HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dylan McIlrath

Old
06-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
They had Pierre McGuire and Craig Button alternate picks. The shocker for me was Brett Connolly going No. 4 to Columbus, and Cam Fowler dropping all the way to No. 7 to Carolina. I am going by memory here, so bear with me...

1. Hall (Edm)
2. Seguin (Bos)
3. Gudbranson (Fla)
4. Connolly (CBJ)
5. Gormley (NYI)
6. Johansen (TB)
7. Fowler (Car)
8. Campbell (Atl)
9. Niederreiter (Min)
10. Burmistrov (NYR)
11. Granlund (Dal)
12. Skinner (Ana)
13. Forbort (Phx)
14. McIlrath (StL)
15. Merrill (Fla)
16. Schwartz (Ott)
17. Etem (Col)
18. Tinordi (Nsh)
19. Bjugstad (LA)
20. WATSON (PIT)

Pretty sure that's how it went, guys.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Frank Grimey Grimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
They had Pierre McGuire and Craig Button alternate picks. The shocker for me was Brett Connolly going No. 4 to Columbus, and Cam Fowler dropping all the way to No. 7 to Carolina. I am going by memory here, so bear with me...

1. Hall (Edm)
2. Seguin (Bos)
3. Gudbranson (Fla)
4. Connolly (CBJ)
5. Gormley (NYI)
6. Johansen (TB)
7. Fowler (Car)
8. Campbell (Atl)
9. Niederreiter (Min)
10. Burmistrov (NYR)
11. Granlund (Dal)
12. Skinner (Ana)
13. Forbort (Phx)
14. McIlrath (StL)
15. Merrill (Fla)
16. Schwartz (Ott)
17. Etem (Col)
18. Tinordi (Nsh)
19. Bjugstad (LA)
20. WATSON (PIT)

Pretty sure that's how it went, guys.
Watching it right now, and you're got it right. If we pass on Tarasenko I may smash my television, and I love my television

Frank Grimey Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I like Tarasenko, but if Watson is there we'd be nuts to pass on him.

I feel good knowing they had us taking Watson and Tarasenko was also available. It bodes well for tomorrow, though I think there are going to be plenty of trades manana.

Just one more sleepless night, kids!

Old
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
That would be amazing!

Anyone know where I can find the TSN mock draft online?
Here you go bud:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip318138

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
peskypenguin4

Quote:

I feel good knowing they had us taking Watson and Tarasenko was also available. It bodes well for tomorrow, though I think there are going to be plenty of trades manana.

Watson makes my mouth water. I think he is a bigger version of Hossa.

The only problem with passing on Tarasenko is that he is probably only a year away from the NHL and we could have him on a cheap entry level contract. Cap problem solved. A lot of people have him as potentially the 3rd-4th best forward in the whole draft.

peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Thanks.

peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:

The only problem with passing on Tarasenko is that he is probably only a year away from the NHL and we could have him on a cheap entry level contract. Cap problem solved. A lot of people have him as potentially the 3rd-4th best forward in the whole draft.
Yeah, I know. BUT, Watson could be on the club even sooner...he'll go to camp and who knows after that. It's not like we're swimming with guys better than him ahead of him on the depth chart.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Mrs Crosby's Dryer

I've been a proponent of picking McIlrath each time a draft thread comes up... we desperately need some snarl on the blueline and there is some additional upside potential beyond his physical play... the WHL is just as good a proving ground as any so I think he'd be potentially closer to making the big club in the next couple of seasons more so than Tinordi (who I wouldn't hate if we picked either)... hopefully he's still available at # 20 and Ray takes the chance

Mrs Crosby's Dryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
How is Tinordi a better pick? McIlrath is rated higher by McKenzie and also by CSB. McIlrath plays in the WHL, so if drafted he'd be able to attend training camp right away and start learning how to be a Penguin. Tinordi is heading to college.

I don't see how Tinordi is a better pick than McIlrath.
What's wrong with going the college route? I actually think it'd be the better way to go for a defenseman like Tinordi & McIlrath. Tinordi will be going up against more physically grown men anywhere from age 18-25. While McIlrath will be beating up younger kids age 16-20 the next two years. It could help out McIlrath from a developmental standpoint, but it'll all depend if he's just a meathead or actually wants to be a complete hockey player. I can easily see McIlrath having trouble adjusting to the AHL level of play especially when his bronze won't be as shiny, while Tinordi will be more acclimated to it going the college route.

Also McGuire and Button agreed that McIlrath needs to do a lot of refining to his game and will need acouple seasons in the AHL. Sure every prospect does but why was he singled out?

Old
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

I think that was the first mock draft where I saw McIlrath and Tinordi going in the top 20. If that happens to be the case tomorrow which means we'd get Watson I'll be happy.

Old
06-25-2010, 12:20 AM
invictus

What time does the draft start?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:27 AM
66-29-33

Cmon Ray, pick Kabanov!

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2449
I have a hunch Tampa takes Campbell. They've got their franchise forward (Stamkos) and franchise defenseman (Hedman). Campbell would give them, potentially, their franchise goalie.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:14 AM
redsono93

Quote:

Any chance we get Watson and package a trade for a later 1st round pick, to pick Tarasenko and or Kabanov?

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Get To Our Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
What time does the draft start?
Round one begins at 7. Round two begins Saturday at 1.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:22 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I'll wait 2-3 years to see who I wanted.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:58 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I just think Tinordi has a much higher upside. Tinordi could become a bigger Orpik, while I see McIlrath becoming Andy Sutton.

