. Leblanc? Where is he going to fit in now? 4th line center??

At first I hated the Halak move and I still do... but I have high hopes for Eller and Schultz and there's still a good chance we end up winning this trade in the end. So this one is decent I suppose.

Darche. Why? Reward? Like we rewarded Halak? We have a whole slew of candidates that could fill his role at the same price or less. He's useless, slow and softer than butter. What about Ryan White? How about giving one last chance to Greg Stewart? Max Pacioretty!?! How about some GRIT on the 3rd and 4th lines?? If you don't want grit and toughness... then there's Ben Maxwell, David Desharnais or Brock Trotter.

Gauthier.. not impressed so far. It's still early though.
You make a solid observation in regards to Eller and his position on the roster, which had eluded me. If Lady Fortune shined on our trade, meaning Eller's hype is justified, we are paying a king's ransom for centremen who will likely never lead us anywhere. I had stated this previous, what is mind baffling is how this organization again is not addressing the necessities and falling into the trap. Our defense is a Markov injury away from disaster and we do not have the physicality to contend with muscle teams.

As for Darche, had 700k to that and we could keep Moore, who is infinitely more useful a player. Why is he not deserving of what is essentially a gift to Darche? Moore was fantastic for us and he is certain to walk out the door because we bottle up our lines with filler? Not to mention our youth is locked on minor roles excluding an injury.

Unless Gomez, Hamrlik and/or Kostitsyn are the next move, this team is going nowhere any time soon.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:53 AM
The Right Price

Signing Plekanec for 5M was a good deal. We couldn't loose him to the UFA market, and risk not getting Marleau and end up with nothing. Good deal, although I also despise the NTC clause.

The Halak trade was excellent!! Eller is a serious talent that will become great, especially in the current environment that is the Canadiens lockerroom. Halak will do fine in STL and Price will do fine in MTL and develop here.

Mathieu Darche signing was really not necessary, there are better players avalaible at the same price range.

Gauthier is proving to be a good GM who thinks a few moves ahead. If we can get a strong winger (like Frolov) we could be good contenders for the Stanley already next season. I see Canadiens peaking in the season that will follow (2011-2012) with the current roster. Even after that there is still a good core left in Cammy, Eller, PK, Price so the 25th SC isn't a far fetched idea.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Against two AHL castoffs, yes !

Against a real NHL, Stanley Cup winner coach: NO !
So Bylsma winning a Cup doesnt count. Boudreau getting coach of the year not enough for you. Have you always been this negative or did you take courses.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
We now need 2 big wingers for the first 2 lines or we're stuck with 2 smurfs lines for the next few years and we won't be going anywhere.

Time to get 2 guys like Penner and Byfuglien.

Penner - Gomez - Gionta
Byfuglien - Plekanec - Camalleri

If we still have some smurfs with the gomez and plek line I'll be sick watching games...

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post

Plekanec is 5'10" and Eller is 6'1", not sure where 3 inches equals one?

Personally I could care less on the size of our centers, but we need more physical element on the wings, sucks that we gave away a 230lbs one instead of giving him an opportunity in a bigger role.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I have zero issue with Plek signed. I love plek. I'm on the fence though. Why? Because we still have gomez. I'd rather have plek long term and find a replacement for gomez and I think management feels the same. Everyone got 5 year deals(4 left) yet plek got 6 years, so he's staying 2 years more than gomez(assuming he isnt traded in the final 2 years, which I believe he might be).

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Kebekoi

Yes Yes Yes Yes

Stop whining habs "fans"

Still waiting to dump Hamrlik and the Bros

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Halak's trade was way too much premature.

The Sharks are gonna leave Nabokov walk away as a UFA. Who's gonna be in goal for them next year ?

A Halak for Clowe trade
or
A Halak for Pavelski trade

could had been more beneficial.
..you just dont get it do you

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
TankEller*

Plekanec - Yes. Plekanec is one of the best two-way forwards in the game, and I'm happy to have him long-term.
Halak - Yes. One of the goalies had to be dealt, and even if I would want him to be Price, I'm happy Gauthier stayed ice-cold and didn't wait for Halak's value to drop before dealing him, just to please some stupid fans.
Darche - I hate this move. Not the terms, not the money involved, but the fact that it's a one-way contract, which means the management sees him in the NHL this season. Even as a 13th forward, you just know Martin's going to put him on the top-6 when injuries happen.
Gauthier as GM - Didn't vote. I think he's doing a fine job so far and that he deserves a chance. That being said, I think it was stupid to name him as the long-term GM without taking a look at what was available this summer. Yzerman would have been a fine choice. Tallon might have been a great move, and he speaks decent French as well for those who are interested .

Last edited by TankEller*: 06-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.
TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Plekanec - Yes. Plekanec is one of the best two-way wingers in the game, and I'm happy to have him long-term.
Halak - Yes. One of the goalies had to be dealt, and even if I would want him to be Price, I'm happy Gauthier stayed ice-cold and didn't wait for Halak's value to drop before dealing him, just to please some stupid fans.
Darche - I hate this move. Not the terms, not the money involved, but the fact that it's a one-way contract, which means the management sees him in the NHL this season. Even as a 13th forward, you just know Martin's going to put him on the top-6 when injuries happen.
Gauthier as GM - Didn't vote. I think he's doing a fine job so far and that he deserves a chance. That being said, I think it was stupid to name him as the long-term GM without taking a look at what was available this summer. Yzerman would have been a fine choice. Tallon might have been a great move, and he speaks decent French as well for those who are interested .

Old
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I meant forwards... It's pretty damn obvious I know Pleks is a centerman.

Have you got a life?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I like the Pleks contract, I think he took a discount to stay here, However I HATE his friggn NTC.

I love the Jaro trade for Us I think we will come ontop of that one.

I dislike the Darche signing very much.

I like PG as GM so far.

You forgot to add...

...IN DANISH!!!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I meant forwards... It's pretty damn obvious I know Pleks is a centerman.

Have you got a life?
Yes I do. Do you have a sense of humour?

Old
06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

This thread is an EMO fest

Why dont y'all cry about the pleks signing and slit yo wrists

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote