HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla is What the Sharks Need

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Baron Von Shark

vCash: 500
Iginla is What the Sharks Need

Hell, Iginla is what every team needs. A passionate leader who embodies everythign a hockey player should possess: skill, grit, heart, and any other cliche hockey term there is. IMO, he was the difference in this series. Patrick Marleau, I hope you learn something from the other #12.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:58 PM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

i love patty, but he just doesn't have the fire of a guy like iginla. but not every captain needs to lead in that way. we'll see if marleau is able to step up and really lead the team next season...if there is one. i think it'll be the guys like cheechoo that will be providing the passion.

here's to the future.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:42 AM
rekrul

Patty will become the player we all want when he finds the perfect line mate, perhaps its michalek who knows how well he will do after injury, perhaps a mature Marleau and a Great PF in Bernier+playmaking michalek makes a great line in 3 yrs.

lets just state that marleau is NOT a playmaking centerman, he doesn't create but sniping is world class, if others around him can create he can finish like no other. Calgary just knew how to limit that line defensewise, marleau needs to find better ways to use his assets of speed and sniping and perhaps some disire in that.

Marelau like Rathje will never have that outward drive to inspire teamates, perhaps that will allways limit his potential, if this team wasen't laking in playmaking ( Effing brown for Boyes sucks right now ) I would say put marleau in #2 Center spot, IF this team some how found a great #1C put marleau there and then you have the beginnings of a solid 1-2 punch. SHarks have delpth but not at th e high end at the C position.

Iginla comparisons are just way to differnet, face facts that Marleau's own abilitys have many shortcommings, he could be Joe Niuendyke and thats not too shabby, but don't expect Joe sakic ( or even Joe Thorton ) type of play from him.

Old
05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Kevin Wey

Joe Nieuwendyk: Problem, Nieuwendyk can win faceoffs, lots.

Old
05-20-2004, 11:18 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
You guys will be fine, let Bernier and Michalek come in next year and youll have greater offensive weapons. I noticed in this series that your offense failed you. Your defense was getting worn down because your offense could not sustain the forecheck long enough to tire Calgary. I'd of personally, if Wilson, pointed this fact out to the team. If the forwards worked half as hard as they did the first two rounds, I don't think you'd be the team getting the congrats on a fine season.

Just my two cents.

Good luck at the draft. Go Sharks next year. Maybe the Rangers can be your foe in the Finals next year

Old
05-20-2004, 03:42 PM
chriss_co

Iggy = prototypical NHL power forward

Marleau? well... the guy is strong and big..but his specialty is skating.. the guy is super fast.. i wouldn't say marleau is a power forward at this stage of his career...

then again, 2-3 years ago, Iggy was nowhere close to the current condition he is now.. what happened? well learning from super vets during the Olympics and also finding Craig Conroy as his centre helped immensely..

marleau needs to find his linemates... is vinny the guy? well i think vinny is too slow.. marleau needs fast gritty wingers who will do the dirty work in the corners and the boards and passes the puck to marleau...

anyways.. you guys have a great young team.. lots of high talented prospects.. hopefully a couple of them are what marleau needs on his line

i expect the sharks to be perrenial cup contenders for years to come

Old
05-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Kevin Wey

If Marleau is only going to let others get the puck for him, we could have saved a lot of time and just phoned Pat Falloon back up in Foxwarren and let Marleau go.

What I do favor is San Jose signing Alexei Zhamnov, a center with real playmaking skills, but also solid defensive awareness. (He's not physical, but he has good awareness at least.) My gut is to put fellow Russian Korolyuk on that line, but a banger like Jonathan Cheechoo could be useful. There's no need for Sturm on Marleau's line, because Korolyuk isn't that far off Sturm defensively anymore anyway.

I don't think Marleau's scoring streaks are do to a lack of effort when he goes cold. As I've noted, he was laying out some hits when not scoring. He's not a totally one-dimensional player. He just shouldn't be a center because of his faceoff inability. He's still a good player who is hopefully with the Sharks for a long time scoring 30 to 35 goals a year.

Doug Wilson:

Get Zhamnov. You know you want to.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:19 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
If Marleau is only going to let others get the puck for him, we could have saved a lot of time and just phoned Pat Falloon back up in Foxwarren and let Marleau go.

What I do favor is San Jose signing Alexei Zhamnov, a center with real playmaking skills, but also solid defensive awareness. (He's not physical, but he has good awareness at least.) My gut is to put fellow Russian Korolyuk on that line, but a banger like Jonathan Cheechoo could be useful. There's no need for Sturm on Marleau's line, because Korolyuk isn't that far off Sturm defensively anymore anyway.

I don't think Marleau's scoring streaks are do to a lack of effort when he goes cold. As I've noted, he was laying out some hits when not scoring. He's not a totally one-dimensional player. He just shouldn't be a center because of his faceoff inability. He's still a good player who is hopefully with the Sharks for a long time scoring 30 to 35 goals a year.

Doug Wilson:

Get Zhamnov. You know you want to.
If all Marleau can do is put in 30 to 35 goals a year while hitting occasionally, we should have taken Hannan 2nd overall and Marleau 22nd overall. We could have had Hossa.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Ender

I said this at the begining of this season, so I repeate it. Marleau will get 100 points in an NHL season. Once he gets his linemates and experances the World Cup, he will explode as a top sniper.

Old
05-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Iggy = prototypical NHL power forward

Marleau? well... the guy is strong and big..but his specialty is skating.. the guy is super fast.. i wouldn't say marleau is a power forward at this stage of his career...

then again, 2-3 years ago, Iggy was nowhere close to the current condition he is now.. what happened? well learning from super vets during the Olympics and also finding Craig Conroy as his centre helped immensely..

marleau needs to find his linemates... is vinny the guy? well i think vinny is too slow.. marleau needs fast gritty wingers who will do the dirty work in the corners and the boards and passes the puck to marleau...

anyways.. you guys have a great young team.. lots of high talented prospects.. hopefully a couple of them are what marleau needs on his line

i expect the sharks to be perrenial cup contenders for years to come
Very interesting point. Mario is probably the biggest example of a player who learned what it takes to win playing in the World Championships.
It may be the Sharks lucky day that Marleau was chosen. Of course Gretzky and crew may have had just that in mind when they picked him.

Old
05-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
There is no need to sign Zhamnov when the Sharks have plenty of capable players In the organization. Sturm will be back, Michalek will finally have a chance to play more than one and a half games, and all the players that had career years this season will have the chance to improve on it. I've always been against buying fixes for the team, and I've been in favor of making good use of draft picks and doing a good job of developing talent.

Oh, and one more thing. PLAY MARK SMITH!!!!

Old
05-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Kevin Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
There is no need to sign Zhamnov when the Sharks have plenty of capable players In the organization. Sturm will be back, Michalek will finally have a chance to play more than one and a half games, and all the players that had career years this season will have the chance to improve on it. I've always been against buying fixes for the team, and I've been in favor of making good use of draft picks and doing a good job of developing talent.

Oh, and one more thing. PLAY MARK SMITH!!!!
Capable of what? Nothing Zhamnov can achieve for the Sharks. Damphousse sold his house, he's gone.

I doubt Michalek will crack right back into the NHL after missing nearly all of this season. (Michalek picked a good year, since the lockout might make this all moot.) He COULD, but the Sharks SHOULDN'T just throw him back in at the NHL level.

Sturm will be back, but in what condition? Just like when Bure injured his knee the first time, when a speedy player like Sturm goes down to a serious leg injury, you don't know if they'll return 100%. Viktor Kozlov broke his ankle badly in Russia the November after he was drafted and it took him about a year and half to get back to 100%. As far as Sturm learning how to win, as much as I like Germany, their team isn't THAT successful.

Numerous other NHLers have had similar troubles with ankle injuries.

Career year players: It'd be some sort of record if all them increased their production. I'm confident Korolyuk can increase his production, but McCauley and Ekman?

Instead of relying on a 20-year-old just off a serious injury for playmaking, I'd feel more comfortable going with a veteran NHLer who has proven time and time again that he can create plays.

Patrick Marleau's 30-35 goals is more than nearly any other Shark will ever see. He's a fine player, I just wish he was playing left wing since his faceoff ability is lacking and his playmaking is suspect. (I'll let Crazed talk about Marleau's, or Sturm's playmaking, as I get a kick out of it. )

This is why a line of Dimitrakos-Goc-Sturm isn't that bad, because Goc and Dimitrakos provide the creativity and Dimitrakos and Sturm finish. The line isn't very big, but isn't a group of three wilting daisies. (It allows Cheechoo to move up a line, maybe even to the first line if Wilson prefers to keep Ekman, McCauley and Korolyuk together.)

Old
05-22-2004, 07:22 PM
AvengerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Patrick Marleau's 30-35 goals is more than nearly any other Shark will ever see. He's a fine player, I just wish he was playing left wing since his faceoff ability is lacking and his playmaking is suspect. (I'll let Crazed talk about Marleau's, or Sturm's playmaking, as I get a kick out of it. )
I feel Marleau has ok playmaking skills. It's not good, but it's really not bad either.

Old
05-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
He can't hit the broad side of a barn. (I resisted...really, I did!) He can put the puck in the net fine, but he has no skill in his passing whatsoever.

Does anybody ever remember saying "oh what a pass by Marleau?" I can remember saying that about Korolyuk, or Damphousse, or Cheechoo (whose passing is quickly climbing up my charts), but never about Marleau. He and Sturm (thanks for the set-up, KW...GREAT passing!) have horrible passing skills. It's no wonder they consistently finish with as many goals (or more) as assists. There are up to two helpers to every goal, which means most players should have more goals than assists. The math speaks for itself.

Marleau, this year, had 28 goals, 29 helpers.
Sturm had 21 and 20 before he went down with injury.

Passing, more than anything, is still what this team lacks. More than power forwards or power play quarterbacks, this team lacks passing. Michalek is a good help on that (and, IMO, should make the team next season), and there is more help on the way, but the team still suffers passing the rock. It's not limited to just Marleau and Sturm, but they are possibly the biggest offenders, considering their placement on lines.

~Crazed.

EDIT:
Cheech had 28 goals and only 19 helpers, but I have to put a lot of the blame on Ricci and Thorty, who, sadly, aren't the goal-scorers they were as recently as two years ago. Ricci had just 7 goals, while Thorty had just 13.

Last edited by Hockeycrazed07: 05-22-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old
05-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
The Sharks reached new highs this year without pulling a Detroit or Colorado and buying players in the off-season. If they keep this team together, they'll get better over more time. Doug Wilson is also in favor of giving players in the organization a chance to fill in the roles needed. Just because they didn't quite reach the cup this year doesn't mean they need to go and get a big name player in the off-season. They didn't do that last season and look how they turned things around. It's not like they're losing everybody and are in desperate need for a big name player, almost all of the team will be back next year. That is if there is a next year...

Old
05-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
The Sharks reached new highs this year without pulling a Detroit or Colorado ...
I find it funny how few players were signed as free agents by Detroit, yet they're still labeled for spending in the off-season. By and large, Detroit has drafted or traded their way to greatness, and most of their spending has been keeping what they already had. I could give a run-down of their players, but it would take a ton of time and you seem to have already made up your mind on the team. If there's a team that I would hope SJ would emulate as far as drafting and trading well, it'd be Detroit, for the most part.

Colorado is in a similar situation. Who, other than Kariya and Salami, was signed as a UFA? How many others were drafted or traded for?

What horrid examples! Best-case is that SJ didn't pull a NYR and miss the playoffs. Worst-case is that they didn't get the job done this year, no matter what anybody says. The truth lies in the middle.

~Crazed.

Old
05-22-2004, 11:10 PM
AvengerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
I find it funny how few players were signed as free agents by Detroit, yet they're still labeled for spending in the off-season. By and large, Detroit has drafted or traded their way to greatness, and most of their spending has been keeping what they already had. I could give a run-down of their players, but it would take a ton of time and you seem to have already made up your mind on the team. If there's a team that I would hope SJ would emulate as far as drafting and trading well, it'd be Detroit, for the most part.

Colorado is in a similar situation. Who, other than Kariya and Salami, was signed as a UFA? How many others were drafted or traded for?

What horrid examples! Best-case is that SJ didn't pull a NYR and miss the playoffs. Worst-case is that they didn't get the job done this year, no matter what anybody says. The truth lies in the middle.

~Crazed.
Colorado is the worst example of a team that was bought. If you look at it, 1 franchise player was drafted (Sakic), and 2 others were traded for (Forsberg, Roy). The two other players that fill out their first line was drafted (Tanguay, Hedjuk). Their top 2 D was drafted and traded for (Foote, Blake). Colorado is the powerhouse I hope San Jose will match and surpass.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Kevin Wey

All you had to do was watch The Season and realize how many new players Colorado had this year. The price you pay when you're consistently good is that you don't get those early picks each round. The Colorado franchise was made by their success in the Lindros trade, that's all there is to it really. That matched with some of their draft picks during their years of futility.

Detroit keeps their reputation because of Hasek and Hatcher, not to mention a lot of the rest of their roster were not drafted by the Wings. Maybe eventually Detroit's European draft picks will comprise a fair portion of their roster, until then...

Old
05-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Hockeycrazed07

...and some awesome deals and drafts. Like sending Ricci to SJ for Tanguay (though the deal involved more than those two)? Brilliant. Stealing Svatos from the 7th? More brilliance. Liles in the 5th was another good pick. Nolan-for-Ozo got them a Cup. Of course, all was built on the Lindros deal, but that's not the only thing that Colorado's done well. While I don't disagree with them being 30th on the team rankings, they still have some good stuff on the way, too. I like Johnny Boychuk, for example. Sauve in the A is a step below Aebi. (That's really good, in other words.) Budaj is on his way, too. SJ isn't the only one with a stacked net. He's getting a lot of garbage lately, but Lacroix is right up there among GM's as far as getting what he needs when he needs it. Blake? Kono? The list goes on.

I'd honestly put Lacroix and Holland and that guy in NJ ( ) among the best GM's in the NHL, and I don't feel bad about putting both Dumbo and DW in their company.

~Crazed.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:31 AM
AvengerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
I'd honestly put Lacroix and Holland and that guy in NJ ( ) among the best GM's in the NHL, and I don't feel bad about putting both Dumbo and DW in their company.

~Crazed.
It amazes me that Dean Lombardi has still not been hired. His handling of contract hold outs aside, he's definitely a GM that can get things done.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Hockeycrazed07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK
It amazes me that Dean Lombardi has still not been hired. His handling of contract hold outs aside, he's definitely a GM that can get things done.
He has been hired, though. He's currently a scout in recently-knocked-off Philly.
Just like Scotty Bowman still has a job in Detroit.

~Crazed.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Kevin Wey

I wish Chicago would hire Lombardi. They could use somebody like him to help rebuild that team properly, in conjunction with another Sutter Chicago has a fair number of good young players and prospects.

Svatos: Everyone finds one now and again. Colorado does have decent net depth, but I don't think they compare to San Jose at defense.

San Jose's prospect depth chart is significantly bolstered by how active they are in signing free agent prospects.

Teams that are consistently good rely on acquiring players through various means because their draft picks aren't the early first round blue chippers. Detroit's list of European prospects is impressive, especially combing Sweden. (For Grigorenko's sake, I hope he heals from his car wreck 100%, it sounded BAD!)

Detroit, thankfully, doesn't jack up payrolls on questionable players, like the Rangers used to. That said, Detroit is a team that could be affected by any luxury tax. (Crazed is probably right, a hard salary cap in the NHL isn't likely and if so, phased in over time, probably in time for the next lockout.)

Old
05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
what

Rick Dudley and Brian Burke are both out of jobs right now, so Deano has some competition if he wants to land another GM position. However, teams should take a good look at what Deano has to offer before going for the usual musical chairs.

Closed Thread