HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor: L.A. Has Acquired Or Are Close To Acquiring Kovalchuk's Rights

Old
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Kingz4life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
If, the Devils feel like they are not going to be able to lock up Kovalchuk within the next week, why wouldn't they try to get a draft pick out of it?

From a Kings standpoint, there is no reason not to try and see if you can get a deal done with the guy. At the very least you show how interested you are. The Devils already did that and it hasn't worked yet. It may pay off July 1st but we will see.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:15 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Yeah he 2 for 2489. He comes up with 5 or 6 different rumors for each player and then when one of them actually happens, he looks like he was right.....give me a break. Eklund is a fraud in every sense of the word. Maybe if Eklund actually tried to get a trade or deal correct instead of focusing on getting hits for his website, then maybe people would believe him and go to his site even more.
Yeah, he may go 2 for 2489, and someone else may go 2 for 5, but what is wrong with that?

If he hears something, regardless of the credibility of the source, he posts it. I hate seeing all the 29873562 threads on here, but all he is doing is posting what he hears. Its called RUMORS. By definition, they are not credible. I hate Eklund as much as the next guy, but come on. Rumors are rumors no matter who posts them.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
MauDevils

All the years I've heard Eklund trashing on these boards, the guy gets one right and now people are coming out of the woodworks to defend him.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
symbology

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
No my comment had nothing to do with the timing. Just that he wouldn't want to sit down with 1 team when he's far and away the best FA available, and he can listen to all 30 offers sent his way in a week from now.
Well, I guess my comment had nothing to do with timing either.

Why would Bouwmeester have talks with just one team (Calgary) when all he had to do was wait another single day and he could have listened to all 30 offers?

I am not saying that this will happen. I just don't see how people can say that it won't or does not make sense.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Okay, thanks Lou.
It's not Lou's MO. He will not trade away Kovalchuk's rights no matter how much you want him to.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
If kovalchuk was worried about the money don't you think he would've taken that INSANE contract to play in the KHL?
Atlanta also offered him a max contract and said no.

The dude wants to win.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
RANDOMH3RO

If the Devils don't re sign, I hope he goes to L.A. I don't have favourites outside of the Devils, but I have always liked the Kings. Kovy would be a great fit there on a team who's future is definitely going waaay up.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:41 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
It's not Lou's MO. He will not trade away Kovalchuk's rights no matter how much you want him to.
I don't pretend to know your GM better than you or other NJ fans but I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to get something for nothing if he knows Kovy won't sign before July 1st?

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:48 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Atlanta also offered him a max contract and said no.

The dude wants to win.
Not to be a stickler, but they didn't offer him the max contract.

The second phrase, however, is true.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Again, you're not pointing out the real situation. It's far more likely a GM will not pay what Lou wants for his rights. That's why it won't happen.

Should he deal them, though? Hell yes.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I don't pretend to know your GM better than you or other NJ fans but I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to get something for nothing if he knows Kovy won't sign before July 1st?
You're looking for a logical response that isn't there.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Mike The Franchise

If a trade doesn't get announced by the start of the draft tommarow then Eklund was just messing with us.

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Jerzey Devil

I almost want the trade to happen. This is because I think that Kovy will end in either LA or NJ. If his rights are traded to LA and LA is unable to reach a deal with him by July 1st I'd feel a little better about his chances of signing in NJ.

If he accepts the LA offer than he quite clearly never intended to stay in Jersey and Lou can figure something else out.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 05:46 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

The ultimate would be Kovy waits until July 1 and goes back to Atlanta where the cap space is still there. Imagine:

Kovalchuk for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, and, ..... Kovalchuk.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Lou won't trade his rights.
When Vinnie speaks, HF listens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
The ultimate would be Kovy waits until July 1 and goes back to Atlanta where the cap space is still there. Imagine:

Kovalchuk for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, and, ..... Kovalchuk.

No disrespect to Atlanta fans but the joke would be on him. That is quite a star studded cast they have put together in his absence. Don't get me wrong, I think they've done well with what they got for him at this point but I'd have to think that list of players does nothing for Kovalchuk.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

No disrespect to Atlanta fans but the joke would be on him. That is quite a star studded cast they have put together in his absence. Don't get me wrong, I think they've done well with what they got for him at this point but I'd have to think that list of players does nothing for Kovalchuk.
So..filling gaping holes in a roster, where he can shine regardless of who is on the roster and who he plays with. ANd adding in grit, toughness, scoring, defensive play, and playoff experiance and depth..is nothing?

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
It's not unusual, last year at the draft Hossa was traded to the Kings for a Conditional 3rd, he didn't sign with them so they really lost nothing.
Really? I never actually heard about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Why aren't they in on the bidding at present? They have his rights.

Kovy knows what he can get and which teams are interested the most. His agent knows what teams can offer and what they can't.

Money talks and if NJ had the money and was the place he wanted to play, he wouldn't wait until July 1st.

He wants to pick where he winds up playing. Only reason NJ can be considered an option is because he was traded there. I have a hard time imagining people saying that NJ would be a big target for Kovalchuk if he hadn't been traded there...especially after the Arnott trade and salary it brought back.
I agree. I don't think Kovalchuk will be back. I think New Jersey can either resign one of him or Paul Martin; I don't think they can afford to resign both, even if they move another significant player. If I were Lou, I'd go with resigning Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
i agree with Bigking i think they will announce this to us at the start of the draft to start the blood boiling and then a later trade to move up to pick the local kid EE and then hanging out to boo the ducks pick, should be a good night
They'll also have a surprise ceremony to retire Rob Blake's number. It'll be a great night.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
Well, I guess my comment had nothing to do with timing either.

Why would Bouwmeester have talks with just one team (Calgary) when all he had to do was wait another single day and he could have listened to all 30 offers?

I am not saying that this will happen. I just don't see how people can say that it won't or does not make sense.
Well, Bouw was signed for a pretty penny. I think that with Bouw they wanted to work out a long term deal and have it in place. Also Bouw is a defenceman and if I recall that was what a lot of teams were after him during that FA season (as they usually are). Can I same be said about Kovy? A lot of teams that can afford him are not contenders, and if that's what he is wanting plus the dough then to me there is no sense.

I'm not saying you think it'll happen either. I'm not saying it shouldn't because LA has the assets. Maybe I'm just a little stingy when it comes to giving up picks. I'm not saying it won't happen, in fact the opposite. I just don't think that it should happen, if there's a high chance of already getting him. I can see the logic of trading for him if you aren't totally sure with what he wants to do and/or want to work on a long-term deal without any interference. But again, you'll find out by July 1, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post

Let's say St. Louis (who have an internal cap but also were the mystery team for Kovy in Feb.) makes an offer similar to that of what LA would potentially make, but John Davidson gets on the phone with Kovalchuk first.

Davidson is one hell of a salesman and let's say he does the best sales job of his life and gets Kovalchuk sold on St. Louis. He sells him on the city, on contract, but most importantly he sells the point that the Blue are turning the corner into a SC contender.

JD hammers home that they are committed to winning now and have demonstrated so by acquiring Halak, have a plethora of young stallions (similar to LA) like Ohsie, Berglund, Johnson, Backes, Perron, and Pietrangelo, and Davidson really makes Ilya feel like he's the straw that stirs the drink. Ilya starts feeling reaaly really good about the Blues direction and how he could be a part of their rise to the top.

At that point LA would have wished they had tried to acquire his negotiation rights so they could have a full week to sell everything Los Angeles to Ilya and close the deal because on July 1 I imagine offers can come from everywhere and anywhere and whoever gives Ilya the best impression that they are committed to him and committed to winning will get his services.
It's a solid point. I totally understand where you are coming from. Now I'm going to sway a little from your scenario and pose the question: Do you think that a team will come in and swoop Kovy's rights? Other than LA who else will feel they have the assets to potentially throw away on Kovy? Back to your scenario, St. Louis is a good example because they showed their are committed to this season by dealing for Halak. However, with that said, isn't it fair to say LA is slightly more along in their rebuilding process than St. Louis. Does a team like St. Louis really feel that Kovy will be not only the right fit but to push them over the top? I'm not sure. I suppose I just feel that LA is the most logical choice at this point. There's always a chance during FA time that something weird will happen yet I just feel the Kovalchuk is sort of a unique situation. It's similar to Hossa last year in many ways, yet I feel there are two many questions marks. Is it money or a slight pay cut and winning?

As for the person who said if it was just money, he would've stayed in Atlanta. This is somewhat true, and somewhat not. If it was just about the money -- KHL. If it's about playing in the NHL + just money, sometimes a players just wants a refresh start. With all that said, I don't believe it's just the money. So with that logic isn't LA already a strong possibility? If I'm wrong and it's about the money, he's gonna want to test FA anyways. I just feel it's pointless to give up an asset for what, less than a week of negotiating rights.

Last edited by Dave Karp: 06-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Eklund has been on a recent hot streak. Thoughts on this?
What's his hot streak up to? 1

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
It did, though there never was an official trade. The Kings got permission to talk to Hossa at the draft and if a deal would have been worked out, the Kings would trade a 3rd for him.

Here are the quotes, straight from the mouth of Dean Lombardi:
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...-1-quotes.html
Right, but it wasn't a trade, so it didn't happen. He said Hossa got traded.

Same thing with Sundin.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
All the years I've heard Eklund trashing on these boards, the guy gets one right and now people are coming out of the woodworks to defend him.
Seriously, it's completely ridiculous.

Hooray the guy got something right yesterday his "right" percentage went up from 1.5% to 1.7%.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
They should. I'm right.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:

Ya, like New Jersey's perfect, star-studded "we need the final piece," eh???

Maybe he needs a team like Pittsburgh offered to Hossa, or maybe like Detroit offered to Hossa? Maybe he needs a star studded salary heaven like New York? I'm sure with all of the playoff and Stanley Cup experience Los Angeles has will really make him swoon! Perhaps a hockey heaven like TORONTO???? No, wait, he needed Ottawa like Heatley did!!!!! Or how about San Jose???

give it a rest. Atlanta is just as good a spot as 29 other cities that are on the outside looking in. Except that we have 1/6 of the current Stanley Cup Champs on our side and that's more than any other team right now. But of course, we have the sucky 1/6th correct?

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

Quote:

Maybe he needs a team like Pittsburgh offered to Hossa, or maybe like Detroit offered to Hossa? Maybe he needs a star studded salary heaven like New York? I'm sure with all of the playoff and Stanley Cup experience Los Angeles has will really make him swoon! Perhaps a hockey heaven like TORONTO???? No, wait, he needed Ottawa like Heatley did!!!!! Or how about San Jose???

give it a rest. Atlanta is just as good a spot as 29 other cities that are on the outside looking in. Except that we have 1/6 of the current Stanley Cup Champs on our side and that's more than any other team right now. But of course, we have the sucky 1/6th correct?
Kovy isn't gonna sign with Atlanta, give it a rest

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:

What the?? your post makes no sense....no sense at all

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote