HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interest in Blake Wheeler

Old
06-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Belmonte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
I bet no deal is happening tonight involving the Leafs.
This. Sadly.....

Belmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
For the Maple Leafs to get Wheeler and their first back, if they have to take Ryder to make the money work then I would guess Burke has to do it. Tough pill to swallow though.
That's a horrible deal for the Leafs. Boston would love you guys taking the players we're trying to salary dump anyways. You could get a much better player for Kaberle.

Wheeler put on muscle last off-season and looked slower and more heavy footed this year. He definitely doesn't use his frame well, he's lazy, better in the defensive zone than most give him credit for. But all and all you'd be getting 2 mediocre 2nd line wingers and a 1st in a projected weak draft that may end up not even being that high for Kaberle! Is that really all you think he's worth?

As a Boston fan I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd all jump for joy if this happened. Maybe I'm wrong though.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Do you think Boston will go for it?
They would have to get Taylor Hall (something that I wouldn't be suprised to see), or strike a trade that sees Savard/Bergy go for a scoring winger and likely clear Tim Thomas' salary out for one of the $2.5-3.5m goalies.

Even then I woudl think that they would try and pawn Joe Colborne + Our First + Ryder for him, because Wheeler is problably going to make about $2.5m. Maybe Chiaerlli entices Burke with Hunwick to soften the demand for Wheeler over Colborne + Ryder.

edit: If I'm Burke and can snipe Hunwick out of it I problably make teh 2nd deal. Hunwick makes less than guy like Leopold and has some upside, so it soften's the blow of Ryder's $4m this year. Long term there's an outside chance that Ryder rebounds his production and actually becomes a keeper. Meanwhile we add Colborne (making other prospects expendable) and our first to use in an offer sheet or to trade for a LW.

Last edited by seanlinden: 06-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
mooseOAK*

I'm guessing that Howie wants someone to pay attention to him too. Wheeler isn't exactly a prime target for any team to target.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I really like Wheeler, and he has not hit his potential yet as a big scoring winger.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Slapshot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
That's a horrible deal for the Leafs. Boston would love you guys taking the players we're trying to salary dump anyways. You could get a much better player for Kaberle.

Wheeler put on muscle last off-season and looked slower and more heavy footed this year. He definitely doesn't use his frame well, he's lazy, better in the defensive zone than most give him credit for. But all and all you'd be getting 2 mediocre 2nd line wingers and a 1st in a projected weak draft that may end up not even being that high for Kaberle! Is that really all you think he's worth?

As a Boston fan I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd all jump for joy if this happened. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Not that I think it's a good deal for the Leafs, but the 1st does offer a little more value for us even if it is a weak draft. By re-obtaining their first draft pick, it opens up the possibility of giving an offer sheet to an RFA.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
I'd do Ryder, Wheeler and TML 2011 1st for Kaberle without even thinking twice.

Boston would need something else for sure.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
ThinMcWhistle

I like Wheeler a lot. He has the size and skill that I would envision on the second line. Ryder, not so much...

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
I'd do Ryder, Wheeler and TML 2011 1st for Kaberle without even thinking twice.

Boston would need something else for sure.
Not a chance. Dumping two players that were both horrible all year. Dumping a fat and horrible contract in Ryder. Giving up that pick is not an issue. And then we get the PMD we're missing for two non-impact players.

Having a defense of:
Chara - Kaberle
Seidenberg - Boychuck
Stuart - Ference
McQuaid

= Scary!

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:36 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjr View Post
Not sure if this has already been said, but Howard Berger said the Leafs have shown interest in Blake Wheeler today on "The Game Plan"
I sure hope not! The last thing we need is a 4th liner from Boston.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I sure wish our fourth liners got more points than Kulemin on our first line. That would be handy,

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

If we're dealing Kaberle to a division rival it's going to take more than Blake ****ing Wheeler.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I think the Leafs should try and trade, sign or draft every American player that comes up. Sooner or later they might hit gold.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
camperjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
If we're dealing Kaberle to a division rival it's going to take more than Blake ****ing Wheeler.
Thats a very good point. How about Joe Colburne with Wheeler and our 1st in 2011?

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I think the Leafs should try and trade, sign or draft every American player that comes up. Sooner or later they might hit gold.
I would have thought that after the whole "Captain Phaneuf is the Americaization of the Leafs" thing, you would have let that go. I guess not.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

people don't seem to realize th talent wheeler has would I do it stright up? no but adding Blake wheeler would be a nice peice Wheeler and Kessel could be a deadly combo in a couple years

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
Bruins fan here. Toronto would have to take a salary dump to make any deal like that work. Kaberle makes about $4 million and Wheeler will probably come in around 2-2.5 ... which Boston still can't fit. Toronto would have to take Ryder too.
Deal. Leafs have no one better, and Ryder's contract is only for 1 more year I think.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewhining View Post
I would have thought that after the whole "Captain Phaneuf is the Americaization of the Leafs" thing, you would have let that go. I guess not.

Don't forget his other gems, such as Burke being Toronto's GM for four years

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
GrrrTML

This Kaberle process is wearing so thin on my patience...

so much so that I'm willing to accept:

Ryder, Wheeler and our 2011 1st

just to get it over with!!!!!!!!!!

SOS to Burke...TRADE HIM TODAY OR EXTEND HIM enough is enough!

GrrrTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
WhatASaveDave

kaberle for wheeler and 2 2nd round picks

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Im Old Gregggg

i dont like the thought of wheeler as a centerpeice of any deal (unless something NICE is added)

not a fan of his at all: doesnt us his size, inconsistant, questionable loyalty and his contract is already what ? 2.5-3 mil?

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
the problem (and I'm sure this is hurting his value around the league and why Burke is getting lowballed) is that it's only one season of Kaberle the will be getting.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Not a chance. Dumping two players that were both horrible all year. Dumping a fat and horrible contract in Ryder. Giving up that pick is not an issue. And then we get the PMD we're missing for two non-impact players.

Having a defense of:
Chara - Kaberle
Seidenberg - Boychuck
Stuart - Ference
McQuaid

= Scary!
No way Boston would give up Wheeler, Ryder, and Leafs 2011 1st for Kaberle. Not..even...close.

Ryder doesn't have a "fat and horrible contract". He's overpaid, yes, but he's only got 1 year left. Wheeler is young and should only get better. And the 1st...well, considering they're picking #2 this year, what do you think the chances are that the pick will be fairly high.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Wheeler would be a top 6 on our team instantly.... he is in the elk of KULEMIN but with more of a scoring touch

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
seanlinden

Leafs fans have become so jaded by other teams sh#tty proposals that they don't realize what actually makes them a better team.

Wheeler is on the low end of what a team would want as a 2nd line winger, much like Kulemin....infact, it's a very reasonable comparison with the difference being that Wheeler has more offensive skill and is bigger, while Kulemin actually uses his size. For Burke to Kaberle for that, he'd have to be getting more than your average 1st round pick. Our 1st rounder is a bit more valuable than most because it can be used in the threat of offer sheets, and because it is not affected by us trading Kaberle to them. With Kaberle, their pick is projected to be bottom 4, without they're problably between 15-22.

So, that's a decent trade. The problem is that the Leafs only need 1 RW, so Ryder becomes basically a non-starter. It is for this reason that the B's would most likely prefer to part with Colborne + Hunwick. Rather than losing their cheap 2nd line winger with upside, they lose a bottom pair defenceman with upside and a high potential prospect on the left side; and get to dump Ryder's $4m to a team that has no problem taking it, especially if he rebounds a bit.

Both teams come away happy. Boston doesn't give up anything off their roster (that they don't want gone); Toronto gets a boost to the top 6 now, a semi-replacement for Kaberle, and plenty of futures with which to work.

The deal is basically Hunwick + Colborne + 1st for Kaberle with Ryder as a salary throw in, or Wheeler + 1st for Kaberle.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote