HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like the (1st round) pick?

View Poll Results: Do you like the pick of McIlrath?
Yes 63 25.71%
No 116 47.35%
Yes and no 66 26.94%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

vCash: 500
Do you like the (1st round) pick?

Now that the first round is over, we can look back on our pick.

We drafted defenseman Dylan McIlrath (6'5" 215 lbs.), who was ranked #15 by Bob McKenzie.

Quote:
Dylan McIlrath, D Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
6-4, 212
Born: April 20, 1992 in Winnipeg, Manitoba
Shoots: Right

Scouting report: Fearsome fighter and shutdown 'D' is a big open-ice hitter and the absolute toughest player in the draft, but a lot of scouts say he has an interesting upside, too.

Strengths: Big, wide body with room for another 20-30 pounds when he's at his physical peak. Very good upper body strength; uses it to staple wingers along the boards or to stand in and give/absorb punches while fighting. Biggest wingspan of any player in the 2010 draft class with an 83-inch reach; allows him to effectively employ a pokecheck on defense, and also comes in very handy when fighting; he ragdolls opponents and keeps them at arm's length while pounding them. Straight-line speed is above average; can get up the ice well once he gets going. A feared open-ice hitter; reads the play well and anticipates where an opponent will be, then lowers the boom. Very good defensive sense- understands his positioning and clears the crease with abandon. Loves the physical aspect of hockey; wants to go out and punish opponents, yet doesn't run around the ice out of control...exhibits measured aggression. Possesses a cannon for a point shot; takes a while on the windup, but the drive is low, heavy and deflectable. After veteran Travis Hamonic was traded to Brandon, was given a bigger role on offense and embraced it, finishing the season with 24 points after having almost zero production before Christmas. Relishes the fighting element of his game-- welcomes any challenger and ended up pounding enough guys early in the season that word got out and he had a relatively quiet second half. Some say he's the most effective and feared fighter to come out of the WHL since Scott Parker in the late-90's. Can throw with both hands; punches hard and can take down an opponent with one solid connection. Creates space for his defense partner; makes opponents think twice when he's on the ice-- players keep their heads on a swivel and account for 'Big Mac' at all times. Very good character and work ethic; highly respected in the dressing room-- a leader. Nasty disposition on the ice, calm and laid-back off it.

Weaknesses: First-step quickness is lacking; needs work on his lateral movement and change of direction. Stiff in the hips; not as fluid when pivoting/transitioning. Doesn't seem to see the ice very well and may lack the proper instincts to be a top-pairing 'D' and power play guy at the next level. Only starting to hone his first pass skills and realizing that he needs to be more effective on the breakout. Defensive positioning and decision-making still need work; can get a little scrambly, and when he does, his flaws are exposed for all to see.

Style compares to: If he continues to develop, Shea Weber or Dion Phaneuf. If he stays where he is/flatlines, Adam Foote with a little Matt Carkner thrown in for good measure.

Projection: Solid No. 4 at the very least, and could develop into a No. 2 if his offensive game picks up more. But what McIlrath will give a team goes well beyond the numbers and measurables because he's a player who can alter the tempo and flow of a game with one big shift. Like Milan Lucic, he can make a thundering hit, blast someone in a fight and conceivably score a goal or set one up all in the span of a minute or so, which is rare for any player. McIlrath made a significant leap in his development, production and toughness from his first WHL season to second, and some talent evaluators think he has the potential to keep his upward development curve going and that the best is yet to come. For all the knocks on his "lack" of offense, he scored as many points as Pysyk (albeit in fewer games, but didn't really get the chance to play that role until after Christmas) and got more points than Derek Forbort, who gets hailed almost universally for his great upside but really didn't generate a ton of offense when you get down to it. I really think this guy has been sold short by fans who haven't really seen him or know a lot about him beyond his defensive acumen and toughness, but who have decided that he's another Mark Stuart. Maybe so, but if he's more than that (and you have to admit-- the numbers from 08-09 to 09-10 are saying something) then people will be kicking themselves for years because he has it in him to be a momentum-changer for his team.

Quotes:

“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.” - Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak to NHL.com

"Offensive ability is not yet there, but many are selling his upside short. Shows flashes of jumping into the offense smartly and ability to shoot the puck. Feet are just a little bit slow. But his stride got longer this season and he does have some decent straight line speed that helps him recover if he get surprised by a speedy forward. (But yes, if a scout writes "good recovery speed" down as a note, that is not really a positive thing.) Underrated first pass ability - just keeps it simple and gets it out of trouble with reliability. That's all he'll need to be an effective NHLer."- Red Line Report's Mike Remmerde in his NHL Draft Notes blog; June, 2010

“I saw him throw three or four thundering hits (in the open ice), but he fought only once. It was almost as if he would make the hit and look around for the inevitable challenge, but nobody wanted to fight him. It was pretty obvious that he had established a reputation and there weren’t too many guys who wanted to tangle with him at that point.”- NHL scout to New England Hockey Journal; June, 2010

Quote:
"It's scary to see how far he's come from where he was at in August in 2008 to the middle of February," Moose Jaw coach Dave Hunchak told NHL.com. "The improvement on him is one of the biggest improvements I've seen in a single player ever."

The 6-foot-4, 212-pound defenseman had 7 goals, 24 points and a plus-20 rating in 65 games, and his 169 penalty minutes were seventh in the WHL.

Those numbers aren't bad for someone who really didn't put his full effort into the game until two seasons ago.

"He didn't play midget hockey at 15. The next year he's playing in the Western Hockey League," said Hunchak. That's the equivalent of a football player jumping to Division I without playing in high school. "To make that step and come the distance he's come, I really can't tell you what the ceiling is for him."

Now, Hunchak sees nothing but good things, with even more to come. Next is continuing to add an offensive element to his game. McIlrath finished second in the hardest shot contest at January's CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, launching a 91.8 mph rocket.

"I feel he's very similar to (Islanders prospect) Travis Hamonic," said Hunchak. "When we had Travis at 17, he was drafted as a simple, stay-at-home defenseman. At 19 he was still that guy, but he led our league in scoring as a defenseman. He didn't sacrifice the defensive play; he added the other element by doing things at the right time. Dylan, once he figures out what his foundation is as a player, with regards to being hard and a physical player to play against, he can add that (offense) going forward. It's just a matter of you're 17 years old, you're 6-5 and 215 pounds, with size 14 feet and a high-pace game. It's going to take some time."

There's no reason to doubt McIlrath will bring that offensive element into his game. Considering how far he's already come in such a short time, there's no reason to doubt him.

"What I like about Dylan is how raw he is," said Hunchak. "I don't know what his max potential is going to be if he continues on the pace he's on."

Last edited by HockeyGuy1985*: 06-25-2010 at 10:25 PM.
HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Crap I voted yes, I wanted to say yes and no... Oh well...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
No do not like it. Hate it.

I liked that they found a real need, a physical dman but why they decided to use the 10th OV pick to fix that need, 3-4 years down the road is beyond my understanding. 10th OV you pick BPA which this guy was not. Physical dmen can be found via trade, even on waivers sometimes. Ughhhhhhh

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
NYRMatt

He was ranked 15th by TSN for a reason, the guy wasn't an out of the left field pick and for that reason, I have grown to warm up to it. The only negative to this selection is that he is a defenseman and we do have an over abundance of defenseman in the system and not much room for more additions.

I preferred Fowler, I preferred Tarasenko... But, I'm not pissed about McIlrath. Let's see how he develops show we?

Also of note is that we signed Mats Zuccarello Aasen, who should at least make up for some of this. You have to figure if he was in this drafted that he goes Round 1 - 3. Let's not forget about him.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

No, I didn't like the pick. It comes down to asset management. I have absolutely no problem with taking the guy you want - and I have no problem with McIlrath at ALL. I will root for him as long as he wears our jersey. BUT if you know he's on everyone else's list around #20, it behooves you to get SOMETHING else and trade down. WHY do my teams never do this...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:06 PM
darko

Yes and No

I like the fact that we drafted a tough SOB on the blue line that will drop gloves with anyone and clear the crease.

He was ranked #15 and we took him 10th ... that's not bad. What I dont like is that we took him with guys like Forbort and Fowler on board.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
No do not like it. Hate it.

I liked that they found a real need, a physical dman but why they decided to use the 10th OV pick to fix that need, 3-4 years down the road is beyond my understanding. 10th OV you pick BPA which this guy was not. Physical dmen can be found via trade, even on waivers sometimes. Ughhhhhhh

Really? a 6'5" 215 lb 18 year old who is the most feared in his league (with guys 3 years older) with good defensive skills and shot?

This kids not done growing, and not done improving, period. I think he will be at least a 3/4 D guy, a Beukeboom crease clearing type player that really is only found via trade IF AVAILABLE and HARDLY on waivers. Not when theyre ****ing good.

It will be good to know we have a player like this in our system and im sure many will forget about where he was picked when hes clearing the crease for Lundqvist in a few years.

Fowler and Gormley to me, while the best defensemen available, are soft and we have enough of them.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Hell no. Whoever is voting yes is just reaching for anything to try to justify this terrible, terrible pick at #10, especially considering who was left.

Hmm a potential 40 goal scorer, and game changer defenseman with elite skating skills or a 5/6 dman who is slower then a snail? Good work Clark!

TSN made a complete mockery of the pick, and rightfully so.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Really? a 6'5" 215 lb 18 year old who is the most feared in his league (with guys 3 years older) with good defensive skills and shot?

This kids not done growing, and not done improving, period. I think he will be at least a 3/4 D guy, a Beukeboom crease clearing type player that really is only found via trade IF AVAILABLE and HARDLY on waivers. Not when theyre ****ing good.
Let me guess...you've never seen him play, right?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
No, I didn't like the pick. It comes down to asset management. I have absolutely no problem with taking the guy you want - and I have no problem with McIlrath at ALL. I will root for him as long as he wears our jersey. BUT if you know he's on everyone else's list around #20, it behooves you to get SOMETHING else and trade down. WHY do my teams never do this...?
Apparently Anaheim and Dallas were intersted in him, they were picking just behind us. Looks like the Rangers are pretty high on McIlralth and didn't want to take the risk.

Old
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yes and No

I like the fact that we drafted a tough SOB on the blue line that will drop gloves with anyone and clear the crease.

He was ranked #15 and we took him 10th ... that's not bad. What I dont like is that we took him with guys like Forbort and Fowler on board.
And your boy on your avatar....

Old
coolbean04

No, I HATE it!!!

We could've had offensive Dmen in MDZ, Fowler, Sang and stay at home guys in Staal, McDonagh, and Valentenko/Kundratek/Sauer of the future.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:10 PM
NikC

another defenseman may mean that we are indeed trading for scoring or signing some scorers via UFA

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
another defenseman may mean that we are indeed trading for scoring or signing some scorers via UFA
Not sure why people are automatically jumping to this conclusion. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I hardly see the connection. McIlrath is nowhere near NHL ready.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
No, I HATE it!!!

We could've had offensive Dmen in MDZ, Fowler, Sang and stay at home guys in Staal, McDonagh, and Valentenko/Kundratek/Sauer of the future.
I'm curious to see where McIlrath will rank in our depth chart...

Old
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
And your boy on your avatar....

Well I wanted Tarasenko.

I only used 2 D-men (Forbort and Fowler) as a comparison. If a defensman was the way to go with 1st pick, 1 of those 2 should've been it.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont hate the player. i hate the pick.

theres a difference here, and its huge.

Its like the Rangers taking Evgeny Grachev in the first round during his draft year. It wouldnt have been a bad pick, but, taking him in the 3rd round, and doing something else with the early pick would be smarter.

Get what I mean?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Let me guess...you've never seen him play, right?

Not sure where you get that from him being good defensively and having a heavy shot.

Is he not 6'5"? 215 lbs?

If youre implying he isnt any of the above, do you watch him play?

Old
06-25-2010, 10:15 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Not sure why people are automatically jumping to this conclusion. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I hardly see the connection. McIlrath is nowhere near NHL ready.
true, but maybe not as long as people think either. With the need for scoring so glaring, why ANOTHER DEFENSEMAN! Why sign this guy when you have McDonaugh ready to make the team?

I gotta think they're gonna move some excess D for scoring now.

I have to say i wanted Tarensenko, but i like this pick alot.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

I see them making a move with our defensive guys as chips.. Gotta be.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. We thought there was before this, now there definitely is.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
rickyrod

I like that we finally drafted a beast on the blueline, but I think we probably could have traded back a few spots and gotten a third rounder and still gotten him or Fowler or Tarasenko.

Anyone else see McIlrath and Fire Sather were both top trending topics on twitter in NYC tonight?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I love this pick. The kid looks like a future Jeff Beukeboom.

Everyone who began following the draft in recent years thinks that there will be 30-40 goal scorers available at #10, but there won't be.

A #10 pick usually turns into a third liner or worse.

Beukeboom > Malhotra.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Not sure where you get that from him being good defensively and having a heavy shot.

Is he not 6'5"? 215 lbs?

If youre implying he isnt any of the above, do you watch him play?
I'm implying that players who have terrible hockey sense and decision making ability in junior hockey rarely make a 180 in that regard. If players don't have the mental part of their game by the time they get drafted, they usually don't end up getting it in the NHL.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I love this pick. The kid looks like a future Jeff Beukeboom.

Everyone who began following the draft in recent years thinks that there will be 30-40 goal scorers available at #10, but there won't be.

A #10 pick usually turns into a third liner or worse.

Beukeboom > Malhotra.
Keep dreaming and telling yourself that.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Greg02

If Clark made the call, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It just seems like we drafted for a need that can be filled through FA or in later rounds. We're already saturated with defensive prospects, and McIlrath won't be ready for 3-4 years... so the need may already be met by then. We really could have used a top offensive player. If Gordie Clark says none were available, so be it. If Glen Sather saw a big body and blindly overruled all objections, then I'm very, very annoyed.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote