HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

Old
09-11-2010, 08:11 AM
LeafsCrusader*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzie View Post
I'm meh on Brady and think Blair is a morose, smarmy a-hole (he's an on-air host and he sounds like he's being bothered and above the whole process) - but E Smith a hack? C'mon.

I listen to the Fan for most of the day at work when possible and thought he was as good a personality as they had. Young (ish) - my demo, and seems much more in-touch and relevant. Lives in downtown T.O. and not afraid to throw out some strong opinions at times. Really glad he's coming back.
So because Eric Smith is from your "demo" and "lives in downtown T.O." that makes him a good all sports knowledgeable on air entertainer? LMAO

Give me a break Eric Smith is nothing but an annoying basketball nutswinger who knows absolutely jack about Hockey and who has absolutely no business hosting an all sports radio show. And i can tell you for an absolute fact that the FAN did not like his all sports show hosting debut and wanted to dump him off the afternoon show almost as soon as he started. In fact he lasted 1 season didn't he? The FAN's Raptors ratings have always sucked and MLSE was told the FAN would not carry the losses any longer at any cost. The fact that Smith is now brought back to host on air is yet another joke move by Kollins, the FAN simply couldn't find another Raptors jocksniffing broadcaster to please MLSE.

Last edited by LeafsCrusader*: 09-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.
LeafsCrusader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Kessick

A pretty good Sun article (outside of that Qu'ran burning analogy) that defends the Leafs against some crazy accusations leveled by that crazy Dave Perkins:

Quote:
It happened on The FAN 590’s PrimeTime Sports with Bob McCown during a discussion over Leafs GM Brian Burke’s decision to invite controversial tough guy Michael Liambas to camp.

“The currency now is the Leafs are a joke,” commentator Dave Perkins said on the panel which included John Shannon and Gordon Kirke. “I think if I were the proprietors of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you would be ashamed that you have taken this great Canadian institution and made into a national punch line.”

“Nothing would surprise me with the Toronto Maple Leafs,” said Perkins. “I would say it’s the most morally bankrupt organization in sports.”

"Seems like there is nothing beneath the Toronto Maple Leafs,” said Perkins. “I always say 150 years ago they would have been selling diseased blankets to the Indians.”
These people get paid for this commentary? That's sickening.

Here's the whole article.

I don't plan on tuning into the FAN and never have except on occasion to Hockeycentral, when it was run by the Sportsnet crew.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:41 AM
LeafsCrusader*

Giving credit where credit is due at least MLSE does a half decent job of honouring Canadian soldiers.

But ya MLSE has certainly pissed off a lot of people over the years. I can understand where Perkins is coming from though when he calls MLSE "morally bankrupt". Take the old Leafs fan forum before the board change for example and it became dormant...that forum was moderated by trolls for years. There was consistently crap on that Leafs forum that was unfit for adults never mind children. Mods did nothing and i know for a fact MLSE didn't give a rats a$$ about it either and refused to clean it up, morally bankrupt indeed.

Last edited by LeafsCrusader*: 09-11-2010 at 08:52 AM.
LeafsCrusader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I'm first reading it, "... taken this great Canadian institution and made into a national punch line.", okay a little mean but kind of the truth.

Then it's that MLSE is "it’s the most morally bankrupt organization in sports", hyperbole but I have to concede that MLSE is the sort of a typical heartless, profit-mad, bloated organization that brings out this sort of vitriol from some observers.

Then finally it's "I always say 150 years ago they would have been selling diseased blankets to the Indians." Okay buddy. Full loony tunes mode. Has Perkins crossed a line that might lead to a libel suit?

Now, onto the Liambas debate. He's not my sort of player. I don't believe he can help the team in any way. But have these folks heard of "second chances"? I believe the real heartless, cynical ones are the people who believe that when someone makes mistakes in their life they must be beaten down and kept down the rest of their lives. How far to take this attitude? Don't allow Liambas to play hockey ever again? Don't let paroled convicts get jobs just beg on the street? Fire someone when they make their first mistake on the job?

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricTicker View Post
Now, onto the Liambas debate. He's not my sort of player. I don't believe he can help the team in any way. But have these folks heard of "second chances"? I believe the real heartless, cynical ones are the people who believe that when someone makes mistakes in their life they must be beaten down and kept down the rest of their lives. How far to take this attitude? Don't allow Liambas to play hockey ever again? Don't let paroled convicts get jobs just beg on the street? Fire someone when they make their first mistake on the job?
I think you mean "third chances" since his second chance resulted him being signed as a professional into the IHL after the junior suspension (the IHL choosing not to honour the OHL suspension, which is their right). He subsequently got suspended again for 5 games for hitting another player from behind and rupturing his spleen.

But have folks ever heard of "third chances"?

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Dio666

On my drive to work this morning, I heard the guys on the Fan say that the new 'Morning Show' host to be announced by Bob McCown. I think they said sometime next week.

Can someone please tell me why this idiot McCown has so much say in things such as the Hockey Summit? Listening to him (the odd time. Mainly because he had Burke on his slot last week), I can notice his new found arrogance in regards to Hockey, added to the large amount he already has.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:52 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
On my drive to work this morning, I heard the guys on the Fan say that the new 'Morning Show' host to be announced by Bob McCown. I think they said sometime next week.

Can someone please tell me why this idiot McCown has so much say in things such as the Hockey Summit? Listening to him (the odd time. Mainly because he had Burke on his slot last week), I can notice his new found arrogance in regards to Hockey, added to the large amount he already has.
He has a decent grasp of baseball, but he's a novice when it comes to hockey analysis. The only reason his show gets any ratings from the hockey crowd, is because of the negative comments.

Think about it for a minute. There are dozens of positive posts and threads about the Leafs here (not talking about the overly positive, fanboyish, blue goggle ones), and yet it's the negative posts and threads that seem to get all the responses. It's human nature. We see something positive, we feel good, but don't have much to add (if we agree), but if we see a negative article, against our team, we feel the need to respond in some way.

His show is something like that.

As for the whole panel of radioheads that were involved with that "morally corrupt" discussion. Well, it's all done for ratings. Drama gets you ratings. Heck, I've never even heard of some of those guys, in terms of hockey analysts.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Andrew Mack

Quote:

I agree that he is an arrogant guy, but the reason he has so much to say is because he's one of most well-respected and recognized radio hosts in North America. He's extremely highly thought of in sports media.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
I think you mean "third chances" since his second chance resulted him being signed as a professional into the IHL after the junior suspension (the IHL choosing not to honour the OHL suspension, which is their right). He subsequently got suspended again for 5 games for hitting another player from behind and rupturing his spleen.

But have folks ever heard of "third chances"?
You might want to read what actually was said (by the injured player) and happened before being so judgemental.

Jason Lawmaster related what he remembered from the play; “I went to pick up the puck, I was waiting for my teammates to get open, they weren’t so I went to dump the puck and slipped, Mike came and hit me. At first I thought I just got the wind knocked out of me.”

Lawmaster was asked if he thought the hit was vicious in intent.

No way, him and I play very similar, he is out there to finish his checks and make the other team know he is there, it was just bad luck.”

Jason said that Liambas called him a few days after the incident.

“He called to see how I was doing which I really appreciated, he was real classy.”

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/..._Liambas.shtml

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Jordan

Quote:

McCown has earned every bit of arrogance he has.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You might want to read what actually was said (by the injured player) and happened before being so judgemental.

Jason Lawmaster related what he remembered from the play; “I went to pick up the puck, I was waiting for my teammates to get open, they weren’t so I went to dump the puck and slipped, Mike came and hit me. At first I thought I just got the wind knocked out of me.”

Lawmaster was asked if he thought the hit was vicious in intent.

No way, him and I play very similar, he is out there to finish his checks and make the other team know he is there, it was just bad luck.”

Jason said that Liambas called him a few days after the incident.

“He called to see how I was doing which I really appreciated, he was real classy.”

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/..._Liambas.shtml
good post!

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
McCown has earned every bit of arrogance he has.
Agreed.

McCown actually has a brain in his head and can analyze more than just X's and O's.
I don't see his comments as negative as much as realistic. Some people are just way to sensitive.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsCrusader View Post
Giving credit where credit is due at least MLSE does a half decent job of honouring Canadian soldiers.

But ya MLSE has certainly pissed off a lot of people over the years. I can understand where Perkins is coming from though when he calls MLSE "morally bankrupt". Take the old Leafs fan forum before the board change for example and it became dormant...that forum was moderated by trolls for years. There was consistently crap on that Leafs forum that was unfit for adults never mind children. Mods did nothing and i know for a fact MLSE didn't give a rats a$$ about it either and refused to clean it up, morally bankrupt indeed.
As far as the Liambas issue, anyone see the game last night, twice LeafsKids were run into the boards from behind head first...............Liambas dropped em with the guy that did it to Dale Mitchell.............and thats why Mike is there, but think more Nazem Kadri than the Dale Mitchell's of the world

as for his IHL suspension, he went to that league with a very large target on his back as he'd been demonized by the media for weeks and every player in the IHL, can I assume read. As a player even though it's more infamy than anything else, how'd you like to be known as the guy who got Liambas............he basically had to fight his way through a very rough and tumble league.

Perkins was way off base and way over the line, I know he's entitled to his opinion and I do not begrudge him that, but there is a limit to what one or an organization has to endure!

the old Leafs board was and is just as politically correct as this one.....no need to get on the high horse.......Ive seen things here not fit for the minds of children either, because children are a darn sight sharper than you might think

Quote:

Bob McCown knows a heck of a lot more about hockey than 95% of the people on here mon chum and knows more about what is going on in the league than 98% of the people here. What the Bobcat isn't though is a fan of the NHL, he recognizes what is wrong with it and acknowledges it.......read his book if you think you're in any kind of a position to call him an idiot, he just might teach you a thing or two

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
02m3smg

Put it this way, I like listening to the 5pm show more than the morning one. McCowan has good interviews.

When Stellick and Landry were doing the morning at least they had good guests and communicated with them. Now it's the same old questions. Zzz. Rather listen to 680 and drone out.

02m3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
bionic

I thought the new morning guy was going to be announced today. Does anyone have any info?

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Doug MacLean is an irritating radio personality. I'm shocked by the mediocrity of his hockey knowledge. And he's disrespectful to the callers although that doesn't always work against radio personalities.

BTW, the Andrew Crystal show had a golden moment this morning when he got Mary Hornsby so worked up over the subject of sexy women reporters in sports dressing rooms that she hung up the phone.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Doug MacLean is an irritating radio personality. I'm shocked by the mediocrity of his hockey knowledge. And he's disrespectful to the callers although that doesn't always work against radio personalities.

BTW, the Andrew Crystal show had a golden moment this morning when he got Mary Hornsby so worked up over the subject of sexy women reporters in sports dressing rooms that she hung up the phone.
lol I missed that, but when that woman in the Jets lockeroom tweeted (from the lockerroom) that she was dying of embarrassment because of all the naked athletes, all bets were off in my opion. I don't get how she can drive followers by tweeting about walking around the locker room, then worry that she's getting hooted.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:19 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:

McCown's show isn't about in-depth analysis of the different leagues. He'd be the first to tell you that. His show is different from what's on the radio the other 21 hours of the day.

He's a very well respected person in this country, has a ton of connections and is very out spoken. He got invited to the Summit because of his connections and because of his outside-of-the-box ideas. Like him or hate him, he's the most unique voice in sports radio in Canada.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
lol I missed that, but when that woman in the Jets lockeroom tweeted (from the lockerroom) that she was dying of embarrassment because of all the naked athletes, all bets were off in my opion. I don't get how she can drive followers by tweeting about walking around the locker room, then worry that she's getting hooted.
BTW, google her name, Ines Sainz, and see how she dresses when reporting at sports events. You'll be glad you did.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
BTW, google her name, Ines Sainz, and see how she dresses when reporting at sports events. You'll be glad you did.
She said she didn't hear anything that offended her, but some of the other sports-writer women were offended by the comments.

It would actually be tough for a female sportwriter who's worked her whole career to be taken seriously to see the whole thing disintegrate when an Ines Sainz comes in, twitting about the naked athletes while wearing a super hot outfit. Those jeans are just....well, they just are.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thanks .

Thats one hell of a poopper .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audubon View Post
good post!
Agreed.

And has anyone actually seen the suspended IHL hit? I've read more that it was a suspension based on the name of the player, as opposed by the act.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

Quote:
He's probably still upset over his horribly wrong predictions that the Leafs would have to overpay Gustavsson to re-sign him, and that there was no way the Leafs could trade for Phaneuf.

Quote:
Expected behaviour from a convicted criminal (him, not her).

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Doug Smith weighs in on iL

Quote:
Now, on an entire aside, I understand some screaming radio talking head at the FAN590 here in Toronto (some dude named Krystal or somesuch who to this point is an entire non-entity in the business here) tried to make his bones – weakly – by disrespecting a colleague of mine of this issue yesterday morning.

A punk move by guy who shows what’s entirely wrong with all-talk radio and a kid who gives that industry a worse name than it already has. But what else should I expect, right? Guy won’t have a normal discussion of an important issue because he’s too afraid. And it doesn’t make it about him

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Doug Smith weighs in on iL
By all means, let's allow political correctness win. That'll improve the product at the Fan.

It was a genuinely funny moment listening to Hornsby's emotional plea for the lady's right to shake her moneymaker in an NFL dressing room without comment. If this was about Mary Hornsby or any actual journalist of any gender being treated poorly in a dressing room I'd be right there on her side of this argument. But since it's someone who is only there to incite a reaction, they have no case.