Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade the trades

Old
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Grade the trades

As the phone lines start heating up, and the deals start flying, I thought it would be worth looking at and evaluating the big trades free from the homerism, vitriol, and sour grapes of the trade forum.

Boston - Florida: Wideman, 15th overall, 3rd in 11 for Horton, Campbell.
I like this deal for both teams, but especially for Boston. It almost seems like cheating to be a playoff team and have the #2 overall pick. That makes the 15th expendable, and you add a nice top 6 wing to play alongside one of your good playmaking centers. Florida gets a decent pick in a deep draft to add to the #3 as they rebuild. Still Boston wins in the big picture.

Chicago - Atlanta: Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager & Aliu for Reasoner, Morin, Crabb, #24 & #54
If the playoffs were Byfuglien's breaking out party, this could be a good deal for Atlanta. Sopel was surprisingly good for the champs as well, so the Thrash get some value. I still like this more from the Hawks side; save 5 million in cap space, which had to happen, and they are trading players at peak value, which is smart. Reasoner is a useful bottom 6 guy. Getting another 1st and 2nd is huge though. Considering that Morin was a 2nd last year, and Leddy a 1st, the Hawks wheelings and dealings starting with the Johnsson trade have effectively infused their system 4 1sts and 3 2nds from the this and last year's drafts, while shaving 8 million in cap space AND maintaining your core. That is damn good asset management.

But the biggest deal no doubt is Staubitz for a 5th rounder, but there's a whole thread for that.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:46 AM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
As the phone lines start heating up, and the deals start flying, I thought it would be worth looking at and evaluating the big trades free from the homerism, vitriol, and sour grapes of the trade forum.

I like this deal for both teams, but especially for Boston. It almost seems like cheating to be a playoff team and have the #2 overall pick. That makes the 15th expendable, and you add a nice top 6 wing to play alongside one of your good playmaking centers. Florida gets a decent pick in a deep draft to add to the #3 as they rebuild. Still Boston wins in the big picture.
I think it's a good trade for both sides, as the Bruins will be adding Seguin or Hall (most likely Seguin), and they get Horton which will help their scoring woes. Florida starts to blow it up again basically, and Horton didn't want to stay, but they will get good players at 3 and 15. They always set themselves up nicely for draft picks, but let's see if they can execute.

Quote:
Chicago - Atlanta: Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager & Aliu for Reasoner, Morin, Crabb, #24 & #54
If the playoffs were Byfuglien's breaking out party, this could be a good deal for Atlanta. Sopel was surprisingly good for the champs as well, so the Thrash get some value. I still like this more from the Hawks side; save 5 million in cap space, which had to happen, and they are trading players at peak value, which is smart. Reasoner is a useful bottom 6 guy. Getting another 1st and 2nd is huge though. Considering that Morin was a 2nd last year, and Leddy a 1st, the Hawks wheelings and dealings starting with the Johnsson trade have effectively infused their system 4 1sts and 3 2nds from the this and last year's drafts, while shaving 8 million in cap space AND maintaining your core. That is damn good asset management.

But the biggest deal no doubt is Staubitz for a 5th rounder, but there's a whole thread for that.
The Thrasers probably need to add some guys that will help them get into the playoffs. The Hawks lose some decent players, but I think they got a great return for their players. They sold high, but we can't say who won it until a couple of years. I still like it for both sides either way. The Hawks know how to manage their assets well, and getting 2 draft picks back and Morin is tough to swallow for the Thrash. It will be interesting to see how Buff does in Atlanta.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

1. Good for both teams IMO. Florida gets a good d-man who wasn't great last season but we know Wideman can do more. Not only that, they get a 15th OV pick and a 3rd. Boston gets a good winger for the team that seemed to be lacking last regular season.

2. Personally, I think its bad for Atlanta. Value wise, its actually not to bad. But the Thrashers just lost their star forward and is Pavelec ready for top minutes? As a Wild fan, remember what happened when we lost Gaborik? We tried to patch that up and that didn't work out. I don't think this is the time Thrashers should be giving up their picks and their good prospect when they just underwent such a change. We will see how they make out this season

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
saywut

Boston - Florida - depends on what Wideman/Horton do this year. Much less pressure on each in their new situations, as Horton is no longer the go-to guy while Wideman won't have the crowd chirping at every mistake he makes. Even trade, though if one hits it off and the other struggles it won't be.

Chicago - Atlanta - Dudley has always been an excellent evaluator of talent, so he must see something in Buff or possibly Eager that I don't. Only time will tell if Dudley made the right decision, whereas Bowman clearly did for Chicago, clearing cap-space and getting quality picks.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Morin = Aliu. Aliu is an intriguing pick though.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:49 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I think I'm in the minority that Atlanta just solidified a play-off spot next season. They were only 5 points away, and with an upgrade in net, they will squeek in as a 6-7-8.

I also thought Atlanta played better without Kovalchuk. They looked like more of a team out there. With their upgrade in coaches and front office, I'm not saying they will be a cup contender, but these moves will make them especially more potent against their division.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:23 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I think I'm in the minority that Atlanta just solidified a play-off spot next season. They were only 5 points away, and with an upgrade in net, they will squeek in as a 6-7-8.

I also thought Atlanta played better without Kovalchuk. They looked like more of a team out there. With their upgrade in coaches and front office, I'm not saying they will be a cup contender, but these moves will make them especially more potent against their division.
Yes! someone's with me in this and Atlanta did not get fleeced.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Yes! someone's with me in this and Atlanta did not get fleeced.
While I don't think they got fleeced, I just don't think it its the right time. They seem to be short on bluechip prospects and have a few young pieces on the roster, and lost their franchise player, very similar to us when we lost Gaborik. I don't think they should be giving away picks and prospects in order to make the playoffs, just to find themselves lacking in prospect a few years after...

Old
06-26-2010, 04:55 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
While I don't think they got fleeced, I just don't think it its the right time. They seem to be short on bluechip prospects and have a few young pieces on the roster, and lost their franchise player, very similar to us when we lost Gaborik. I don't think they should be giving away picks and prospects in order to make the playoffs, just to find themselves lacking in prospect a few years after...
Zach Bogosian and Evander Kane say hello.

Old
06-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Zach Bogosian and Evander Kane say hello.
I dunno, I just find similarities between the Wild at that time and we know what happened afterwards...

I could be very wrong though...

Old
06-26-2010, 05:10 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If the Wild had two players like Zach Bogosian and Evander Kane, things would be a lot different. Plus, you also have to remember that the Thrashers have gained in effect three different first rounders (Vishnevsky, Cormier and now Burmistov) along with Niclas Bergfors in the last year.

Old
06-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
If the Wild had two players like Zach Bogosian and Evander Kane, things would be a lot different. Plus, you also have to remember that the Thrashers have gained in effect three different first rounders (Vishnevsky, Cormier and now Burmistov) along with Niclas Bergfors in the last year.
True, but its not like we were absent of talent either...
I hope your right though...