HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Peters to back up Ward

Old
06-11-2010, 11:26 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Peters to back up Ward

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...o-back-up-ward

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that a decision has been made and that the team will go with Justin Peters as the backup to Cam Ward in goal next season.

Rutherford had said either Peters, 23, or veteran Manny Legace would be No. 2 goaltender and that the team would not look to sign or trade for anyone else.

"We've told Manny's agent that we will go with Justin," Rutherford said. "It's the right time for Justin in the process of his development. He improved so much last season and dominated in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats).

huge step in the youth movement IMO. Hopefully Legace can land on his feet somewhere, there are a few teams that could really use a decent goalie that can provide 25+ games a season, including San Jose and Philly.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

vCash: 500
great news!
i really liked peters and his 'go for broke' style when he had a chance in the net.
he should be a more than adequate fill in for cam, provided our no. 1 goalie stays healthy...

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

I think Manny showed he's still got something in the tank. Hopefully he'll find a good home somewhere.

I remember seeing him play a few games with the Richmond Renegades in the 96-97 season...waayyyyy back when. The other goalie on that team? Tripp Tracy.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Chrispy

I could see the Rangers for Legace. I don't think he'll look for a huge raise, and the Rangers need a better backup with the news that Lundqvist played through a knee injury and is hoping rest will cure it before the fall. Philadelphia makes a lot of sense as well.

I agree this is the right move. I think the Pogge acquisition was the final step in solidifying Peters as the NHL backup. This lets Peters develop in the NHL and leaves 2 AHL slots for Murphy and Pogge.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Manny's one of the better personalities in the league. I feel for him that he's been kicked around so many teams lately, but this was just not the right time or place.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Terrible terrible decision. If Ward goes down, the season is over again. I am not confident in Peters as a backup at all. He was good in his first few games then took a nosedive.

Prove me wrong though.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Chrispy

If Legace is the starting goalie because Ward goes down, the season is over again.
Legace had some great games, but there were quite a few nights he was awful, to quote Legace himself. If Ward is injured for a long period, I think there will be another goaltender waiting for an opportunity like Legace was this year.

Both Legace and Peters ended up at .900 on the season with Legace 2.89 GAA, Peters 2.83 GAA.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Terrible terrible decision. If Ward goes down, the season is over again. I am not confident in Peters as a backup at all. He was good in his first few games then took a nosedive.

Prove me wrong though.
If Ward goes down with Legace as the #2, you can count the season on being over. Legace wasn't that much better than Peters. Unless we bring in another #1 goalie and have a 1a, 1b type situation, no matter who the #2 is, if Cam goes down we are screwed.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:

Prove me wrong though.
This

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

I don't have a problem with this, but we better hope that Cam stays healthy.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'd feel much better with Legace as a #2 this upcoming season than Peters.

But whatever. It'll likely be another situation where we overplay Ward throughout the season anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Meh...I don't feel any more or less comfortable with Legacy vs. Peters.

First off, I don't think the Canes will be that competitive this year anyhow due to the transition (maybe scrape into the 8th seed). I could be proven wrong because if you get a healthy team, a hot Cam Ward and the "playoff version" of Eric Staal, anything can happen (as they've shown before). That said, if Ward goes down for any period of time, Legacy vs. Peters really won't matter that much.

The good part about this move is that a) it gives Murphy (and I guess Pogge) a chance in the AHL and b) we'll may have a feel by the end of this year if Peters can cut it as an NHL goalie.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I immensely disagree on Legace vs. Peters being no difference. Peters played a grand total of 9 games here last year and totally fell apart in his last few. Legace played 28 and was generally solid after the first couple weeks. And I also disagree that this is a throwaway year. I hate that mindset anyway. Every team should have the mindset that they're going to compete every year. It's entirely possible to turn a poor team around in one year.

For the record, I also hated the similar decision in 05/06.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
I immensely disagree on Legace vs. Peters being no difference. Peters played a grand total of 9 games here last year and totally fell apart in his last few. Legace played 28 and was generally solid after the first couple weeks. And I also disagree that this is a throwaway year. I hate that mindset anyway. Every team should have the mindset that they're going to compete every year. It's entirely possible to turn a poor team around in one year.

I'm sure management is hoping Peters will get better too - which isn't entirely inconceivable for a 23 year old goalie.

It's the right decision, and solves the goalie logjam in Charlotte next season.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Odd how our conventional wisdom for forwards this upcoming year is, "let the kids play regardless and see what we have", but the same ideology for goaltenders is a horrible idea and we should retain the 38 year old career journeyman and create a terrible log jam in Charlotte.

Peters had a tremendous run up here last year. Just about on the same level as Legace. It will be great to see him for a full year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:38 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:

I loved Legace here, but with Pogge, Peters and Murphy all AHL caliber tendys, it would really complicate things if we brought him back. Murphy is the odd man out, and probably has the highest ceiling of all 3. Pogge played some of his best hockey last year, and if he continues the trend, could challenge Peters for the backup job if he's slipping. Plus, Peters played well in the AHL playoffs until we hit the offensive juggernaut Bears. He's probably a more capable clutch goalie than Legace, who has an awful history of falling apart when it counts.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I loved Legace here, but with Pogge, Peters and Murphy all AHL caliber tendys, it would really complicate things if we brought him back. Murphy is the odd man out, and probably has the highest ceiling of all 3. Pogge played some of his best hockey last year, and if he continues the trend, could challenge Peters for the backup job if he's slipping. Plus, Peters played well in the AHL playoffs until we hit the offensive juggernaut Bears. He's probably a more capable clutch goalie than Legace, who has an awful history of falling apart when it counts.
He was terrible against said Bears though...

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

So we are making NHL decisions based on AHL logjams??? In general that is a terrrible idea.....unless you have already written off next season.

Im just asking but would trading Peters for an asset and resigning Manny be a better idea? Maybe JR shopped Peters already and didnt get anything he liked so decided to keep him. Peters has 2 seasons to play well enough to make himself trade bait or Murphy is going to make him extinct in Carolina.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I immensely disagree on Legace vs. Peters being no difference. Peters played a grand total of 9 games here last year and totally fell apart in his last few. Legace played 28 and was generally solid after the first couple weeks.
I understand that. My point is more that if we lose Ward and need a backup for 30 games...we're screwed. If we need a backup to spell Ward for a few games here and there, I really am not worried if it is Legace or Peters. If we lose Ward for an extended period, the team is screwed anyhow. I do agree that Legace was better than Peters last year and gave the Canes a better chance to win.

Quote:
And I also disagree that this is a throwaway year. I hate that mindset anyway. Every team should have the mindset that they're going to compete every year. It's entirely possible to turn a poor team around in one year.
I don't think it is a throw-away year.....nor do I think the team has a mindset that they can't compete. But I am also being realistic in my expectations. You can hate the "mind-set" all you want, but I see nothing wrong with a fan (me) making what I think is a realistic assessment of the team based on the talent that has been assembled. It in no way means the team themselves feel that way..but I'm not about to say "rah rah..we're going to the playoffs" when I deep down don't think they are. I also don't think the Canes are making this move because they think it is a throw-away year. They think that this is in the best interest of the organization. Maybe it will hurt some short term, but JR obviously feels the short term pain is worth the long term gain.

I just don't see the Canes being overly competitive this year vs. other teams in the east. As I said, anything can happen if they stay healthy and Ward and Staal have huge years, but I'm not optimistic. Doesn't mean I want them to "throw-away" the season. It also doesn't mean that they (as players) don't think they can compete. I just don't see it. I hope they prove me wrong and you can remind me of this so I can eat some crow at the end of next year.

Old
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Im just asking but would trading Peters for an asset and resigning Manny be a better idea? Maybe JR shopped Peters already and didnt get anything he liked so decided to keep him. Peters has 2 seasons to play well enough to make himself trade bait or Murphy is going to make him extinct in Carolina.
I have rarely seen "prospect" goalies get much in return no matter what. Just don't see it happening. I agree though..it's now or never for Peters.

Old
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
totalkev

Quote:

Prove me wrong though.
If "fill in the blank" is our backup goalie, and Ward goes down, the season is over again. Who are we supposed to get for a backup, Henrik Lundqvist? It's backup goalie for heaven's sake. There's not a team in the league that's not hosed if their No. 1 goes down.

Where did we find Legace when we needed him? Playing on an AHL contract, that's right. If we need another veteran at some point next year, I'm sure we'll get plenty of applications for the position, maybe even Manny (since I'm fairly certain he's not going to end up starting for the Red Wings since we let him go).

Signing Legace just makes no sense. We're no better with him than without him. We have an internal solution. And he's *easily* replaceable.

Baby steps, JR. You can do this.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Odd how our conventional wisdom for forwards this upcoming year is, "let the kids play regardless and see what we have", but the same ideology for goaltenders is a horrible idea and we should retain the 38 year old career journeyman and create a terrible log jam in Charlotte.

Peters had a tremendous run up here last year. Just about on the same level as Legace. It will be great to see him for a full year.
That is why I think one more AHL year is needed... He made great strides and now he's going to play a grand total of about 18-24 games if Ward is healthy... Not good

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:52 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I've been on board with the youth movement since it started last season, so I don't have a problem with this decision. Peters has earned this opportunity at an extended stay in the NHL.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I've been on board with the youth movement since it started last season, so I don't have a problem with this decision. Peters has earned this opportunity at an extended stay in the NHL.
This. And it can't hurt having Peters work with Barrasso on a daily basis. We've seen the strides he's done with Cam, I can't sit here and say Peters being up here now over next year is really going to deter his development. He's done all about he can at the AHL level.

I wasn't on these boards the summer of 2006, so how many hated the idea of Cam Ward coming in and being back up?

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Good news and that's no disrespect to Manny who was the consummate back up while here. Peters did look like a fish out of water at times (which is to expected from a young rookie netminder), but he has done everything he has had to at the minor league level and has earned his spot to back up Ward.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote