HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider is ready.....

Old
06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
rangersfan212

vCash: 500
He will be at the camp

He is so focussed, he is doing off ice 4 days a week on top of an intenses, 8 week, 3 times a week on ice program with other D 1 and pro players. 2 Hours a day with NHL coaches and tons of situational stuff

He is a better pro player than a college player. He would adjust and make a difference but will do another year at BC. His goal is NHL and would be better going major junior and would be an impact quicker. Dont count anything out.

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He will be signed next year and go pro.

This year he will go back to BC and play top minutes.

I agree physically Kreider has been ready since he was drafted. He's just a real pure physical athlete.

But mentally he is still only 19 years old. Albeit, a very intelligent and mature 19 year old.

Let him go back to BC, learn, sign his pro contract next summer and continue from there.

I have no doubt Kreider is going to be an outstanding player. I have been high on him since about April or May of last year before we drafted him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I know things look bleak but lets not rush any of these kids. Already we have 2 that really could have benefited from another year of juniors.

MDZ although he had an amazing offensive year could have used another year in juniors and Evgeny Grachev who's eager agent who was so adamant about Grachev turning pro, may have stunted the kids growth by doing so.

I think the way Artem Anisimov was developed is the prototypical way the Rangers should bring in these kids.
The only difference between Artie and Grachev is that Artie played his 1st post-draft year in Russia, and Grachev in the OHL. They both entered the AHL at age 19. I fail to see how Artie was developed properly but with Grachev it was a mistake.

If Grachev plays the year in Hartford, he'll top 30 goals. Maybe more if he and Stepan click.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Kreider still has a LOT to understand about creating plays off the rush, about playing in the defensive and neutral zones, about using his teammates to buy himself time and space, etc.

Right now hes just a MACHINE with speed, and power that uses it go get by people and score goals, once he learns those things, hes going to be nigh impossible to contain.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Kreider still has a LOT to understand about creating plays off the rush, about playing in the defensive and neutral zones, about using his teammates to buy himself time and space, etc.

Right now hes just a MACHINE with speed, and power that uses it go get by people and score goals, once he learns those things, hes going to be nigh impossible to contain.
Kreider is a work in progress, as are many players at his point in development.

But even if he does progress to his potential, I think he'll always be the type of winger who really needs a good playmaking center to be successful. That's one of the reason I think he might be the perfect winger for a guy like Stepan. Their strengths compliment each other well.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:54 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree with the general consensus that Kreider needs another year at BC.
No so much overcaution, but rather not rushing someone who does not appear to be ready for the pro-game. Speed aside, he needs to work on other aspects. He should incubate a little bit more.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
See: Sjostrom, Freddie
LOL... exactly....

No need to rush Kreider... Although he looked good at the WJC last year... Let him develop the right way... He has not even dominated the college level yet which is not even than the AHL level...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
See: Sjostrom, Freddie
Also see:

Fata, Rico

and

Dupuis, Pascal

Kreider is MUCH more talented than those clowns, however.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM
rangersfan212

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Also see:

Fata, Rico

and

Dupuis, Pascal

Exactly... watch him at dev camp and yopu tell me if there is a forward there better suited and in more need of playing with high end talent than him. wait and watch

His goal is nhl, not hockey east. he will develop faster there and it would not stunt his growth 1%

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Levitate

Did you talk to him or are you assuming stuff? Just curious.

I know he was majorly psyched to go to BC, but he did just win the bean pot, a national championship, and WJC gold, so he might feel like he's done it all at that level already.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Also see:

Fata, Rico

and

Dupuis, Pascal

Of course. I was only addressing the ZOMG FAST BE ON TEH RANGARS THIS YEAR mentality.

I love this kid and can't wait to see him in a Rangers sweater, but I'd rather not rush him.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
mm11

what's the difference between Kreider and say a Rico fata? I mean Kreider did not exactly light up BC in his frosh season. In junior Fata was over a point per game player but nothing earth shattering as far as numbers.

Fata had one big year for the Wolf pack but eventually got waived multiple times settling playing in Europe I think. Fata was a 6th overall pick in the 1998 NHL entry draft after being picked 1st overall in the OHL. I guess Fata had the wheels but didnt have the hockey sense. Is that a correct assumption?

After seeing Kreider play there is no doubt this kid has the tools but does he have the toolbox to harness them? Million dollar question that will take years. Good pick by Gordie and crew at that spot.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Deathstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
what's the difference between Kreider and say a Rico fata? I mean Kreider did not exactly light up BC in his frosh season. In junior Fata was over a point per game player but nothing earth shattering as far as numbers.

Fata had one big year for the Wolf pack but eventually got waived multiple times settling playing in Europe I think. Fata was a 6th overall pick in the 1998 NHL entry draft after being picked 1st overall in the OHL. I guess Fata had the wheels but didnt have the hockey sense. Is that a correct assumption?

After seeing Kreider play there is no doubt this kid has the tools but does he have the toolbox to harness them? Million dollar question that will take years. Good pick by Gordie and crew at that spot.

Calvin DeHann is a superstar

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Edge

Quote:

I think you've pretty much got the idea.

We can't really compare the two leagues in terms of scoring, they just don't score the same way.

Kreider has Fata's wheels and to this point is bigger, seems to see the ice better and is more mature.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Levitate

Might even be a better skater than Fata, though it's been a long time since I've seen Fata skate.

What impresses me about Kreider's skating is that it looks fluid and powerful. He's not one of those fast skaters who chugs really hard with legs flying all over the place, he just starts going and he's flying

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
what's the difference between Kreider and say a Rico fata? I mean Kreider did not exactly light up BC in his frosh season.
15g 8a in 38 games doesn't seem like much, until you consider:

1) He went from playing in high school prep to playing against 18-24 year olds in college
2) He didn't get time on the top lines
3) He didn't get significant power play time
4) He scored 13g 5a in his last 21 games
5) He scored 6g 1a in 7 games at the WJC
6) He was the youngest player on the US WC team by 3 years and had 1g 1a in 6 games
7) Won WJC gold. Won the Beanpot. Won the NCAA Championship

His season was very successful. What exactly were you expecting?

The biggest question mark on him coming into last year's draft was the level of competition he played against. He more than showed this year that he can compete at the NCAA level, at the WJC against the best young players in the world, and at the WC against professionals.

Given his success this year, particularly from the WJC and on, I fully expect him to be at least a PPG player next year. He'll be playing top 6 for BC, who should be competing for the NCAA title again. He'll get PP time. I wouldn't be at all surprised with 30g 20a.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
15g 8a in 38 games doesn't seem like much, until you consider:

1) He went from playing in high school prep to playing against 18-24 year olds in college
2) He didn't get time on the top lines
3) He didn't get significant power play time
4) He scored 13g 5a in his last 21 games
5) He scored 6g 1a in 7 games at the WJC
6) He was the youngest player on the US WC team by 3 years and had 1g 1a in 6 games
7) Won WJC gold. Won the Beanpot. Won the NCAA Championship

His season was very successful. What exactly were you expecting?

The biggest question mark on him coming into last year's draft was the level of competition he played against. He more than showed this year that he can compete at the NCAA level, at the WJC against the best young players in the world, and at the WC against professionals.

Given his success this year, particularly from the WJC and on, I fully expect him to be at least a PPG player next year. He'll be playing top 6 for BC, who should be competing for the NCAA title again. He'll get PP time. I wouldn't be at all surprised with 30g 20a.
I think the scoring numbers will be there prob 30+ goals but what I'll be looking to hear is how his game defensively and away from the puck progresses. he made strides beyond what was expected of him and if he can increase his scoring AND make another leap in those areas then yea he's a no brainer to get signed next year assuming he's willing to. By all accounts he is. He had a great frosh season beyond what most frosh could expect, he's a 1st rounder for the NYR, was a goal scoring leader in the WJC, etc etc. What i love is how is he enjoying the success and likely ton of extra attention? He's on an intensive almost daily workout program and is attending that Blackhawks coaches camp.

As of right now a fantastic pick in last year's draft. Look forward to hearing about how he progresses just as much as I am grachev and Stepan, MDz, Artie and MZA.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 05:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

For those saying he didn't light up NCAA yet...

He scored at basically a goal per game pace the entire second half of the season.

Including big goals in the WJC, Beanpot, and NCAA Championships.

He isn't ready for pro-hockey full time yet. But after one more season at BC he will be.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:38 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
For those saying he didn't light up NCAA yet...

He scored at basically a goal per game pace the entire second half of the season.

Including big goals in the WJC, Beanpot, and NCAA Championships.

He isn't ready for pro-hockey full time yet. But after one more season at BC he will be.
I would still say he has to do it a full season. That said he showed he CAN score consistently at that level and I doubt he will have a problem doing it this upcoming season.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote