HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
  #126
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Bob McCown just on the Fan: "What's the Lady Byng for?" Enough said.
McCown doesn't watch hockey. He admits this. So I laugh whever he tries to tell his audience something about the NHL. He knows less than people who post here.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
  #127
BlueBlood17
Registered User
 
BlueBlood17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Bobcat is Bobcat.

He says thing to get a reaction and get people listening, and they do. You can't slag him as a personality, the numbers speak for themselves.

He used to get under my skin with some of the stuff he said, but I eventually learned that is exactly what he was trying to do, and have found a way to just listen to his opinion as entertainment/strategy and not bother to try and combat it with facts.

I just wish he would stick to what he's good at - the business of sports, and the politics/power structure in sports. Whenever he gets into any sort of debate about a sport itself, he is out to lunch.

He openly admits how scarcely he actually watches any game in any sport. In the same program he'll argue with an "expert" about the merits of Player A or B or coaching tacting X or Y. Whenever he gets challenged, he takes the easy way out and either cuts the other person off or just resorts to "I've been in this business for 30 years".

Whenever he has Stephen Brunt on, you can just hear in Brunt's voice how bad he wants to rip into Bobcat or correct him, but he just bites his tongue. The complete opposite of that is Jim Kelly, the buffoon from Buffalo who is Bobcat's yes-man.

My other pet peeve with Bobcat is how he handles his "buddies" with kid gloves. He has no problem ripping the Leafs and Burke 99% of the time, but when BB goes on his show, it's obvious Bobcat changes his tune and doesn't ask the hard questions. He can't risk offending a "friend of the show", so he throws softballs and then starts his tirade again once BB hangs up and isn't there to defend himself.

Same thing with George Gillett, even when the Habs were in bleak times of their own, you'd almost thing Bobcat was going to have an orgasm when he talked about Gillett. Bobcat you frickin ball-washer, I hate you!!!




Ah s**t there goes another Bobcat rant, I swore I just said I learned how to not let him get under my skin...oh well. You win, Bobcat.

BlueBlood17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
  #128
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17 View Post

My other pet peeve with Bobcat is how he handles his "buddies" with kid gloves. He has no problem ripping the Leafs and Burke 99% of the time, but when BB goes on his show, it's obvious Bobcat changes his tune and doesn't ask the hard questions. He can't risk offending a "friend of the show", so he throws softballs and then starts his tirade again once BB hangs up and isn't there to defend himself.
I think you're off. While he's always been critical of the Leafs, he hasn't been very critical of Burke (yes, even when he's not on the air). He's been extremely easy on both Burke and Anthopoulos, especially compared to how he was with Ferguson and ricciardi, whom he ripped to shreds any chance he got.

That said, I agree that he's been soft on Burke when he has come on air, asking him softballs about hot-dogs, jerseys, or other nonsense.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:48 PM
  #129
BlueBlood17
Registered User
 
BlueBlood17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
I think you're off. While he's always been critical of the Leafs, he hasn't been very critical of Burke (yes, even when he's not on the air). He's been extremely easy on both Burke and Anthopoulos, especially compared to how he was with Ferguson and ricciardi, whom he ripped to shreds any chance he got.

That said, I agree that he's been soft on Burke when he has come on air, asking him softballs about hot-dogs, jerseys, or other nonsense.
Yeah I guess you're right...not so much critical of Burke...but like he'll always question why the Leafs didn't do this or that, and he'll make his own hypothesis, but then when he has BB on the air he doesn't bring it up.

LOL as for Anthopoulos...geez this guy is the Golden Boy. I hardly ever hear a negative thing about him from any single person...radio, TV, print, fans, etc. Of course there's always a honeymoon period, but God knows the cynics normally find SOMETHING to pick at by this point.

I'm very interested to see how he handles it when it inevitably happens (the Jays surprising start has spared him, mostly). He seems like a smooth cat, though! Maybe Bobcat is scared to trash AA because his wife is Greek and she'll beat his ass!

BlueBlood17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
  #130
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,951
vCash: 460
What I enjoy about McCowns show is the guests he gets on the show. Stephen Brunt, Michael Grange, Jeff Blair, those guys know their stuff, and are enjoyable to listen to on the show.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:11 AM
  #131
Ratboy
PTSD-Leafdom
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,067
vCash: 500
What the ****? Millard is horrible but so is Brady. Brady might even be worse, that's how much I dislike him.

Armstrong can go. I can't stand him either.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:02 AM
  #132
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,280
vCash: 500
some thoughts...

*hoping they get a morning show with a bit of edge... it often felt a bit like a retirement home atmosphere over the past couple years even though Stelleck was a nice guy I think and i never minded him in the old afternoon spot

*Ive never been able to listen to Hogan and have always switched to Vancouver or Edmonton sports options when his show has come on... nothing missed here

*I tended to like the hockey central show, but obviously the key to it is the analysts. Hopefully Brady can stop from talking about sex, cause he has a major phobia of it that ruined the Watters show over the past year ever since the Woods story broke. I think Watters is a unique personality that is hard to work with probably, so I think Brady has a chance to be okay.

*I wish McCown at least pretended to like sports. I dont doubt his a-hole personality is popular to listen to, but as to why he is on a sports radio station, it just baffles me. I have absolutely no reason to believe he likes any sport, and I have every reason to believe he is just pompous and enjoys being a bully gorilla able to make comments on stuff which in this case happens to be the sports world.

I very very very very rarely am forced to listen to McCown when theres so much competition around, but my favorite alternative has been the Watters show. I find Bill to be usually pretty funny to listen to and enjoy a good laugh.

All-in-all, I think the station needed these changes... I have never liked Ottawa/Montreal morning shows so I look forward to improvements from 6-noon to make my life a little better and I will continue to avoid the fan590 after hockey central is over cause the rest of their day continues to offer me absolutely nothing im interested in as a sports fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
  #133
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 38,470
vCash: 500
doug farraway is totally annoying
he's getting loads of hate mail LOL

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
  #134
IcedCapp
Deathpres
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,976
vCash: 500
I can't stand Farraway, either. Can't stand his voice. Can't stand the stanza in which he speaks. Can't stand what he says. And this isn't a 'its okay to hate him, it makes you listen', this is a, 'no matter what the topic, who the guests are, as soon as he's on the air I turn the dial' situation.

I'm relatively new to the TO market (5 years ish), but I like McCown (probably since we're both buckeyes) and I like Hogan. Not so much sad that he's gone, but surprised. He seemed knowledgeable and was able to carry on conversations with both fans and guests. I think they could do without the first hour of the show (which was all fan call ins), but really no complaints.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is he was on vacation this week (as was ESmith, I think), and as of Thursday, it was still the 'Mike Hogan Show', but this morning it wasn't called anything and they didn't mention him. If you are going to make changes, that seems like a real... cowardly way of doing it. (as nicely as I can put it)

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
  #135
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 905
I really like the MCCown show, I don't agree with 30% of things, but generally they get interesting people and things to discuss and I always turn it on the TV once I get home and eat dinner. except to when they talk golf, boxing or horse racing.

As to someone's comment that Bobcat doesn't know anything about the NHL and people here know more than him - I strongly disagree. Most people here are fans and it's a severe handicap to his profession.

As to the morning show - don't care much, Hogan never really did much to me, especially coz I am not an Argos fan, Don't care about Millard - I like him on TV way better.

I used to like Watters, but he slowly became way to big for his own dentures and I am glad that AM640 is struggling to keep up with Bobcat - serves them right for ruining Mojo radio that used to be great. Armstrong is not bad, but problem is - nobody wants to talk NBA for 2-3 hours a day in this city.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
  #136
TheTotalPackage
Registered User
 
TheTotalPackage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
McCown doesn't watch hockey. He admits this. So I laugh whever he tries to tell his audience something about the NHL. He knows less than people who post here.
It's funny, he slags hockey, yet he goes out and writes the book "The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments" (which I thought was very well written).

I personally enjoy listening to Bobcat. Can be a blowhard and doesn't get his facts straight at times, but his show and the guests he gets on are great. I too enjoy Brunt as his sidekick -- just a well-versed guy. One guy I can't stand is Jeff Blair -- he sighing before every statement and constant "Uhhs" and "Welllll..." drive me insane. Not to mention when you watch him on TV blinking uncontrollable and bobbing his head towards the mike as if he wants to make love to it.

TheTotalPackage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
  #137
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 905
I miss Kelly as a regular cohost

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
  #138
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,818
vCash: 500
McCown's show is probably the only thing that makes them any real money.

How the hell did they lose out on the Leaf rights to a talk radio station??

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
  #139
IcedCapp
Deathpres
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I miss Kelly as a regular cohost
I generally like what Kelley has to say, but sometimes it is hard to listen to him try to say it..

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
  #140
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I generally like what Kelley has to say, but sometimes it is hard to listen to him try to say it..
I agree. But for the most part I enjoy the co-cast that the show offers. I particularly like the Friday's round table.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
  #141
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
McCown's show is probably the only thing that makes them any real money.

How the hell did they lose out on the Leaf rights to a talk radio station??
I think it's more of a decision that the Leafs broadcast rights are far too expensive.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
  #142
IcedCapp
Deathpres
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I agree. But for the most part I enjoy the co-cast that the show offers. I particularly like the Friday's round table.
Same, Fridays are the best, imo. But then again, I don't care for all of their segments during the week (Example: I'm not a boxing fan, at all, so their weekly chat on it does nothing for me).

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
  #143
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,220
vCash: 500
Bob carries a "persona" on his radio show. I have had the oportunity to meet him twice and know people who have associated with him. He isn't at all a "gruff, grumpy" type of guy, quite the oposite really. He has dual citizenship and is a proud Canadian with deep roots in the US. You'll find on his show guys like Brunt, Kelly and even Cox when he was on the show, find him to be quite humorus with his persona vs his real personality. He has had some very successful businesses in the US many years ago, and has connections with many sports executives, and is very well respected. I'm a fan, and glad he's still on the air. IMO Stellick willl find something else very soon.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
  #144
The Nic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Bob carries a "persona" on his radio show. I have had the oportunity to meet him twice and know people who have associated with him. He isn't at all a "gruff, grumpy" type of guy, quite the oposite really. He has dual citizenship and is a proud Canadian with deep roots in the US. You'll find on his show guys like Brunt, Kelly and even Cox when he was on the show, find him to be quite humorus with his persona vs his real personality. He has had some very successful businesses in the US many years ago, and has connections with many sports executives, and is very well respected. I'm a fan, and glad he's still on the air. IMO Stellick willl find something else very soon.
I would love to see AM640 grab Stellick and pair him up with Watters on the afternoon drive show. Two ex-Leafs Executives who could do a "good cop, bad (senile) cop schtick and perhaps give McCown a good run for his money... especially during the hockey season.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  #145
flair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
I guess that the Fan needed a shakeup but the high turnover is troubling....

I have been listening to the Fan/CJCL for years. The day the Fan1430 came into existence, I remember Jim Richards from the Richards and Rumack show proclaiming that "Elvis has left the building", referring to the old time radio CJCL used to play. I still find it funny many years later.

There have been some good times and bad. Anyone remember the (not so) Fabulous Sports Babe? I still shiver when I think about that horrible show. I think this was the time when the Fan was airing low cost American shows to fill up the void during the days.

This is the second time Mike Hogan has been let go from the Fan. I am a big Hogan fan and I will miss him. He was awesome when paired up with Spider Jones. The day Hogan called him Charles was priceless!

Speaking of Spider, anyone remember him with Strombo as his producer? I seem to recall Spider calling him the Mombo Jombo man. Elliot 'the Freege' Friedman also got his start on Spider's show.

McGowan has turned into a pompous jerk but I still listen to him religiously through the podcasts. I guess it is a love hate relationship I still think that Dan Shulman was the best Primetime Sports host. Jim Hunt was my favourite co-host. Is it me or was McGowan much more humble when he had Shaky as his co-host? McGowan used to always ask him to bring up the story of Shaky rolling down the hill from the tee box of the 18th hole in Augusta.

I miss the trivia 'Who Am I'. Anyone remember that guy that called in everyday with the same answer Dave Sapunjis?

Stellick was a lost cause once he moved away from the Big Show timeslot. During that time, I did find him witty and informative and he showed off his talent by making Damien Cox appear to be a decent co-host.

flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:33 PM
  #146
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flair View Post
I guess that the Fan needed a shakeup but the high turnover is troubling....

I have been listening to the Fan/CJCL for years. The day the Fan1430 came into existence, I remember Jim Richards from the Richards and Rumack show proclaiming that "Elvis has left the building", referring to the old time radio CJCL used to play. I still find it funny many years later.

There have been some good times and bad. Anyone remember the (not so) Fabulous Sports Babe? I still shiver when I think about that horrible show. I think this was the time when the Fan was airing low cost American shows to fill up the void during the days.

This is the second time Mike Hogan has been let go from the Fan. I am a big Hogan fan and I will miss him. He was awesome when paired up with Spider Jones. The day Hogan called him Charles was priceless!

Speaking of Spider, anyone remember him with Strombo as his producer? I seem to recall Spider calling him the Mombo Jombo man. Elliot 'the Freege' Friedman also got his start on Spider's show.

McGowan has turned into a pompous jerk but I still listen to him religiously through the podcasts. I guess it is a love hate relationship I still think that Dan Shulman was the best Primetime Sports host. Jim Hunt was my favourite co-host. Is it me or was McGowan much more humble when he had Shaky as his co-host? McGowan used to always ask him to bring up the story of Shaky rolling down the hill from the tee box of the 18th hole in Augusta.

I miss the trivia 'Who Am I'. Anyone remember that guy that called in everyday with the same answer Dave Sapunjis?

Stellick was a lost cause once he moved away from the Big Show timeslot. During that time, I did find him witty and informative and he showed off his talent by making Damien Cox appear to be a decent co-host.
dont know why they ever let richards go

hated the fabulous sports babe, just hated it, always tried to turn off the radio immediately

spider jones was brutal, knew very little about any sport other than boxing...late at night people would call in and one-up eachother by asking him very detailed questions about things he had no idea about, and hed always answer "what do you think?"

and bang on about stellick, he was awesome in the afternoon, seemed to be infected by landry's lazy complacency on the morning show........i think they should have just let stellick host the morning show on his own and see how he did


Last edited by BillyD: 06-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:36 PM
  #147
VIRUS227
Registered User
 
VIRUS227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
They let Hogie go WTF?? Maybe we'll get to listen to the Clown from Hamilton who goes on and on complaining like a nagging wife (can't remember his name but i think he's the manager or something). This station stays in business despite itself lmao.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
You said it. Been listening to him every morning on my way to work for years.

They boot Hogie, but keep Roger Lajoie? Come on....

VIRUS227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
  #148
flair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded13 View Post
They let Hogie go WTF?? Maybe we'll get to listen to the Clown from Hamilton who goes on and on complaining like a nagging wife (can't remember his name but i think he's the manager or something). This station stays in business despite itself lmao.
I thought the clown was from Thunder Bay (referring to Hockeycentral at 1pm).

Hogie is a cool guy. I remember one time, he had a few of his regular callers come into the studio with him as on-air guests. Philly Bob must have been one of them...

flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
  #149
Frills
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
The whole thing smells fishy to me.

I smell a rat...and his name starts with "Nelson".

Listen, Landry sucked huge Jamaican cucumbers. Stellick was boring. Etc, etc.

But I thought that ten fricking years ago!

So...either Nelson Mellman (Millman?) is the biggest nut in the world...or this whole thing was staged. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson pulls a Scotty Bowman and brings in his entire family to be the new hosts.

McCown is WAY overrated. (Plus, arrogant and annoying.)

Over on am640, Watters is worse.

I had to stop listening to am640 because its painfully-obvious Conservative slant makes it appear like Fox News North. (Adler? Oakley? GAG!!!!!) Also, the Hayes/Derringer family connection reeks of nepotism.

Truth is, these schmoes make an obscene paycheque just yapping about sports.

I couldn't care less if they replaced them all with "Alan Expressway" the cab driver.

Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
  #150
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills View Post
The whole thing smells fishy to me.

I smell a rat...and his name starts with "Nelson".

Listen, Landry sucked huge Jamaican cucumbers. Stellick was boring. Etc, etc.

But I thought that ten fricking years ago!

So...either Nelson Mellman (Millman?) is the biggest nut in the world...or this whole thing was staged. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson pulls a Scotty Bowman and brings in his entire family to be the new hosts.

McCown is WAY overrated. (Plus, arrogant and annoying.)

Over on am640, Watters is worse.

I had to stop listening to am640 because its painfully-obvious Conservative slant makes it appear like Fox News North. (Adler? Oakley? GAG!!!!!) Also, the Hayes/Derringer family connection reeks of nepotism.

Truth is, these schmoes make an obscene paycheque just yapping about sports.

I couldn't care less if they replaced them all with "Alan Expressway" the cab driver.
Nelson Millman is no longer the programming director at the fan, he moved on to sportsnet a few months ago.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.