HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Fraser

Old
09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
Mark Fraser

This is the stud on D that the Leafs were missing for so long. A character guy who will not back down, will "drop em" when needed, and will play solid D for 60 min at both ends of the ice. How would that final 5 min against Boston in game 7 looked if they could see big MF on the blueline? Right.

He was a tremendous addition to the Leafs last year with his defence, his toughness and his ability to move the puck.

Last edited by Tyler Biggs*: 09-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Will he even fight anymore after he had surgery on his face? I heard something about him getting a metal plate in his face.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Stephen

He's the definition of "serviceable". Ideally the farm system has a guy like that you can promote every year in training camp to fill a hole cheaply and efficiently. He's a guy I'd like to see replaced by a successful Paul Ranger and flipped for a decent asset at some point during the year.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

No, he even said it himself that he cannot fight. I don't see a good year for him, and I'm rarely ever negative

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Asif16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
No, he even said it himself that he cannot fight. I don't see a good year for him, and I'm rarely ever negative
Ummm wait what? Am i missing something? When did he say that he cant fight?

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
HeroNtF

If he cannot fight he is just holding for till a prospect like granberg is ready. He isnt bad against the boards but doubt he gets the respect he has been if he isnt able to fight.

His biggest weakness is his shot by far.. im sure half the people on here could hit the puck as hard.

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:10 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

The Mark Fraser of last season is the type of guy I want in my top 6 each and every season. Cheap, effective, not a liability, physical.

However, with his injury, he's already said fighting won't be part of his repertoire. If it was only that, I'd still easily want him in my top 6. But what I'm afraid of is that aside from fighting, the injury will also limit his "fearlessness"...as in he might not be physical as before, willing to block shots, go to the dirty areas, do the little things that guys like Gardiner, Rielly won't do.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Asif16*

Quote:
Also lets not forget the fact that this dude is still a tough SOB wether he can fight or not. Just cuz he cant fight hes gonna turn into a soft pansy? He is still by far our most physical defender. He clears the crease with a vengeance, throws big hits, gets in peoples faces and will jump in scrums to protect teammates. The only guy from our D corps thats brings those attributes. The closest guy we have is phaneuf, but even he is quietly toning down the physical side of things (mostly becuz he has been playing #1 dman min).

All of that, keeping in mind that he cant fight (which im pretty sure he can). But for a 6th D, fraser does everything we can ask for.

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:
Oh really, now where did he say that? I think you are saying that, not Mark Fraser.

Leafsin2014* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarkson View Post
This is the stud on D that the Leafs were missing for so long. A character guy who will not back down, will "drop em" when needed, and will play solid D for 60 min at both ends of the ice. How would that final 5 min against Boston in game 7 looked if they could see big MF on the blueline? Right.

He was a tremendous addition to the Leafs last year with his defence, his toughness and his ability to move the puck.

I will fight anyone who argues with this post. (Will Ferrel impersonation implied)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eplbDbp6XJQ

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:00 AM
wulfio*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarkson View Post

what's your definition of a stud

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Donato
#BarSouth

http://read.thestar.com/#!/article/5...ng-arbitration

"He said his eye was not in danger. It was his forehead- the frontal lobe- that was broken. But now the bones are weaker and another shot to the face could cause permanent damage."

Fraser: " in the event it would happen again, it would be much worse, said Fraser. The doctors warned me, Because the bones aren't as strong, it would be very dangerous. Very high risk"

You seriously think he's going to drop his gloves when he said he's going to wear a visor, and that another shot to the head might cause permanent damage? Especially fighters knowing that, they will target that part of his head.

Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 09-04-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: flaming
Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 07:03 AM
416Leafer

Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Liles, Ranger, Brennan, Granberg, Blacker, Holzer, Franson (if signed), and Fraser.

I see all of these guys as potential players to fill in NHL roles this year. If we have to trade Franson... so be it. The offence will be there from Phaneuf/Gardiner/Liles, we'll save capspace, and get (hopefully) a good young piece in return. If Fraser can't fight anymore and has lost a bit of an edge? So be it, I think Granberg plays a physical game and is probably a better player than him already.

We have options. Rielly/Percy are both only about a year to year and a half away as well.

Last edited by 416Leafer: 09-04-2013 at 07:52 AM.
416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 07:22 AM
SprDaVE

I thought he played very well in his role last year. Dropped the gloves when it was needed, blocked shots, cleared the crease and played fairly physical. He had great chemistry with Franson as well.

With that said, seems very iffy to even make the team. He'll be battling with a returning Ranger, the problematic Liles, a healthy Gardiner, a questionable Holzer and the blue chipper Rielly. That's tough competition for the #5-6-7-8 spots. That skull injury was also pretty scary last year that it may bring down his skillset a notch or two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fraser back with the Marlies to start the year.

Last edited by SprDaVE: 09-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 08:32 AM
cynicism

Played well but he's a dime a dozen player and I can't fathom why Nonis is paying him north of a million dollars, same with Paul Ranger. Nonis has no idea how to manage a cap.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:08 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I though he played very well in his role last year. Dropped the gloves when it was needed, blocked shots, cleared the crease and played fairly physical. He had great chemistry with Franson as well.

With that said, seems very iffy to even make the team. He'll be battling with a returning Ranger, a healthy Gardiner, a questionable Holzer and the blue chipper Rielly. That's tough competition for the #5-6-7-8 spots. That skull injury was also pretty scary last year that it may bring down his skillset a notch or two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fraser back with the Marlies to start the year.
Very True, and a thought I haven't really considered.

If Fraser were to get sent to the Marlies and replaced with someone like Brennan, then that would save us ~600k in cap space... and would give us over 6 million to sign Kadri and Franson on a 22 player roster.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Ranger
Brennan/Holzer

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:23 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Very True, and a thought I haven't really considered.

If Fraser were to get sent to the Marlies and replaced with someone like Brennan, then that would save us ~600k in cap space... and would give us over 6 million to sign Kadri and Franson on a 22 player roster.
This is why I don't think the Leafs are too worried about signing both of them.

There's a few moves they could do to get under the cap by simply waiving a player or two and still have a full roster.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Hotlanta

Quote:

"He said his eye was not in danger. It was his forehead- the frontal lobe- that was broken. But now the bones are weaker and another shot to the face could cause permanent damage."

Fraser: " in the event it would happen again, it would be much worse, said Fraser. The doctors warned me, Because the bones aren't as strong, it would be very dangerous. Very high risk"

You seriously think he's going to drop his gloves when he said he's going to wear a visor, and that another shot to the head might cause permanent damage? Especially fighters knowing that, they will target that part of his head.
I can't open the article, but I assume he is talking about getting hit with a puck, not a fist. A good boxer punches at between 30-60 km/hr. With equipment on & less balance, we can fairly assume that an NHL fighter punches below 30 km/hr. I am sure Lucic shoots at over 93mph (150 km/hr), so even an effective punch at 30km/hr is only 1/5th the speed of the shot he took to the noggin.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
I can't open the article, but I assume he is talking about getting hit with a puck, not a fist. A good boxer punches at between 30-60 km/hr. With equipment on & less balance, we can fairly assume that an NHL fighter punches below 30 km/hr. I am sure Lucic shoots at over 93mph (150 km/hr), so even an effective punch at 30km/hr is only 1/5th the speed of the shot he took to the noggin.
i agree with your logic but at the same time dont you think there would be a hesitation in him to block shots or take risks or do some of the things that made him effective last season? i guess we will see but you never like to hear a player say a dr says its risky but im doing it anyways

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Aplayaz2000

love his balls

the Burke word is...

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Ricky Bobby

I really like Fraser because to me he filled the role of a bottom pairing dman perfectly as a team first player on a cheap contract. He plays within his limits by keeping the game simple but very tough.

However, last year might have been the peak of Fraser's career and if he slips even just a little he's not an NHL player anymore. Being a serviceable player who can fight is big part of what got him into the NHL. But if he can't fight anymore that is a huge loss. Hopefully he doesn't become tentative in other aspects of the game (which would be understandable) or he might start being a healthy scratch.

With Holzer, Granberg, Marshall in the system I'm confident the team can find the next Fraser who can fill that bottom pairing tough defensive dman role if Fraser regresses.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Epoch

Quote:

So in other words, he never said he can't or won't fight. Gotcha.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon

Underrated. No surprise that our team toughness evaporated quite quickly after his exit in the playoffs. Nobody to properly clear the net in those last 5 minutes.

Not saying he's a "stud" like the OP but we don't have another player that fills that role. The suggestion that we replace Fraser with Ranger is not an answer.

People like to discredit +/- but +18 last regular season is a clear insight into how he can be properly utilized.

Doesn't need to fight to be effective either but that was an entertaining part of his game which may or may not continue depending on his prognosis.

darkside flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Kesselology
License to Phil

the injury to Fraser is tragic for the guy. He would have had a much more effective career if he could repeat what he did last year and improve upon his skating at the NHL level. Unfortunately I see a guy like Holzer (caveman Dennis Reynolds) beating him out during camp and Fraser going back to the Marlies.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Underrated. No surprise that our team toughness evaporated quite quickly after his exit in the playoffs. Nobody to properly clear the net in those last 5 minutes.

Not saying he's a "stud" like the OP but we don't have another player that fills that role. The suggestion that we replace Fraser with Ranger is not an answer.

People like to discredit +/- but +18 last regular season is a clear insight into how he can be properly utilized.

Doesn't need to fight to be effective either but that was an entertaining part of his game which may or may not continue depending on his prognosis.
Fraser played against 3rd/4th lines and in non-critical situations so when Carlyle decides to shorten his bench Fraser is likely one of the guys to stop playing. I certainly would have liked Fraser playing more than O'bryne who was a complete plug but no guarantee he doesn't just get outmatched against the Krejci or Bergeron line.

What this team was really missing was another Gunnarson type but who plays with more of an edge which is exactly what Ranger was last time he was in the NHL.

If Ranger pans out having him as a shutdown option will help Phaneuf immensely because Carlyle will be able to keep his minutes in check because we all saw what happened to Phaneuf being overextended in the playoffs.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote