HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-26-2010, 12:29 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
From reading about him, some things I have read have said that he looks lazy at times...sort of uninspired and lacking competitiveness. If he's able to go to the BCHL, rack up 120 points while not looking competitive, I'm sort of excited to see what he can do when he is competitive.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Gumbercules

Having him just entering college means he may take a bit longer to get here, but plenty of great players take the Jr A ->NCAA route. Heatley, Kariya, Cammalleri and Zajac to name a few. It seems most scouts agree he is a first round talent, so I'll trust the judgment of the Pens brass.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
In the ISS draft guide, the player they compare Bennett to is Jason Pominville, which actually makes a lot of sense.
Yes, that comparison makes sense. I have no idea where they got Nylander, though. That one will confuse and befuddle forever, me thinks. I never understood how a righty shooter can remind somebody of a lefty. But maybe that's just me.

Anyways, Bennett definitely vaulted into the first round thanks to a great scouting combine. Before the combine, there was only talk of Etem as the California kid. After the combine, suddenly McKenzie and TSN started to talk about two Californians who may go in Round 1.

Anyways, the main thing is he's a scorer and he's now in our system. That's all we can ask for, at this point.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Good stuff CW. Shows that he has good motivation and dedication to training to put that muscle on. That will help his transition playing with bigger guys in the college ranks.
For sure.

I'll also add that I really liked what I saw from Bennett in that left corner on the PP in that highlight reel. Hard, accurate shot with a quick release and great elevation, some dandy vision and a pass with real mustard.

We need a player like this so badly for our PP. Too bad he can't help us there next year.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
For sure.

I'll also add that I really liked what I saw from Bennett in that left corner on the PP. Hard, accurate shot with a quick release and great elevation, some dandy vision and a pass with real mustard.

We need a player like this so badly for our PP. Too bad he can't help us there next year.
Well, Whitney for two years, then Bennett? Not too shabby an idea.

Of course, there's always my bigger idea...

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:36 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

He's a winger, he's a goal scorer, and he's right handed. Basically, we addressed our NEEDS in this draft. Our biggest concern at this point has to do with his physical game (or lackthereof). Hopefully the organization can sit him down and make it clear to him that he's gonna have to bulk up and build more of a physical edge. Based on his lack of size, I figure he's gonna be at least a 3 year project before he gets a chance to step onto NHL ice.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
what is the BCHL and why did he go this route?
It's a junior league in British Columbia, and is a step down from the level of the CHL (or specifically in his case, the WHL) and allows players to keep their eligibility for the NCAA.

In relative terms, think of it sort of like if the CHL=NHL (ie. highest level of junior hockey), then most tier II leagues, including the BCHL=AHL (and in some cases ECHL). Which is one reason people are skeptical of impressive numbers a player puts up in that league. It's kind of like how just because a guy can get 80 points in the AHL, doesn't mean he's even NHL caliber.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Jacob

Kids can build muscle pretty quickly, especially during the 'lighter' NCAA schedule.

Having never seen Bennett play and, frankly, only hearing his name once or twice prior to yesterday, I'd guess/hope the ETA for him to turn pro would be 2 years. First up is seeing how quickly he transitions to the NCAA game, and hopefully making the US WJC squad either this year or next to see what he does amongst the best in his age group. We'll see.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, Whitney for two years, then Bennett? Not too shabby an idea.
That would be perfect.

Quote:
Of course, there's always my bigger idea...
Let's not go there.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
WickedWrister

I've heard conflicting reports on his skating. Some reports have him as an elite level skater, while others just average. I'm guessing its somewhere in between

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
I've heard conflicting reports on his skating. Some reports have him as an elite level skater, while others just average. I'm guessing its somewhere in between
Probably "elite level" for the BCHL but average for CHL or NCAA.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I read somewhere that Bennett put on 10 or 15 lbs of muscle already...

I was reading profiles on him at midnight so maybe I just dreamed that...

Anyone else see this?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I read somewhere that Bennett put on 10 or 15 lbs of muscle already...

I was reading profiles on him at midnight so maybe I just dreamed that...

Anyone else see this?
Here:

Quote:
This article (quoted earlier) has an interesting little tidbit that some of us missed too:

http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/201...-beau-bennett/

Seems he already put on lots of good weight for the combine, so he may be around 190 now.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I don't mind the Bennett pick, but I sort of thought the same thing. I'd like to see us move up and get him.

Straw man argument. Perfect.

I have no plans on a guy we draft in the first round being a bottom 6 guy. I'd probably consider him a bust if he was. What I'm saying is that if you take a guy like Bennett and a guy like Watson, if Bennett doesn't make it, he's playing in Europe, if Watson doesn't make it, he's playing as a Colby Armstrong type, which is a player that still holds some pretty good value, even though he never reached his lofty expectations.

It's not even about signing him. It's about him having value still, even if he doesn't reach his full potential.

I agree. He is going to need all 4 years at DU, but when he's finished, I think we're going to have a big boy on our hands. No reason why he shouldn't be 6'1 190-200 after 4 years with the program DU runs out there.
I remember clearly when Armstrong was drafted they predicted him to be a 3rd liner even on draft day so what was this lofty expectations you are talking about. His best prediction I saw back then was a Barnaby type player.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because I don't hold any extra value at all if a 1st round player has a better chance of being a grinder if they don't become a top 2 line forward. Like I said 3rd line players are easy to find and are not that expensive and you can find them in the draft after the 1st round. I don't value Armstrong any more than I value Dupuis, Talbot, Cooke, etc.

Give me the boom or bust pick with the higher upside. I am tired of putting below average skilled wingers on our top two lines so if this kid has a chance to be a stud scoring winger in 3-4 years I will take my chances over a less skilled but safer pick.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Here:
Thx DD...

So that puts him at about 190 or so...

That is pretty good news as most reports said his biggest weakness was adding muscle.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Thx DD...

So that puts him at about 190 or so...

That is pretty good news as most reports said his biggest weakness was adding muscle.
That was reassuring, definitely. Sounds like he's got a better work ethic than he's been given credit for, off the ice anyway.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:30 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

The weight gain is excellent news for Bennett. Everyone drooled over Kyle Turris but he's barely added a pound to his frame and his development has really lowered my view of Tier-2 junior guys in the first round.

However going to Denver is a great opportunity for him. I really hope he puts 2-3 seasons in there before turning pro. If he stays for only 1-2, he'll need plenty of seasoning in the AHL, unless he's lights out.

As long as we have Crosby and Malkin down the middle, wing is a long term need that we can address with players like Bennett, so I hope he reaps the rewards of staying in college until he's physically ready.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
invictus

Did he go to a public high school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardena_High_School
"Where No Panther Is Left Behind"

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Perimeter players go over like a lead balloon on this team. I'd have preferred we find a new Ryan Malone or Chris Kunitz than a new Petr Sykora or Erik Christensen. We need guys who make room for Crosby and Malkin, not guys who disappear and wait for their centers to do everything and set them up.

I understand you draft who you can with the pick you have, but I think this guy is better as a trade asset for a Penguins-style player. I still remember how many of you guys were down on Talbot and high on Christensen, and its clear one of them is an NHLer and the other is a permanent project.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
The "perimeter" aspect is why I still would have rather they took a chance on John McFarland. His consistency is a huge question mark, but at least he's shown (when he's on) that he can play a pretty strong power game.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
WVP

Christensen looked like more of an NHL'er than Talbot last year but that's besides the point.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Perimeter players go over like a lead balloon on this team. I'd have preferred we find a new Ryan Malone or Chris Kunitz than a new Petr Sykora or Erik Christensen. We need guys who make room for Crosby and Malkin, not guys who disappear and wait for their centers to do everything and set them up.

I understand you draft who you can with the pick you have, but I think this guy is better as a trade asset for a Penguins-style player. I still remember how many of you guys were down on Talbot and high on Christensen, and its clear one of them is an NHLer and the other is a permanent project.
We have guys like Kunitz and Tangradi for that job, we lack pure finishing ability. That is exactly what Bennett provides. You need balance on a line. Having a scoring winger, a superstar center and a grinder is great balance. I'm glad they took a chance on him. Sure, he could bust but picking players like him is the only chance we have to get a permanent SCORING winger for Sid or Geno.

Our core is set in stone for years and we're filled with quality role players. We need high end scoring talent on the wings. I don't care if he doesn't go in the traffic areas; guys like Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Tangradi, Staal, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis, Talbot, Adams and Rupp will and will get the puck to him so he can use his great shot. I'm not a big fan of pure goal scorer that don't provide anything else but they are what we need to be over the top. Of course, we'd all love to get Marian Hossa or a player of that caliber but let's not kid ourselves, we won't.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
GoPenguins

Aside from optimistically looking forward to him lining up on Sid's wing in a couple of years, I am really excited to see how he fits into our future PP. A right hand laser of a shot who is accustomed to working on the left side of the PP is a perfect addition to the PP, given the skill level we have on the right hand side.

GoPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins View Post
Aside from optimistically looking forward to him lining up on Sid's wing in a couple of years

That's a little more than optimistic I'd say. You're not likely to see this kid in the NHL prior to the 2013-2014 season. He's going to need at least 2 in the NCAA, then another in the AHL most likely. 4 years combined in the NCAA and AHL wouldn't be surprising either.

Absolute best scenario would be 2 in NCAA and half a season in the AHL before making the jump at the end of the 2012-2013 season. That's if he absolutely lights people up like a Christmas tree.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post

How do you know Bennett's a perimeter player? I mean, you just took the worst example of a skill player and put it up against the best example of a grinder.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote