HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Search For Flyers Goalie Underway at NHL Draft

Old
06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1213
Pronger has a NMC.

Richards' NMC kicks in July 1, 2012.

"That is uh Mine That Bird now to come on to take the lead...In a spectacular, spectacular upset, Mine That Bird has won the Kentucky Derby... an impossible result here!," Tom Durkin. The three degrees of Unbridled.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I'm starting to believe that Harding might be a great move, it looks like he could be had for a small return

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm starting to believe that Harding might be a great move, it looks like he could be had for a small return
That is who I like too. Him and Ellis

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
More Leighton chatter (Liut, the agent, was an ex-goalie in the WHA and NHL):

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/print...92&feedID=704&
I don't have a problem with anything Liut said. He's right.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
There's probably unlimited discussion from multiple areas but this is what is listed on Philly.com:

Quote:
Josh Harding, Minnesota.

At 26, Harding, now the backup to Niklas Backstrom, is young enough to blossom. But he had a subpar season - 9-12 with a 3.05 GAA and a .905 save percentage - and he is coming off April hip surgery.

According to a league source, the Flyers have only minimal interest in Harding, who had a sensational 19-game stint two seasons ago.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz0rpizOtuU

Old
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
That is who I like too. Him and Ellis
Not sure, but Carle might be of interest in Minnesota. If we can ink Hamhuis, maybe try to flip Carle for Harding and a pick at this year's draft, or Harding and a depth defensemen. Zanon might be asking for a bit much but would be a great fit. If we went with Harding its definitely a bit of a question mark, so signing Leighton to back him up would be more of a pressing need

Old
06-24-2010, 10:54 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
There's probably unlimited discussion from multiple areas but this is what is listed on Philly.com:

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz0rpizOtuU
Yeah, with the bad year last year I'm not sure that the Flyers would take that risk in goal, although in my opinion it would be no more than a risk than relying on Leighton would be

Old
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Yeah, with the bad year last year I'm not sure that the Flyers would take that risk in goal, although in my opinion it would be no more than a risk than relying on Leighton would be
Notice the article didn't mention Thomas. These events are a vortex of chitchat coming from all directions.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Notice the article didn't mention Thomas. These events are a vortex of chitchat coming from all directions.
It's really tough to gauge what the Flyers are thinking here. I'm hoping its not the status quo though

I wouldn't mind Thomas here at all but the Salary and contract length just don't match up realistically.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
It's really tough to gauge what the Flyers are thinking here. I'm hoping its not the status quo though

I wouldn't mind Thomas here at all but the Salary and contract length just don't match up realistically.
Much of the issue is centered on shedding salary, possibly involving player(s) with NTC, while trying to make room for an established goalie along with solidifying the defensive group. That probably leads to disillusionment and innuendo. Couple that with the "sources say..." because the unnamed sources want to come across as knowledgeable. Especially in the digital age, we'll be seeing much speculation some of it nonsense and some of it intriguing.

Old
06-25-2010, 12:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

All I know is, if we sign Leighton and go with a Leights/Boosh combo, I can put money that we will start Backlund a few games next season...and maybe even Bob. The only problem with Bob would be his cap hit, with including bonuses, would be at 1.75 mil

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
All I know is, if we sign Leighton and go with a Leights/Boosh combo, I can put money that we will start Backlund a few games next season...and maybe even Bob.
What's frustrating about that is that I'm sure Leighton will be "fine" for the regular season, before being a problem when we run into a series against a dangerous offense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
All I know is, if we sign Leighton and go with a Leights/Boosh combo, I can put money that we will start Backlund a few games next season...and maybe even Bob. The only problem with Bob would be his cap hit, with including bonuses, would be at 1.75 mil
I think the only problem with Bob.............is that he is a 4th string, complete unknown that hasn't ever played on N. American rinks against NHL caliber competition. I don't think he has a chance to earn the bonuses in his contract, most of the rookie bonuses are super hard to get. If next season comes to rest on his shoulders we are most likely in the deepest of s***.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:03 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

i'm not at all sold on josh harding. let's face it, he's a 26 year old unproven goaltending talent and, in all honesty, how do we know if he's going to flourish in a starting role or if he's going to turn out to be just another backup quality goaltender? sure, he had that amazing 20 game run a few seasons ago, but michael leighton had an incredible run this season into the playoffs. does that mean i want him as our starter? **** no!

i would love to get a younger goaltender like harding or schneider in order to put them in a backup role, but the flyers need a goaltender who has PROVEN without a doubt that he has the ability to start and backstop our team to the level it needs to be at. i think our best choice right now is Chris Mason. He has one of the best GAA/SV% combos in the league over the past few seasons, and he's a guy that's really well liked by his teammates and is a great locker room presence (from what i hear, obviously). i also don't think it'd take much to grab him.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
forsbergfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i'm not at all sold on josh harding. let's face it, he's a 26 year old unproven goaltending talent and, in all honesty, how do we know if he's going to flourish in a starting role or if he's going to turn out to be just another backup quality goaltender? sure, he had that amazing 20 game run a few seasons ago, but michael leighton had an incredible run this season into the playoffs. does that mean i want him as our starter? **** no!

i would love to get a younger goaltender like harding or schneider in order to put them in a backup role, but the flyers need a goaltender who has PROVEN without a doubt that he has the ability to start and backstop our team to the level it needs to be at. i think our best choice right now is Chris Mason. He has one of the best GAA/SV% combos in the league over the past few seasons, and he's a guy that's really well liked by his teammates and is a great locker room presence (from what i hear, obviously). i also don't think it'd take much to grab him.
i keep wondering where the talk about mason is too. i haven't heard much about him. i think he could be a rather solid and monetarily reasonable pick up to have as a goaltender. harding and the surgery...makes me think of some kind of emery rehash, but younger. i agree with needing someone proven. it's a must for this team right now. we have the D, we've showed the offensive production. the time is nigh. draft starts tonight, so i guess we'll see if there's any blockbuster moves by the flyers.

forsbergfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Carchidi:

Holmgren said he is optimistic team will re-sign Leighton. But is it as a backup? #Flyers

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Carchidi:

Holmgren said he is optimistic team will re-sign Leighton. But is it as a backup? #Flyers
As a valet would be ideal. The only thing that would be nice about Leighton in nets again is that when you pay to take a shot on him at the carnival, he wouldn't have to let you score to get one by him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote