HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Savard?

Old
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
I actually really like Savard a lot as a player, and the Kessel connection is a plus.

But how "friendly" is that capt hit going to be when he's 39 years old?

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
sirmaxalot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
As a Bruins fan and Leafs fan, I have to disagree here. The Bruins defense was average BEFORE the departure of Wideman. Now, there is a huge glaring hole on the Bruins blueline. Kaberle>>Wideman. If PC gets Kaberle, the Bruins will win the cup next season. If they do nothing to improve the blueline, they will be bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round again.

That said, I do not think Savard will be dealt. He is too important to the Bruins attack. I hope he comes back from his concussion as good as ever. The only way this deal might go down is if PC knows something about Savard that we fans don't.

Dreger is a very good source for insider information. He does not stir up **** for nothing.
Umm.... We had the least amount of goals in the NHL last year... And made it into 6th. Goal-tending and Defence were among the best. Wideman was not a big factor in the shut down at all. If anything we'll be better next year. Chara quarter-backs it well, and Boychuk looks hungry and ready to become a force. Last year he blew everyone away and that was him just getting started.

sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Belligerent View Post
I actually really like Savard a lot as a player, and the Kessel connection is a plus.

But how "friendly" is that capt hit going to be when he's 39 years old?
Very, since he'll only be making $525K in each of his last 2 years of the deal. If he hasn't retired yet, he can just be sent to the minors without any owner feeling much of a burden financially.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimThomasIsSoGangsta View Post
Very, since he'll only be making $525K in each of his last 2 years of the deal. If he hasn't retired yet, he can just be sent to the minors without any owner feeling much of a burden financially.
Ah, very nice.

How was he after coming back from his concussion?

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Doctor Perry Cox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Given contract circumstances, and this specific deal being within the division...

Savard + 1st round pick in 2010 + 3rd in 2011 + Weidman >>> Horton + Kaberle + Campbell.

IMO these combination of moves wouldn't be good for Boston.
If your point is that the Bruins massively overpaid for Horton, then I completely agree.

Doctor Perry Cox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
sirmaxalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Belligerent View Post
Ah, very nice.

How was he after coming back from his concussion?
Meh, they over-protected him with very little ice time against Philly. Probably a good idea since Krejci and Bergeron were stepping up. He got 3 PTs in 7 GP of limited Ice time. That Game winning goal against Philly was amazing though. Haha He's got so much heart it makes the team that much better. And when the guy takes a pay cut to stay on a team he loves and still performs... you gotta love it.

sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Perry Cox View Post
If your point is that the Bruins massively overpaid for Horton, then I completely agree.
what are you talking about ,you are speaking volumes about your hockey knowlege

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Perry Cox View Post
we overpaid or Horton?

giving up the 15th pick in the draft and a defensive liability like wideman for a young player who can score 30 goals and has the potential to hit 40 is not overpaying.

there was a trade made by your team and the Bruins that would count as overpaying, you will see just the beginning of the result of the overpayment this friday.

for the record this is all speculation, why would PC deal our best offensive player for one year of Kaberle. and why are leafs fans so obsessed with making more trades with the Bruins? they never really work out for you guys.

i am not against trading savard, but the right deal has to come around. i am not throwing him to a division rival for one year of a player. we will need more coming back.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Go Habs Go

This deal is almost bad enough for Boston that it negates the good Kessel trade.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:29 AM
mapes

I'd honestly consider Kabs and a 2012 first for Savard. Sure, we'd get bugged for giving them 3 straight first rounders (ya, ya one was 2nd overall..) but he's signed for SEVEN more years at a 4 mill cap hit. Then again, now that I look at his contract Boston cheated the system with his contract and by the looks of it, he'll retire in 4-5 years. I am all for the "rebuilding" effort and don't want to part ways with another first but adding Savard will only help Kadri and Bozak, while we know what Kessel can do with him.

But what would they do? Kadri and Bozak are their 1-2 centers and Savard would obviously become another one. Move Kadri to the wing?

Whatever, by the looks of it, it is pure speculation on Dregers part. "Boston and Toronto have yet to re-open talks involving Kaberle"

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Fabs

I can't see Burke trading Kaberle for Savard, would hope not at least. Need younger guys who are still going to be around and at their prime 3-4 years from now, not a guy whose going to be nearing the end of his career.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
OK... I'm not joking.

To Toronto
Savard

To Boston
Kaberle
Kadri
2012 first rounder or 2013 first rounder. (2013 if 2012 is a top 10 pick.)

I think Leafs fans will say the price is too high, but Savard is one of the best centers out there. Check out his track record since the lock-out. He was great with both the Preds and the Bruins. 4 million a year is a complete steal and he's locked up for a very long time.

We don't know what Kaberle will want after next season or if the Bruins will even have the cap space to hold onto him, so he's not worth anything near Savard with 1 year left on his contract.

Kadri has to be in there. The chance of Kadri turning out to be ass effective as Savard is what? 1/20? 1/30? Kadri is a highly touted prospect, but Savard is arguably one of the top 5 playmakers in the league. I don't see Kadri turning into a top 5 anything in the league.(unless he pulls a Sean Avery...and we know what top-5 that would get you on)

So we've got a first pairing defenseman with 1 year left on his contract and a good prospect. Still not enough for a damn good first line center. One could argue that that first rounder isn't enough, but many Leafs fans may argue that they need a first round pick some time.
You idiot, Kadri + 1st 2012 is arguably enough on their own for Savard.

Deal would look like this:

Kaberle
Kadri
2012 1st

Savard
leafs 2011 1st
prospect

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
remer

Maybe this:

to Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

to Toronto
Savard
Marchand

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Tyler Myers

seguin will take over as center so it makes sense

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
thepatient

kaberle + Kulemin ++ (midlevel prospect)

for

Savard and Leafs 1st 2011

thepatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
oceanchild

why in the world would Boston do this they hold the leafs first rounder next year and would be plain stupid to give them a first line center to play with Kessel and help them have a modicum of success. If im boston I offer prospects of nothing and hope for top 5 pick next year. Beiska could be had for much less and is close enough of a wideman equivelant to call it a day.

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Maybe this:

to Boston
Kaberle
Kadri

to Toronto
Savard
Marchand
TOR isn't adding Kadri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepatient View Post
kaberle + Kulemin ++ (midlevel prospect)

for

Savard and Leafs 1st 2011
BOS isn't adding a 1st to "dump" Savard for Kaberle.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM
thepatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
TOR isn't adding Kadri.

BOS isn't adding a 1st to "dump" Savard for Kaberle.
Boston isn't adding to dump its adding to get Kulemin. Savard for Kaberle straight up is a pretty fair deal. Kulemin + a prospect like Hayes/Damigo is fair for a 1st in a weak draft.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Boston isn't adding to dump its adding to get Kulemin. Savard for Kaberle straight up is a pretty fair deal. Kulemin + a prospect like Hayes/Damigo is fair for a 1st in a weak draft.
No it's not. It clearly favors the Leafs.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:09 AM
thepatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
No it's not. It clearly favors the Leafs.
how? both are the same age, both are stars (not superstars). Same cap. Neither are players who will carry a team. Kaberle only has one year, but Savard is coming off a concussion and is signed until 40.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:12 AM
mapes

Savard won't play until he's 40, though. Look at his contract..

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:12 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
how? both are the same age, both are stars (not superstars). Same cap. Neither are players who will carry a team. Kaberle only has one year, but Savard is coming off a concussion and is signed until 40.
He's on a front loaded cap friendly deal that is easily bought out in the last few years. Kaberle is a UFA at the end of the year and will want a raise.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:13 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Savard won't play until he's 40, though. Look at his contract..
Exactly. The numbers drop off heavily to make a buyout very easy and inexpensive...

Old
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
He's on a front loaded cap friendly deal that is easily bought out in the last few years. Kaberle is a UFA at the end of the year and will want a raise.
Its easily bought out if you are PHX or CLB but NOT if you are TOR, since his cap hit will be higher than the actual dollar buy out amount per year.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Roof Daddy

So when do these media sorts actually start doing research? You know, looking into the fact Savard has a full NTC for the 1st year. I'm sure he signed a 7 yr deal because he hated the team and community. Does anybody really think this rumour has any legs?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote