HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11 Salary Cap/Lineup Discussion (contract chart post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
  #51
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
What do you guys think about Mike Modano for a top 6 wing position?

It looks like he will test FA before making a decision on retirement. He might be interested in making another run at the cup playing for a contender, and he would be cheap. He can still fly and skate great, he can still shoot and handle the puck well and he's been putting up good numbers in Dallas despite playing a checking role on their bottom 6.
I am absolutely fine with ANY skilled winger. What do you guys think of putting Malkin on a wing with Staal at center???

wtbipyo is offline  
Old
06-27-2010, 07:21 PM
  #52
Violent By Design
Registered User
 
Violent By Design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
I am absolutely fine with ANY skilled winger. What do you guys think of putting Malkin on a wing with Staal at center???
Malkin sucks at faceoffs, but he plays better in a center position.

Violent By Design is offline  
Old
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
  #53
Giant Yankee Pens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
I've posted this on some other threads. Like it or not this is Shero's Plan A Team:

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Bill Guerin ($1.000m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / * Sergei Gonchar ($5.000m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.779m; CAP ROOM: $0.758m BONUSES: $0.138m

Maybe switch Dupuis and Kunitz. It's not ideal but I can live with that as long as we make some deals for wings at the deadline.

Giant Yankee Pens is offline  
Old
06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
  #54
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
What do you guys think about Mike Modano for a top 6 wing position?

It looks like he will test FA before making a decision on retirement. He might be interested in making another run at the cup playing for a contender, and he would be cheap. He can still fly and skate great, he can still shoot and handle the puck well and he's been putting up good numbers in Dallas despite playing a checking role on their bottom 6.
Would certainly rather have him than Guerin but would rather have Whitney than Modano. But Modano is a character guy and probably has enough in the tank for one good run. If he'd sign for a year I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
06-27-2010, 11:35 PM
  #55
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,128
vCash: 500
The problem with Modano is he's another one of those guys who pretty much has to play center. Even when the Stars loaded up and did what we did and placed two centers on the same line, it was Ribeiro who moved to wing...not Modano.

Not on the radar at this time, imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
  #56
Violent By Design
Registered User
 
Violent By Design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The problem with Modano is he's another one of those guys who pretty much has to play center. Even when the Stars loaded up and did what we did and placed two centers on the same line, it was Ribeiro who moved to wing...not Modano.

Not on the radar at this time, imo.
True, and that was one of my concerns as well. I've always felt he was suited to play wing due to his speed, but I guess he has a case of Geno syndrome.

Violent By Design is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
  #57
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / *Vinny Prospal ($1.500m)
Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Pascal Dupuis($1.400m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Mark Letestu ($0.500m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kristopher Letang ($3.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Jordan Leopold ($2.000m) / * Milan Jurcina(or Aaron Ward) ($1.350m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $56.783m; CAP ROOM: $2.617m

This is my latest thought, I know people will freak out about that second line but its what Im currently thinking about. Theres easy contingencies if its not working.
Also Im specifically trying to leave enough space for a good deadline aquisition.

regard is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
  #58
Crosberry87
Registered User
 
Crosberry87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags68 View Post
I've posted this on some other threads. Like it or not this is Shero's Plan A Team:

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Bill Guerin ($1.000m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / * Sergei Gonchar ($5.000m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.779m; CAP ROOM: $0.758m BONUSES: $0.138m

Maybe switch Dupuis and Kunitz. It's not ideal but I can live with that as long as we make some deals for wings at the deadline.
I like it.

Since the lockout, we've really only had 1 free agent wing signing play well - Sykora's first year here. Rather than allocate 1 mill to fill this wing and 2 mill to fill that one, I like the idea of stacking the D and letting the kids play at wing. Even if they dont pan out, well, it wont be any different than last year at the position.

Crosberry87 is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 10:52 AM
  #59
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / *Maxim Afinigenov ($1.0m)
Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Mark Letestu ($0.500m)/ Pascal Dupuis($1.400m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Johnson ($.500)
DEFENSEMEN
* Sergei Gonchar ($5.00m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Lovejoy ($.525m / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
AHLer ($.525m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58-ish; CAP ROOM: $1.4m

This is my latest thought, I know people will freak out about that second line but its what Im currently thinking about. Theres easy contingencies if its not working.
Also Im specifically trying to leave enough space for a good deadline aquisition.
A few changes. I could live without Whitney if we can lock up Gonch for two years and Hamhuis. Afinigenov adds creativity and SPEED to our first line...FINALLY! Sid can't pull Billy G forever.

wtbipyo is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
  #60
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
A few changes. I could live without Whitney if we can lock up Gonch for two years and Hamhuis. Afinigenov adds creativity and SPEED to our first line...FINALLY! Sid can't pull Billy G forever.
Eh not my cup of tea.

For one thing I dont see why Afinegenov will sign for a million when he had a good season....

Im working on one now with Whitney and less capspace.
Dont see why Letestu gets the third line instead of Talbot, even though I like him alot and he played capably there for awhile. I think Talbot gets first dibs until Letestu proves hes better there.

regard is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:08 AM
  #61
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Eh not my cup of tea.

For one thing I dont see why Afinegenov will sign for a million when he had a good season....

Im working on one now with Whitney and less capspace.
Dont see why Letestu gets the third line instead of Talbot, even though I like him alot and he played capably there for awhile. I think Talbot gets first dibs until Letestu proves hes better there.
Yeah...but I'd rather have a strong D than a scoring O (Washington Caps anyone???).

Yeah...he will be a wild card this off season. I'd love for him to take a discount to play with us. He'd be fantastic with Geno or Sid.

I really think Whitney will strengthen us 5-on-5 and definitely in the PP. Could you imagine Whit-Sid-Geno-Gonch-whoever else you want? Disgusting the possibilities.

I imagine you're right here with Talbot starting out...but I really like Letestu to challenge, if not even surpass him early to mid-way through the year. Tangradi is a wild card...

wtbipyo is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
  #62
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Yeah...but I'd rather have a strong D than a scoring O (Washington Caps anyone???)
What part of my lineup or comments made you say this?
JW
If anything your alterations to my lineup took away a tougher forward in Prospal and added a floater instead. Took experience off the D by having Lovejoy start. And added Gonchar who no ones sure what type of Defense he'll bring.

Just saying.

regard is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM
  #63
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
What part of my lineup or comments made you say this?
JW
If anything your alterations to my lineup took away a tougher forward in Prospal and added a floater instead. Took experience off the D by having Lovejoy start. And added Gonchar who no ones sure what type of Defense he'll bring.

Just saying.
Johnsson. I like us otherwise...however, he might be what is needed to team with Orpik and give us a little O.

I just feel like if we can add Hamhuis...it will allow us to not abuse Gonch with too many minutes a game. It gives us TWO strong pairings...rather than ONE that we trust in crunch time. At some point we need to bring in some of our youth...none of them will prove anything if not given the time. However, I do agree that Gonch is a bit of a wild card.

Overall...I could live with this...but I think I'm really hung up on Whitney and what he could bring to this club.

wtbipyo is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
  #64
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Johnsson. I like us otherwise...however, he might be what is needed to team with Orpik and give us a little O.
Ah....now I see why I have no idea what your talking about...

Your confusing me and my lineup with WVP and his lineup.

regard is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
  #65
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Ah....now I see why I have no idea what your talking about...

Your confusing me and my lineup with WVP and his lineup.
HAHA! At this point...I think we're all confused with the numerous possibilities that have been thrown out in these forums . Is it July 1st yet??? GOSH!

wtbipyo is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
  #66
xlm34
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
O'Sullivan and Nillson will be put on waivers...might be worth a shot. Shero's gonna have to bring someone in cheap. Anyway I look at it, with Shero's plan A, the Pens will have probably 2 rookies (Lovejoy and one of Johnson/Jeffrey/TAngradi/Letestu/Petersen)

xlm34 is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
  #67
jdpitt05
Registered User
 
jdpitt05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
* Ray Whitney ($2.750m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Nick Johnson ($0.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Mark Letestu ($0.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Sergei Gonchar ($4.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Alex Goligoski ($1.833m) / * UFA ($1.000m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.379m; CAP ROOM: $0.158m BONUSES: $0.138m

jdpitt05 is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
  #68
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
* Ray Whitney ($2.750m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Nick Johnson ($0.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Mark Letestu ($0.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Sergei Gonchar ($4.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
* Dan Hamhuis ($4.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Alex Goligoski ($1.833m) / * UFA ($1.000m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.379m; CAP ROOM: $0.158m BONUSES: $0.138m
Fits under the cap, but realistically would not work. There is no room for call ups. You need at least 0.750K-1M in call up space realistically. Only way this would work would be no to sign Whitney and put Dupuis on that L2 LW spot or L1 RW spot...

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Tangradi - Malkin - Johnson


That literally hurt to type... *shudders in pain*

Not making fun of you, that top 6 is just painful...

EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
  #69
shureshot66
Global Moderator
 
shureshot66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,354
vCash: 500
not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but chris conner received his qualifying offer from the pens today, so he'll likely be back for next season.

as expected, jon d'aversa and aaron boogaard did not get QOs and are now both UFAs.

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=3167

shureshot66 is offline  
Old
06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
  #70
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlm34 View Post
O'Sullivan and Nillson will be put on waivers...might be worth a shot. Shero's gonna have to bring someone in cheap. Anyway I look at it, with Shero's plan A, the Pens will have probably 2 rookies (Lovejoy and one of Johnson/Jeffrey/TAngradi/Letestu/Petersen)
O'Sullivan would be a good reclamation project, but there is not telling if a change of scenery and start power would give him motivation. All the pieces are there for him to be a good player, just next to no motivation. You would think a chance to play beside Sid or Geno would motivate him... But its a gamble.

EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
  #71
Fraction Jackson
Registered User
 
Fraction Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Apparently Nigel Dawes is on waivers. Should the Pens claim him? For free, I think he's worth a shot.

Fraction Jackson is offline  
Old
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
  #72
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Its a lateral move but if we thought he would be as useful as Dupuis and we had a deal in place for Dupuis.....??

regard is offline  
Old
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
  #73
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
Apparently Nigel Dawes is on waivers. Should the Pens claim him? For free, I think he's worth a shot.
He put up 14 goals and 18 assists for 32 points on a offensively challenged/streaky Calgary team that only put up 204 goals total... He wouldn't be the worst option. But if we are actively pursuing Whitney then he will get the LW spot with Sid or Geno and then we have our LW solid with Kunitz, Whitney, Cooke, Dupuis, and Rupp.

No need to get another Dupuis to play off wing. But then again wouldn't hurt to claim him then we could just waive him again if we find a better solution.

Like I said, wouldn't be the worst idea out there right now. But there are far better ones.


Last edited by EdwardBlake: 06-30-2010 at 01:31 PM.
EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
  #74
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Its a lateral move but if we thought he would be as useful as Dupuis and we had a deal in place for Dupuis.....??
This isn't the worst idea ever and I don't even see it as a lateral move honestly.

Dawes has, what? A .850M cap hit?

So basically, we're gonna get the same production most likely, save about half a million dollars, plus probably get back something like the third rounder we dealt to the Flyers to get the rights to Hamhuis? Seems like an intelligent manuever more than anything....

vecens24 is offline  
Old
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
  #75
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
This isn't the worst idea ever and I don't even see it as a lateral move honestly.

Dawes has, what? A .850M cap hit?

So basically, we're gonna get the same production most likely, save about half a million dollars, plus probably get back something like the third rounder we dealt to the Flyers to get the rights to Hamhuis? Seems like an intelligent manuever more than anything....
Yeah thats what I was thinking.
Save a bit of money, get something for him(i still really want Stafford....) and replace him right away.
Not sure if Shero would do it, how it would look to the team.
But basically claim Dawes now, wait until later in FA to find a good trade for Dupuis.

regard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.