HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

RW Beau Bennett
Pittsburgh Penguins
First round, #20 overall

6-foot-1, 175 pounds
Shoots right
Penticton (BCJHL) headed to Denver University (WCHA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremiumScouting.com
Beau Bennett really emerged onto the scene this year as a great pure goal-scorer. He plays the game with an excellent sense of where the puck is going to be and gets into open spaces to get set for goal-scoring opportunities. He is constantly hovering around the high slot, especially on the powerplay, Bennett has a fantastic shot that he can get off in a flash. On the man advantage, he exhibited decent puck distribution abilities, holding the puck on the left side and moving the puck to an open man before sliding into scoring position. His skating is fine, lacks high-end bursts but he can get up and down pretty well. His physical game is a major issue, as he shies away from anything that resembles physicality and if he wants to hang around in goal-scorer’s areas at the next level that has to change. This is especially an issue since he was in the BCHL, how he fares in the NCAA when he suits up for Denver next year will be interesting to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Draft Notes Blog
Skating: 65 / Skill: 70 / Sense: 75 / Compete: 40 / Toughness: 35

Strengths: Great vision and offensive instincts. Tremendous hands. Good skater.

Weaknesses: Plays the game on cruise most of the time. No physical game and avoids the high traffic areas.

--

The Nintendo numbers jump right out at you. So does the creativity and skill when you see him live. But after several viewings, the doubts creep in a bit.

The offensive ability is some of the best available in this draft. Great all-around offensive skills - terrific shot, excellent stickhandling, and great vision. Always seems to find open linemates with a crisp pass. Excellent shooting touch with a quick release and good accuracy. Has a wicked one-timer and can score in a lot of ways.

Deceptively good skater, with very agility and top speed. Long stride, but first couple steps are only okay. Very shifty and can handle puck really well when he gets going at top speed. Comes back hard defensively when his team needs it, but for the most part the Vees only needed him and Denver Manderson hanging out high in the zone ready to do their thing when the puck came to them.

Does not display a real high energy/effort level. Very slight build and will need to get stronger. Speed and agility allowed him to pretty much never get challenged physically in this league - and that is a big unknown. You'd like to see how a guy handles being hit and having less space to work with. We won't find out with this guy until he moves to the next level.

Wasn't until the 2nd round (Westside) and conference finals (Vernon) where the opposition provided tighter checking defense. Penticton head coach Fred Harbinson split Bennett and Manderson (who seemed to have such chemistry together the whole season) into separate lines in those playoff series, and had Bennett center his own line (despite playing RW for most of the season). Still don't understand that move, as Bennett struggled at that position and was very underwhelming.

Was very high on this guy for most of the season, but the disappearing act late highlighted the boom-or-bust risk of this player.

Summary: His stick-to-the-perimeter act and struggles late in the playoffs were a big red flag for me. I had visions of Ivan Huml dancing in my head after that. But there might be only two or three guys in this draft that have better hands. Ultra high risk, high reward - either he turns into a 1st/2nd liner for you or takes his perimeter show to the European pro leagues for the rest of his career. If it got to about the 22-25 range and Howden was gone, I'd roll the dice on this guy.

Draft Day: I think there's a consensus on him in the 20-30 area. But he's got the kind of offensive ability that I could see a team falling in love with and getting paranoid about missing out on - so a surprise appearance in the middle of the first round (13-20) isn't out of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Writers
Beau Bennett should feel right at home at the Staples Center during the draft – the California native first stepped on the ice for the El Segundo Regents, was part of the 2006 Under-14 National Champion California Selects, and played for the LA Junior Kings during the 2008-2009 season before going to the BCHL.

Beau is one of the true wild cards in this draft and it will be interesting to see where he lands in the draft. He has a tantalizing offensive skillset and game breaking ability and just completed one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the BCHL. The problem was it was in the BCHL. The league has been producing players at a higher rate in the past number of years, but there is still the question of competition and how Bennett’s game will translate against tougher competition. However, his elite skating and scoring ability is garnering plenty of attention and he shouldn’t have to wait too long to hear his name called in the City of Angels.

Bennett will start as a freshman at Denver University in the fall.

Scout’s Honor:
“Good size winger destined to follow maybe in the footsteps of one-time BCHL scoring leader Kyle Turris during his junior year.”
– E.J. McGuire, Director NHL Central Scouting

“Outstanding hockey sense. Sees the ice extremely well. Quarterbacks a very good PP. Plays up high in the middle on the umbrella on the power play and always seems to make the right play whether it’s a great pass or gets his shot through. There are concerns about his fitness at this point, but these concerns are quick fixes. Makes a great first pass out of his own end and does a good job of joining the rush to create more offense.”
- International Scouting Services 2010 NHL Draft Guide

“He hasn’t come close to filling out yet. He has to get stronger because if he doesn’t get stronger, he won’t play.”
- A scout in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

“Has all the offensive tools – skating, playmaking and a wicked shot. Deceptive skater with good top speed, a long stride and lateral quickness that makes him very slippery. Can score in a variety of ways. Has a big 1-timer and very quick release with laser accuracy on his wrister. Good backchecker and uses speed effectively on the forecheck. Slight build and needs to add upper body strength, as he tends not to get physically involved at all. Has top ten skills, but we have concerns about how he’ll adjust to the next level.”
– Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

“Beau has put together one of the best rookie seasons in BCHL history. His offensive instincts are in a class of their own.”
- Penticton Vees GM and head coach Fred Harbinson

Current Season:
2009-10: Bennett led the BCHL in scoring, earning 41-79-120 totals in 56 games – averaging 2.14 points per game, with 25 goals on the power play – making him the only BCHL rookie to record 100 or more points in a single season in seven years. He played in 15 playoff games with 5-9-14 totals.

NHL Potential: Dynamic Offensive Forward

NHL Player(s) Comparison: Tyler Bozak (Note: Bozak only scored 31 points as an 18-year-old in the BCHL, but Bennett had 120), Bobby Ryan, Travis Zajac
...more to come.

Last edited by shureshot66: 06-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I gotta admit...#78? That's ****ing awesome.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Burgs

NHL Draft Notes profile here.

"Ultra high risk, high reward - either he turns into a 1st/2nd liner for you or takes his perimeter show to the European pro leagues for the rest of his career."

Probably should note that his talent ratings are on a scale of 20 to 80, not 0-100.

Last edited by Burgs: 06-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Sounds like his physicality is atleast 2 years away. This pick was a real enigma.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Going in 75% of us wanted a high risk winger. We got it. I'm content.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I officially hate Bryan Murray. Thought we had a legit shot at Tarasenko and they obviously weren't picking him.

Anyway this guy does have exactly what we're missing: pure shooting ability / great wrister / one-timer / good hockey sense. Ironically despite the Disco penchant for grit, this guy displays none of that so far. My only concern is the league he was is in is a joke compared to the better Canadian leagues sounds like. Those numbers are destined to drop in the NCAA, only question is how far.

If this guy develops his physique and all-around game I'd say 4 years minimum before he suits up. 2-3 in Denver, at least 1 in the AHL given his lack of physicality / need to be tested in that kind of environment. Sort of a crap shoot like Big Bob says. Not thrilled with the lack of pedigree but WTF at least there's a very big upside potentially.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
NHL Draft Notes profile here.

"Ultra high risk, high reward - either he turns into a 1st/2nd liner for you or takes his perimeter show to the European pro leagues for the rest of his career."

Probably should note that his talent ratings are on a scale of 20 to 80, not 0-100.
"Weaknesses: Plays the game on cruise most of the time. No physical game and avoids the high traffic areas"

Terrific, just what we need.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM

meh...

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
"Weaknesses: Plays the game on cruise most of the time. No physical game and avoids the high traffic areas"

Yeah, saw that too. I don't feel good or bad about this pick and I'm only hoping for the best luck that he will develope in that physical side.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
vecens24

Pick doesn't bother me at all. If we're going high-risk, high-reward I would have rather had Kabanov but whatever. It's exactly what everyone on this board wanted. When Bjugstad got taken, and Watson, and then Tarasenko I expected something along these lines.

Also would have rather had Etem because I think he's just sweet.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

That can change (physicality) as he strengthens up and gains confidence, but it surprised me because it seems so opposite of what Disco is always looking for and Shero saying Disco has such an effect on who they draft. Strange.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Krom

What's the Denver program and coaching like?

Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post

I can understand him. ~175 lbs, he's only a bit bigger than myself.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Staal4Futures

I'm sold.

He can QB a PP and I'll get to watch him play a dozen or so times this winter.

Staal4Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Not going to bash this pick at all. He'll take sometime... but I'm glad Shero did what was needed: take a high risk, for a potentially high reward.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

bob mckenzie talks to dozens of NHL scouts to put together a top 60 list before each draft, which is based on the opinions of said scouts, not mckenzie himself. bennett came in at #18 overall, and here was the write-up:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie: Another native Californian, from Gardena, who could be the talk of the draft if he gets selected as high as some teams have his ranked. A true wild card, cited as everything from Top 10 overall to the late second round, he scored 120 points for Penticton of the BCJHL. Still physically immature, he could suffer from “weaker league” syndrome but he’s bound to be one of the really interesting stories of this draft.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Staal4Futures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
Right in line with BC, Minnesota, etc.

Staal4Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:10 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Has anyone seen the kid play? (not a rhetorical soap box question, but a real question)

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Historically Denver has a very good hockey program. Not sure how successful they've been lately.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I agree I like the home run nature of the pick, considering what was left.

Sometimes you gotta go for it.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I can understand him. ~175 lbs, he's only a bit bigger than myself.
You're a real bruiser.

I'm thinking power forward.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Historically Denver has a very good hockey program. Not sure how successful they've been lately.
I know that they showed a lot of their games on my cable provider. So I am happy that I will get to see him regularly.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRiggins View Post
I'm sold.

He can QB a PP and I'll get to watch him play a dozen or so times this winter.
You'll have to post some updates when the time comes.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It had to be done, imo. At some point we needed to take a gamble on a winger and this seems to be the guy. He is a boom or bust pick, but I'm fine with that. The risk is worth the reward. He's American and won't be bolting back to Russia like some of the other boom or bust wingers we could have taken.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
CallingArnoldSlick

Quote:
One of the best in the nation. His school choice is a positive.

CallingArnoldSlick is offline   Reply With Quote