HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Question for the "In Clark We Trust" Crowd

Old
06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
A Question for the "In Clark We Trust" Crowd

Does the McIlrath pick in any way have you re-evaluating some of Clark's other picks in recent years who have yet to make it to the NHL. I'm talking guys like Werek and Grachev who most of us feel will be solid contributors relatively soon. If we all think Clark missed big time this year, does that put any doubt into what he was seeing the last couple of years?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

I love Clark and his staff, and I think, like anyone, they aren't perfect.

On this pick, we will just have to respectfully disagree.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
TheRedViper

This pick doesn't have my re-evaluating anything. No one knows if McIlrath will work out or not. So until he doesn't... why would I question any of his any other picks...?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
DarthSather99

I have to trust him still. How many were upset over taking a HS kid last year? This happens every year. Kreider being a top player in the WJC's and College Hockey was not a mirage'. Same for Stepan. Del Zotto was not a mistake. Players develop at different speeds.

When you say you trust in him, it can't be conditional on who he picks.

Last edited by DarthSather99: 06-25-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: add content
DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
ocarina

as long as McIlrath turns out to be the next Shea Weber, I'll gladly take back everything I've said about this pick. But man, Clark is really testing my faith with this one.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Cherepanisimov

I still trust him in that he sees something special in McIlrath. What I have a problem with is Sather and his retarded asset management. I am fine with Clark wanting McIlrath, because it is really not his decision on WHERE we take him, just who.

I do have a hard time though believing that anybody can say that McIlrath has more potential than both Fowler and Gormley with a straight face. But he obviously knows/sees/wants something we don't, so I just have to trust him.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Its only a slightly riskier pick than other available prospects but the kids upside potential could be through the roof. I trust Gordie.

I like that the kid has progressed so far in little time spent playing full time hockey. That shows great will and great athleticism. With a nickname like The undertaker if he lives up to his potential I have ZERO PROBLEM with this pick.

Now the kid, like all prospects, has to do the work.

06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Does the McIlrath pick in any way have you re-evaluating some of Clark's other picks in recent years who have yet to make it to the NHL. I'm talking guys like Werek and Grachev who most of us feel will be solid contributors relatively soon. If we all think Clark missed big time this year, does that put any doubt into what he was seeing the last couple of years?
The opposite, actually. At first I wasn't a fan of the selection, but based on Clark's track record, I'm becoming more comfortable with it.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I have to trust him still. How many were upset over taking a HS kid last year? This happens every year. Kreider being a top player in the WJC's and College Hockey was not a mirage'. Same for Stepan. Del Zotto was not a mistake. Players develop at different speeds.

When you say you trust in him, it can't be conditional on who he picks.
Ditto!

Could not have said it better myself. Everyone says they trust in Gordie, but yet are so quick to dismiss this pick.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ian
Mike York fan club

The guy with the highest potential doesn't automatically become the better NHL player.

I don't think anyone can contest that Fowler has franchise potential, but if Clark and co. saw that as a 1/100 shot versus 1/25 that McIlrath pans to be a top shutdown guy, then it's the right move. You can argue the risk is worth it, which is certainly fair, but sometimes knowing you'll have $50 in your pocket now is better off than hoping you'll have $75 or nothing tomorrow. I don't think Fowler becomes a non-prospect at any point, so maybe I'm just trying to rationalize it.

It's better to hit on a marginal guy, then miss on a guy that flames out. It's not fun to sit here and think about it that way, but it's reality. Only time will tell.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
clark really hasnt given me any reason to doubt him before, so i trust him on this. he knows alot more the i do

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For me, Clark has earned a LOT of trust. I do feel that his boss screwed the pooch on not trading down - but if Gordie was as strongly in favor of this pick as it seemed (pre-made jersey, idiot grin) then I am giving it the benefit of the doubt (now that I've finished my 7th beer).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Absolutely not. You have absolutely no clue if Gordie missed anything at all in this draft.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
For me, Clark has earned a LOT of trust. I do feel that his boss screwed the pooch on not trading down - but if Gordie was as strongly in favor of this pick as it seemed (pre-made jersey, idiot grin) then I am giving it the benefit of the doubt (now that I've finished my 7th beer).
Not to be Debbie Downer here, but those jerseys just have velcro on the nameplate, and they probably make 10-15 nameplates based on who they have on their board; they'll almost always have the kid's name on the back.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer here, but those jerseys just have velcro on the nameplate, and they probably make 10-15 nameplates based on who they have on their board; they'll almost always have the kid's name on the back.
Not true. A lot of teams bring fully stitched jerseys to the draft for the first round.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
pwoz

Will he be nhl ready before hank wears himself out and is past his prime????

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

At #10? I dunno, I mean it's possible, but even then they probably had at least 10 or so made up, so it's still a similar situation; it's not like it's the only one they brought.

Should have gone the velcro route though and saved some money, could have bought Sather a little more updated suit imho.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Synergy27

Please note that I have never declared myself to be in the "In Clark We Trust" crowd.

Also, while I personally don't like the McIlrath pick, the basis of this thread is that it seems like the board consensus is the same. I'm essentially looking to see if everyone feels the same as DarthSather, or if they're maybe rethinking their trust a little bit.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
At #10? I dunno, I mean it's possible, but even then they probably had at least 10 or so made up, so it's still a similar situation; it's not like it's the only one they brought.

Should have gone the velcro route though and saved some money, could have bought Sather a little more updated suit imho.
C'mon, Ian, you're discounting the idiot grin too.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
NYR Viper

You have to trust the guys who do this for a living. This isn't some random pick, they have been watching him play and absolutely love his game. He adds a new dimension to our entire prospect pool. I am alright with it as long as they look for some scoring as we move forward.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:50 AM
bmoak

Exactly what has any Gordie Clark-drafted player done for the Rangers that has earned such a high level of trust?

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:58 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It seems a lot of people want to blame Sather for not trading down and give Clark the benefit of the doubt. That's a boatload of crap. Management wins as a team and loses as a team. I am sure Clark was well aware of who else had a keen interest in the player. That's part of the game. And I am also sure that Clark knew Don Maloney was around offering his late second to move to to 10. If you knew what other teams (Anaheim & Dallas were two of the four mentioned) had an interest in the player, you were making a team judgement with all of the available information.

I know a scout from one of the four teams Dylan interviewed with and that's where I first got a sense he was moving up in the draft. Only time will tell if this is a great pick but to the assignment of blame around here has gotten a little silly. If the kid works out Sather and Clark deserve credit. If he fails, they are both to blame.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:11 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Exactly what has any Gordie Clark-drafted player done for the Rangers that has earned such a high level of trust?
Del Zotto making the NHL team.

Stepan being the 5th leading scorer in all of college hockey as a sophomore and leading the WJC in points.

Kreider getting 6 goals in 7 games at the WJC while also playing for Team USA at the World Championships.

Grachev scoring 40 goals in his first season in North America.

Weise becoming a solid prospect from the 4th round.

Trade for Chad Johnson.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i trust him, i dont trust the decision of taking him where they took him.

its like the islanders...bailey was there guy, so they traded down a few spots to get him.

we shoulda done the same thing. No way do the teams below us take him over Fowler and Gormley.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i trust him, i dont trust the decision of taking him where they took him.

its like the islanders...bailey was there guy, so they traded down a few spots to get him.

we shoulda done the same thing. No way do the teams below us take him over Fowler and Gormley.
The deal had to be there. Plus, the other teams could have known the Rangers coveted McIlrath and that Fowler and Gormley would be there anyway.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote