HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

THN: Donald Fehr to stay on with NHLPA in a significant role

Old
06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
THN: Donald Fehr to stay on with NHLPA in a significant role

Quote:
Former MLBPA executive director Donald Fehr to stay on with NHLPA in a significant role
Ken Campbell
The Hockey News 2010-06-26 00:28:00

If rumors circulating around the draft are to be believed, Don Fehr will be a major power broker of the NHL Players’ Association.

A number of sources have confirmed to THN.com that the former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players’ Association intends to stay on with the NHLPA in a significant, decision-making role. Whether that means he’ll be the next executive director or serve in a senior advisory role to work with and groom the next executive director is not known, but several sources maintained Fehr has decided he wants to remain with the NHLPA for the long-term.

It’s believed Fehr was the driving force behind the NHLPA’s decision this past week to both extend the current collective bargaining agreement by one year to the summer of 2012 and for the union to approve the five percent growth factor into the salary cap for 2010-11.

Sources have said a push is on to conduct a vote among the 30 player representatives concerning Fehr’s future so that he can be in place for the North American summer player meetings, which are scheduled for July 13 and 14.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...cant-role.html

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1637323/

Quote:
Donald Fehr has not officially decided if he wants to run the NHL Players’ Association but one of its most well-informed members thinks there is a good chance the former head of the Major League Baseball Players Association will be involved in the next round of collective bargaining at the very least.
So, at a minimum, he could be the lead negotiator.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So, at a minimum, he could be the lead negotiator.
Great, so someone with nothing on the line is running the NHLPA show.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Great, so someone with nothing on the line is running the NHLPA show.
Precisely. Yet more dysfunction. The NHLPA needs' strong leadership. Your either in or out. What incoming leader is going to want Don Fehr pulling the strings, looking over his shoulder or decamping with one or another group within this fractious organization?.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Melrose Munch

I love this guy.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Ruinous labor relations, out of control salaries, have teams far ahead of have-nots.. what's not to love?

Unless you actually like watching NHL hockey, that is.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
I love this guy.
So do I, and hope he decides the role of President is really the only one suitable, as frankly, anything less is, as I stated, dySfUncTiOnal.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Ruinous labor relations, out of control salaries, have teams far ahead of have-nots.. what's not to love?

Unless you actually like watching NHL hockey, that is.
Life isn't fair.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
I love this guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
So do I, and hope he decides the role of President is really the only one suitable, as frankly, anything less is, as I stated, dySfUncTiOnal.
Quote:
Life isn't fair.
Quite the series of oddball posts, folks. Care to elaborate?

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Melrose Munch

Oh GSC I just like The Don's style.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2k2 View Post
Quite the series of oddball posts, folks. Care to elaborate?
He's got the rep, the experience, the heft & understanding of both player & league concerns, a wealth of experience, that hopefully a majority of the players will back.I would like to see him head-up the organization as opposed to being an "advisor" as I believe the NHLPA requires a guy like Fehr, someone with weight & substance in pro sports unions specific, as I believe their are flaws in the CBA that are causing a great number of problems for all clubs, rich & poor alike. As "partners" with the league, why no voice at the Boardroom Table over escrows & floundering franchises?. Additionally, I dont think the players are being heard by the league (or ignored) with respect to rule & equipment changes amongst several other issues.

Has Fehrs "Best Before Date" come & gone?. Does he deserve his reputation?.
You tell me.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

That rep, experience, heft, and understanding of player and league concerns did more damage to MLB than anything this side of denying steroid use before congress. It still hasn't recovered. It's not really looking like it will recover at all without another work stoppage.

That's not the kind of experience and heft I think the league needs right now. Hopefully he has the sense to see this, but betting on sense from the NHLPA has not been a good moneymaker in quite a while.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Oh GSC I just like The Don's style.
1. What do you think his style is?

2. What do you like about it?

Quote:
He's got the rep, the experience, the heft & understanding of both player & league concerns, a wealth of experience, that hopefully a majority of the players will back.I would like to see him head-up the organization as opposed to being an "advisor" as I believe the NHLPA requires a guy like Fehr, someone with weight & substance in pro sports unions specific, as I believe their are flaws in the CBA that are causing a great number of problems for all clubs, rich & poor alike. As "partners" with the league, why no voice at the Boardroom Table over escrows & floundering franchises?. Additionally, I dont think the players are being heard by the league (or ignored) with respect to rule & equipment changes amongst several other issues.

Has Fehrs "Best Before Date" come & gone?. Does he deserve his reputation?.
You tell me.
Let me say this: MLB is not a powerful union because of Don Fehr. They are a powerful union because of Marvin Miller. To the extent he deserves credit for following the principles set out by Miller and has not screwed up the enormous power of the union as established by Miller, I suppose he is due that minimal credit.

Don Fehr is no one to fear (sorry, couldn't resist).

Old
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Killion

Quote:
That's not the kind of experience and heft I think the league needs right now. Hopefully he has the sense to see this, but betting on sense from the NHLPA has not been a good moneymaker in quite a while.
Ya, Millers' "Protege" did make a hash of a lot of it, & talk about a PR nightmare in front of Congress over the steroid issue, but overall was his work that bad?. I didnt follow the meanderings of the MLBPA through his tenure, which was indeed a long one, & besides the doping issue denials, had only heard positives with respect to his challenge over collusion & other matters. If I'm misinformed, please explain.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
danishh

How sure are we that this is coming from him? What it sounds like to me is that the players dont want to give him a vote of confidence until they see what he can do for them.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Killion

Quote:

Let me say this: MLB is not a powerful union because of Don Fehr. They are a powerful union because of Marvin Miller. To the extent he deserves credit for following the principles set out by Miller and has not screwed up the enormous power of the union as established by Miller, I suppose he is due that minimal credit.

Don Fehr is no one to fear (sorry, couldn't resist).
Wow. I dont know what to say. I read the papers on the net (NY Times, Washington Post, Sports Business Journal etc) & though my interest in MLB & the MLBPA has been cursory at best, I was under the impression Fehr was a highly respected individual. A "ferocious negotiater". I figured he'd be ideal for same with NHLPA.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Wow. I dont know what to say. I read the papers on the net (NY Times, Washington Post, Sports Business Journal etc) & though my interest in MLB & the MLBPA has been cursory at best, I was under the impression Fehr was a highly respected individual. A "ferocious negotiater". I figured he'd be ideal for same with NHLPA.
No one would ever characterize Fehr as a "ferocious" anything. He is the cerebral type.

He is certainly a smart enough guy, and his rep is as someone who works on his preparation, but at this level those are table stakes; you get no points for them.

He is highly respected because he runs the most effective union in the world, and that earns you respect. That union has earned that status because Miller developed a culture whereby players appreciate history and honour the sacrifices of prior players, and because union direction is set by players and the leadership goes to great lengths to ensure that players are educated and can give meaningful input.* Hence the imposing degree of solidarity. Fehr did not invent any of this particular wheel; Miller did. Fehr has kept it on the road.

*** - note the enormous contrast between MLBPA practices and how the NHLPA was run as a dictatorship under Goodenow and thereafter, although Kelly seemed to be trying something different.}

Old
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Killion

Quote:
No one would ever characterize Fehr as a "ferocious" anything. He is the cerebral type.

That union has earned that status because Miller developed a culture whereby players appreciate history and honour the sacrifices of prior players, and because union direction is set by players and the leadership goes to great lengths to ensure that players are educated and can give meaningful input.* Hence the imposing degree of solidarity. Fehr did not invent any of this particular wheel; Miller did. Fehr has kept it on the road.

*** - note the enormous contrast between MLBPA practices and how the NHLPA was run as a dictatorship under Goodenow and thereafter, although Kelly seemed to be trying something different.}
Thanks for the clarification. Cerebral is as cerebral does, hardly "ferocious".

Your point regarding the development of a culture whereby current players appreciate the history of the game & honor the sacrifices of past players, are educated on matters, given latitude & in-put has certainly been lacking within the NHLPA since its inception. Forget about the Eagle, those were just wasted decades on so many levels. I had hoped Goodenow wouldve altered course, but he too kept the whip hand ready, while Kelly appeared to have been deposed in a rather bizarre Palace Coup.

Any word/rumor as to who else beyond Fehr the Search Committee's coming up with?. Not liking "Mr. Cerebral" on this one. Sounds like he was more Caretaker than Creator/Innovator.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Hawker14

bettman without flaw.
goodenow a monster.
fehr a patsy.

lol. okay.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
bettman without flaw.
goodenow a monster.
fehr a patsy.

lol. okay.
How very droll. You suggesting Goodenow wasnt a disciplinarian?. Why paint Fehr a "patsy"?. Personally, I'm no fan of Bettman. To whom do you direct the sardonic wit?...

Old
07-13-2010, 12:54 AM
puckhead103*

if fehr gets in, you can kiss the NHL in canada (thats you winnipeg, calgary, edmonton, etc) goodbye....

puckhead103* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
A "ferocious negotiater". I figured he'd be ideal for same with NHLPA.
He was. And is. During his nearly 3 decades running the MLBPA, every other sports union on the continent got weaker while his got stronger. There's more to being "ferocious" than barking like a deranged dog.

The players, assuming they can pull their collective heads out their backsides and stick to a plan, will be in very good hands.

Last edited by Dado: 07-13-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old
07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
He was. And is. During his nearly 3 decades running the MLBPA, every other sports union on the continent got weaker while his got stronger. There's more to being "ferocious" than barking like a deranged dog.

The players, assuming they can pull their collective heads out their backsides and stick to a plan, will be in very good hands.
OK. Now I'm spinning. On the one hand. my initial reports were that this was the case. I must admit I have not followed MLB nor the MLBPA's situation at all much more than reading headlines, like, for 40yrs. I have however been following the dysfunction within the NHLPA, and in that regard, he was spoken of fairly highly in all media reports. Tell ya what Dado; Im going to google this guy to death & then get back to ya on that. I respect peoples opinions, now, Im going mining.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead103 View Post
if fehr gets in, you can kiss the NHL in canada (thats you winnipeg, calgary, edmonton, etc) goodbye....
And why would that be?.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

Whether that plan is any good for the FANS, though, remains highly questionable.

If the NHLPA wants to just make sure things are kept fair, then okay, things will work out.

If they want to try to "get back what they lost", then we're all hooped.

Quote:
And why would that be?.
When the Canadian dollar was low, the NHLPA was far more hostile to the idea of teams in small market Canada than anything haters could ever attribute to league management.

The NHLPA wanted the Oilers gone. More money in Houston, and a better place for players.

This could resurface in the future under a militant NHLPA. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "gone" if Fehr is in, but he is unlikely to be a friend to the Edmontons and Winnipegs of the world.