HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHI trade Dan Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for 2011 3rd round pick

Old
06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Wow im about as dumbfounded as the time the Eagles traded McNabb to the Redskins...
Quote:
This GM told me the "best" offer the Flyers had was a 5th round pick for Hamhuis. They were gonna go back to Philly knowing that was the market if they could not sign him next week.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...Scenes/2/29038

I'd take a 3rd over a 5th any day, even to the Pens in this situation.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:22 PM
DUHockey9

Personally, don't think this is that big of a deal. I'm always an advocate of taking the best offer.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Nabby is HORRENDOUS. Like very bad. He was one of the main reasons they lost in the playoffs (let in some very very very soft goals). He was a average goalie behind a solid defense and team. My cousin is a Sharks fan and he was thrilled Nabby wasnt coming back. And now he is laughing at us, hoping Homer overpays.
Nabby let is a few softies but he also had some huge saves! Hes a smaller goalie so when Buff park his big ass in front none of the San Jose Defence could move him. I like Nabby a lot and hes MUCH MUCH better then Leighton ( yes he had a good playoff, but like Nabby he never stole a game, just merely average behind a much better defence IMO) Nabby comes in for 2 years at 4.5 I would be thrilled.. ship Boucher out and have Bobo be introduced to the NA lifestyle and hockey style by Nabby. Backlund starts for the Phantoms this year and our goalie situation is solved for now. But then again my brothers a huge San Jose fan and hes a huge Nabby fan so I'm rather bias on his abilities. Thats my 2 cents on the situation!

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:28 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...Scenes/2/29038

I'd take a 3rd over a 5th any day, even to the Pens in this situation.
If the Flyers know 100% he's gonna hold out until july 1 then I like this deal. If he signs with Pitt prior I would have rather taken the 5th and dumped him elsewhere. Best deal possible may not be the best deal possible. Why help a chief rival who is in a tough spot (Pittsburghs defensive situation)

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Jumping

Everyone keeps mentioning "Healthy Parent." If you have to add that disclaimer then Parent is useless. No one else on this team gets this adjective, even Gagne and Briere who have been banged up frequently. Parent has a bad back. If you have a bad back at 21, you always have a bad back.
Getting a third for him is a master stroke. Where Hamhuis ends up is immaterial. Pittsburgh was going to have to sign someone good in the 4.5+ range. Hamhuis has them a bit over a barrel and he may get 5 now because of the third the Pens gave up.
This is a good tactical move (short term) and a good strategic move (long term).

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:31 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Your proud of trading the guy to our rival? Hes a very good dman, they shouldn't be helping the Pens... No matter what. Its gonna bite us in the ass if he signs there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Watch them sign him for a very reasonable price now.

FML
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
This is a pretty smart trade if Pittsburgh can't sign him. Otherwise it's a dumb ****ing trade.
Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but these three posters don't seem to realize that the Pens could have signed him starting July 1st without giving up any assets.

There's a 6-day window where they're the only ones who can talk to him, but is that worth a 3rd-rounder?

So again, as often happens on these Boards, people lose sight of the forest for the trees...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but these three posters don't seem to realize that the Pens could have signed him starting July 1st without giving up any assets.

There's a 6-day window where they're the only ones who can talk to him, but is that worth a 3rd-rounder?

So again, as often happens on these Boards, people lose sight of the forest for the trees...
In those six days their is no other team competing with Pittsburgh that would drive the price up if they really wanted him. There is the problem with this deal.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
In those six days their is no other team competing with Pittsburgh that would drive the price up if they really wanted him. There is the problem with this deal.
I'm pretty sure Hamhuis and his agent have some sort of idea what they could get on the open market. Pitt's 6 day window won't affect the price that much

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
If the Flyers know 100% he's gonna hold out until july 1 then I like this deal. If he signs with Pitt prior I would have rather taken the 5th and dumped him elsewhere. Best deal possible may not be the best deal possible. Why help a chief rival who is in a tough spot (Pittsburghs defensive situation)
The Flyers know more than you. Plain and simple.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Actually, I do realize that. Just because it's only six days doesn't make his rights less exclusive to Pittsburgh. I'm not sure what your point is.

Still, I've changed my opinion of the trade a bit. It's a smart trade whether Hamhuis gets signed or not.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

So we must be getting a goalie.

Homer is a ****ing idiot.. Dumb dumb trades.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:38 PM
BernieParent

I'm not thrilled with this outcome, either, but it would have been much worse had Holmgren continued his tunnel vision and signed Hamhuis for a >$4.5 mil contract. Shore up the goaltending and then solidify the 3rd pairing.

I'm also not overly disappointed with turning Parent into a 3rd rounder, even if it's supposed to be a very weak draft. The injury issue was huge and he never seemed to live up to his billing as a steady, solid shut-down guy.

I know the cap money is just burning a hole in Holmgren's pocket, but wouldn't it be a refreshing change of pace for him to a) not have to move personnel over $$$ and b) have a healthy bit of space at the trade deadline, when injuries / poor play / etc. reveal what the team needs for another Cup run?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:56 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
The Flyers know more than you. Plain and simple.
OK, so if Pittsburgh offers a 1st rounder next year for Carter you take it? Even if a western team offers something a little less?

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL NO BODY TAKE THIS LITERALLY

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Marleau

Send a message via AIM to Marleau
Not sure whether or not you guys have seen that Tim Thomas has waived his no-trade clause...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

If so, sorry for the repost, wasn't sure where to put this...but figured your team might be involved...

Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleau View Post
Not sure whether or not you guys have seen that Tim Thomas has waived his no-trade clause...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

If so, sorry for the repost, wasn't sure where to put this...but figured your team might be involved...
It ties in with the blog from yesterday (same link):

Quote:
Chiarelli also said that Tim Thomas has not requested a trade. Chiarelli gave Bill Zito, Thomas's agent, permission to talk trades with other teams.

"Tim, in no way, has ever asked to be traded," Chiarelli said. "Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin. What I did was I talked to Bill at some point after the season. I said, 'Bill, look. We're in a position here that there will be some teams coming forward and will ask about Tim.' I said, 'At some point, if deals become realistic, you and I have to work together. Tim and his family, we all have to work together, completely transparent. Let me give you an e-mail giving permission to talk to these teams if they call you.' That's all it was. There's no overt effort to trade Tim. There's no request by Tim. Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
OK, so if Pittsburgh offers a 1st rounder next year for Carter you take it? Even if a western team offers something a little less?

I said in this situation. They are losing defenseman and adding one they potentially could have gotten from Nashville without us even being involved.

We got a 3rd round pick for Ryan ****ing Parents. Be happy.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Chris, Gagne and Carter on the same line isn't exactly the greatest of ideas... not enough puck to go around. They are our leading shooters (and the forwards with the best shots), you want them playing with guys that do other stuff besides shoot...

One of Briere and Giroux should move to the wing, yes. Frankly, both should and bring in a 3rd line center.

JVR will be far more complementary to Carter than Gagne.
I seem to remember the team trying Carter with Gagne near the end of the season that will not be named, after we traded Foppa.

I also seem to remember that Gagne and Carter should never play on the same line, as they looked awful together.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:56 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I disagree with this lineup.

I think it's time to strip Gagne of Richards. It's not because Gagne did or didn't do anything. I just think the lineup is better this way:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Gagne - Carter - xxxxxxxxxx
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Powe - Betts - Laperriere

You give Richards the kids, and you give Carter a winger that will help him. Gagne's the kind of winger that knows where to be without needing the puck. Carter is the opposite. He needs to control the play, so give him someone who doesn't need to control the play. I thought Briere was the worst possible winger for Carter. Hartnell and Lupul might have been the best. This way you also keep the Hartnell - Briere - Leino line together, and with our defense, I'm not all that scared about it coming back to bite us. That line is dynamic and showed some chemistry. You plug in another winger for Carter who knows where he's supposed to be without needing to control the play or a forechecker who doesn't carry the puck necessarily (Maroon, Nodl, Legein, Carcillo, Testwuide), and I think this lineup succeeds.

NOTE: Either Gagne or JVR work on Carter's wing really. They both know how to be where they're supposed to when they don't have the puck; something Carter has not learned, which is why he is atrocious on the outside.
JvR is simply not very good defensively (see: back checking in the playoffs, covering your man). Him and Carter together cannot be a good thing. Similarly, putting him with Richie, sans Gagne, cripples that line.

Unless Young James2.0 comes into camp having put in super serious work over the summer, I don't see him better than a third liner. Gagne-Richards-JvR being the exception.

XXX - Carter-Giroux is something I would consider.

Or trading Carter

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:40 PM
IrishSniper87

You guys crucifying Holmgrem for turning Ryan Parent into a 3rd round pick are making me laugh.

Hamhuis is ok but who cares if he goes to the Penguins? If they sign him for $4.5, I think it hurts them more then anything. Gonchar is the straw that stirs the drink there, and if he walks, then Pens will have a whole new look and it won't be as good as before.

Pens record without Gonchar in the lineup is below .500

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:47 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
You guys crucifying Holmgrem for turning Ryan Parent into a 3rd round pick are making me laugh.

Hamhuis is ok but who cares if he goes to the Penguins? If they sign him for $4.5, I think it hurts them more then anything. Gonchar is the straw that stirs the drink there, and if he walks, then Pens will have a whole new look and it won't be as good as before.

So . . . Pens have just around $10 mil in cap space and have 9 free agents to now sign. . . would we rather them a) Re-sign Gonch and have to deal with their 9 PPs a game
b) Anton Volchenkov and his million blocked shots a game
or c) Dan "I want to be #3" Hamuis as the Pen's NUMBER 1 guy

If they sign two out of the 3 I'll be SHOCKED and if they do it'll be hysterical to play against their 3rd and 4th line as they'll have about . . . 2 players between them.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
So . . . Pens have just around $10 mil in cap space and have 9 free agents to now sign. . . would we rather them a) Re-sign Gonch and have to deal with their 9 PPs a game
b) Anton Volchenkov and his million blocked shots a game
or c) Dan "I want to be #3" Hamuis as the Pen's NUMBER 1 guy

If they sign two out of the 3 I'll be SHOCKED and if they do it'll be hysterical to play against their 3rd and 4th line as they'll have about . . . 2 players between them.
I'd rather the Pens overpay Hamhuis.
It's a whole lot better then us overpaying for him.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I hope the Pens sign Hamhuis and overpay. I'd rather they sign him than A-Train.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Maybe I;m just bitter because something I bought today has to go back and get exchanged, but I hope Hamhuis get's Biron'd, and prices himself out of the market, and ends up having to sign for chump change to a bad team, then get's passed on the depth chart bumping him back to fifth D

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

No way Hamhuis will be able to replace Gonchar on PP. That part is for sure.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:

Oh I will take this literally. Carter would be worth a whole lot more, but if we can't sign him and he's going RFA I'd definitely take a 1st, especially from Pittsburgh. PIT is already retarded at Center, they can't afford to sign Carter because of the Cap and they can't put him in the line-up anyhow because they got Crosby, Malkin and Staal down the middle, much less Carter wanting to play 4th fiddle behind those. Now if that trade would go to the Isles, Rangers or Devils, that would be a different story.

To get back:
The only real problem with this trade is not that we traded away Hamhuis rights, but that we traded them to Pittsburgh. I say bollocks to that. I hate that team as much as everybody else, but the way Hamhuis did not sign here it makes it very doubtful he wants to sign in Pittsburgh. If he indeed does, they would probably overpay him, which is good for us because that prevents any more scary defensemen to join that team. That they have some exclusive rights to talk to him for the next 5 days is also not really an argument as they could just as well have picked him up in free agency.

As for Parent: He was an asset, a damaged one nobody in the entire fanbase wanted to keep after his playoff performance. He is injured all the time and he did not work out we hoped for. He regressed in each of the last two seasons. We traded him in for a different asset. We then traded that asset in for another asset and I believe we made a profit in those two trades. Nothing wrong with that.

Some say we gambled with trying to acquire Hamhuis. I kind of agree with that since it wasn't sure that Hamhuis signs here. However, the ante was minimal and expendable. We also did not lose. We did not hit jackpot but we got more out of it than we invested.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote