HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Beau Bennett can play both wing and center, so that's a non-issue. He projects as a winger, especially to our team, but he's listed as both in a lot of places.

Howden was a top WHL draft pick, but he disappointed offensively.

Had we taken Howden, everybody would have been clamoring about the fact we took a bottom-six type. We went for the home run this time, and still there are complaints. Sometimes, our management team can't win, it seems.

While it's risky drafting a first rounder from tier-II junior, it's not exactly unprecedented. Let's see what Bennett does at Denver before we start labeling people like Howden as better players/prospects.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:45 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Beau Bennett can play both wing and center, so that's a non-issue. He projects as a winger, especially to our team, but he's listed as both in a lot of places.

Howden was a top WHL draft pick, but he disappointed offensively.

Had we taken Howden, everybody would have been clamoring about the fact we took a bottom-six type. We went for the home run this time, and still there are complaints. Sometimes, our management team can't win, it seems.

While it's risky drafting a first rounder from tier-II junior, it's not exactly unprecedented. Let's see what Bennett does at Denver before we start labeling people like Howden as better players/prospects.
I am confident time will prove my prediction correct. If Howden played in tier-II-junior, he would have tore it up too.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
maxpenguins6630

Bennett seems to play an East-West game and Howden a north and south game...

I think Bennett is projected more than what Howden might be because of Bennett stickhandling, passing and shooting... I mean he has more pure talent...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
We are in the same boat. I don't think Shero or his staff have shown they are that good at assessing players in the draft anyway, as evidenced by our barren farm system.

This is just a name that, for some inane reason, shot up the boards of mock drafts, and now we have him. Quinton Howden is a better player, while being able to play Centre and Wing...

Ouch.
Howden, in any scouting report I've read, is seen as having relatively limited offensive tools and whose value derives primarily from being a big two-way guy who can skate, so he has a fallback if his offense doesn't pan out.

Sort of a Shawn Matthias or Colton Gillies type. Meh. I much prefer Bennett's projection.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Bylsmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I will continue to say this. While there were other players I wanted, I'm just glad we focused on our chronic organizational weakness in this draft: Skilled wingers.

You may choose to believe that it just happened that way while always going BPA, but I tend to believe they made a serious effort this time to correct a problem in the system.

Good job by everybody involved, no matter how it went down.
I'm beginning to think that the front office just picks a position, drafts the **** out of it, and hopefully ONE will stick.

Like last year, we drafted a ton of defensemen, hopefully Despre/Samuelsson will be keepers. This year, we drafted 3-4 right wingers? Maybe one of them will stick. Next year: 7 goalies!

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:58 PM
xlm34

You can teach physicality and defensive game, but you cannot teach a defensive person to have a shot or vision like that. Great pick, but really not a talked about prospect (which is why I think some people aren't happy)

Just my opinion.

xlm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Violent By Design

I don't really see why we took this guy as a risk pick over Kabanov. I mean, you draft the best player available, and if it weren't for the skewed attitude problem he probably would have gone top 5. The kid is only 17, of course he is going to be immature. I think every team is going to be kicking themselves for passing on him.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I don't really see why we took this guy as a risk pick over Kabanov. I mean, you draft the best player available, and if it weren't for the skewed attitude problem he probably would have gone top 5. The kid is only 17, of course he is going to be immature. I think every team is going to be kicking themselves for passing on him.
Actually, he is very immature for being 17 years old

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Violent By Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Actually, he is very immature for being 17 years old
Not everyone can act like an adult at 17, Ovechkin is 24 and still doesn't.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:49 PM
WVP

Kabanov hasn't even showed the ability to actually play for a team.

And I would have love to see this board if we would have taken Howden. Pure mayhem. Can't please everyone I guess.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Not everyone can act like an adult at 17, Ovechkin is 24 and still doesn't.
Ovechkin isn't under control of his dad, abandoning a team and not nearly as egotistical as Kabanov. If Kabanov and his dad can grow up and see he isn't the sunshine of the universe, he has a shot to actually be a good player. However, if he stays under this false perception and continues to act the way he does, he will be nothing more than an under achieving locker room cancer who wouldn't even be able to be a career AHLer.

Kabanov is extremely high risk and I wouldn't have taken a shot in the first round for him at all.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Violent By Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Kabanov hasn't even showed the ability to actually play for a team.

And I would have love to see this board if we would have taken Howden. Pure mayhem. Can't please everyone I guess.
The fact that he came over to NA to play juniors because he knows it would be better for development speaks volumes in itself. He obviously wants to play in the NHL, and with the right guidance he is going to excel, too bad it won't be in a Penguins sweater. I just don't see how you can pass on his raw skill and hockey sense.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:11 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Because if pure talent was the end-all-be-all, Brian Fogarty and Alexandre Daigle would have been superstars.

Unfortunately, it's not. And thus, BPA (which at the time was Daigle for a lot of teams) was not exactly the right decision in that particular situation.

People get so rigid in their thinking about drafting. It's so weird. Sometimes, you draft BPA. If you have a very specific need that you know is going to crop up in your time frame, you go with that. If there's some absolute monster player, you draft him.

Good GM's and scouts have to be flexible.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
The fact that he came over to NA to play juniors because he knows it would be better for development speaks volumes in itself. He obviously wants to play in the NHL, and with the right guidance he is going to excel, too bad it won't be in a Penguins sweater. I just don't see how you can pass on his raw skill and hockey sense.
There are plenty of examples of Russians who didn't have near as many attitude and commitment issues as Kabanov coming into the draft, but still faltered early then went back to Russia.

It's their home, and the money's good. Add to that Kabanov's flighty personality and it's just not a prudent 1st round choice.

Bennett has pretty good offensive upside himself and none of the aforementioned negatives. That's why we took him.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
We are in the same boat. I don't think Shero or his staff have shown they are that good at assessing players in the draft anyway, as evidenced by our barren farm system.
Players currently in the farm system (AHL/ECHL) who were drafted by Shero:
Brian Strait (2006), Carl Sneep (2006), Keven Veilleux (2007), Robert Bortuzzo (2007), Casey Pierro-Zabotel (2007), Alex Grant (2007), Dustin Jeffrey (2007), Patrick Killeen (2008), Nick Petersen (2009)

And that doesn't include Luca Caputi or Angelo Esposito, both of whom are playing in pro leagues. Nor does it include several players who are still in college or Juniors who are promising.

Really, isn't it too early to judge Shero's drafts, anyway? This was only 5th draft, and only the 4th under Jay Heinbuck as head scout.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Jacob

Quote:
I thought he came to NA because he had already pissed off a few too many coaches in Russia. Or his dad did.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Violent By Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I thought he came to NA because he had already pissed off a few too many coaches in Russia. Or his dad did.
Via Wiki

Quote:
In 2007, 15-year-old Kabanov was signed to a five-year contract with HC Spartak Moscow, a deal negotiated by his father and included an escape clause that would allow him to leave the contract to play in the National Hockey League (NHL).[1] When the Russian Super League was disbanded in favour of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in 2008, he signed a new four-year contract to replace the original deal that also had an NHL escape clause.[1] He joined Spartak in 200809 as the youngest player in the KHL and appeared in ten regular season and playoff games.[2] During the season, the KHL unilaterally revoked his NHL escape clause. His playing rights were sold to Salavat Yulaev Ufa, which required a new contract be signed under KHL rules. Ufa refused to grant him another escape clause, and Kabanov refused to sign a new contract.[1] In the meantime, he was selected by the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the seventh overall selection in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
To paraphrase Bob Mackenzie, Moncton wouldn't have let him walk away like they did unless they were better off not having him and his massive skill around the team. And when a couple different agents don't want to have anything to do with you ... yeah, there are some serious issues there.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
maxpenguins6630

According to Andy Strickland... The Pens were agressive in the draft moving up to take Tarasenko... Too bad it didn't work out if it's true...

Old
06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
I can't really see how the relationship between his age and lack of maturity is pertinent, considering everyone available for the draft is the same age, the majority of which have managed to simply keep themselves in line, let alone destroy their reputation in a single 6 month period. The overall point is, I'd be willing to bet that 209 players drafted in 2010 showed more maturity this year, with an argumentative case being made for Sheahan... though he was living at a college campus, therefore a cop grabbing a kid walking down the street every night is more than routine.

In a process as sensitive as the maturation of a kid as a player and as a person, there can be no room for error in projecting where someone will end up. What better way to tell than to evaluate his decisions he's made during a time period, where the boy is obviously well aware of the level of scrutiny being thrust upon him.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
According to Andy Strickland... The Pens were agressive in the draft moving up to take Tarasenko... Too bad it didn't work out if it's true...
Possible but if the Ottawa Senators traded their pick away to the Blues, I see no reason why we couldn't have gotten it.

Either way, I am pretty happy with this pick...I was polling for Tarasenko but I am happy we were able to get a good American player

Old
06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Quote:
Do you have a link? I'm just kind of curious to see what he had to say. He's very reliable.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
I think I shed a tear when St. Louis took him.

When he was selected, I was in the middle of a sentence suggesting that I only hoped he'd be available when we picked. I didn't want to be stuck wondering "what if". If we had passed on him, I could at least understand why, with concerns over Russians these days, but the opportunity to make the call would have been nice.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
maxpenguins6630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Do you have a link? I'm just kind of curious to see what he had to say. He's very reliable.
From HockeyBuzz and Andy Strickland blog...

Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York Rangers, and Pittsbugh all believed to be interested in taking Tarasenko with the Penguins aggressively trying to trade up and get him. I don’t think there are many teams all that eager to help Pittsburgh become even better.

Atlanta took Russian Alexander Burmistov over Tarasenko primarily because he doesn’t have an contract to play in the KHL next season.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
That would've been fantastic.