Notices

Kane, Buff, Aliu all in Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 09:11 AM
68Forever

vCash: 500
Kane, Buff, Aliu all in Atlanta

Do you think the fact that Atlanta now has important three players of African American Decent makes them more popular of a team in the ATL?

Old
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

No, like all other major metro areas the lions share of the residents in the area are white.

If these kids make the Thrashers a better team, that will make the team more popular.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
flerd_trandle

I can certainly see Kane, Buff, and Oduya used in an ad campaign.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
I can certainly see Kane, Buff, and Oduya used in an ad campaign.
Most certainly Kane and Buff. They are both charismatic. And North American. People will be able to understand them where they've never been able to understand Kovalchuk, Hossa, Lehtonen, or that moron Heatley in the past.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:39 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

No. We are as popular as we were yesterday.

Winning makes a team more popular.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
No, like all other major metro areas the lions share of the residents in the area are white.
Are you talking about the northside? You must be, because within the city limits, the lion's share are not white. The southside is becoming the same way as well, although there's still a white majority. There was even a story in the paper a couple weeks ago about how whites are now the "minority majority" in Gwinnett county.

The world doesn't revolve around north Fulton and Cobb. If marketed properly, the Thrashers could definitely use players like Buff, Kane, Oduya, and Aliu to generate interest in hockey in non-whites. It's been an interest I've observed, as many times in the past I've talked about the games with black fans on MARTA on my way home. One group of fans last year said they became interested after they heard "the team drafted a black guy" (talking about Kane, obviously).

The team needs to win to generate support and popularity, but it doesn't hurt to build those in-roads to the black community as well. Why not get all the citizens of Atlanta interested in hockey, after all? Now that we have these players, we need proper marketing.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Payinthedues

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Absolutely wrong. The breakdown for the Atlanta metro area is roughly 62% black, 31% white and 5% latino.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I think the better PR is the announcement of getting 3 players from a team who just won a Stanley Cup 2 weeks ago.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Are you talking about the northside? You must be, because within the city limits, the lion's share are not white. The southside is becoming the same way as well, although there's still a white majority. There was even a story in the paper a couple weeks ago about how whites are now the "minority majority" in Gwinnett county.
This is correct. According to data available from the 2000 Census, the city of Atlanta is 61.4% African American.

Quote:
we need proper marketing.
This is key. The franchise needs to sell tickets. They should market themselves to as many different demographics as possible.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
AintLifeGrand

I can definitely seeing it resonating with the black population, although I would say it will probably attract more interest from whites who had a previously casual impression of the Thrashers.

My phone was blowing up last night from most of my friends who are big Braves or Falcons fans that wanted to know when we could go see Byfuglien in action.

I think the Thrashers will become one of the most popular and publicized teams in the NHL if Aliu, Byfuglien, and Kane all are productive.

Old
06-24-2010, 10:53 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I think the Thrashers will become one of the most popular and publicized teams in the NHL if Aliu, Byfuglien, and Kane all are productive.
I think it'll take a lot of time for the Thrashers to become a popular NHL team; however, I do think they will be one of the more talked about teams in NHL circles. Kane definitely has the tools to be productive. As long as Byfuglien is used and motivated properly, he too has the potential to put up some good numbers. If not, at least he can make someone hurt in places they didn't think had nerve endings.

Aliu is a player I don't know a lot about, but he sounds like a high risk, high reward player. I hope that "high reward" part comes true.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:38 AM

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
No. We are as popular as we were yesterday.

Winning makes a team more popular.
Yes.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Shameus

OK, I am honestly tired of all of this talk about race. Do the Atlanta Hawks need to sign some more white players to get more of the Caucasian population to support the team. Give me a break. Win and the team will become more popular. Does having a player fans can identify help, who knows. Do we have numbers that show that there were more fans of African decent at Thrashers games last season with Kane on the team? I don't know of any such proof. There were so many of these posts yesterday on the main boards and I am just tired of it. We added some hockey players. I agree that the team will probably get more positive press by introducing them as having Stanley Cup rings then they will if they introduce them with race anywhere in the release. Win and get more fans, that is a proven way to increase the teams popularity and fan base.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Do the Atlanta Hawks need to sign some more white players to get more of the Caucasian population to support the team.
Irrelevant. Basketball has a ton of support from all races and nationalities. Hockey does not.

This was a bad example.

There are several options here for marketing the Thrashers to the local populace. Race, whether anyone likes it or not, is one of those options. To the average person, it's also the most visually obvious.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Irrelevant. Basketball has a ton of support from all races and nationalities. Hockey does not.

This was a bad example.

There are several options here for marketing the Thrashers to the local populace. Race, whether anyone likes it or not, is one of those options. To the average person, it's also the most visually obvious.
How is this a bad example. The two teams are tied at the hip. Same owners, same arena. Used to have the same problem at drawing fans. The difference was the Hawks started winning, their attendance went up. It had nothing to do with the color of skin of any of their players. Why should it matter then about the color of skin of a Thrashers player?

Old
06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
How is this a bad example. The two teams are tied at the hip. Same owners, same arena. Used to have the same problem at drawing fans. The difference was the Hawks started winning, their attendance went up. It had nothing to do with the color of skin of any of their players. Why should it matter then about the color of skin of a Thrashers player?
Attendance went up. I'm referring more to the overall popularity of the sport in this city. A city made up of a little more than 61% African Americans.

Basketball has always been popular. Thusly, using basketball as an example makes about as much sense as using the ocean's tide to calculate the distance between Calcutta and Tromsų.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
For a second when I read this thread title I thought that because of some freak trading deal gone horribly wrong...Patrick Kane became a Thrasher.

But then I remembered that Evander fellow.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
Do you think the fact that Atlanta now has important three players of African American Decent makes them more popular of a team in the ATL?
Byfuglien is our only player of "African American" descent. The other guys aren't American. Why is it such a big deal to everyone except Atlantans???? We don't root for skin color at Philips Arena, we cheer for the blue or the ugly maroon laundry.

but thanks for bringing up the fact once again, that the rest of the league's fans still have a problem, facination, whatever, with the issue of color. PS....does anyone ask Columbus fans about their facination with Civil War relics?

Old
06-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Attendance went up. I'm referring more to the overall popularity of the sport in this city. A city made up of a little more than 61% African Americans.

Basketball has always been popular. Thusly, using basketball as an example makes about as much sense as using the ocean's tide to calculate the distance between Calcutta and Tromsų.
I think they are the perfect example. Basketball's largest fan demographic is African Americans. The same could be said for the Hawks. Hockey's largest fan demographic is Caucasian. The same can be made out for the Thrashers. Saying that the Thrashers adding players of African decent to add to their fan base of people of African decent is the equivalent of the Hawks needing to add Caucasian players to increase their Caucasian fan base.

I am not saying that basketball does not have "white" fans and that hockey doesn't have "black" fans. I am saying that making a statement about the race of Atlanta's incoming players is the equivalent of the paragraph above.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
I think they are the perfect example.
Then we ought to stop here, and agree to disagree, because we're not winning each other over.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:13 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

No? Winning is the only way to make the team more popular. And the owners and staff show that they are dedicated to it.

Don't bring race into the picture because it's a hockey team in Atlanta. If all 3 players were on Montreal would this be talked about? No.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Then we ought to stop here, and agree to disagree, because we're not winning each other over.
Fair enough

Old
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
No? Winning is the only way to make the team more popular.
Obviously, winning is the prime way to garner popularity. However, there's also marketability. I know a bit about marketing.

I'll just leave it at that, as per my prior post in this thread.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
We also have Anthony Stewart in the system and drafted Jordan Samuel-Thomas last year who just had a great freshman season for Bowling Green

Old
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Kane should be marketed but not because he is black.

He is probably the VERY main piece of the future right now with a ton of other pieces.

Closed Thread