Orpik >> Sutton
Gotta give Sutton the edge. He's an expert.

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:59 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Any chance we get Watson and package a trade for a later 1st round pick, to pick Tarasenko and or Kabanov?
Honestly don't think Kabanov is gonna go in the first round.

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimey Grimes View Post
Watching it right now, and you're got it right. If we pass on Tarasenko I may smash my television, and I love my television
2nded... IMO if you take out the whole Russian factor Tarasenko is a top 5 or 6 player in this draft.

Wow... TSN had Fowler that low. I guess that rep for being a puss is really catching on. That doesn't mean he's bad defensively or anything. I think he plays alot like Larry Murphy.

What do you guys think about Faulk? He has a ton of skill and looks great on the PP.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

I just want any of these five names:

Bjustad, Tinordi, Watson, McIlrath or Etem. Is that too much to ask for?

But my top two favorites are in bold. Either way, I am real excited for our position in the draft. Take advantage of this pick, Ray. We won't be picking at this spot in the future (Or at least I hope not.)

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:43 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Honestly don't think Kabanov is gonna go in the first round.
Lots of mocks have Washington picking him up at 24. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Wow... TSN had Fowler that low. I guess that rep for being a puss is really catching on. That doesn't mean he's bad defensively or anything. I think he plays alot like Larry Murphy.
I haven't seen much of him outside of tournaments. A lot of his profiles read a bit like ol' Ryan Whitney.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I have a hunch Tampa takes Campbell. They've got their franchise forward (Stamkos) and franchise defenseman (Hedman). Campbell would give them, potentially, their franchise goalie.
I'm going to say not a chance. Steve Yzerman is from the Detroit school of thinking...don't waste big assets on goaltending, draft skill and go heavy on European talent. I'd bet the farm on that.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
What's wrong with going the college route? I actually think it'd be the better way to go for a defenseman like Tinordi & McIlrath. Tinordi will be going up against more physically grown men anywhere from age 18-25. While McIlrath will be beating up younger kids age 16-20 the next two years. It could help out McIlrath from a developmental standpoint, but it'll all depend if he's just a meathead or actually wants to be a complete hockey player. I can easily see McIlrath having trouble adjusting to the AHL level of play especially when his bronze won't be as shiny, while Tinordi will be more acclimated to it going the college route.

Also McGuire and Button agreed that McIlrath needs to do a lot of refining to his game and will need acouple seasons in the AHL. Sure every prospect does but why was he singled out?
McIlrath will also go to NHL training camp at least once and probably twice before Tinordi ever sniffs it. Grown men? Yeah, that's the NHL. I think people underestimate pre-season games for freshly drafted players. They're absolutely huge. Yeah sure, the NHL regulars don't play with Stanley Cup finals intensity, but a kid in pre-season knows pretty quickly just how quick the speed of the NHL game for him. To me, nothing will speed up his development more than the NHL pre-season, because the kid will know quickly what he needs to advance.

In a salary-cap era, a kid in the first round would have to knock my socks off for me to pick him if he were heading to College. The same holds true for Euros. Unless the high schoolers or Euros are heading to the CHL after the draft, or unless the Euros are willing or are allowed to attend training camp. Otherwise, I'd make those picks AFTER Round 1. These assets are more previous today than they've ever been. The sooner they arrive, the better...especially when you have a few cap and roster issues.

This draft, I'd make exceptions for certain guys in Round 1. Tarasenko for sure, Granlund definitely. Tinordi? Yeah, but not if McIlrath is still on the board...or if Watson, Skinner, Granlund or Tarasenko are still on the board.

Anyways, to each his/her own.

Old
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Lots of mocks have Washington picking him up at 24. We'll see.

I haven't seen much of him outside of tournaments. A lot of his profiles read a bit like ol' Ryan Whitney.
IMO the thing that killed Whitney is mental strength and bad habits. Not so much in terms of hockey IQ but he always seemed nervous to me. I remember watching him play for Boston and he just looked flat out awesome. He was passing the puck through people, skating the puck up ice a lot and getting off a great one timer. He also would get caught bunching up with his partner, have smaller players get through him along the boards and look at the puck while someone would sneak in back of him. I think that when MT, who I hated as a teacher for the Pens youth, was trying to get rid of those bad habits he also made Whits affraid to try anything that made him a great player. In the end I think Whitney should have been held back a little longer in WBS even though he was dominating that league. He could have matured and gotten the mental edge needed to be an NHL star. This happened to a lot of Pens players at that time and a few years after. IMO there are about 3 players on the Pens (and a few not on the Pens) that weren't brought along correctly and should have ended up being better players. All played for MT at WBS.

As for Fowler I think that he plays a more cerebral game than Whits does. His positioning and habits are better so while he might not bang and crash to get the puck he usually ends up with it. Thats why he reminds me of Larry Murphy or maybe even a Teppo Nummenin. Skill wise he reminds me a lot of D Potvin with the way he can draw people to him and then make a long stretch pass. He isn't even close to being a Potvin type player though.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:38 AM
regard

We may need some snarl right now on the blueline but we cant pick a player because of that in the draft if theres really good forwards available(im talking a mix of BPA and NEED).
We can sign Snarl in FA we cant afford to sign talented young forwards.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote