HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds select AUSTIN WATSON - 1st round - 18th overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2010, 11:25 PM
  #26
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I like this pick, but I don't love it. It's a classic Poile "safe" pick...but from the reports I've been reading going back to about mid-year, it sounds like we drafted a defensive specialist who might top out at 20 goals. I love his character, and obviously you need those guys...but the organization goes another year without picking a dynamic offensive player in the first round.

I did hear Poile is trying to pick up a second round pick, we'll see what comes of that.
How many dynamic players are available when picking at the 18th spot? I think those expectations are unrealistic. Dynamic players are Hall and Seguin, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, Crosby, etc. I don't think there was anybody we were gonna get at 18 that would've been dynamic. Etem maybe but that was a stretch at best. And don't get me wrong, but wouldn't you consider 20 points in 10 games to be dynamic?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
  #27
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 1088
Reading about this pick I think we got Colin Wilson pt 2. I wanted Etem, but Watson is just fine and plays more of a Preds style. I cant wait to see him in camp.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:31 PM
  #28
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
How many dynamic players are available when picking at the 18th spot? I think those expectations are unrealistic. Dynamic players are Hall and Seguin, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, Crosby, etc. I don't think there was anybody we were gonna get at 18 that would've been dynamic. Etem maybe but that was a stretch at best. And don't get me wrong, but wouldn't you consider 20 points in 10 games to be dynamic?
Wouldn't you say ten games is a relatively small sample size?

And there are plenty of dynamic offensive players...even in the second round. I think the Capitals got a steal in Kuznetsov, and my liking for Etem was well-known. They may not be "well-rounded," but I think we have enough two-way players that we can afford a floater or two.

With that said, I don't mind this pick. If he turns into Jordan Staal or Ryan Kesler....25 goal Selke candidate material...then obviously I'll love it. I just worry that we drafted a guy that sounds a lot like a lot of guys that have passed through our system...and even one that's currently the most controversial "defensive forward that should score more goals" on the team.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
  #29
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Reading about this pick I think we got Colin Wilson pt 2. I wanted Etem, but Watson is just fine and plays more of a Preds style. I cant wait to see him in camp.
I don't think he has nearly the offensive ability Wilson does, but on the flip side he's substantially better defensively. I can see the comparison in terms of "intangibles" though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
  #30
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Wouldn't you say ten games is a relatively small sample size?

And there are plenty of dynamic offensive players...even in the second round. I think the Capitals got a steal in Kuznetsov, and my liking for Etem was well-known. They may not be "well-rounded," but I think we have enough two-way players that we can afford a floater or two.

With that said, I don't mind this pick. If he turns into Jordan Staal or Ryan Kesler....25 goal Selke candidate material...then obviously I'll love it. I just worry that we drafted a guy that sounds a lot like a lot of guys that have passed through our system...and even one that's currently the most controversial "defensive forward that should score more goals" on the team.
10 games is a small sample size but if you read his bio he was on a loaded team before he got traded to Petersborough, had an ankle injury and then lit it up. His motor runs 110% all the time. Not saying he's a fancy pick but he is a well rounded two player that will probably light the lamp a fair amount. Etem may turn into a dynamic goal scorer but if his D was questionable, no way was Poile going to pick him. Poile and Trotz like good two way players that pay attention to detail. Sounds like this guy fits their mold pretty well. They also didn't move down because they seemed to target him from the start. The fact that he was there at 18 must've rocked their world.

We'll see if this is good or bad in a few years. I hope it's good but there are never any guarantees with any draft pick.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:54 PM
  #31
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
10 games is a small sample size but if you read his bio he was on a loaded team before he got traded to Petersborough, had an ankle injury and then lit it up. His motor runs 110% all the time. Not saying he's a fancy pick but he is a well rounded two player that will probably light the lamp a fair amount. Etem may turn into a dynamic goal scorer but if his D was questionable, no way was Poile going to pick him. Poile and Trotz like good two way players that pay attention to detail. Sounds like this guy fits their mold pretty well. They also didn't move down because they seemed to target him from the start. The fact that he was there at 18 must've rocked their world.

We'll see if this is good or bad in a few years. I hope it's good but there are never any guarantees with any draft pick.
Exactly, I think the disparity in scouting reports on Watson's offensive ability is part of the reason he dropped to #18 where the Predators were happy to snag him.

Watson was buried behind tons of depth in Windsor the past two seasons and injured his ankle at the CHL Top Prospects game blocking a shot. Now that would normally plummet a guy's stock, but Watson had the benefit of being traded during his recovery and found himself in a larger role with the Petes where he blossomed offensively with 9 goals and 11 assists in 10 games and also added two goals in the playoffs as well.

Austin still has two years of junior eligibility remaining due to his birthdate, so there is plenty of time for him to develop offensively where he will undoubtedly be looked upon with the Petes to carry some of the offensive load in the next two seasons. Right now we have a very detailed, two-way player that gives it 110% on every shift...hopefully he rounds out the offensive side of his game and we get the next Ryan Kesler or Jordan Staal in a few years...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
  #32
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake


Watson with his 7 brothers and 1 sister...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:56 AM
  #33
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think he has nearly the offensive ability Wilson does, but on the flip side he's substantially better defensively. I can see the comparison in terms of "intangibles" though.
I remember people only saying Wilson would be a 50 pt player with great defense, but I believe those 50 point estimates have rose.

Anyways I think Watson may have plenty of scoring ability. Is he the Hall/Seguin scorer at about 2 pts a game or just a decent player under a point per game. Right now Ill say Watson is a 40-50 point guy like Legwand, but he has the potential to grow quite a bit.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:02 AM
  #34
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
I like the pick very much. I think it could either wind up being the steal of the draft and people may look back and say they cant believe Austin Watson lasted til 18th overall, or he will just be a very solid Scott Hartnell player type of guy who shows up big when you need him to.

I think we got a solid player, definitely defensively, but potentially very much so offensively. 10 games, 20 points is pretty sick!

I think he has way more overall potential than any other guy we could have taken at 18th overall, and more than alot of guys taken before him.


My top 2 for us to draft was 1. Jeff Skinner 2. Austin Watson

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
  #35
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post


Watson with his 7 brothers and 1 sister...
And there's another Watson on the way.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:47 AM
  #36
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Who knows?

In related news, Poile likes 20 goals scorers more than 50 goal scorers:
http://www.section303.com/live-from-...first-day-5237

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:39 AM
  #37
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I like the pick very much. I think it could either wind up being the steal of the draft and people may look back and say they cant believe Austin Watson lasted til 18th overall, or he will just be a very solid Scott Hartnell player type of guy who shows up big when you need him to.

thats exactly who came to mind when i saw his style. Id be pleased if he turns into that but would be sooo amazed if he blossoms into a J Staal or a Ryan Kesler

more and more im looking forward to the future................I just wish it would hurry up!


Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 06-26-2010 at 03:40 AM. Reason: misspelledom
CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
  #38
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
agree with many. Like the pick right now, but i'm not terribly excited about it. Hopefully with a few more seasons of development, we can go from liking the pick to being downright giddy with it. We could end up looking back on it and wondering how the Preds ended up with the steal of the 2010 draft.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:54 AM
  #39
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Hard to understand, but interesting.


Great kid, great speaker


hecks ya!


and another




Last edited by ZombPred: 06-26-2010 at 08:41 AM.
ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:13 AM
  #40
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
thanks for posting the videos. Very mature kid, should be a solid addition down the road.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:15 AM
  #41
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
It seems like the right pick. He is a two way forward whose offense seems to be blossoming. He states that he wants to go to the net, wants to play a power-forward game, wants to emulate Franzen. These are the types of things that are so valuable. He won't be a sniper, but he might be a gritty two way guy that scores a lot of big goals.

His character seems amazing, he looks very mature physically....At 18, I think this is an excellent pick.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
  #42
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Who knows?

In related news, Poile likes 20 goals scorers more than 50 goal scorers:
http://www.section303.com/live-from-...first-day-5237
I thought the pick reminded me of Upshall for some reason...

Quote:
According to Channell, Upshall had been at the top of the list since May. Center/right wing Joffrey Lupol, another WHL product, who most experts thought Nashville might pick, went to Anaheim with the next pick.

"Scottie Upshall maybe doesn't score as well as Lupol right now, but the NHL is a different beast and we will see which one of them tames it," Channell said.
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...ne-whl-upshall

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:03 AM
  #43
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Only good move this off season was selecting this kid.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:41 AM
  #44
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think there's a reason he's not our director of scouting anymore.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:32 PM
  #45
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
What are the chances Watson dons an Admirals jersey this Fall? How long before he sees the ice in Nashville -- 2 years???

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:51 PM
  #46
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
What are the chances Watson dons an Admirals jersey this Fall? How long before he sees the ice in Nashville -- 2 years???
He has two years left of CHL eligibility so he won't be in Milwaukee unless it's after the Pete's season ends.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
  #47
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Very good profile and article from the New England Hockey Journal about our newest Predator Austin Watson...a good read...

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...fterinjury.php

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:27 PM
  #48
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
He has two years left of CHL eligibility so he won't be in Milwaukee unless it's after the Pete's season ends.
So does that mean he'll likely spend two more years in the CHL, or just that he can if he needs more development time. He is 18 years old isn't he. What do you think his progression will be? Seems like the question I see most for first round picks is "will he make the NHL roster, or does he spend time in the AHL?" And based on your response he is at least two years from anytime in Nashville.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:51 PM
  #49
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
So does that mean he'll likely spend two more years in the CHL, or just that he can if he needs more development time. He is 18 years old isn't he. What do you think his progression will be? Seems like the question I see most for first round picks is "will he make the NHL roster, or does he spend time in the AHL?" And based on your response he is at least two years from anytime in Nashville.
Yes, Watson is likely two years away from Nashville at a minimum. NHL-CHL eligibility rules are that a player must be 20 years old by December 31st of the year that the season starts (ie: 2010-11 season birth year is 1990) or have had played 4 years in the CHL prior to the start of the season. Watson currently only has 2 years of CHL experience and unfortunately...his birthdate falls outside the window.

That being said, just like Ryan Ellis, the Predators will not start his clock ticking on his ELC unless he is completely ready and able to contribute nightly at the NHL level. Therefore, it's highly unlikely either Ellis or Watson will start their pro careers until they complete their remaining two years of CHL eligibility.

At the point that they begin their pro careers though...both Ellis and Watson will have much shorter windows before joining the Predators full-time and likely will see time in the NHL prior to the completion of their first pro season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
  #50
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, Watson is likely two years away from Nashville at a minimum. NHL-CHL eligibility rules are that a player must be 20 years old by December 31st of the year that the season starts (ie: 2010-11 season birth year is 1990) or have had played 4 years in the CHL prior to the start of the season. Watson currently only has 2 years of CHL experience and unfortunately...his birthdate falls outside the window.
It actually has nothing to do with the NHL; the eligibility rules are an agreement between the CHL and the AHL to prevent NHL teams from immediately signing draft picks and putting them in the AHL after drafting them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.