HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Cam Neely - Just how good was he in his prime?

Old
06-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Awesomesauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Iginla is the best modern comparison to Neely. But:

1) Iginla in his prime was a bit better offensively.
2) Neely was more intimidating. He was one of the most feared fighters in the league, while exhibiting offensive skills that weren't that far behind Iginla.
Iginla is a good skater with a very good shot, Neely scored 90% of his goals from within 10 feet. He was a doorstep player. I don't think there is a guy in the modern era like him or Tim Kerr.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
Neely scored 90% of his goals from within 10 feet. He was a doorstep player. I don't think there is a guy in the modern era like him or Tim Kerr.
Andreychuk was the king of the doorsteppers and agreed there is no one in the league currently like those 3 although Tyler Myers has the possibility.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 06-25-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 02:54 AM
allfive6

Send a message via Skype™ to allfive6
Dino Ciccarelli Kinda fit the bill as a scraps feeder pretty sure he one or twice build a house in front of nhl goalies

allfive6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Bougieman

He was like Joel Otto, except 10X more talented.

Wait, that doesn't help if you're a youngin'. Never mind.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
LostMyGlasses*

He was a monster, a machine, the hardest working player on the ice, a monster hitter that would drive like a bull to the puck, no matter where it was on the ice.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

He was so good that I named my middle son after him.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
99 steps
to the top

When healthy, dominating. But probably no more dominating than Tim Kerr, who gets much less recognition.

EDIT -- I see Kerr has been mentioned above.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Cam Neely was a tremendous player, however some of his best seasons may have been skewed a little since he did play with one of the best setup men of all time in Adam Oats.
Craig Janney was no slouch, either.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:36 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Iginla is a good skater with a very good shot, Neely scored 90% of his goals from within 10 feet. He was a doorstep player. I don't think there is a guy in the modern era like him or Tim Kerr.
Leclair was the last guy I remember who was a superstar player who cashed most of his goals from within 10 feet (Smyth as well, but he was never a superstar or a "top" player in the game).

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
he really doesnt
nobody really dominates the way lindros did, it was unique. but the ovechkin comparison isnt terrible? ovechkin has a lot of skill, like lindros, and also goes out of his way to throw a lot of hits, also like lindros. though hopefully he has a much longer career.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
JBIZ14

He was large..back in the summer of 89 got a call to come down to the local Jr. High for a pick up game of basketball...show up to see Neely and a bunch of old guys(my age now :S)..I was 13...he was huge. Wasn't a bad player either, definitely made the right career choice.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 05:24 PM
JTG

I think Cam Neely is overrated

[ducks for cover]

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think Cam Neely is overrated

[ducks for cover]
All retired players are romanticized (IE, overrated) to some degree.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
All retired players are romanticized (IE, overrated) to some degree.

That's not even close to an accurate statement imo, considering that you had to have actually watched those retired players play to "romanticize" them and 80-90% of the folks on these boards have not.

Usually it just ends up in a "stats war" and has little to do with the fashion in which they achieved them.
Yzerman vs Sakic is a prime example of this, in that on paper they are very similar but on the actual ice they were anything but. Yzerman's magic and the phenomenal excitement he generated is not reflected on a stats sheet.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
CamFan81
Derp

50 in 44
passionate, loyal, tough, could snipe you top corner then punch you in the fkn mouth

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:17 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cam Neely was a tremendous player, however some of his best seasons may have been skewed a little since he did play with one of the best setup men of all time in Adam Oats.
Sorry.

Totally wrong.

By the time Oates came along Cam was a shadow of his former self; skating on one leg.

Cam's prime was from '87 to '91.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:18 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Iginla is the best modern comparison to Neely. But:

1) Iginla in his prime was a bit better offensively.
2) Neely was more intimidating. He was one of the most feared fighters in the league, while exhibiting offensive skills that weren't that far behind Iginla.
This pretty much sums it up.

I would only add:

3. Cam was a bit more of a consistently physical player, taking the body more on a shift to shift basis than Iginla does.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Ha!

Utter nonsense.

Cam had one of the most devastating slap, and snap, shots in the league. he could, (and did), score from anywhere and everywhere inside the blue line.

He also scored on the rush quite consistently before the knee and hip injuries.

The only season he resembled Kerr during was his 50 in 44 year. I.E. - Playing on one leg.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Andreychuk was the king of the doorsteppers and agreed there is no one in the league currently like those 3 although Tyler Myers has the possibility.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Ha!

Utter nonsense.

Cam had one of the most devastating slap, and snap, shots in the league. he could, (and did), score from anywhere and everywhere inside the blue line.

The only season he resembled Kerr during was his 50 in 44 year. I.E. - Playing on one leg.
my memory of neely is the same as lextune's. he had a great wrist shot and could score off the wing like messier and goulet. it wasn't quite like the mid-stride shot of ovechkin or gaborik today where the goalie doesn't know when the puck is going to come off their stick, but those were different times. you had more time and space off the rush to really crank it and those three guys were three of the best i saw at taking advantage of the era's defensive style.

neely could also do what kerr did. and, for the record, andreychuk was the poor man's kerr. the very poor man's kerr, really. but he was the poor man's kerr for a very long time, and he should get points for being durable enough to withstand that much punishment (though not HHOF points, as he didn't do nearly enough). kerr's body certainly couldn't withstand all that standing in front of the net with potvin, robinson, langway, and all of the other big eastern conference crease clearers cross-checking him in the back. for their era, though, tkachuk was a much better version of this kind of forward than andreychuk ever was.

cam neely is unlike anyone today. iginla, as others have said, is the closest. but neely had this knack for scoring big goals, and he was a much more feared hitter (probably not because he was a better hitter, but because he did it a lot more often). eventually, guys like bertuzzi and thornton become perimeter players and rely on their skill instead of the power games that originally made them such special players. neely had the ability to play a more purely skill game, but he never did this, which shortened his career. i give him a lot of respect for that.

with iginla, he will score his goals. but in the third period of a close game, there's not the same feeling of inevitability that if he gets the puck on his stick, it's going into the back of the net. neely was one hell of a dangerous scorer, especially in the playoffs. i was a habs fan in the late 80s, and neely was the one guy in the eastern conference who scared patrick roy. scared the hell out of me too. until samuelsson, you really got the sense that cam was unstoppable when he wanted to be... which was all the time.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:16 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Wait...What?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:41 PM
BostonAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post

I remember him specializing in the slot. He had an uncanny ability to get there at just the right time and shoot one home.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Of course. He scored tons of goals from the slot area, I was just correcting the misconception that it was 90% of his goals. He was not a Tim Kerr type of scorer.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Canadiens1958

Cam Neely

Cam Neely was the second best power forward(RWer) that I have had the pleasure to watch. Best being Gordie Howe.

The major difference was that Cam Neely did not have a chance to develop his game and see it mature like Gordie Howe did.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Mackee

Pretty sure Cam Neely made me cry on several occasions as a kid. Always seemed like he had Roy's number. Hated that guy!

But yeah, he was a beast coming down the wing. Great shot. A shame he was plagued by injuries.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Sadly i was just a kid when Cam was in his prime, so never got a chance to see him. Just how good was he back in the day? Who was he comparable to? Lindros?
Best power forward for almost a decade. John Leclair was close to Cam, but if he had cam's passion for the game, he certainly didnt show it.

Nobody compared, IMO.

For a big man, he had incredible finesse and hockey sense.

IMO his 1994 season was by far his best, and it was basically on one leg.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote