HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Ellis scouting report? (Habs fan)

Old
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Dan Ellis scouting report? (Habs fan)

Hey guys.

Just wondering what you can tell me about Ellis's game...I'm a big fan of his, but I haven't had a chance to watch him extensively. Ecstatic we have him now.

Basically would love to know his strengths and weaknesses or whatever else you feel is important. I know he's pretty explosive out there, sometimes to his detriment (rebounds), but your take is probably more accurate than mine.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ellis is a #1 starter for a lot of teams. He has his cold streak but when hes hot hes a top goalie in the league. You will like him for sure

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ellis isn't a superstar goalie or anything, but he can be solid. He had an off year last season, but I think a lot of that had to do with the rotation between he and Rinne. I don't think he ever got his confidence for a long period of time. When he's on he can be money. He also showed us he has another level to his game in a play off series against Detroit. He does give up rebounds, but he's pretty athletic so he can get back usually. Loves to play the puck, which can help on the power play. Of course, I wouldn't know since I'm a fan of a team without that particular special teams luxury. He does have a problem with losing weight during the course of a game, though

I know one thing. The guy is nothing but class. He has a great sense of humor and will be a wonderful locker room presence. If Habs fans boo this guy it'll give me all the more reason to dislike them.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Coldplay
Courage

He sounds exactly like a carbon copy of Cristobal Huet from when he was a Hab seasons ago (forget about him right now, he's fallen off quite a bit), and that's not a bad thing (Huet was serviceable, I'm hoping Ellis can do the same and more).

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I already love Ellis, and I'm stoked we got him - seems very positive at the idea of signing here, we'll see.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

He does a good job of stopping the first shot, but has bad rebound control and will leave a lot of pucks out there up for grabs. He's pretty good with the puck (obviously, since he came out of the Dallas system). He's really agile in goal, but also tends to bite on the first deke in 1v1 situations.

The big thing that keeps Ellis from being a starting goaltender is his consistency. He'll be dynamite for 20 games or so, and then he'll go for a stretch where he regularly gives up 3-5 goals per game. He's really competitive, though, so he always gets fired up come playoff time.

If you're looking for someone to split starts with Price while he develops, Ellis is your man. For anything else, you probably have better options. He's a great guy, though. You'll definitely want to follow his Twitter account.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

When he's on his game, he's better than Rinne, but when he's not, watch out. If you sign him, you'll watch him steal a game for you one night and give up 3 goals on 5 shots the next night.

Personally, I was a huge fan of his. I felt like we should have gone with him over Rinne last year, but obviously Rinne proved me wrong. I still think he can be a quality starter if a team gives him 60 games a year. Hopefully your management can get over their Carey Price mancrush and give Danny a chance.

Off the ice, he's great. His twitter (dellis39), interviews, and any other interactions are always hilarious. He's just a quality guy. Very sad to see him go.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
predfan24

I disagree strongly that Ellis's best is better than Rinne's best. Still that doesn't change the fact Ellis is a very good goalie when he is on his game.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He does a good job of stopping the first shot, but has bad rebound control and will leave a lot of pucks out there up for grabs. He's pretty good with the puck (obviously, since he came out of the Dallas system). He's really agile in goal, but also tends to bite on the first deke in 1v1 situations.

The big thing that keeps Ellis from being a starting goaltender is his consistency. He'll be dynamite for 20 games or so, and then he'll go for a stretch where he regularly gives up 3-5 goals per game. He's really competitive, though, so he always gets fired up come playoff time.

If you're looking for someone to split starts with Price while he develops, Ellis is your man. For anything else, you probably have better options. He's a great guy, though. You'll definitely want to follow his Twitter account.
Spot on, all of it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
When he's on his game, he's better than Rinne, but when he's not, watch out. If you sign him, you'll watch him steal a game for you one night and give up 3 goals on 5 shots the next night.

Personally, I was a huge fan of his. I felt like we should have gone with him over Rinne last year, but obviously Rinne proved me wrong. I still think he can be a quality starter if a team gives him 60 games a year. Hopefully your management can get over their Carey Price mancrush and give Danny a chance.

Off the ice, he's great. His twitter (dellis39), interviews, and any other interactions are always hilarious. He's just a quality guy. Very sad to see him go.
I think you have a point. From what we saw of Ellis, he had gamebreaking abilities that we haven't seen with Rinne. Sorry if I am rocking the boat here but Ellis' performance in the Detroit series a few years ago easily trumps anything that Rinne has put on so far.

Do I think Rinne will develope into that goalie? Yes. I do. Would I rather have Ellis or Rinne? Rinne. Who do I think RIGHT NOW is the better game breaker? Ellis.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Most of Dan's game stealing performances were because of his need to make spectacular saves on 2nd or 3rd shots following poor rebound control on the initial shot. Dan has to make great saves because he has the tendency to become his own worst enemy with some of the rebounds he leaves.

One other issue with Dan is durability. He's yet to demonstrate that he can handle a full time load at the NHL level. He took over mid season to replace Mason, almost losing that role to Rinne late in the year, and lost out to Rinne last season. He's a 1a/1b type goalie ... not sure if he can carry the load as a true #1.

As for the Rinne comparisons .... Pekka has the better career SV%, GAA, win %, and more shutouts.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
As for the Rinne comparisons .... Pekka has the better career SV%, GAA, win %, and more shutouts.
As i said, Rinne proved me totally wrong. I still think If Ellis is given 60+ games, he will turn into a true #1, he just needs a chance to prove it.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
token grinder

Quote:
As i said, Rinne proved me totally wrong. I still think If Ellis is given 60+ games, he will turn into a true #1, he just needs a chance to prove it.
he had a chance....and rinne took his job last year. he had the chance to take it back this year...and rinne closed that door too.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he had a chance....and rinne took his job last year. he had the chance to take it back this year...and rinne closed that door too.
I don't think Gopreds9 is trying to say Ellis is better, I think he is saying RIGHT NOW Ellis' standing on his head is better than Rinne's standing on his head.

BUT I think all of us agree that Rinne is more consistent and is the better goaltender.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote