HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Volchenkov's rights to the Canucks for Bernier, 4th

Old
06-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Can anyone name the last NHL regular who was traded (or in a package) for the negotiating rights for a soon to be UFA?

I can't remember even one- but that's not saying it hasn't happened. If nobody else can though.... then i'm sure this is pure bull-****. (I'm pretty sure already!)

Didn't Gillis once say "I don't like trading players" or something close to that? ...and that's a guy who will trade one of his regulars, a guy he spent a 2cnd + 3rd rounder on as one of his first Gm deals, for the rights to "talk" to another player???

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY14O4 View Post
Trust me, you want Volchenkov. Hes a defensive as u can get.
Im gonna miss him in Ottawa, hes worth 5milish but sens dont got the room. =(
Very true
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
***** Yeah! This is arguably the best defensive defenceman in the league. There is no one in the league that can block shots and hit at a consistent pace like Volchenkov. In the playoffs, he blocked 32 shots in 6 games; that is an insane pace.

If true, this is like killing two birds with one stone-- acquiring a true defensive stalwart and getting rid of excess garbage(Bernier)
good way to put it, its exciting to think about Volchenkov in a Canucks uni, and would help allow Ehrhoff/Edler concentrate more on the offense.

However the team would need a ironman 5th/6th type dmen that can log various amounts of minutes IF/When Volchenkov/Salo get injured.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
What if he didnt sign with us?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Horrorshow

wasn't this put to bed on the main boards as BS? I mean, besides it being completely ridiculous and unbelievable

Horrorshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:09 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
All of those d-men are likely staying on their teams. The most moveable of them is like Wiz. Enstrom is probably the best of the bunch, a lot like Edler, but unlikely to get moved because him and Bogosian are both Atlanta's future D.
well if you want to acquire something good, chances are they are liked by their team as well.

To expect the canucks to get a top dman without overpaying big the on free agent market or make a tough trade is not being realistic.

This year the free agent crop is not worth it to overpay.

Gms are paid to be creative. Look ay what chicago did with serious cap issues. Most didn't think they could get the return they did today.
Those are the type of deals that make teams better. Gillis needs to make a couple more of those deals and bolster our defense.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Edler Revived

having read the first 20 posts and the last 20 posts, been at half the canucks home games last year and watched most:

Bernier was improving before he got injured and remember, he was getting used to his new body. His finish has been disappointing, but I beleive he will become a force.

He hits regularly, and he is very committed to improving his game. It will pay off for someone within the next 2 seasons. He'll be a 20 goal, lead your team in hits forward in someone's lineup for a long time. Certainly not a throw away or a salary dump.

He'll be good value at 1.8-2.5 Mil player unless he gets hot and pops 25-33 goals which is still possible.

If Gillis is confident he'd be happy with the Cap results of signing Volchenkov for 3-4 years then giving ups Bernier's assets which are not a throw in to gain backend shut down, hitting, shot blocking and durability, is a good move.

As others have said, you have to give up something to get something.

Also, We have more forward assets than defensive assets in the organization. This would be a good move organizationally (assuming Gillis is confident he understands what it will take to sign him, and that it fits into his long term cap vision for the organization)

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
finn

I'd rather re-sign Mitchell for significantly less than Volchenkov.

With Mitchell we know what we have (which is substantial). Willie's a less physical player (only by degree), but a decent puck mover, reliable, local, and as we saw this year in the playoffs, pretty important to the Canucks D.

I bet he could be had for just over $4m in a 4 year deal.

finn

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
The Big Foot

I don't believe anything I hear coming out of Ottawa, is there anyone less credible than Bruce Garrioch? You know you're an idiot when you make the Vancouver media look competent and reliable by comparision.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Changed to speculation as the source is in question.

IF this were true, I wouldn't be a fan. If Volchenkov is someone the Canucks really want(and given his injury history, I'd be wondering why) they should wait until July 1st rather than give up a 25-year-old player plus a draft pick just for the rights to talk to him exclusively for a few days.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
ttam103

We might have permission to speak with his agent?

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I think Bernier has the potential to become our Dustin Byfuglien when we make a run for the cup. Volchenkov is too high risk, and we can sign someone who does nearly as much as he does for almost half the price in Mitchell.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I'd rather re-sign Mitchell for significantly less than Volchenkov.

With Mitchell we know what we have (which is substantial). Willie's a less physical player (only by degree), but a decent puck mover, reliable, local, and as we saw this year in the playoffs, pretty important to the Canucks D.

I bet he could be had for just over $4m in a 4 year deal.

finn
I too would rather see the Canucks sign Mitchell...but not a 4 year deal and certainly not for $4mm per.

I think if we can sign Willie for ~$3mm per on a two year deal, it’s good value. Anything higher and/or longer...I become disinterested fairly quickly.

The idea that we’re going to trade Bernier and a pick for Volchenkov’s rights are downright ****ing ludicrous and anyone that: a) thinks it’s going to happen or b) wants it to happen are insane…..IMO.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
I too would rather see the Canucks sign Mitchell...but not a 4 year deal and certainly not for $4mm per.

I think if we can sign Willie for ~$3mm per on a two year deal, it’s good value. Anything higher and/or longer...I become disinterested fairly quickly.

The idea that we’re going to trade Bernier and a pick for Volchenkov’s rights are downright ****ing ludicrous and anyone that: a) thinks it’s going to happen or b) wants it to happen are insane…..IMO.
I can't see Mitchell signing a 2 year deal. That would take him into the 35+ age range which would mean the next contract he signs after that would count towards the team's cap even if he retires (thus hurting his market value).

If Mitchell signs a short term deal, it will almost surely be a 1 year deal to prove his health which would lead to a longer term deal a year from now where he'd still be under 35 years of age.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

I think this will be the sticking point with Mitchell. I think he will absolutely shun a bonus laden contract unless it's all he can get. He's in his 30s now, and the next deal he signs could be his last. He wants some form of security. I'm thinking multi-year, somewhere between $2.5 and $4.5m, be it with us or another team. And I do think someone will give that to him.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
We might have permission to speak with his agent?
Speaking with his agent (about Volchenkov) is the same as speaking to the player. Without Ottawa's permission it would be tampering.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
BC Ben

I'd love Volchenkov here, but not at the expense of anything; picks, players or prospects... Just wait until July 1st and make your play - if it works, it works, if not, then move on...

I'd prefer Paul Martin, due in fact to his two-way play. He is solid, if unspectacular, in all three zones, can do all the little things and is a very good lockerroom guy. I think the money would be better spent here.

Only a little more waiting and we have the Entry Draft, then FA!!

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:21 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I think this will be the sticking point with Mitchell. I think he will absolutely shun a bonus laden contract unless it's all he can get. He's in his 30s now, and the next deal he signs could be his last. He wants some form of security. I'm thinking multi-year, somewhere between $2.5 and $4.5m, be it with us or another team. And I do think someone will give that to him.
Mitchell's concussion issues scare me, it's been noted that with each concussion, it gets easier to get the next one with increasing severity (something about the "padding" of the brain getting thinner each time, I'm probably not explaining it right but the issue is that he's got to be seen as damaged goods).

I normally would want us to walk and find other options, but with our options starting to shrink, I've now changed to wanting to sign him, if for no other reason than insurance in case we can't get anyone better.

$4 million on a 4-year deal is out the window for me.

Preference would be a one-year bonus laden deal, that to me is an automatic "yes" at $2.5-3 million-ish.

What makes me hem and haw is a long-term, low cap deal, he gets his security, we get our cap discount: $4-3-2 for a cap hit of $2.6-ish.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post

What makes me hem and haw is a long-term, low cap deal, he gets his security, we get our cap discount: $4-3-2 for a cap hit of $2.6-ish.
That would be insane. Any long term deal for Mitchell would be a huge mistake (unless he took a huge pay cut) for the reasons you noted: he's old and damaged. Time to move on along with Salo next year.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Hal 9000*

We don't need Bernier. How many years have people been touting him as a power forward? Well, it's simply not gonna happen. We should get what we can get for Bernier, bring up some younger guys who actually do have potential and move on.

None of this means we would be certain to land Volchenkov, but at the very least, it would clear up cap space for another move.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:31 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY14O4 View Post
Trust me, you want Volchenkov. Hes a defensive as u can get.

Im gonna miss him in Ottawa, hes worth 5milish but sens dont got the room. =(
Indeed, he seems to be still underrated. He is a BEAST physically and in his own zone. If we could get him at 4.5-4.75 id be thrilled.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Indeed, he seems to be still underrated. He is a BEAST physically and in his own zone. If we could get him at 4.5-4.75 id be thrilled.
I wouldn't. That too much for a defensive defenseman that's injury prone.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:47 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
I wouldn't. That too much for a defensive defenseman that's injury prone.
He is one of the best in the world at his craft (physical defensive hockey), you gotta pay up if you want it on your roster.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:54 AM
serge2k

That would be an incredibly stupid move.

Giving up a roster player for the rights to a dman who is going to want more than he's worth... GREAT PLAN!

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:58 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

I wouldn't mind the deal and I definately wouldn't mind Volchenkov replacing Mitchell.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Scurr

I can't helped but be shocked at the love for defensive defenseman. Who was the last one making 4+m to play for a stanley cup winner? adam foot?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote