HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
I'm leery of BCHL picks and have no idea about Bennett.

I guess we'll see. Kind of an anti-climactic 1st round, but I guess all our main targets were already selected.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:15 AM
Jaded-Fan

“We saw a kid that had exceptional skills already and a lot of potential to be an offensive player at the NHL level,” said Heinbuck, who admitted to being nervous that Bennett would get selected ahead of Pittsburgh’s pick. “We were excited to get him.

“He’s fun to watch. He’s one of those guys that when he gets into flight his jersey ripples. You can tell by my smile that we’re excited to have the kid because there’s such a potential to have a skill package at pick No. 20.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532875

At least on the videos of the kid you did see a lot of what they were talking about, some true skill and talent. The knocks on the kid, seemed lazy and disinterested at times are disturbing but could be partly a product of the low level of competition. We should get some indication of what we have starting next year with the higher level of competition.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Vyruz Reaper

can anyone tell me whats wrong with this page(beside the fact its espn's coverage on the nhl)??

http://espn.go.com/nhl/draft

Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Cool

Seems like a talented kid.. bit of a high risk, high reward. Going to an excellent program at Denver. Look forward to following his development.
Thats a big sell to me. D has a quality staff and won't ruin him. There are a few big time schools that I flat out don't trust at all.

Even though I badly wanted Tinordi, I'm really excited with this pick. IMO the Pens need skill in all areas. If they want to go with DB long term they're going to need skill on the wings because of his system. They've been darfting character long enough and have a nice collection of those kinds of players. They can go back to that mindset next year when the draft is shallow.

Lots of teams with a bunch of 2nd rounders.... lets hope that Shero can nab another player in the top 60-75.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:18 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The video they had for this kid makes him look 4-5 years off the NHL. My initial thinking is the pick sucked and I like last year's pick better and we had 10 spots improvement.

Obviously the scouts know a lot more than me and i don't pay attention to that league what-so-ever.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I thought they'd take either Tinordi or Howden. Both seemed like safer picks, but I have no problem with rolling the dice on a sniper like this.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:29 AM
maxpenguins6630

When you look at Beau Bennett you can see another Keven Veilleux... I mean he has good skating even if he looks slow... A big wingspan and both have great shots... Seeing Bennett on a video I was impressed by his skillset but I mean you don't have to miss on your first round pick... I mean no russian of course but I think Etem by his work ethic will be better... Though I think the untapped offensive upsides of Bennett combined with the start of off-ice training well it could be impressive... They said last night that he never really trained so I think he has maybe the best pure talent of the remaining guys that were available... Though I really like John Mcfarland... Or they should have just dropped back and get more picks...

I think we neew top-6 forwards with caracther...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
can anyone tell me whats wrong with this page(beside the fact its espn's coverage on the nhl)??

http://espn.go.com/nhl/draft
I guess you are referring to the pigeon.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
I guess you are referring to the pigeon.
I saw that stupid thing too. ESPNBA still thinks its 2004 when it comes to "Ice Soccer".

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I drafted this guy in one of my fantasy leagues. I've done a lot of research on him. I do not think that you will regret this pick.

Everyone wants to talk about his lack of physical play. However, if you look at that video on the first page and the video played during the draft yesterday, he does try to drive to the net at times...he doesnt always get there because he lacks size and strength right now. Once he puts on some weight and gets stronger, he will be fine. The key is that he does not shy away from the physical stuff.The weight and strength you can always put on.

I think that what you are getting here is a player who, unlike most of the wingers you have now, is INDEPENDENT. Meaning that he can create his own scoring chances, he can lead a rush, he can make things happen. Right now, I think that is the kind of winger that you need, that will take some pressure off Crosby and Malkin, where those two won't have to create everything on their own anymore while the other wingers are just riding their coat tails.

I am not sure who to compare him to. At times, he reminds me a bit of Petr Nedved. Similar size, similar style of play where both can skate around until they find an open player...or just wrist it for a goal. Nedved in his later years became a bit more of a battler, and I see the same in Bennett over time.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
crosby is the sauce

hopefully he turns out as a good pick! hope to see him soon!

anyone know how many years he has left in jr league/whatever?

just gonna say it. if shero wanted a high risk/high reward player, should have gone for kabanov

crosby is the sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:45 AM
WVP

Reading up more on this guy this morning, sounds like we've picked one of the elite offensive talents in the draft. Speed, moves and a laser shot.

At the least from the videos he looks like someone who can be a serious threat for the left circle on the PP (which will always be a need with Crosby/Malkin here). Maybe potentially run the PP from the left point down the line.

Also sounds like Denver has a good conditioning program, here's hoping this guy shows up in 3 years at 6'1" 195 or so.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:52 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

In the ISS draft guide, the player they compare Bennett to is Jason Pominville, which actually makes a lot of sense.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Bennett

Here's a link to a thread about Bennett. They actually have some good comments about Denver, and in particular, its strength and conditioning program. Hopefully Beau benefits like Bruins prospect Joe Colborne did at the Pioneers, which was to put on 20-30lbs of muscle.
NICE. Always encouraging to hear stuff like that; sounds like he's going to exactly the right place for where his weak edge is / what he needs to work at. He's going to continue growing for about 3 years so it's great he can do that in a place where there is quality training / strength programs for hockey. If he works hard he could be a real animal by the time his junior year rolls around, then if we're lucky he might get a shot to play in the AHL for a year and adjust to that speed and level of physicality.

LOT of hurdles for a guy who hasn't faced much high level competition to speak of. Watching some of those clips it looks like the D he was playing against was stuck in molasses. So, the NCAA game will be probably a big adjustment. Won't be surprised if his goals drop way off this first year as he starts working out and adjusting to his new life. Then next year if we're lucky they'll get a bit of a boost and another his junior year. That seems to be the pattern for a lot of kids.

Look forward to hearing some updates over the next couple years, maybe some nice highlight reel goals.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:00 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Reading up more on this guy this morning, sounds like we've picked one of the elite offensive talents in the draft. Speed, moves and a laser shot.

At the least from the videos he looks like someone who can be a serious threat for the left circle on the PP (which will always be a need with Crosby/Malkin here). Maybe potentially run the PP from the left point down the line.

Also sounds like Denver has a good conditioning program, here's hoping this guy shows up in 3 years at 6'1" 195 or so.
One would think that going the college route will help him address his weaknesses. He'll be in a highly structured environment that will force him to condition better and compete more physically against older men.

At the very least, if he slacks off his strength training or continues to only play a perimeter game we'll know real quick. I doubt the Denver staff will trust him with minutes if that's the case. Is he still eligible to attend Penguin camps over the summer? I assume that's the case, as long as he pays his own way.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Mr. T

I'm happy with the pick. I'm excited to see what he'll do in Denver.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:06 AM
maxpenguins6630

Half of my notes on Bennett consist of phrases like, 'Wow, can he really shoot the puck!' That Penticton team looks for him on the ice all the time. The whole offense seems geared to him and getting him the puck for scoring chances in the good areas. He's slight- he's got a big frame, but has a lot of filling out to do. His projection if he's going to be an NHL player is probably as a top-two line guy or nothing at all. His skating is good- he's real agile but isn't a dynamic game-breaker in that regard. Where his strength lies is when the puck is down low on the cycle and at finding a way to get open, find open linemates and score that way rather than from a bunch of solo rushes. And to be honest, that speaks much better for him than if he were scoring on a lot of individualistic plays. The whole problem is trying to figure out a Tier 2 player because the goaltending is substandard at that level. Is a guy who is picking the corners on a Tier 2 goalie going to be able to do it when he moves up to that next level? To me that's the biggest difference between major junior and tier 2- the quality of goaltending. So, Bennett still has a lot to prove." - Mike Remmerde from Red Line Report

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Half of my notes on Bennett consist of phrases like, 'Wow, can he really shoot the puck!' That Penticton team looks for him on the ice all the time. The whole offense seems geared to him and getting him the puck for scoring chances in the good areas. He's slight- he's got a big frame, but has a lot of filling out to do. His projection if he's going to be an NHL player is probably as a top-two line guy or nothing at all. His skating is good- he's real agile but isn't a dynamic game-breaker in that regard. Where his strength lies is when the puck is down low on the cycle and at finding a way to get open, find open linemates and score that way rather than from a bunch of solo rushes. And to be honest, that speaks much better for him than if he were scoring on a lot of individualistic plays. The whole problem is trying to figure out a Tier 2 player because the goaltending is substandard at that level. Is a guy who is picking the corners on a Tier 2 goalie going to be able to do it when he moves up to that next level? To me that's the biggest difference between major junior and tier 2- the quality of goaltending. So, Bennett still has a lot to prove." - Mike Remmerde from Red Line Report
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know who the decent goalies are in the WCHA?

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
A part of me kind of wishes if the Pens were going to take a risky pick, they'd have taken someone like John MacFarland. He's got as much offensive upside as any who were available when the Pens drafted, and also could play a physical game.
I don't mind the Bennett pick, but I sort of thought the same thing. I'd like to see us move up and get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
Not me, 3rd liners are a dime a dozen and not hard to find. It is not that hard to get people for the 3rd and 4th lines and they do not cost very much either. You have a higher opinion of Armstrong than I do. I think we have guys like Cooke, Dupuis, Talbot, etc. that can play 3rd line duty now and guys like Jeffrey and others in the minors that can play those types of spots.

I want a top 6 forward or top 4 dman or bust with my 1st round pick. The team can find those 3rd line forwards and 3rd pairing dmen in the rounds after that. Give me the boom or bust every time over a 1st round draft pick like Armstrong was. You knew when we drafted him that his potential was only 3rd line ability which to me is not good value for 1st round picks. Don't give me Staal stuff either because he is a 2nd line center playing a 3rd line role.
Straw man argument. Perfect.

I have no plans on a guy we draft in the first round being a bottom 6 guy. I'd probably consider him a bust if he was. What I'm saying is that if you take a guy like Bennett and a guy like Watson, if Bennett doesn't make it, he's playing in Europe, if Watson doesn't make it, he's playing as a Colby Armstrong type, which is a player that still holds some pretty good value, even though he never reached his lofty expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
But between the two players the higher risk one might have a higher chance of becoming a star over the safer one and frankly, we still don't need more of those bottom 6 types so whether he busts and goes to Europe or plays on our 4th like like is irrelevant to me because I'd consider it a bust either way. I guess it saves you the inconvenience of signing a guy for 800k in the offseason to replace them... but really is that worth fussing about?!?
It's not even about signing him. It's about him having value still, even if he doesn't reach his full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The video they had for this kid makes him look 4-5 years off the NHL. My initial thinking is the pick sucked and I like last year's pick better and we had 10 spots improvement.

Obviously the scouts know a lot more than me and i don't pay attention to that league what-so-ever.
I agree. He is going to need all 4 years at DU, but when he's finished, I think we're going to have a big boy on our hands. No reason why he shouldn't be 6'1 190-200 after 4 years with the program DU runs out there.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Sounds about right. I do think his goals are going to take a big dip next year so people shouldn't panic. The combination of better D and Goalies, a faster game, and him working out a lot is going to throw his timing and touch off quite a bit (most likely). It will probably be midway through his second season there before he really starts to feel comfortable in his own skin out there.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:44 AM
WickedWrister

what is the BCHL and why did he go this route?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Okay, now that I'm not drunk seeing the pick for the first time and have actually read up on the kid, he looks and sounds pretty intriguing. Great skillset, and the sort of boom/bust scoring winger most of us were clamouring for.

Don't usually like the college route because the players take longer to develop with little to no long-term payoff, but I'll look at Zac Dalpe (who was also drafted out of the BCHL) scoring 6 goals in 9 AHL games 2 years removed from the draft and hope that Bennett can make a similarly quick progression.

This article (quoted earlier) has an interesting little tidbit that some of us missed too:

Quote:
A trip to the Draft Combine in Toronto was the final accolade for the Gardena, CA product this past season as he joined the rest of the top end of the 2010 Draft Class for poking and prodding from NHL folks. While physical strength and muscle mass were the biggest knocks on Beau heading in, Beau had muscled up by 15 pounds and seemed to immediately jump on mock drafts and rankings following the event.
http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/201...-beau-bennett/

Seems he already put on lots of good weight for the combine, so he may be around 190 now.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 06-26-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:51 AM
JTG

A lesser league than the WHL, but it allows a prospect to keep NCAA eligibility, which Bennett is obviously using.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:37 AM
sina220*

I like the pick. As some have said I'd have rather tried kabanov for the high risk-reward type but you can't deny this kids talent. He's got decent size too, by the time he's done at denver he'll be near 6'2" and about 195lbs. And the right handedness is a perk for such a skill player at #20, Crosby stated when we initially traded for Guerin how much he liked and how much easier it was to play with a RH shot/pass on one of your wings.

Also have to love his scouting report would seem to say he's high on the things you can't teach and lower on the ones you can. Definition of high risk-high reward, we got what I wanted and he's not a head case (not reffering to kabanov cuz I don't think he's much of a headcase either, just young, misguided, and anxious).

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:25 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Okay, now that I'm not drunk seeing the pick for the first time and have actually read up on the kid, he looks and sounds pretty intriguing. Great skillset, and the sort of boom/bust scoring winger most of us were clamouring for.

Don't usually like the college route because the players take longer to develop with little to no long-term payoff, but I'll look at Zac Dalpe (who was also drafted out of the BCHL) scoring 6 goals in 9 AHL games 2 years removed from the draft and hope that Bennett can make a similarly quick progression.

This article (quoted earlier) has an interesting little tidbit that some of us missed too:

http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/201...-beau-bennett/

Seems he already put on lots of good weight for the combine, so he may be around 190 now.
Good stuff CW. Shows that he has good motivation and dedication to training to put that muscle on. That will help his transition playing with bigger guys in the college ranks.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote