HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
We have guys like Kunitz and Tangradi for that job, we lack pure finishing ability. That is exactly what Bennett provides. You need balance on a line. Having a scoring winger, a superstar center and a grinder is great balance. I'm glad they took a chance on him. Sure, he could bust but picking players like him is the only chance we have to get a permanent SCORING winger for Sid or Geno.

Our core is set in stone for years and we're filled with quality role players. We need high end scoring talent on the wings. I don't care if he doesn't go in the traffic areas; guys like Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Tangradi, Staal, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis, Talbot, Adams and Rupp will and will get the puck to him so he can use his great shot. I'm not a big fan of pure goal scorer that don't provide anything else but they are what we need to be over the top. Of course, we'd all love to get Marian Hossa or a player of that caliber but let's not kid ourselves, we won't.
As Bombulie put it, we were missing some "magic" in the system, and it looks like that's something Bennett could provide.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I love guys like Kunitz who can create havoc just as much as the next guy, but when you're relying on people like him to be finishers on a line with Crosby, something's wrong.

We definitely need finishers/snipers/shooters, whatever you want to call them. Hopefully we got some this year (even though I'm pissed we passed on Pulkkinen TWICE).

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:07 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Eh, disagree, Boosh. I mean, we definitely need shooters, but it's not like Crosby or Malkin are Thronton (read: awful shot).

I want wingers that can carry the puck themselves and create chances on their own. When is the last time you saw one of our top-6 wingers do that? Think about it. It's sad, actually.

Not that I disagree with this pick; I love it. I'm really excited that, for once, we went for a high risk, high reward guy.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Well, yeah. I probably should have been less of a dummy when posting what I did.

I'd definitely love to get a playmaker who can dish to Sid or Geno as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "Enough gritty/physical wingers. Let's get some ****ing skill on Sid and Geno's wings to take away some of the offensive pressure on them."

Not in my right mind tonight.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Yeah, I'm good with that. I don't care that he's not physical or that he's a floater. We have plenty of guys that can make up for that. Not that he's going to be in the lineup anytime soon, but I'm glad we got away from the safe, bottom-6 guy that will play two ways.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
How do you know Bennett's a perimeter player? I mean, you just took the worst example of a skill player and put it up against the best example of a grinder.
I read his scouting report.

I'm unsurprised that you're all in favor of this pick. The reality on HF is that Shero could've picked a chrome wastebasket and as long as it's in the first round, you guys would have it lining up on Sid's wing in two years.

I don't like this pick, I think it's the exact kind of thing that goes nowhere, and I'll put dollars to donuts that he doesn't develop into an NHLer. I'm not happy about it, but that's how I feel it is.

Quote:
I don't care that he's not physical or that he's a floater. We have plenty of guys that can make up for that.
Think of the last five teams to win a Cup. How many floaters would you say they employed? Even little Pat Kane will check a guy when it comes down to it.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Think of the last five teams to win a Cup. How many floaters would you say they employed? Even little Pat Kane will check a guy when it comes down to it.
Patrick Kane was correctly labeled a 'perimeter player' by every scouting report leading up to his draft. You're reading that phrase and turning him into Sergei Samsonov or someone.

Jeff Goldblum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
WVP

Quote:

I'm unsurprised that you're all in favor of this pick. The reality on HF is that Shero could've picked a chrome wastebasket and as long as it's in the first round, you guys would have it lining up on Sid's wing in two years.

I don't like this pick, I think it's the exact kind of thing that goes nowhere, and I'll put dollars to donuts that he doesn't develop into an NHLer. I'm not happy about it, but that's how I feel it is.

It's chrome? Awesome!

1. It's kinda hard to judge one's grit level when you're putting up over 2 points a game in a lower league.

2. Kane is about as perimeter as it gets.

3. Who would you have picked at 20?

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

Don't know if you got to see this yet:

Say what you will about the level of competition in the BCHL (though Bennett did produce better than Dalpe and similar to Turris and Zajac in their draft years), but it looks to me like he brings exactly what we need setting up on the left side of the PP. Top of the circles down, kid looks dangerous.

When was the last time you saw any of our wingers with the sort of shot release or elevation that Bennett showed in that reel? How about vision and pinpoint passing from the LH side?

This is a guy who could potentially be an ideal complement to our PP in years to come, and it looks like he has more than enough in the way of hands, speed, and offensive IQ to be a good ES player too, once he beefs up a bit.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
JTG

I've seen that video 3 times now. His one timer gives me a hard on.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
There's not a winger on our team who has a shot even close to this kid.

Hard to know whether to get depressed or excited about that.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I don't get too excited about seeing videos like that, because truth is it's a collection of highlights of the player. And when a player amasses 120 points, there's going to be a lot of highlights. I could make a similar youtube clip of Nathan Moon. He's had enough "youtube highlights" over the past couple of seasons to make a decent clip making him look like Joe Sakic.

Not a knock on Bennett, as he does seem to have what this team is looking for, but more a commentary on the video.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't get too excited about seeing videos like that, because truth is it's a collection of highlights of the player. And when a player amasses 120 points, there's going to be a lot of highlights. I could make a similar youtube clip of Nathan Moon. He's had enough "youtube highlights" over the past couple of seasons to make a decent clip making him look like Joe Sakic.

Not a knock on Bennett, as he does seem to have what this team is looking for, but more a commentary on the video.
Of course, Youtubes can be used to make Mirnov look like Malkin.

But the vid absolutely shows what tools are at Bennett's disposal - you can't fake that shot or those quick decisions in the o-zone. Combined with scouting reports, the totals he put up, and the totals of NHLers who went the BCHL route, you get a decent picture of the player. To me, it looks like a potential piece of the puzzle.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
How about that pass at around 2:44-2:46?

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I love the stick work of this kid. Like I said before, his deficiencies are on him. He needs to play a little tougher, work on his skating, and his strength. He has the stuff you can't teach.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Beauty. I really like the sharp-angle cross-ice dishes he was laying down from the LH side too. Visions of Sid camping out at the right of the net for an easy one with a threat coming from the other side for once.

Looks like his shot's got some range too, judging from :37 and 1:06.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Don't know if you got to see this yet:
Video of his best moments, when he's scoring? When I saw Scottie Upshall's first NHL goal, I was sure he was going to become a Steve Yzerman type player for the Predators. That's why video lies.

Quote:
When was the last time you saw any of our wingers with the sort of shot release or elevation that Bennett showed in that reel?
I don't know, maybe that Sykora guy who played in one zone. Or that Christensen guy who everyone said had the shot of a 40 goal scorer. I almost changed my username to Waive Christensen before the Hossa trade. I actually think that less Christensen made the team better than more Hossa.

Listen guys, worst thing happens and I'm proven wrong, then the Pens have a quality winger. And everyone gets donuts. I don't necessarily want to be proven right, I just think I will.

Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 06-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

He almost looks like a young Bill Guerin.

I don't know much about this kid to be honest but people were clamoring for this type of player with this pick.

I dunno...I'll watch him play before I yay or nay this pick.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Whatever you mooks are saying about this pick, I'm automatically going for the opposite.

Nah, just kidding. Like the boom-bust potential. Say what you will about one-dimensionality, but there's a place for players like that in the league. Sure, he may not turn out, but given that more players picked at #20, regardless of their playing style, are likely to wash out than play in the NHL anyway, why not go for broke?

And for the record, let's not forget that "gritty powerforward guys" in junior more often than not, turn out to be Mike Rupp 2.0, or Colby Armstrong. So, it might be worth thinking about that before going on and on about how physical other picks might have been.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Video of his best moments, when he's scoring? When I saw Scottie Upshall's first NHL goal, I was sure he was going to become a Steve Yzerman type player for the Predators. That's why video lies.
Video doesn't lie, people filling in the blanks lie to themselves.

Video shows the tools he has at his disposal, namely skating, hands, vision, and a shot.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe that Sykora guy who played in one zone. Or that Christensen guy who everyone said had the shot of a 40 goal scorer. I almost changed my username to Waive Christensen before the Hossa trade. I actually think that less Christensen made the team better than more Hossa.
Does every offensive-minded forward turn into Christensen? Never mind that EC was a natural center anyway, and Sykora was quite useful here until his last season.

The fact is that we have no shortage of responsible, gritty players on the team or in the system. It's a huge organizational strength - Letestu, Jeffrey, Johnson, Vitale, and now Rust. What we don't have is honest-to-goodness skill and creativity on the wings.

You talk about Christensen. I'll show you what happens when you do nothing but draft the safe pick whose upside is Chris Kunitz:

The Calgary Flames prospect pool.

Quote:
Listen guys, worst thing happens and I'm proven wrong, then the Pens have a quality winger. And everyone gets donuts. I don't necessarily want to be proven right, I just think I will.
You're welcome to your opinion. But to suggest that you always need the gritty two-way guy is absurd - just look at how Jiri Hudler was sorely missed on the Wings this year. The pipeline could desperately use the skillset and potential that Bennett brings.

Jesse Marshall did an informative article on him:

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pengui...e-beau-bennett

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 06-27-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old
06-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
I don't know, maybe that Sykora guy who played in one zone.
Have we completely forgotten how effective Sykora was for us while he was here? I mean, he had a very forgettable final stretch as a Penguin through the latter half of the year and the playoffs but that certainly was not the Petr Sykora we were used to seeing. If you told me we drafted a player that will be as good as him, I'd be pretty happy, all things considered.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

I was peeved at the pick at the time but the more I think about it the more I like it.

I wanted Tarensenko, Watson, or Forbort and would have killed to have any of them. I was getting really excited when they were all still on the board in the mid teens. I can't complain that there was a player I wanted more, although I did like Kuznetsov, Tinordi, and Merril quite a bit. I actually thought we were going to take Etem but am glad we didn't. I think there were a lot of people that loved his game for the wrong reasons.

Bennett sounds exactly like what we need right now and in the future. We probably will only have 1-2 good wingers on this team at one time with our three star centers. Maybe if we gt lucky we can have 3-4 but I really doubt it. The rest will go into our defense which I think it should.

Another good thing about him is that Denver is a great program for him to be at. College hockey will be a great place for him to develop his game since he will be playing with a lot of physically mature players. I wouldn't be surprised if he developed more of a two-way or physical game.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Jag68Sid87

I will continue to say this. While there were other players I wanted, I'm just glad we focused on our chronic organizational weakness in this draft: Skilled wingers.

You may choose to believe that it just happened that way while always going BPA, but I tend to believe they made a serious effort this time to correct a problem in the system.

Good job by everybody involved, no matter how it went down.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:29 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:

We are in the same boat. I don't think Shero or his staff have shown they are that good at assessing players in the draft anyway, as evidenced by our barren farm system.

This is just a name that, for some inane reason, shot up the boards of mock drafts, and now we have him. Quinton Howden is a better player, while being able to play Centre and Wing...

Ouch.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
maxpenguins6630

Bennett looks like Keven Veilleux according to me... If Veilleux didn't have a shoulder surgery he was a 1st round prospect in his draft year...

I mean I know two players are different but I am looking forward to see what Veilleux will be doing... And I anticipate Bennett about the same results...

Hopefully now Veilleux will stay healthy and approach the game seriously...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote