HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Hishon??!!? Who the heck is that?!?!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
  #901
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
That's what I think as well. He would fit really well with RoR and Gali on the 3rd line. Less pressure and still give him a chance to help these players produce.
Cripes, if Hishon turns out to be NHL ready, that could be an awesome line!

foppagirl21 is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
  #902
electricjib
Registered User
 
electricjib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Cripes, if Hishon turns out to be NHL ready, that could be an awesome line!
that could also lend to a 4th line of Winnik-McClement-Kobasew

electricjib is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
  #903
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I think he is talented for sure but sending him to Lake Erie for the year is almost certainly a better outcome. If our lineup is too healthy and deep for him to crack that should mean we are a competitive team. The Monsters with him, Rissmiller, Stoa, Olver, and Mauldin should have formidable offense.
Ditto. Why would you have Hishon, a offensive player, be a defensive forward? I mean I could understand Landeskog being on the 3rd line more than Hishon.

chewey is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
  #904
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Ditto. Why would you have Hishon, a offensive player, be a defensive forward? I mean I could understand Landeskog being on the 3rd line more than Hishon.
Lots of top-6 skilled players have started their career on the 3rd line. It helped them honed their D game first and you have to earn your spot on the top lines. In this case Hishon would play with two players that are very good defensively and he could help make the 3rd line more dangerous offensively. Hishon already is decent defensively so nothing wrong with that line.

AllAboutAvs is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
  #905
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 30,990
vCash: 50
We can afford to be patient with all our skilled rookies. Let them get a few months in Lake Erie and then you can think about promoting them.

Even when they look ready, they could use some time to get adjusted to playing with grown men. I saw Taylor Hall get rocked a bunch of times last season because he simply wasn't used to opponents being so good at exploiting lack of awareness.

Freudian is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
  #906
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
We can afford to be patient with all our skilled rookies. Let them get a few months in Lake Erie and then you can think about promoting them.

Even when they look ready, they could use some time to get adjusted to playing with grown men. I saw Taylor Hall get rocked a bunch of times last season because he simply wasn't used to opponents being so good at exploiting lack of awareness.
I agree. This discussion is in response to people saying he might make the team. I would also prefer he starts in the AHL.

AllAboutAvs is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
  #907
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Lots of top-6 skilled players have started their career on the 3rd line.
Could you give me a example? I am shooting blanks. The only player I can recall who did that last was Turris and he hasn't been living up to his potential yet (I find it funny people call him a bust when he isn't).

Jones I guess is also another example. Tho I'd say Jones would be better as a 3rd liner due to his hitting, speed (at that time) and defensive game. Its after he was paired with Stastny and getting top 6 minutes he started breaking out.

Quote:
It helped them honed their D game first and you have to earn your spot on the top lines. In this case Hishon would play with two players that are very good defensively and he could help make the 3rd line more dangerous offensively. Hishon already is decent defensively so nothing wrong with that line.
Really? You have to earn it? Last I recall Duchene practically walked in and got the 2nd line center job and Landeskog, by most accounts on here, is already slotted in a top 6 role.

As for 3rd line more dangerous offensively: I really don't care. Seriously they could be the least offensive line on the team for all I care. I just care about how successful our top 6 and PP will be before I start worrying about the offensive ability of a 3rd line.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this will goes.

chewey is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
  #908
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Could you give me a example? I am shooting blanks. The only player I can recall who did that last was Turris and he hasn't been living up to his potential yet (I find it funny people call him a bust when he isn't).

Jones I guess is also another example. Tho I'd say Jones would be better as a 3rd liner due to his hitting, speed (at that time) and defensive game. Its after he was paired with Stastny and getting top 6 minutes he started breaking out.



Really? You have to earn it? Last I recall Duchene practically walked in and got the 2nd line center job and Landeskog, by most accounts on here, is already slotted in a top 6 role.

As for 3rd line more dangerous offensively: I really don't care. Seriously they could be the least offensive line on the team for all I care. I just care about how successful our top 6 and PP will be before I start worrying about the offensive ability of a 3rd line.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this will goes.
Lando is slotted on the top 6 by the fans. It doens't mean the Avs have him slotted there right now. Camp will decide that.

Besides the examples you gave are top 5 overall picks. Obviously they have more chance to start on top lines. However guys like Iginla, Giroux, St-Louis, Zetterberg, Kesler, Mike Richards, etc all have done time on the 3rd line first. Nothing wrong with it.

AllAboutAvs is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
  #909
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,941
vCash: 500
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 10:12 PM
  #910
andreb888
Registered User
 
andreb888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tusket, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.
when is the camp anyway?

andreb888 is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
  #911
TheStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.
And who's getting demoted then? Hejduk?

TheStranger is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 08:23 AM
  #912
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.
He could get some time on our 3rd line, he's a gritty little punk who isn't afraid to get dirty so he could fit there, and be a nice player alongside his best friend O'Reilly.


Last edited by Ivan13: 07-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Ivan13 is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 08:57 AM
  #913
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
And who's getting demoted then? Hejduk?
Mueller when he gets his head banged again.

hattrick3518 is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 10:16 AM
  #914
TheStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He could get some time on our 3rd line, he's a gritty little punk who isn't afraid to get dirty so he could fit there, and be a nice player alongside his best friend O'Reilly.
I'm reluctant to believe they're best friends. Usually any acquaintance from Junior becomes a "best friend" when they make the NHL. Player A will be traded here because his "best friend from junior" plays here.

TheStranger is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
  #915
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund
 
Kschey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.
That's what people were saying about Stoa.
-> Hishon = bust

Kschey is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 10:25 AM
  #916
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I'm reluctant to believe they're best friends. Usually any acquaintance from Junior becomes a "best friend" when they make the NHL. Player A will be traded here because his "best friend from junior" plays here.
They are, below is a link from DP about him and Radar, i've also read somewhere that Radar, Hishon, Cal O'Reilly, and another prospect (i can't remember wich one) used to go on camping trips to a lake nearby their home, before they were drafted. And i remember that Hishon said when he was drafted how it will be awesome to play with Radar who is one of his best friends .

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_15643879

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  #917
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
And who's getting demoted then? Hejduk?
Jones, he played well with O'Rielly before. Galiradi-O'Rielly-Jones will be a helluva line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He could get some time on our 3rd line, he's a gritty little punk who isn't afraid to get dirty so he could fit there, and be a nice player alongside his best friend O'Reilly.
I know he's gritty but I would like the 3rd line to be great defensively, don't want a rookie in there.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
  #918
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
They are, below is a link from DP about him and Radar, i've also read somewhere that Radar, Hishon, Cal O'Reilly, and another prospect (i can't remember wich one) used to go on camping trips to a lake nearby their home, before they were drafted. And i remember that Hishon said when he was drafted how it will be awesome to play with Radar who is one of his best friends .

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_15643879
Hishon also was at an avs game before he was drafted to see O'Rielly play.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
  #919
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Jones, he played well with O'Rielly before. Galiradi-O'Rielly-Jones will be a helluva line.




I know he's gritty but I would like the 3rd line to be great defensively, don't want a rookie in there.
Yes i agree with this, i personally believe that Hishon should get some time in the AHL first, unless he completely blows our staff away at the training camp.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
  #920
PeterTheGreat
Registered User
 
PeterTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Jones, he played well with O'Rielly before. Galiradi-O'Rielly-Jones will be a helluva line.




I know he's gritty but I would like the 3rd line to be great defensively, don't want a rookie in there.
I'd probably keep Jones in the top six and start out Landeskog with Gally and Radar.

Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Winnik-JMac-Kobasew

PeterTheGreat is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
  #921
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes
 
Bill Peckerskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,986
vCash: 500
I don't see Joey making the team unless he massively out plays Jones, Mueller, Lindstrom, and Landeskog, and forces the Avs hand. Sure, he can look better than Olver, Galiardi, Yip, or Porter, but it makes no sense to just have him sit and watch, or waste him on the 4th line. I'd rather him stay down another year, or two, until Hejduk retires.

Bill Peckerskull is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 05:53 PM
  #922
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I'd probably keep Jones in the top six and start out Landeskog with Gally and Radar.

Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Winnik-JMac-Kobasew
It doesn't really matter, he'll get his season ending injury by November.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
  #923
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Article about Hishon from DP by Terry Frei:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...296?source=rss

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
  #924
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?
 
KingSizeKirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 661
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Article about Hishon from DP by Terry Frei:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...296?source=rss
Thanks for the article

KingSizeKirby is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 05:16 PM
  #925
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zKiRbYz21 View Post
Thanks for the article
No problem.

Ivan13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.