HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Volchenkov's rights to the Canucks for Bernier, 4th

Old
06-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Dado

vCash:
Didn't we just have a thread detailing that trading for rights almost invariably leads to paying top dollar contracts?

A 4th is pretty worthless - and I'm not a Bernier fan - but is Volchenkov really the guy to pay to dollar to?

Old
06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
MTechnik
Showtime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I'd kill for this. I want Volchenkov so bad. Didn't Gillis just say he thought trading for rights was dumb though?
Yes he said that multiple times but then again he's an NHL GM, you can't believe everything they say.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
lefty2time*

THE CANUCKS NEED TO HIT MORE. We could really really use a player like this...... he is tough as nails

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:35 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
THE CANUCKS NEED TO HIT MORE. We could really really use a player like this...... he is tough as nails
hes the type of dman we need no doubt, but if its gonna take 5 million is it worth it?

i see him as a 2nd pairing dman. and 5 million to me is a star player's salary.

Imo right idea, but his price tag is way too high.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The rumour makes no sense.

According to Bruce Garrioch today:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../14494441.html

Trading Bernier and a pick to acquire Volchenkov's pending UFA rights is contrary to what Gillis said when asked acquiring the rights to Dan Hamhuis:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ha...#ixzz0rjjSX53n

Also Volchenkov and Salo can have a running bet on who misses the most games due to injury:

Volchenkov's injury report since the lockout:
2010/04/01 Missed 1 game (upper body injury).
2010/03/30 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2010/01/26 Missed 1 game (upper body injury).
2010/01/23 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2009/12/01 Missed 14 games (dislocated right elbow).
2009/10/29 Dislocated right elbow, late November.
2009/01/27 Missed 9 games (shoulder injury).
2009/01/04 Shoulder injury, day-to-day.
2009/01/03 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
2008/12/27 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2008/12/19 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
2008/12/13 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2008/01/04 Missed 15 games (broken finger).
2008/01/01 Broken finger, day-to-day.
2007/11/30 Broken finger, sidelined indefinitely.
2007/11/29 Hand injury, left Thursday's game.
2007/04/03 Missed 1 game (headache).
2007/03/31 Headache, day-to-day.
2007/01/13 Missed 1 game (ankle injury).
2007/01/11 Ankle injury, day-to-day.
2006/11/30 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
2006/11/26 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2006/05/11 Missed Game 3 of Round Two against the Buffalo Sabres (head injury).
2006/05/10 Head injury, day-to-day.
2006/04/08 Missed 2 games (neck injury).
2006/04/05 Neck injury, day-to-day.
2006/03/30 Missed 3 games (slight concussion).
2006/03/22 Slight concussion, day-to-day.
2006/03/21 Concussion, left Tuesday's game.
2005/11/05 Missed 2 games (rib injury).
2005/11/01 Rib injury, day-to-day.

In a recent interview Volchenkov said he prefers to stay in the Eastern Conference:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,236997

The salary numbers being tossed about are $5 - 6 million per on a multi -year deal - I cannot see that interesting Gillis.
Your missing a key sentence in Gillis' statement on acquiring player's rights: "But you never say never."

I also wound't take Gillis' philosophy to seriously either since he acquired Ryder's rights previously.

The salary numbers are pure speculation and I wouldn't be surprised if he's locked up long term with a $4.5-5 million cap hit which is fair value for the tools he brings.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
i see him as a 2nd pairing dman. and 5 million to me is a star player's salary.
Maybe 5 years ago it was. When Willie Mitchell signed his contract with the Canucks his cap hit was approx 8% of the cap. $5M under the current salary cap would be approx 8% of the cap. Now the cap is unlikely to rise as rapidly as it did before, but 8% of the cap is hardly overpayment for one of the best shutdown defenders in the NHL.

My main concern with Volchenkov at $5M is his health.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I call ********. I'd say there's virtually no chance this rumour is legit. I doubt Anton Volchenkov is even on Gillis radar - and for good reason. He's unlikely to move out West, will be overpaid for his contributions and has too many question marks with his durability.

Mike Gillis wants to assemble a fast, attack oriented backend. If he targets anybody it'll likely be someone who can skate and handle the puck. Volchenkov can do neither of those things.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:48 PM
alternate

not really buying the rumour at this point, and Volchekov wouldn't be my first choice (due to likely cap hit, LHS, injuries) but he certainly addresses everything we're looking for (cept RHS). and from what I can tell, he doesn't tend to miss playoff games, for all his injury history. considering the way he plays, some injuries are to be expected, and as long as they don't happen during the postseason (at least not consistently, like with Salo) then who really cares if he misses 10-15 games in the season, as long as we have some depth to fill in for those games.

still, not buying this rumour.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
...one of the best shutdown defenders in the NHL.
That is, at best, a debatable proposition.

I just don't see him as being anywhere near worthy $5M.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Maybe 5 years ago it was. When Willie Mitchell signed his contract with the Canucks his cap hit was approx 8% of the cap. $5M under the current salary cap would be approx 8% of the cap. Now the cap is unlikely to rise as rapidly as it did before, but 8% of the cap is hardly overpayment for one of the best shutdown defenders in the NHL.

My main concern with Volchenkov at $5M is his health.
Point taken about the cap numbers, but mitchell in 2006/2007 was a clear cut top 10 defensive dman. Im not sure if volchenkov is a clear cut top 10 defensive dman now.

I know he hits a lot and blocks a ton of shots, but his defensive game imo is overrated. On the sens alone, i would consider phillips a better defensive dman.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Placebo Effect

Man...this next week will be insane

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:50 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That is, at best, a debatable proposition.

I just don't see him as being anywhere near worthy $5M.
who, in your eyes, is worth $5m, UFA or not?

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Im not sure if volchenkov is a clear cut top 10 defensive dman now.

I know he hits a lot and blocks a ton of shots, but his defensive game imo is overrated. On the sens alone, i would consider phillips a better defensive dman.

Yea, you're probably right, Volchenkov isn't quite at the top of the list. But among players who are actually available, I'd put him near the top. Michalek would be the ideal player IMO given his mobility.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:54 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Moving Bernier pays $2m of V's $5mish/y. Let's say Hansen replaces Bernier at $750k. If we can move Bieksa it breaks down as (roster

Bieksa + Bernier ($5.75m)
for
Vochenkov ($5.25m) + Random name 4th liner ie Hansen ($750k) at $6m.

almost unchanged salary

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:55 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Your missing a key sentence in Gillis' statement on acquiring player's rights: "But you never say never."

I also wound't take Gillis' philosophy to seriously either since he acquired Ryder's rights previously.

The salary numbers are pure speculation and I wouldn't be surprised if he's locked up long term with a $4.5-5 million cap hit which is fair value for the tools he brings.
Gillis also didn't give up anything in that situation. Giving up a roster player (regardless of what you think of Bernier) along with a draft pick (in a draft we already lack picks in) just for a chance to talk to Volchenkov seems like the opposite of what Gillis would do.

JUMBOcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
who, in your eyes, is worth $5m, UFA or not?
There are all kinds of players worth $5M - we even have a couple on our roster, the Sedins. Volchenkov, IMO, is not such a player.

For $5M, I expect a top-minutes guy, which he wasn't on what can only be described as a decidedly mediocre defensive core. Add in the injury problems, which prorate the $5M to an eye-popping $6.5M, and it simply does not make sense to me.

For Bieksa money - sure - no problem.

Old
06-23-2010, 11:59 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMBOcanuck View Post
Gillis also didn't give up anything in that situation. Giving up a roster player (regardless of what you think of Bernier) along with a draft pick (in a draft we already lack picks in) just for a chance to talk to Volchenkov seems like the opposite of what Gillis would do.
I'm not sure what perception you have of Gillis, this is the same GM who offered Sundin 20 million dollars and the same GM who signed a 30 goal scorer to 2 million per. Bold move.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Yea, you're probably right, Volchenkov isn't quite at the top of the list. But among players who are actually available, I'd put him near the top. Michalek would be the ideal player IMO given his mobility.
Michalek is probably a better dman. Martin is likely the best out of the bunch.

But i simply think it wouldn't be the best move to sign any of these to a big contract.

Ideally, Gillis really needs to make a trade. And he has does have the pieces to land a good dman on a nice contract.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Lawyer speak for when HE Double Hockey Sticks freezes over.

When did the Canucks acquire Ryder's rights? It has been reported an offer was made by Gillis when he was free agent.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...sniper/?page=3

This entire thread is pure speculation from CDC via a random blogger.

According to reports Volchekov already turned down a multi -year offer of $4 million a year in Ottawa tendered right after the Olympics:
Quote:
As reported by the Ottawa Sun, Volchenkov turned down the Senators’ five-year, $20-million offer after the Olympics.
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../14233781.html

As far as price if Hamhuis is off the market by signing in Philly the Volchekov becomes even more valuable on the open market:
Quote:
What's he worth? Well, let's put it this way -- the biggest winner of the Dan Hamhuis-to-Philly trade might be Volchenkov. If Hammer signs with the Flyers (and by all indications that appears to be the plan), one of the more sought-after UFA defencemen is off the market and Volchenkov's asking price could rise in the process. Sam McCaig of Yahoo! Sports suggested Volchenkov could sign for $5-6 million a season which seems high, but not outrageous. And since Volchenkov already turned down a five-year, $20 million dollar deal from Ottawa after the Olympics (according to the Ottawa Sun), perhaps he's thinking the same.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...olchenkov.aspx

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Michalek is probably a better dman. Martin is likely the best out of the bunch.

But i simply think it wouldn't be the best move to sign any of these to a big contract.

Ideally, Gillis really needs to make a trade. And he has does have the pieces to land a good dman on a nice contract.
Just out of curiosity-- can you name some good defenceman on a good contract that Canucks could acquire.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:07 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Here are some crazinesses. Nucks have some serious room to manouver if they are realistically capable (capwise anyway) of pulling off the following

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
* Mason Raymond ($2.750m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)* / Michael Grabner ($0.843m)
Ladd ($2.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.667m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
* Tanner Glass ($0.600m) / * Maholtra ($1.300m) / * Jannik Hansen ($0.750m)
Rick Rypien ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

* Volchenkov ($5.250m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($3.100m) / *Hamhuis/Michalek ($4.500m)
Sami Salo ($3.500m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)
Lee Sweatt ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP: $59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.893m; CAP ROOM: $0.357m BONUSES: $0.850m

Last edited by me2: 06-24-2010 at 12:15 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:12 AM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Lawyer speak for when HE Double Hockey Sticks freezes over.

When did the Canucks acquire Ryder's rights? It has been reported an offer was made by Gillis when he was free agent.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...sniper/?page=3

This entire thread is pure speculation from CDC via a random blogger.

According to reports Volchekov already turned down a multi -year offer of $4 million a year in Ottawa tendered right after the Olympics:
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../14233781.html

As far as price if Hamhuis is off the market by signing in Philly the Volchekov becomes even more valuable on the open market:

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...olchenkov.aspx
Andy Strickland:

Quote:
Did you know the Canucks had exclusive negotiating rights with Michael Ryder for several days leading up to July 1st? The Canucks were obviously outbid by the Boston Bruins.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16251

I'm assuming it was for a conditional pick contingent on Ryder signing.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:20 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Just out of curiosity-- can you name some good defenceman on a good contract that Canucks could acquire.
That will take some time to really come up with a list of good targets.

Just did a quick peek at capgeek. (just looked a handful of teams)

And some names that come up"

anaheim- wizniewski, 2.75 million, gritty, mean, decent defensively. Paired with niedermayer a lot of the time and puts up about 30 pts.

colorado- ryan wilson- imo the western version of johnny boychuk. Big, mean, fights, hits, and is actually pretty decent defensively for a rookie.
making peanuts i think.

atl- tobias enstrom - already a very good dman. 1 of the best offensive dman, and is a true pp qb (something we don't have). So will take a lot to acquire, but signed at 3 mill +

nyi - travis hamonic - started noticing him at the WJC. Was very good defensively. Heard he had a killer year in junior. Probably will be very hard to acquire, but we also have some big named prospect to offer.

phoenix- sami lepisto- From what i have seen, hes as solid defensively as michalek ( pretty close anyways).
Too lazy to check his salary , but i would assume its cheap.

nashville- cody franson- Nashville the dman factory, franson is tall, long reach, has some offensive upside. And as a rookie didn't look out of place in his own zone.

Thats just by looking at a few teams. Theres lot of choices out there.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Moobles

Quote:
That will take some time to really come up with a list of good targets.

Just did a quick peek at capgeek. (just looked a handful of teams)

And some names that come up"

anaheim- wizniewski, 2.75 million, gritty, mean, decent defensively. Paired with niedermayer a lot of the time and puts up about 30 pts.

colorado- ryan wilson- imo the western version of johnny boychuk. Big, mean, fights, hits, and is actually pretty decent defensively for a rookie.
making peanuts i think.

atl- tobias enstrom - already a very good dman. 1 of the best offensive dman, and is a true pp qb (something we don't have). So will take a lot to acquire, but signed at 3 mill +

nyi - travis hamonic - started noticing him at the WJC. Was very good defensively. Heard he had a killer year in junior. Probably will be very hard to acquire, but we also have some big named prospect to offer.

phoenix- sami lepisto- From what i have seen, hes as solid defensively as michalek ( pretty close anyways).
Too lazy to check his salary , but i would assume its cheap.

nashville- cody franson- Nashville the dman factory, franson is tall, long reach, has some offensive upside. And as a rookie didn't look out of place in his own zone.

Thats just by looking at a few teams. Theres lot of choices out there.
All of those d-men are likely staying on their teams. The most moveable of them is like Wiz. Enstrom is probably the best of the bunch, a lot like Edler, but unlikely to get moved because him and Bogosian are both Atlanta's future D.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Andy Strickland:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16251

I'm assuming it was for a conditional pick contingent on Ryder signing.
Other than Strickland who is an Eklundite, who else has ever confirmed that? I give Strickland no credit, he is clueless.

Given Strickland's flame out during the Cup finals in 2009 when he reported as fact the trade of Chris Pronger to LA for Jack Johnson and the 5th Overall Pick.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...-Kings/5/21535

Both managers laughed heartily at the idea during the Cup play-offs when interviewed on HNIC and much merriment and mirth ensued.

As Eric Duhatschek wrote at the time:
Quote:
The official word from Ducks’ GM Bob Murray, in a short but pointed e-mail note, is that it did not happen. In fact, Murray texted back a NO (caps his), when asked if there was any truth to the report.

Certainly, there can be no official deal anyway between teams until the Stanley Cup is won tonight. The roster freeze that goes into effect at the NHL trade deadline remains in place until the season is over – for purposes of fairness, more than anything else. If Detroit and Pittsburgh can’t do deals, no one else can either.
Before I gave it any credence it would have to come from someone other than Strickland.

Given the hockey mad media in Vancouver who report on every piece of hockey minutiae real and imagined in this town, how do you suppose that one slipped by?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote