HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I don't really see why we took this guy as a risk pick over Kabanov. I mean, you draft the best player available, and if it weren't for the skewed attitude problem he probably would have gone top 5. The kid is only 17
This is such a tired, lame-ass excuse (no offense but it is). Did you watch any of the draft? ALL of these kids are 16-18 years old and most of them handle themselves in an extremely professional and mature way. They are *more* mature than their peers in most cases, I'd guess. And it's like this every frickin year. Most of them act like young men and not mature boys. Most of them never came close to being kicked off one team, let alone two, let alone get dropped by an agent. People talk as if this "immature at 17" thing is the norm. It's not. It's the exception with these kids.

As I said before, makes not one God-damned bit of difference WHY he is the way he is, or the way his Dad is... it only matters that he is that way and that barring a massive change to who he surrounds himself with and who mentors him, not much will change. Sure he'll mature some like any person but all the rest will remain. The lack of understanding about his position in the world, the insecurity and whatever else. His dad is obviously a complete jack-ass and has likely spoiled this kid at every turn and filled his head with all the wrong ideas about how wonderful he is and how entitled he is to success. That doesn't just go away because you age from 17 to 19.

Screw Kabanov. Much happier to get this other kid who clearly has his head screwed on straight and is going to a great program in Denver to build up his physique and all-around game. He may only have 92% of Kabanov's raw talent (oh noz!) but he's got about 10x the chance of succeeding in this league without causing problems for whatever team he plays for.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-27-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
This is such a tired, lame-ass excuse (no offense but it is). Did you watch any of the draft? ALL of these kids are 16-18 years old and most of them handle themselves in an extremely professional and mature way. They are *more* mature than their peers in most cases, I'd guess. And it's like this every frickin year. Most of them act like young men and not mature boys. Most of them never came close to being kicked off one team, let alone two, let alone get dropped by an agent. People talk as if this "immature at 17" thing is the norm. It's not. It's the exception with these kids.

As I said before, makes not one God-damned bit of difference WHY he is the way he is, or the way his Dad is... it only matters that he is that way and that barring a massive change to who he surrounds himself with and who mentors him, not much will change. Sure he'll mature some like any person but all the rest will remain. The lack of understanding about his position in the world, the insecurity and whatever else. His dad is obviously a complete jack-ass and has likely spoiled this kid at every turn and filled his head with all the wrong ideas about how wonderful he is and how entitled he is to success. That doesn't just go away because you age from 17 to 19.

Screw Kabanov. Much happier to get this other kid who clearly has his head screwed on straight and is going to a great program in Denver to build up his physique and all-around game. He may only have 92% of Kabanov's raw talent (oh noz!) but he's got about 10x the chance of succeeding in this league without causing problems for whatever team he plays for.
Amen. I can't believe people are still complaining about not taking Kabanov. It's over with anyways, move on. Bennet has a ton of skill and potential that people should be excited to see in the Penguins lineup as well. The only part that sucks is it'll be a few years until we see it, but it could very well be worth it.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Nothing against Beau, but I would have traded this years 1st.

It was terribly over-valued, I think this years draft wasn't worth holding onto a 1st when you could have used it for a trade to get some instant help to the line-up.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot Time View Post
Nothing against Beau, but I would have traded this years 1st.

It was terribly over-valued, I think this years draft wasn't worth holding onto a 1st when you could have used it for a trade to get some instant help to the line-up.
Given our cap situation though, and the fact that we're in the midst of negotiating with two high-priced defensemen, there's a lot that's up in the air in terms of who we'd be able to accommodate.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Re: Kabanov - I'm glad we didn't draft him in the first round (there was about a zero percent chance we were going to anyways), but I definitely would have looked to trade up when he was still available in the third round. At that point the upside greatly overrides the downside.

It really was incredible how far he fell though. Teams seem to value character and integrity more than any of us will ever understand.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:29 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
The fact that he came over to NA to play juniors because he knows it would be better for development speaks volumes in itself. He obviously wants to play in the NHL, and with the right guidance he is going to excel, too bad it won't be in a Penguins sweater. I just don't see how you can pass on his raw skill and hockey sense.
From the things I've read, and them asking him questions about the NHL, all the answers he gave were something along the lines of "I just want to be drafted high, because that never changes, and it shows how good of a hockey player you are." Never did he ever speak of playing the NHL, but just being drafted high. I didn't notice this initially, but my brother did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Re: Kabanov - I'm glad we didn't draft him in the first round (there was about a zero percent chance we were going to anyways), but I definitely would have looked to trade up when he was still available in the third round. At that point the upside greatly overrides the downside.

It really was incredible how far he fell though. Teams seem to value character and integrity more than any of us will ever understand.
I would have definitely tried to move up in the 3rd. I just don't know what that would have costed us.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
From the things I've read, and them asking him questions about the NHL, all the answers he gave were something along the lines of "I just want to be drafted high, because that never changes, and it shows how good of a hockey player you are." Never did he ever speak of playing the NHL, but just being drafted high. I didn't notice this initially, but my brother did.
Wasn't that Alexandre Daigle who said that stuff?

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:38 AM
vecens24

Interesting tweet from McKenzie about the first round pick of Bennett....

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bennett upsets Etem as first SoCal. No surprised PIT went for skill, but a work in progress. Think PIT was going Tarasenko if he was there.
Would have loved Tarasenko for sure...

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Would have loved Tarasenko for sure...
Tarasenko would have been great, but when the Euro-loving Blues traded back into the first, I knew it was all over for that possibility.

I would love for the Pens to get a guy like Jarmo Kekalainen... the Pens need to turn into a team that finds players others would miss. It costs nothing against the cap and it would ensure a constant influx of top-line talent.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
JTG

Yeah, Tarasenko would have been the ****.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Tarasenko would have been great, but when the Euro-loving Blues traded back into the first, I knew it was all over for that possibility.

I would love for the Pens to get a guy like Jarmo Kekalainen... the Pens need to turn into a team that finds players others would miss. It costs nothing against the cap and it would ensure a constant influx of top-line talent.
I turned into a big Jarmo fan when they did that behind-the-scenes draft special with the Blues, i think it was for 2006. He's one of those guys i could sit and listen to him talk hockey for hours.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
stefanh

Beau will be on NHL live in about 10 minutes.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Wasn't that Alexandre Daigle who said that stuff?
He said he was happy to have been taken 1st overall "because nobody remembers #2". The next player drafted was Chris Pronger.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
He said he was happy to have been taken 1st overall "because nobody remembers #2". The next player drafted was Chris Pronger.
For all the flak Daigle catches about being a bust - that cat did pretty well in life...

He got to play hockey all around the world, is independently wealthy and got to bang Pamela Anderson before she became 100% recyclable.

He also started a production company named.... ready for it....

Impostor Entertainment

All in all, I'd say it was better than working at Circus Burger...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Jag68Sid87

A few years ago, the story on Daigle goes as such. He had that production company and his partner was a former MLB pitcher named Derek Aucoin, a Montrealer. Daigle and Aucoin booked Sheryl Crow to play a street concert as part of the festivities of the FI race here. Well, from what I was led to believe, Miss Crow never got paid and the company's rep was shot.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
A few years ago, the story on Daigle goes as such. He had that production company and his partner was a former MLB pitcher named Derek Aucoin, a Montrealer. Daigle and Aucoin booked Sheryl Crow to play a street concert as part of the festivities of the FI race here. Well, from what I was led to believe, Miss Crow never got paid and the company's rep was shot.
You trying... you trying to tells me that Impostah Entertainment iz shady?

I call BS.

Link?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

MacKenzie believes the Penguins were dead set on getting Tarasenko and tried to trade up (unsuccessfully, obviously) to get him in the 1st.

Dammit.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You trying... you trying to tells me that Impostah Entertainment iz shady?

I call BS.

Link?
It's slimmer than shady.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
MacKenzie believes the Penguins were dead set on getting Tarasenko and tried to trade up (unsuccessfully, obviously) to get him in the 1st.

Dammit.
If we were interested in this particular Russian winger, does that mean we're interested in Russian wingers in general?

Ray, go with your instincts. If you were thinking Tarasenko would make a great winger for Geno eventually, keep that same thought in mind on Thursday afternoon!

Old
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If we were interested in this particular Russian winger, does that mean we're interested in Russian wingers in general?

Ray, go with your instincts. If you were thinking Tarasenko would make a great winger for Geno eventually, keep that same thought in mind on Thursday afternoon!
That's the kind of thinking that landed us Fedotenko for one more year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
That's the kind of thinking that landed us Fedotenko for one more year.
The Ukraine is weak. I'm talking about Russians.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
puck swami

The Denver program has turned out over 60 NHLers over the years, including former Penguins GM Craig Patrick (captained Denver to the 1968 and 69 NCAA titles), Keith Magnuson, Hall of Famer Glenn Anderson, and All-Star Kevin Dineen. The most recent Pioneers to make an impact in the NHL are 2006 Hobey Baker Winner Matt Carle, who is paired with Chris Pronger on Philadelphia's top d-pairing, Colorado Avalanche standout and 2010 US Olympian Paul Stastny, and fast-climbing Leafs Rookie star Tyler Bozak, who like Beau Bennett, led the BCHL in scoring before coming to Denver.

The Pioneers, WCHA Champions last season, usually play about 20 games a year on Fox Sports-Rocky Mountain, so if you have a sports package on your dish or cable, you'll be able see a lot of him this year on the tube.

Bennett will see a ton of ice time this year and figures to be on the first PP unit as well. Coach George Gwozdecky and his staff will give him every opportunity to play, as this years team lost some key players to NHL signings - Joe Colborne (1st round) signed with the Bruins, Patrick Wiercioch (Second Round) signed with Ottawa, Marc Cheverie (7th round) signed with Florida, Rhett Rhakshani (4th round) signed with the Islanders.

If you are interested in the Pioneer Program, the official web site is www.denverpioneers.com, and the best DU news compilations appear daily on www.letsgodu.blogspot.com

puck swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
On an unrelated note, I've always wondered two things about NCAA college hockey:

1- Why is their regular season schedule so short? Is it primarily to concentrate on the academic aspect? Or ...?
2- Why don't all college teams play the same number of games?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
puck swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
On an unrelated note, I've always wondered two things about NCAA college hockey:

1- Why is their regular season schedule so short? Is it primarily to concentrate on the academic aspect? Or ...?
2- Why don't all college teams play the same number of games?
College hockey has a shorter season for a number of reasons;

1) Academics- With mostly weekend games it allows you to concentrate on school. There are also travel realities for Western schools that must fly to most games, so midweek games are harder..

2) Practice - College players practice at about a 3 practices for each game ratio in season. Major Junior is more like 1-1 in season, so the college player gets more time to work on fundamental skills and systems.

3) Weight traiining - The college game has more time for the weightroom in season, since you have more time between games

4) Games mean more - College hockey can be very intense becuase you've been preparing for a week to play on th weekend.

5) Most college teams play 36-38 games plus playoffs. Ivy league plays a shorter schedule for academic reasons (they start later)

Hope this helps!

puck swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck swami View Post
The Denver program has turned out over 60 NHLers over the years, including former Penguins GM Craig Patrick (captained Denver to the 1968 and 69 NCAA titles), Keith Magnuson, Hall of Famer Glenn Anderson, and All-Star Kevin Dineen. The most recent Pioneers to make an impact in the NHL are 2006 Hobey Baker Winner Matt Carle, who is paired with Chris Pronger on Philadelphia's top d-pairing, Colorado Avalanche standout and 2010 US Olympian Paul Stastny, and fast-climbing Leafs Rookie star Tyler Bozak, who like Beau Bennett, led the BCHL in scoring before coming to Denver.

The Pioneers, WCHA Champions last season, usually play about 20 games a year on Fox Sports-Rocky Mountain, so if you have a sports package on your dish or cable, you'll be able see a lot of him this year on the tube.

Bennett will see a ton of ice time this year and figures to be on the first PP unit as well. Coach George Gwozdecky and his staff will give him every opportunity to play, as this years team lost some key players to NHL signings - Joe Colborne (1st round) signed with the Bruins, Patrick Wiercioch (Second Round) signed with Ottawa, Marc Cheverie (7th round) signed with Florida, Rhett Rhakshani (4th round) signed with the Islanders.

If you are interested in the Pioneer Program, the official web site is www.denverpioneers.com, and the best DU news compilations appear daily on www.letsgodu.blogspot.com
Nice. I forgot Stastny played for Denver. It's good to see that the university has pumped out some quality NHL players, so it's just time to sit back and see how he responds to the tougher competition.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote