HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ribeiro to [You Pick]

Old
07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Bogosian may not have started at the same blistering pace as Doughty, but I'd imagine Zach’s trade value is only slightly below Drew’s right now.

Teams aren't just going to toss aside potential franchise D after 2 seasons, especially at a position like defense where most players need time to develop. Guys who dominate on defense at a young age like Doughty and Myers are rare. Most D are just hitting their stride in their early to mid-20s.

Ribs is a great offensive player, but he is worth a Top 5 pick.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:58 AM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Bogosian may not have started at the same blistering pace as Doughty, but I'd imagine Zach’s trade value is only slightly below Drew’s right now.

Teams aren't just going to toss aside potential franchise D after 2 seasons, especially at a position like defense where most players need time to develop. Guys who dominate on defense at a young age like Doughty and Myers are rare. Most D are just hitting their stride in their early to mid-20s.

Ribs is a great offensive player, but he is worth a Top 5 pick.
Wow, I didn't realize he had that kind of potential. I knew he was good, but a trade value "only slightly below [Doughty]" is still pretty stinking high. I guess it's fair to say that the trade idea isn't a good one.

Appreciate the analysis, BigG.

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:00 AM
seanlinden

Gotta love the proposals where the Stars are getting top prospects and no salary back. I think a lot of people on this board need to realize that when you're trading players at this point in the offseason, you have to be either getting a very poor return (like Ehrhoff) or taking the value in players that have significant salary back.

BTW, Bogosian is nowhere near Doughty right now; but he does have a ton of potential. The Thrashers problably like what they have developing on the blueline.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Atheris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
My assumption is that Dallas attempts to keep Richards and trade Ribeiro to acquire a puck-moving defenseman. The below proposals are based on the other teams' perceived need for a #1a/b center.

PLEASE NOTE: The following proposals are NOT one-for-one trades. They simply consist of the main pieces of the trade. If you think the main pieces will work, then finalize the deal by adding the additional pieces to make it work. If you do not think that the main pieces will work, then simply say so.

to DAL
Roszival

to NYR
Ribeiro
___

[EDIT: Removed Ribeiro/Burns. See post #2 by 'nickschultzfan'.]
___

to DAL
Souray

to EDM
Ribeiro
___

[EDIT: Removed Ribeiro/Ballard. Ballard traded to Vancouver.]
___

to DAL
White

to CGY
Ribeiro
___

to DAL
J. Johnson

to LA
Ribeiro
___

to DAL
Bogosian

to ATL
Ribeiro
Dallas is on a very strict budget and that is why they would move Ribiero. That eliminates Souray and Roszival from the equation. No one was interested in Souray for free (waivers) so no one is going to give real value for him, especially a team on a tight budget.

If Columbus is looking for a top-line center then Ribiero would be a good fit and they have some young, inexpensive pieces to move if they wanted to do it.

Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:02 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 297
From the Dallas perspective, I like Ribeiro + Daley for Bogosian and whatever; I also like anything involving Ribeiro for Jack Johnson. White and Roszival aren't good enough starting points to make it worthwhile to me; unless there's an even better defenseman in the package, then all we're doing is adding more of an asset we already have too much of, in exchange for one of our better pieces.

As an aside on the Roszival / Sanguinetti offer ... am I the only one who doesn't like Bobby Sanguinetti strictly on the basis that his name makes him sound like a vampire?

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Gotta love the proposals where the Stars are getting top prospects and no salary back.
So like many many Kaberle proposals?

I don't think they should get a top prospect back, but they won't trade a player like Ribeiro for a more expensive player in return. He's a 1b center with very respectable stats and would be a number 1 on 5-10 squads IMO. If he does get traded, it will be for defensive help.

Quote:
I think a lot of people on this board need to realize that when you're trading players at this point in the offseason, you have to be either getting a very poor return (like Ehrhoff) or taking the value in players that have significant salary back.
Erhoff is not a poor return. I encourage you to go onto the Vanfanboard and express your views. And does this apply to everyone but Kaberle then, or would he be included in this generalization?

BTW, you are my favorite poster hands down. No sarcasm.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
From the Dallas perspective, I like Ribeiro + Daley for Bogosian and whatever; I also like anything involving Ribeiro for Jack Johnson. White and Roszival aren't good enough starting points to make it worthwhile to me; unless there's an even better defenseman in the package, then all we're doing is adding more of an asset we already have too much of, in exchange for one of our better pieces.

As an aside on the Roszival / Sanguinetti offer ... am I the only one who doesn't like Bobby Sanguinetti strictly on the basis that his name makes him sound like a vampire?
I think in order for us to talk Bogo or JJ, we would need to start with one of Neal, Benn or Eriksson. LA would never take Ribeiro, even if he fills there need for a #2 centerman, Atlanta makes sense as a destination, just not Bogo in return.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:30 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
So like many many Kaberle proposals?

I don't think they should get a top prospect back, but they won't trade a player like Ribeiro for a more expensive player in return. He's a 1b center with very respectable stats and would be a number 1 on 5-10 squads IMO. If he does get traded, it will be for defensive help.

Erhoff is not a poor return. I encourage you to go onto the Vanfanboard and express your views. And does this apply to everyone but Kaberle then, or would he be included in this generalization?

BTW, you are my favorite poster hands down. No sarcasm.
Not that it's relevant to the thread, but most Kaberle proposals has teh Leafs taking equal or greater salary back. He wouldn't be traded in a cap dump, he'd be traded in a hockey trade where salaries are close to equal.

Ehrhoff is not the return, the return is looking at what Ehrhoff got 1 year ago -- Daniel Rahimi (a defenceman now playing in the SEL) & Patrick White (ranked a 6.0D and looking like a 1st round bust); and I'm sure Vancouver fans are still laughing at that one.

The only way for a player like Ribeiro to get significant value back is if that value comes with significant salary attached. You wont get a top prospect, but if you find the right trading partner, you can get a player woh makes $3-4m and brings a game consistent with that salary. After free agency, teams are for the most part capped out and have only minor needs to fill. Otherwise, it'll be teams willing to take on Ribeiro if they're giving up very little.

Could the Stars shed $1-2m in a Ribeiro trade and get good value? Absolutely. But, if the Stars are looking to shed Ribeiro's entire paycheque and only take back an ELC or sub-$2m contract, their not going to get back much.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Not that it's relevant to the thread, but most Kaberle proposals has teh Leafs taking equal or greater salary back. He wouldn't be traded in a cap dump, he'd be traded in a hockey trade where salaries are close to equal.

Ehrhoff is not the return, the return is looking at what Ehrhoff got 1 year ago -- Daniel Rahimi (a defenceman now playing in the SEL) & Patrick White (ranked a 6.0D and looking like a 1st round bust); and I'm sure Vancouver fans are still laughing at that one.

The only way for a player like Ribeiro to get significant value back is if that value comes with significant salary attached. You wont get a top prospect, but if you find the right trading partner, you can get a player woh makes $3-4m and brings a game consistent with that salary. After free agency, teams are for the most part capped out and have only minor needs to fill. Otherwise, it'll be teams willing to take on Ribeiro if they're giving up very little.

Could the Stars shed $1-2m in a Ribeiro trade and get good value? Absolutely. But, if the Stars are looking to shed Ribeiro's entire paycheque and only take back an ELC or sub-$2m contract, their not going to get back much.
Good analysis. It's for reasons that you mentioned that I would think a trade with the NYR to be beneficial (thought I may be in the minority). My earlier proposal:

to NYR
Ribeiro
Skrastins

to DAL
Roszival
Gilroy
Boyle

I think this is good because Dallas sheds about $1M in real dollars this year and potentially more next year depending on how much Gilroy re-signs for. Roszival is no top-tier d-man, but he would be in the top three on the Dallas roster. Gilroy is young and has a lot of potential. Same with Boyle. Dallas gets cheaper, better on defense, and younger. All the while, the trade still benefits NYR in their area of need as well. JMHO.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:

Ahh. Missunderstood your Erhoff point.

I don't think Ribs lands a high end prospect, or someone with a very low contract. IMO, in order to make good use of Ribeiro the asset, he would be used to gain quality defensive help and they might have to add in order to get the 1/2 defender they are in the market for. I realize that player comes with a salary comparable to Ribeiro's.

Or maybe we just send him to Toronto for Gunnarson and a 2nd?

Old
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
Ahh. Missunderstood your Erhoff point.

I don't think Ribs lands a high end prospect, or someone with a very low contract. IMO, in order to make good use of Ribeiro the asset, he would be used to gain quality defensive help and they might have to add in order to get the 1/2 defender they are in the market for. I realize that player comes with a salary comparable to Ribeiro's.

Or maybe we just send him to Toronto for Gunnarson and a 2nd?
So now we seem to be on the same page... the only problem is that making a trade like that requires the Stars to find a team that needs a centre, is willing to pay $5m for one and has a $3-4m defenceman to send back.

The Leafs aren't trading Gunnarsson for Ribeiro....diving does not fit in with what the Leafs are trying to build and Leafs fans got quite angry with the suggestion of Ribs to Toronto for anything. With 3 young options at C, it's just not worth it. James Neal (and Jamie Benn/Loui Eriksson) are the only two players that get the Leafs talking about Gunnarsson (in all 3 cases Gunnarsson+ of course).

Old
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

No offence, but how come one deal is for Souray and then all of a sudden is value sky rockets enough to get Bogosian?

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchleafguy View Post
No offence, but how come one deal is for Souray and then all of a sudden is value sky rockets enough to get Bogosian?
This thread is months old, before Souray cleared waivers.

It's just random post your Ribeiro to whoever deal and someone thought Atlanta could use Ribeiro (I'd assume that's the premise), but misunderstood what Bogo's value is.

Old
07-16-2010, 11:33 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Good analysis. It's for reasons that you mentioned that I would think a trade with the NYR to be beneficial (thought I may be in the minority). My earlier proposal:

to NYR
Ribeiro
Skrastins

to DAL
Roszival
Gilroy
Boyle

I think this is good because Dallas sheds about $1M in real dollars this year and potentially more next year depending on how much Gilroy re-signs for. Roszival is no top-tier d-man, but he would be in the top three on the Dallas roster. Gilroy is young and has a lot of potential. Same with Boyle. Dallas gets cheaper, better on defense, and younger. All the while, the trade still benefits NYR in their area of need as well. JMHO.
That's an OK trade, the problem with is is that I don't really see the urgency for the Stars to make it... sure they save $1m this year....but they're losing a good $5m centre for what really amounts to very little unless they see Gilroy as having a lot more potential.

Old
07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Edmonton wins the Souray/Ribeiro deal by a mile.

While they're both good players who would normally have similar trade value, Souray's trade request and subsequent waiving puts his value at zero.
Agreed. It would need to be Souray plus a few second round picks (Tambellini won't trade first rounders or prospects, they are rebuilding the farm team too), and I don't know if Dallas would want anything to do with that.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:53 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The Kings might have some interest in Ribeiro, but would prefer Richards.

Not likely you would be getting any type of roster player in return unless it is in a package that includes Parse +

I would think Dallas should be looking for prospects and picks by now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Not likely you would be getting any type of roster player in return unless it is in a package that includes Parse +

Los Angeles actually makes a ton of sense, with or without Kovalchuk. You do something along the lines of Ribeiro for Williams + Hickey...

Old
07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

sooooo Ribeiro for Forbort

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:

to DAL
Bogosian

to ATL
Ribeiro
Oduya/Hainsey for ribeiro would make a lot more sense.

If the Thrashers trade Bogosian, one of James Neal and Loui Eriksson has to be coming back.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Vitto79

if its to dump salary long term how about Gilroy, Boyle, Brashear, 2nd rounder

please

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Oduya/Hainsey for ribeiro would make a lot more sense.

If the Thrashers trade Bogosian, one of James Neal and Loui Eriksson has to be coming back.
I'd definitely consider a Bogo-Neal swap, or at least a trade involving those two players.

07-16-2010, 01:33 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'd definitely consider a Bogo-Neal swap, or at least a trade involving those two players.
I second that...

Old
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
toquerasta

Tomas who?

toquerasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
That's an OK trade, the problem with is is that I don't really see the urgency for the Stars to make it... sure they save $1m this year....but they're losing a good $5m centre for what really amounts to very little unless they see Gilroy as having a lot more potential.
I an understand, but the trade would instantly improve the defense a fair amount, add some depth to the prospect pool, and would save money. Plus, if the trade is just "OK" right now, then it is easy to improve it by simply adding more picks and/or prospects. On the surface, it would seem to satisfy a lot of needs for Dallas.

Granted, however, this type of trade would only be desirable if a top-tier defenseman was not acquirable (i.e. Bogosian).

Old
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
to DAL
Bogosian

to ATL
Ribeiro