HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Hishon??!!? Who the heck is that?!?!

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
That's what I think as well. He would fit really well with RoR and Gali on the 3rd line. Less pressure and still give him a chance to help these players produce.
Cripes, if Hishon turns out to be NHL ready, that could be an awesome line!

Old
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Cripes, if Hishon turns out to be NHL ready, that could be an awesome line!
that could also lend to a 4th line of Winnik-McClement-Kobasew

Old
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I think he is talented for sure but sending him to Lake Erie for the year is almost certainly a better outcome. If our lineup is too healthy and deep for him to crack that should mean we are a competitive team. The Monsters with him, Rissmiller, Stoa, Olver, and Mauldin should have formidable offense.
Ditto. Why would you have Hishon, a offensive player, be a defensive forward? I mean I could understand Landeskog being on the 3rd line more than Hishon.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Ditto. Why would you have Hishon, a offensive player, be a defensive forward? I mean I could understand Landeskog being on the 3rd line more than Hishon.
Lots of top-6 skilled players have started their career on the 3rd line. It helped them honed their D game first and you have to earn your spot on the top lines. In this case Hishon would play with two players that are very good defensively and he could help make the 3rd line more dangerous offensively. Hishon already is decent defensively so nothing wrong with that line.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
We can afford to be patient with all our skilled rookies. Let them get a few months in Lake Erie and then you can think about promoting them.

Even when they look ready, they could use some time to get adjusted to playing with grown men. I saw Taylor Hall get rocked a bunch of times last season because he simply wasn't used to opponents being so good at exploiting lack of awareness.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
We can afford to be patient with all our skilled rookies. Let them get a few months in Lake Erie and then you can think about promoting them.

Even when they look ready, they could use some time to get adjusted to playing with grown men. I saw Taylor Hall get rocked a bunch of times last season because he simply wasn't used to opponents being so good at exploiting lack of awareness.
I agree. This discussion is in response to people saying he might make the team. I would also prefer he starts in the AHL.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Lots of top-6 skilled players have started their career on the 3rd line.
Could you give me a example? I am shooting blanks. The only player I can recall who did that last was Turris and he hasn't been living up to his potential yet (I find it funny people call him a bust when he isn't).

Jones I guess is also another example. Tho I'd say Jones would be better as a 3rd liner due to his hitting, speed (at that time) and defensive game. Its after he was paired with Stastny and getting top 6 minutes he started breaking out.

Quote:
It helped them honed their D game first and you have to earn your spot on the top lines. In this case Hishon would play with two players that are very good defensively and he could help make the 3rd line more dangerous offensively. Hishon already is decent defensively so nothing wrong with that line.
Really? You have to earn it? Last I recall Duchene practically walked in and got the 2nd line center job and Landeskog, by most accounts on here, is already slotted in a top 6 role.

As for 3rd line more dangerous offensively: I really don't care. Seriously they could be the least offensive line on the team for all I care. I just care about how successful our top 6 and PP will be before I start worrying about the offensive ability of a 3rd line.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this will goes.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Could you give me a example? I am shooting blanks. The only player I can recall who did that last was Turris and he hasn't been living up to his potential yet (I find it funny people call him a bust when he isn't).

Jones I guess is also another example. Tho I'd say Jones would be better as a 3rd liner due to his hitting, speed (at that time) and defensive game. Its after he was paired with Stastny and getting top 6 minutes he started breaking out.

Really? You have to earn it? Last I recall Duchene practically walked in and got the 2nd line center job and Landeskog, by most accounts on here, is already slotted in a top 6 role.

As for 3rd line more dangerous offensively: I really don't care. Seriously they could be the least offensive line on the team for all I care. I just care about how successful our top 6 and PP will be before I start worrying about the offensive ability of a 3rd line.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this will goes.
Lando is slotted on the top 6 by the fans. It doens't mean the Avs have him slotted there right now. Camp will decide that.

Besides the examples you gave are top 5 overall picks. Obviously they have more chance to start on top lines. However guys like Iginla, Giroux, St-Louis, Zetterberg, Kesler, Mike Richards, etc all have done time on the 3rd line first. Nothing wrong with it.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:12 PM
andreb888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I don't think Hishon should play on 3rd line. It's either top 6 or Lake Erie but I do think he can make the team from camp and play in the top 6.
when is the camp anyway?

Old
07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
And who's getting demoted then? Hejduk?

Old
07-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
He could get some time on our 3rd line, he's a gritty little punk who isn't afraid to get dirty so he could fit there, and be a nice player alongside his best friend O'Reilly.

Last edited by Ivan13: 07-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old
07-17-2011, 08:57 AM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Mueller when he gets his head banged again.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:16 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He could get some time on our 3rd line, he's a gritty little punk who isn't afraid to get dirty so he could fit there, and be a nice player alongside his best friend O'Reilly.
I'm reluctant to believe they're best friends. Usually any acquaintance from Junior becomes a "best friend" when they make the NHL. Player A will be traded here because his "best friend from junior" plays here.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
That's what people were saying about Stoa.
-> Hishon = bust

Old
07-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I'm reluctant to believe they're best friends. Usually any acquaintance from Junior becomes a "best friend" when they make the NHL. Player A will be traded here because his "best friend from junior" plays here.
They are, below is a link from DP about him and Radar, i've also read somewhere that Radar, Hishon, Cal O'Reilly, and another prospect (i can't remember wich one) used to go on camping trips to a lake nearby their home, before they were drafted. And i remember that Hishon said when he was drafted how it will be awesome to play with Radar who is one of his best friends .

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_15643879

Old
07-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Jones, he played well with O'Rielly before. Galiradi-O'Rielly-Jones will be a helluva line.

Quote:
I know he's gritty but I would like the 3rd line to be great defensively, don't want a rookie in there.

Old
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
They are, below is a link from DP about him and Radar, i've also read somewhere that Radar, Hishon, Cal O'Reilly, and another prospect (i can't remember wich one) used to go on camping trips to a lake nearby their home, before they were drafted. And i remember that Hishon said when he was drafted how it will be awesome to play with Radar who is one of his best friends .

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_15643879
Hishon also was at an avs game before he was drafted to see O'Rielly play.

Old
07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Jones, he played well with O'Rielly before. Galiradi-O'Rielly-Jones will be a helluva line.

I know he's gritty but I would like the 3rd line to be great defensively, don't want a rookie in there.
Yes i agree with this, i personally believe that Hishon should get some time in the AHL first, unless he completely blows our staff away at the training camp.

Old
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:

I'd probably keep Jones in the top six and start out Landeskog with Gally and Radar.

Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Winnik-JMac-Kobasew

Old
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

I don't see Joey making the team unless he massively out plays Jones, Mueller, Lindstrom, and Landeskog, and forces the Avs hand. Sure, he can look better than Olver, Galiardi, Yip, or Porter, but it makes no sense to just have him sit and watch, or waste him on the 4th line. I'd rather him stay down another year, or two, until Hejduk retires.

Old
07-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I'd probably keep Jones in the top six and start out Landeskog with Gally and Radar.

Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Winnik-JMac-Kobasew
It doesn't really matter, he'll get his season ending injury by November.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Article about Hishon from DP by Terry Frei:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...296?source=rss

Old
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?

vCash: 50