HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Bernier/Grabner: Reveiw.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Bernier/Grabner: Reveiw.

Steve Bernier: Big kid, very nice and great teammate. Raised by a single mom and great in the community. But he's a bit of a sissy. When he gets a burr in his side he can be tough to handle at times. He seems to drift out of he gameplan and float at times, though he's a hard worker. He'll battle in the corners and go to the net on occassion, though you'd like him to park there. He'll throw the odd hit, but his footspeed is lacking in tight quarters so shifty defencemen usually ellude him. He'll push people around in scrums and help his teammates out, but he ain't fighting anyone. He's a gentle giant type. Hands are terrible and keep him from being a decent power forward. He'll get gaping nets a couple times a game and just can't find a way to bear down, very frustrating. Frustrating is a good word for Bernier. He's got a lot going for him, but will probably always be a bottom six grider. He was paid on potential and didn't earn it. He's a decent skater, but I wouldn't call him fast. Throw him with Olesz and a playmaker, and he could be all right in Florida. Probably good for 15-20 goals and about a 100 TV remote throws.

Michael Grabner: Enigma. He's fast, very fast. He can blow by defenders and is very shifty. Will probably have a career something like Donald Audette. But he's not as feisty so he probably won't hit as many goals as Audette. Typical perimeter scorer, above average shot but not a laser. Underrated playmaker, he's more than just a sniper. His AHL numbers are a concern. Had long stretches of zeros. You would like a young scorer to find ways to put the puck in the net at that level after 2 years there. Probably means he'll be a streaky scorer at the NHL level. He did look dangerous at the NHL level though. Tough to see him go as he was a guy we took a chance on and was slowly getting there. I think he'll be a consistant 20 goal guy that has a chance to break out. Just not sure if he's got the jam to be a consistant impact/elite point producer. Panthers have nothing to lose next season, finally building right. Throw him with Weiss and Booth and let him rip. He could bust out as he was never given that role in Vancouver. He produced in a limited, bottom six role for us. He's small, but he's quick and agile, doesn't take many hits. I don't know much about Howden, so I won't comment.

Good trade overall I think. I like Ballard a lot, Grabner was the tough part to see go as he is deadly fast. Question marks, but looks like the Panthers are headed in the right direction. This weekend will decide the next 3-4 seasons for the Panthers. Huge, look solid though. I've actually followed the Panthers since Bure went there, and I'll be happy when they're a contender. Especially if Grabner is involved.

Good luck.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
panthersfan751

Thanks for giving us some more info.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Reign Nateo

Crazy draft for Florida BTW.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Crazy draft for Florida BTW.
haha thats for sure

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:20 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Grabner at his best:

Bernier at his:

Sorry, couldn't find anything.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Jwads

I don't know how to post links, but if you'll go to about 4:50 of this video you'll see Bernier at his best.

It's just a shame he doesn't make plays like that more often.

Guess I do know how to post links.

Last edited by Jwads: 06-27-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Jwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
Grabner at his best:
Wow did he make Eminger look like a chump!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Vote for Rory

you guys got a very good player in Grabner. A lot of Canuck fans seem to be bashing him a lot lately, though at the end of last season when he came back from injury everybody loved him.

Depending on how he started next year, a Grabner Canuck jersey was going to be my next purchase, I guess I'll have to get him in a Panthers one now.

You guys just gained another fan, can't wait to watch him.

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM
The Big Foot

Could both put up decent numbers and look like solid NHLers on a bad team. Neither one of them should ever be in the core of a championship team.
Grabner was good for about 5 missed scoring opportunities a game. Like shooting five feet wide of a wide open net. I could see him scoring 30 goals, soon. But giving you nothing else. Weak, not very good defensively, has had injuries, has never put up assists. He's one of the most fluid fast skaters I've ever seen. Blew by Scott Niedermayer like he was standing still this April.
Bernier's most valuable ability hasn't been mentioned very much - he's actually a pretty good PKer, with good reach, doesn't overcommit. He was a key part of the Canucks rotation when the PK was actually working this year. Wasn't on the ice for many goals. That could be a factor of not being out there much with Ryan Johnson though (he was horrendous).
These guys are decent enough but the Canucks didn't have much use or space for them, we are simply a better club without them than with them. Maybe Florida has roles for them where they'll flourish, that seems to happen a lot these days. I like both of them so I hope they do well. That said I would much rather have Ballard, he looks like he'll be part of our core for the next five years of his prime. And Orskvchskh fits in to our lineup better than Bernier anyways (well between him on the fourth line throwing checks, and freeing up Bernier's cap hit to chase a better fit for our third line.)
Florida has the luxury of playing Bernier on a bottom line and noone will blink. In Vancouver every player is under the microscope. He'll be better there I imagine.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
If Grabner finds his consistency, boy do you have a player on your hands.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:47 AM
MrRuin

one thing to keep in mind with Grabner and everyone ripping on his consistency: Grabner has improved every single year of his career so far. While he never took big steps or made huge improvements in short time, he always took another small step up the ladder.

Just purely looking at stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77272

last year his stats were lower, however he made the jump to the NHL that year which was only halted by his freak ankle injury in december. He had decent numbers up till then (.50 ppg average playing on the second line and second PP unit).

I think Grabner went from a high risk pick to a possibly promising future winger in the NHL. He has proven he can be a contributing factor if given the chance. Now the chance for a full season in the NHL is there, lets hope he can take the next step forward. For this, Florida is the perfect franchise.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:50 AM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwads View Post
I don't know how to post links, but if you'll go to about 4:50 of this video you'll see Bernier at his best.

It's just a shame he doesn't make plays like that more often.

Guess I do know how to post links.
4:48, absolute power.

Bernier had soooo much potential in his rookie season (he's still go the potential, but has trailed off quite a bit). I remember when he stepped in, the line was Michalek-Marleau-Bernier and boy did those fellas ever tear things up. The stats for his rookie season are deceptive. During the first half of the season San Jose brought him up for 11 games, where he only scored 1 point. The second time they brought him up that season, he scored 26 pts in 28 games.

After that season however, he tumbled around on the 3rd-4th lines (occasionally grabbing a 2nd line spot) but never solidifying himself in an important role. Because San Jose had a lot of depth, he never got too many legitimate chances either. Plus around that time the Sharks were doing a horrible job at developing some of the younger guys. Marcel Goc wasn't being utilized in an offensive role, Matt Carle seemed to be playing as if there was a lot of pressure on him, Ehrhoff wasn't allowed to play his puck moving game. The Sharks' coaching staff was absolutely HORRIBLE at helping out the young players.

He's big, obviously most effective while in front of the net. He's very decent along the boards as well. His passing skills are surprisingly good, looking at his stats though you would never guess that. The guy is just an absolute tank, who for some reason he hasn't put it all together yet. Hope he does well in Florida, he was by far my favorite young gun in San Jose.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Saevel

Great little review, thank you

I think you'll be satisfied with Ballard, I liked him a lot for the Panthers.

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:43 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote for Rory View Post
you guys got a very good player in Grabner. A lot of Canuck fans seem to be bashing him a lot lately, though at the end of last season when he came back from injury everybody loved him.

Depending on how he started next year, a Grabner Canuck jersey was going to be my next purchase, I guess I'll have to get him in a Panthers one now.

You guys just gained another fan, can't wait to watch him.
Thats awesome, we seem to be gaining a few out of market fans this off-season! I will be keeping an eye on the Nucks' too, you guys have a good team(with Balls now!) and I still have a soft spot for Louie.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
4:48, absolute power.

Bernier had soooo much potential in his rookie season (he's still go the potential, but has trailed off quite a bit). I remember when he stepped in, the line was Michalek-Marleau-Bernier and boy did those fellas ever tear things up. The stats for his rookie season are deceptive. During the first half of the season San Jose brought him up for 11 games, where he only scored 1 point. The second time they brought him up that season, he scored 26 pts in 28 games.

After that season however, he tumbled around on the 3rd-4th lines (occasionally grabbing a 2nd line spot) but never solidifying himself in an important role. Because San Jose had a lot of depth, he never got too many legitimate chances either. Plus around that time the Sharks were doing a horrible job at developing some of the younger guys. Marcel Goc wasn't being utilized in an offensive role, Matt Carle seemed to be playing as if there was a lot of pressure on him, Ehrhoff wasn't allowed to play his puck moving game. The Sharks' coaching staff was absolutely HORRIBLE at helping out the young players.

He's big, obviously most effective while in front of the net. He's very decent along the boards as well. His passing skills are surprisingly good, looking at his stats though you would never guess that. The guy is just an absolute tank, who for some reason he hasn't put it all together yet. Hope he does well in Florida, he was by far my favorite young gun in San Jose.
Thanks for the insight! Yeah Bernier was a beast for a while playing with Marleau in San Jose and I hope he can get back to that level with the right line-mates and proper coaching. He was a king with the rebounds and was effective parked around the net for sure. Good to have someone with that potential on our team. A lot of posters here pencil him in on the 3rd and 4th line which I think is a little crazy.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Thanks for the insight! Yeah Bernier was a beast for a while playing with Marleau in San Jose and I hope he can get back to that level with the right line-mates and proper coaching. He was a king with the rebounds and was effective parked around the net for sure. Good to have someone with that potential on our team. A lot of posters here pencil him in on the 3rd and 4th line which I think is a little crazy.
Well, that's really where he belongs, as of right now. Unless he proves he should be playing higher. I think you have to pencil in Frolik, Booth, Grabner, and Stillman ahead of him. I'm hoping he can recapture the form he had in his rookie year as well, but he's gotta prove himself to the coaching staff.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:53 PM
305Pantera

This is certainly encouraging. I believe everyone involved will benefit from the change of scenery. I'm somewhat convinced Panthers fan will love having a guy crash the net in Bernier. Even if he doesn't put up points, I'm sure we'll appreciate what he's doing more. You see, we have guys capable of doing so, but do they really?... It's frustrating, IMO. I'm hoping Bernier actually plays a big part of the culture change going down in Florida. As for Grabner, I definitely see him breaking into the 2nd line, with Booth/Frolik, because of his speed alone.

Another optimistic Panthers fan .

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:17 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well, that's really where he belongs, as of right now. Unless he proves he should be playing higher. I think you have to pencil in Frolik, Booth, Grabner, and Stillman ahead of him. I'm hoping he can recapture the form he had in his rookie year as well, but he's gotta prove himself to the coaching staff.
You are probably right, I was getting a little overly optimistic.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
This is certainly encouraging. I believe everyone involved will benefit from the change of scenery. I'm somewhat convinced Panthers fan will love having a guy crash the net in Bernier. Even if he doesn't put up points, I'm sure we'll appreciate what he's doing more. You see, we have guys capable of doing so, but do they really?... It's frustrating, IMO. I'm hoping Bernier actually plays a big part of the culture change going down in Florida. As for Grabner, I definitely see him breaking into the 2nd line, with Booth/Frolik, because of his speed alone.

Yeah, we need to seriously chain him to the opponents net. "Stay boy, Stay!!!"

Old
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
Hey, why not? This is the only time of the year when we have an equal chance as everybody else.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:42 PM
crazyforhockey

Bernier was more of a force hitting...in his first year.....terrible defensivley.....cost alot of goals in the frist 15-20gms but worked hard that he rarly missed picking up his man.By the end of the first year he was very reliable defensivly...good infront of the net,missed alot of quality chances from the sedins...was eventually bumped down...very good team player.....

Came back after the summer about 15-18 lbs lighter and in better shape....but he seemed easier to knock off stride...and didnt seem any faster....bothered by groin for most of 2nd half and playoffs but still chippped in 4 g(the kind you need gritty ugly goals while being crossed checked in front of the net...very good net prescence which will get better......he is always willing to learn....decent passer and takes a hit to make a play.
If a healthy groin will be a decent forechecker.

Grabner played well with Kesler,Raymond....a very fast line.....pushes the defence back alot even when opponets have the puck....one of the faster players in the league,rocket for a shot.....working at driving to the net more.....still only part of a season out of the AHL.....can be good sniper down the road...and in the east(weaker defences after top 3)
he should be able to blow by some of ther defenders.Still learning two way hockey.decent passer

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I always liked Bernier since his draft year. Hopefully he'll get his **** together and get a chance to play with Weiss

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Yeah, we need to seriously chain him to the opponents net. "Stay boy, Stay!!!"
If that works we'll all be wondering why the same hasn't been done with Rusty haha. Scratch that, at this point, Olesz gets one of those dog chains that chokes when you pull too far

Old
06-29-2010, 09:46 AM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Hey, why not? This is the only time of the year when we have an equal chance as everybody else.
Never thought I'd say this, but looks like we can take a page out of the NY Jets' playbook. Let's start saying we're the champs of the offseason

Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies

before he got hurt early last season, i thought Grabner was about to blow up... he was on some insane pace for 10-12 gms or so IIRC.

and with any luck, FL gets the Bernier that showed up in Buffalo a few seasons back:

hope springs eternal...

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote