Notices

2012-2013 Trades Made

Old
05-10-2013, 01:23 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

vCash: 500
2012-2013 Trades Made

Joe got a lot of flak for some of the deals he made, lets review.

1) Ribeiro for Eakin + 2012 2nd Winner: Dallas

Eakin has solid 2nd -3rd line potential and we got a decent center prospect with the pick. Meanwhile, Ribs rejected a fat contract extension with the Caps and looks set to test the UFA market. I'd make this trade 10/10 times.

2) Ott + Pardy for Roy Winner: Dallas

While Roy didnt do much in his short stint with us, I consider this a win for Dallas because of the eventual return for Roy, and dumping Pardy's useless self on another team. Otter is missed, but while we were still shooting for the playoffs, a top 6 C > a 3rd line winger.

3) Ryder + 3rd for Cole Winner: Montreal

I understand what Joe was trying to do, but it didn't work out. Cole has had plenty of chances and has amazing speed, but isn't capitalizing and Ryder could've been used to get younger.

4) Morrow + 3rd for J Morrow + 5th. Winner: TBD- leaning Dallas

If the Pens win the cup, then the trade will be a win-win, as Morrow was all but done here in Dallas, and the star players in Pittsburgh make it easy for anyone to score. I don't think Brenden will be back with Pittsburgh next year, and Joe is a hell of a d prospect, so if Pitt doesn't win the cup, it's a win for Dallas in the trade.

5) Roy for Connauton + 2nd Winner: Dallas, big time

Connauton has rejuvenated his career in Cedar Park, and the Canucks were the first team eliminated in the playoffs, not to mention the 2nd round pick that Dallas will be getting. If Roy resigns with Vancouver, and it looks doubtful, then maybe the trade becomes a little less lopsided, but as it stands, Joe fleeced Gillis.

6) Jagr for cond. 2nd + MacDermid + Payne. Winner: Boston

I only say Boston wins this trade because I think we could have gotten a much better return if Joe wasn't looking to benefit Jagr in his destination. If Boston makes the ECF and the pick becomes a first rounder , then Dallas doesn't look too bad, but Boston would still win the deal.

7) Vincour for Gaunce. Winner: Dallas, in biggest landslide since Ribs/MTL trade

Gaunce is playing top line minutes in Austin, and had serious NHL potential for next year. HFavs were mystified why they gave up on Gaunce so quickly. And seriously, all it took was Tomas ****ing Vincour. I commend Joe for such a beautifully executed fleecing of our new division rivals.

In review, the last two years werent bad at all in terms of trading wise for Joe. However the Goose trade will always be a blemish on his tenure here, and the drafting of Glennie will be just the same.

-PS: Shouldn't have done this on an iPhone, my thumb is about to fall off.

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:46 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
For most of these it's absurd to be classing winners and losers already. As for the rest I wouldn't put any of them as clearly in Dallas' favor.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:48 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
For most of these it's absurd to be classing winners and losers already. As for the rest I wouldn't put any of them as clearly in Dallas' favor.
I agree with you except on the Roy-VAN trade.

Dallas dumped a guy they couldn't re-sign for two useful but not earth-shattering assets (close to the standard value for a soon to be a UFA). On the other hand, VAN essentially received no value from Roy. They can't afford to re-sign him so they can't even salvage the trade by locking him up to a new contract.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Joe got a lot of flak for some of the deals he made, lets review.

7) Vincour for Gaunce. Winner: Dallas, in biggest landslide since Ribs/MTL trade

Gaunce is playing top line minutes in Austin, and had serious NHL potential for next year. HFavs were mystified why they gave up on Gaunce so quickly. And seriously, all it took was Tomas ****ing Vincour. I commend Joe for such a beautifully executed fleecing of our new division rivals.

-PS: Shouldn't have done this on an iPhone, my thumb is about to fall off.
That is absurd. Vincour had 11 points in the final 6 Lake Erie games. So his performance in the AHL at the end is at least on part with Gaunce. Texas could probalby actually use Vincours offense right now more than they need Gaunces defense. Beyond all that we probably acquired a bottom pairing dman for a 3rd or 4th line RW. Hardly any great landslide victory.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Bluesoma

I agree with txomisc on the Vincour/Gaunce trade. I wouldn't say it's a win by either, more of a just a even thing.

Vincour was struggling in Dallas and wasn't fully into it in Austin (He had flashes but not often). Gaunce I heard was coasting and struggling at Lake Erie.

They both needed a change of scenery and it's working out for both.

As for the other trades, I'm going to hold off judgement until middle of next season at least, if not longer. This is mostly because nearly all the trades were for prospects who you have no idea if they'll pan out or not.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Ya the Avs could easily say the same thing about that trade. I think Gaunce will be an NHLer for us and has looked better than expected, but the team needed Vincour more than they needed another D-man prospect.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:43 PM
CorwiN

I think that trades should be looked at from an asset management perspective rather than a which team won/lost outlook. In that respect I think that Vincour for Gaunce is pretty good asset management, as it was clear that the situation had pretty much played out as far as Vincour as a Stars player/prospect. I'm not saying that Vincour couldn't have succeeded, but that succeeding in Dallas was extremely unlikely when he was traded.

And I don't think that we reasonably could have gotten anything better for Vincour.

I actually think that teams should make trades like that more often, but they don't because they're afraid of looking stupid when the eventual "bad" outcome happens and a traded player turns out to be really good/a star player. I think that, at least overall, teams would benefit from trading away prospects that have potential but have seriously stalled in an organization, rather than just sitting on them until they squash whatever talent remains.

CorwiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
cmwang

We didn't win the Ribs trade. It could be called a win-win, but he had a ppg season with the Caps, they have the 3rd seed, and look like they might just advance to the second round of the playoffs. I love Eakin and everything but that trade is not a clear cut win for us.

cmwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwang View Post
We didn't win the Ribs trade. It could be called a win-win, but he had a ppg season with the Caps, they have the 3rd seed, and look like they might just advance to the second round of the playoffs. I love Eakin and everything but that trade is not a clear cut win for us.
What was Ribs' future here? Eakin definitely has one, trading for a future like Eakin's is certainly a win.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
What was Ribs' future here? Eakin definitely has one, trading for a future like Eakin's is certainly a win.
He's simply saying that Washington didn't lose the trade...

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
haf

I think you have to look at trades as Dallas Value Out vs Dallas Value In instead of DAL vs WSH or whatever. Like golf, you are competing with yourself. What you give up versus what you get.
From that perspective, Joe crushed the Ribeiro trade IMO. Not that Wash got fleeced, but that we came out way ahead from the perpsective of what Ribeiro meant to the organization.

I think the Vincour/Gaunce trade is good in that we got like for like in two players that needed new scenery. Vincour has talent, it just wasn't working for him in Dallas for whatever reason. Good on Joe for finding a trade like that, or at least accepting one when it was offered.

While I agree with Piqued that it is near impossible and probably fruitless to judge trades this soon, there's no fun in being all mature about it.

And I do think that Joe, while laying a couple of pretty bad stinkers, mostly did well with these.

The organization is certainly in a much better situation than when he found it.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
^ I think that's the most important point.

Setting up the conversation as us vs. them doesn't make any sense, because by and large the teams we're trading with are not in remotely similar circumstances.

Washington accomplished their goals by acquiring Ribs and the Stars look like they will accomplish theirs by acquiring Eakin.

edit: If you want to apply that kind of thinking the Roy trade then you could say no, Vancouver didn't get the results they expected. So from that standpoint it would be pretty much impossible for the Stars to ever "lose" that trade. They haven't "won" it yet either though. Connauton looking good in the AHL is nowhere near enough to say that. It is a trade that made sense for the position the Stars were in so from that point of view it can't be bad since the value returned at the time appeared appropriate.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote