HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 15th pick, the Kings select Derek Forbort

Old
06-26-2010, 11:41 AM
kingpest19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Agreed. Someone over on letsgokings.com said he ran into Kabanov today...Kabanov said he thought the kings, sharks, and red wings showed the most interest. I can definitely see DL going after him.

To come out with Forbort and Kabanov would be as good as the Ducks Fowler/Etem picks, if not better.
You can see DL going after a guy like Kabanov? Kabanov seems like the last player DL would go after. The guy couldnt find a team to stay on this year, been through multiple agents and has a dad thats over bearing to put it lightly.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
Not too many defensemen come out of Minnesota high school and make it to the NHL. Brett Hedican and Phil Housley are the only two to have had a long NHL career so far. Those are a couple of good ones, but only 2 out of about 100 selected since 1979.
IF he can end up as good as either of those, I'll be stoked.

How are you doing by the way DARE?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
IF he can end up as good as either of those, I'll be stoked.

How are you doing by the way DARE?
Doing well. Just trying to get back into the swing of things. Thanx

06-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
Not too many defensemen come out of Minnesota high school and make it to the NHL. Brett Hedican and Phil Housley are the only two to have had a long NHL career so far. Those are a couple of good ones, but only 2 out of about 100 selected since 1979.
There also aren't many Slovenian hockey players in the NHL . Nice to see you posting here again btw.

As for Forbort, most of the fans have to make the separation between what the Kings need now and what they may need in the future. The immediate need is offense and wingers, whoever they draft today is not going to supply that. What they do on July 1 until opening night is going to address that need.

Forbort, who is likely 3-4 years away, has more upside than anyone else who was available at his position, which is why he's still considered raw talent with tremendous potential.

While adding an explosive winger would have been nice, it wasn't going to help the Kings now. The addition of Forbort only adds to the Kings' increasing crop of solid defensemen. By the time he is NHL ready, we won't know who will still be on the roster.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He was a steal of a pick. Good on Dean for staying focused and taking the best player available no matter emotions or theatrics. Dean is building the greatest defence this league has ever seen. Stick to the plan.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

You can't be upset when a guy that is in LA's Top 10 list is still available at 15. If you feel there is a significant drop-off at 9-10 and below, it's a smart move to make the trade and move up.

I was eating at ESPN Zone before the draft on the outside patio and Forbort and his family stopped next to us for several minutes as friends and family commiserated. Neither mysefl nor my friend the Ducks fan knew who he was but my friend tabbed him as a guy we would look for throught the draft. It was pretty amusing when they showed Forbort on the jumbotron and he was our guy. Hopefully he turns into stud and I can have a semi-cool story of seeing him on draft day with his family and cool gradnma who was dancing out there a bit.

As for the draft....what a snoozer.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He was a steal of a pick. Good on Dean for staying focused and taking the best player available no matter emotions or theatrics. Dean is building the greatest defence this league has ever seen. Stick to the plan.
Holy hyperbole.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
I wouldn't call a big part of the USNTDP U-18 team a "Minnesota HS defenseman" at this point.
Yeah, I don't know why he keeps getting that label. He tried out for the NTDP originally but didn't make it. He went back to HS and really worked on his skating and made it a strength and then got invited back to the NTDP and joined for the U-18 season and was a force. The kid played a USHL/NCAA/International schedule all year. That's a hell of a lot tougher than any Minnesota team.

His stock rose a lot this year and he did it under heavy competition (4 of his blue-line partners went in the Top 2 rounds this draft and 1 is a top prospect for 2011).

I've seen some of the NTDP staff compare him to Erik Johnson.

06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There also aren't many Slovenian hockey players in the NHL . Nice to see you posting here again btw.

As for Forbort, most of the fans have to make the separation between what the Kings need now and what they may need in the future. The immediate need is offense and wingers, whoever they draft today is not going to supply that. What they do on July 1 until opening night is going to address that need.

Forbort, who is likely 3-4 years away, has more upside than anyone else who was available at his position, which is why he's still considered raw talent with tremendous potential.

While adding an explosive winger would have been nice, it wasn't going to help the Kings now. The addition of Forbort only adds to the Kings' increasing crop of solid defensemen. By the time he is NHL ready, we won't know who will still be on the roster.
Gotta start somewhere, don't ya. Hoping he'll be the first Forbort inducted into the Hall of Fame.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
markisonfire

He sounds an awful lot like the guy we should have drafted at #12 overall a couple years ago...

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
He sounds an awful lot like the guy we should have drafted at #12 overall a couple years ago...

Zach Parise?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Fat Elvis

Where does he fit in HF's LA prospect pool? I'd guess #4-6 and a 7B-8C.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:34 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Where does he fit in HF's LA prospect pool? I'd guess #4-6 and a 7B-8C.
He should only be behind Schenn and Bernier for sure. You can then make the case between Forbort, Hickey, Voinov for the next three spots.

I'd put him at #3 though.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Holy hyperbole.
Seriously.

Our D prospects are good but give me a break.

I like the Forbort pick, a lot.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
When looking at the top 30 players this year, i'm must have skipped right over Forbort. That said, the more i read, the more i like this pick.
I think a lot of us were focused on forwards.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:46 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I just found an exclusive quote from Dean Lombardi expressing his thoughts on drafting defensemen:

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I just found an exclusive quote from Dean Lombardi expressing his thoughts on drafting defensemen:

Apparently, it's VERY exclusive.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I hung out after the draft, after I had moved to the area previously reserved for draftee family and team personnel members, and was right next to Daryl Evans and the Kings Vision crew. They grabbed Mark Yanetti and interviewed him about the picks. He explained that the staff had many, many different scenarios and in none of them was Forbort still on the board at or near 15 so to them it was a no brainer to grab him. So rather than draft for need or get BPA Best Player Available, he's more like a OHSA (OMG He's Still Available ).

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I hung out after the draft, after I had moved to the area previously reserved for draftee family and team personnel members, and was right next to Daryl Evans and the Kings Vision crew. They grabbed Mark Yanetti and interviewed him about the picks. He explained that the staff had many, many different scenarios and in none of them was Forbort still on the board at or near 15 so to them it was a no brainer to grab him. So rather than draft for need or get BPA Best Player Available, he's more like a OHSA (OMG He's Still Available ).
That's pretty amazing. What a wild night.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Who were the idiots that were booing the pick? I was shocked we picked him but to boo him? Come on now. That's just retarded.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Who were the idiots that were booing the pick? I was shocked we picked him but to boo him? Come on now. That's just retarded.
ducks fans?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
zeppelin97

Not down on the pick and not high, but have the Kings ever drafted a "Raw" player that developed into anything? "Raw" being a euphemism for sort of sucks now.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97 View Post
Not down on the pick and not high, but have the Kings ever drafted a "Raw" player that developed into anything? "Raw" being a euphemism for sort of sucks now.
"Raw" talent means the guy is just establishing himself and showing glimpses of what he may become. Boyle was "raw" in the sense that he was a dominating force against significantly smaller high school hockey players. A big miscalculation by the Kings' staff. My belief is that since they missed out on Hugh Jessiman that year (thankfully), they gambled on Boyle (unfortunately).

This is more along the lines of rolling the dice on a Tyler Myers like player who is still developing. He has ways to go to mature physically and mentally, but from all indications, his game has taken great strides over the past year.

We're going to see Forbort anchoring the U.S. blueline in the World Juniors come December.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:32 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
I think you've had your homer glasses on too long. There was obviously a serious need for scoring fowards that dropped Fowler down to 12th.
Whatever makes you feel better about the picks.

Teams passed on them for a reason.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Riofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
We're going to see Forbort anchoring the U.S. blueline in the World Juniors come December.
I look forward to it - We can actually check out the video feed for the Fighting Sioux home games.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSe...05&SPSID=58682

Riofan is offline   Reply With Quote