HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bobby Sanguinetti traded to Hurricanes for 2010 6th rd pick and 2011 2nd rd pick

Old
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
So let me see:

2007: Cherepanov - died
2006: Sanger - bust
2005: Staal - good pick
2004: Monty, Korps - busts
2003: Jessiman - bust
2002: No first round pick
2001: Blackburn - injured
2000: No pick
1999: Brendl, Lundmark - busts
1998: Malhotra - bust
1997: Cherneski - injured
1996: Brown - bust
1995: no pick
1994: Cloutier - bust (a bad starter is nothing to waste a pick on)

So since the Cup, we managed to draft one good player (Staal) and a couple bad ones who aren't worth it.

Everyone now has big hopes for the kids drafted post 2008, but it's really too early to judge 19-20 year olds.
Leaving out Del Zotto is a little disingeneous.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
This is just weird. Not only do we pass on Fowler, but then we trade Sangs too and for this return..?

A year from now, when Sangs will be doing for Carolina what Lidster did for the Rangers (not for Van, for us when he was old), you will all be happy that we have that additional second rounder.

I just hope it will be used to draft another Christian Thomas rather than to rent another Antropov.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

I did mention that this was up to 2007. Those 14 picks produced only one player of note - Staal.

In fact, the last player prior to Staal who was an above average NHLer was Kovalev in 1991.

So in all the years since Brian Leetch in 1986, we only got Kovalev and Staal. MDZ looks to be the third guy, but 2 decent players in 21 drafts from 1987 to 2007 is horrific.

We'll see how MDZ turns out. He's looked great for a 19-year-old, but he'll need to take significant steps forward to go from a nice rookie on the third pair to a star defenseman.

We don't know what he will actually be in half a dozen years.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Levitate

Eh, not great but I'm guessing Sather has been shopping Sanguinetti for awhile now and there wasn't much market for him

2nd round pick could be something nice, even in a weak draft. Rangers seem to do good in the 2nd lately

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Before everyone absolves Clark of blame in Sanguinetti, let's remember the draft video. Clark announced the pick and if I remember right, there was video on MSG where the scouts said we want to pick Sanguinetti and Maloney says, yes, that's a good pick. C'mon guys, I love what Gordie has done the last few years but he was in on this one.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Levitate

I still dont' think Sanguinetti was necessarily a really bad pick or player...i bet he still makes the NHL and does alright. Del Zotto just ended up being better and the Rangers seem like they didn't feel there was a place for him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

A depressing thought I just had...Ottawa gave up the 16th pick for Rundblad...David Runblad had more value than Sanguinetti...and the Blues got Tarasenko...I think I need to drink.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
bmundus

I like Sanguinetti i was hoping he would get a shot this year. For those complaining he got passed up for this guy and that guy, you don't bring up O D-man when you need to bring up a 6/7th.
he was the fastest player in the ahl. He is 6 foot 3. But he still needs some weight added.
He has talent. not the O threat that most wanted but i think his ceiling was like a Poti or Mara. that's fine with me. They were very similar they also had higher exceptions but had to settle for being a serviceable number 4. He was just lacking the vision of a top pairing O D-man. This will bite the Rangers in the @ss.
Do you think the brass is really high on Kundratek developing more of a O game? If not, why make this trade unless you trade for another O D is coming or a UFA signing?

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'll even disagree on the Cloutier pick. For all his flaws, a starter is a starter.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
I did mention that this was up to 2007. Those 14 picks produced only one player of note - Staal.

In fact, the last player prior to Staal who was an above average NHLer was Kovalev in 1991.

So in all the years since Brian Leetch in 1986, we only got Kovalev and Staal. MDZ looks to be the third guy, but 2 decent players in 21 drafts from 1987 to 2007 is horrific.

We'll see how MDZ turns out. He's looked great for a 19-year-old, but he'll need to take significant steps forward to go from a nice rookie on the third pair to a star defenseman.

i would consider Niklas Sundstrom a success, he was a good player for us, maybe not 1st line quality but he definetly was 2nd line quality

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Edge

Quote:

I think you're sampling size is too large.

Additionally, I think you have to acknowledge that since 2005 we've been doing a much, much better job.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Edge

I think the writing was on the wall for Sanguinetti this past season.

When guys like Gilroy and MDZ beat you for a spot and you proceed to not take your game up a level, this is going to happen.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
i would consider Niklas Sundstrom a success, he was a good player for us, maybe not 1st line quality but he definetly was 2nd line quality
Sunny had a couple of borderline second line seasons, but most of his career has been as a third liner. Not great for an 8th overall pick in a decent draft year.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Additionally, I think you have to acknowledge that since 2005 we've been doing a much, much better job.

Two years ago, I heard that we've been doing much better since 2004 when most people here were loving Korps and Monty was still regarded as a top prospect.

We'll see how things will play out. 2005 was a good pick and 2006 was a bad one, while 2007 was a tragedy. MDZ is looking good, but Kreider is still very much an unknown.

If Kreider and MDZ work out, we can say that we turned the corner in 2005. But it's too early to say that yet.

As far as MDZ is concerned, there's a big difference between being a great rookie and a great veteran.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

why couldn't it have been us who got Tarasenko for Sanguinetti instead?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
bubba5

Sangs will never be a NHL defenseman, out of shape, not tough and does not have enough offensive talent to make up for all that. Good move to cut your loses, problem is we cut our losses on all our 1st round picks

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Edge

Quote:
Two years ago, I heard that we've been doing much better since 2004 when most people here were loving Korps and Monty was still regarded as a top prospect.

We'll see how things will play out. 2005 was a good pick and 2006 was a bad one, while 2007 was a tragedy. MDZ is looking good, but Kreider is still very much an unknown.

If Kreider and MDZ work out, we can say that we turned the corner in 2005. But it's too early to say that yet.

As far as MDZ is concerned, there's a big difference between being a great rookie and a great veteran.
For all the complaining about 2004, it's produced two core forwards for us, another NHL forward in Korpikoski and possibly a fourth in Dane Byers.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Sangs will never be a NHL defenseman, out of shape, not tough and does not have enough offensive talent to make up for all that. Good move to cut your loses, problem is we cut our losses on all our 1st round picks
Again, in the last 5 years, we've done this once.

This team has it's flaws, but let's be reasonable about this.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
For all the complaining about 2004, it's produced two core forwards for us, another NHL forward in Korpikoski and possibly a fourth in Dane Byers.
I'll never let you hear the end of that Olver pick

Yeah I know, I know, Florida liked him and all that jazz.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'll never let you hear the end of that Olver pick

Yeah I know, I know, Florida liked him and all that jazz.....
At the time it was worth a shot, second rounds are funny like that.

For every Anisimov, there are five Bruce Graham's.

For every Stepan, there are five Olver's.

Old
06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
this is just horrendous asset management. Why are we selling low here? Were better off holding on to him and seeing what can happen. guy has been an all-star at every level he has played at. What the hell are they thinking. At least give him a legit shot and see what he has got. give him 20 games or something like they did Lisin...dont just give up on a prospect who has been an offensive machine at every level.

this is just sickening.
I agree 100% with you Inferno. If our defense was filled 1-6 with quality players this past season then obviously you don't push one of them out for Sangs. Considering the cluster $%#@ our defense was you are gonna have a hard time convincing me we couldn't have found some icetime for him.

This is what happens when you are paying a #6 D-man 6.5 mill a year. That #5/#6 slot which ideally could be used to bring young kids along. By giving them limited minutes a night and keeping them away from the other teams top players. Is being clogged up by Wade Redden.

What would everyone rather have seen this past season? Wade Redden continue his 4 year decline as a hockey player as he enters his mid 30's. Or a 22 year old former first round pick get NHL experience so we see what we have?

Same old stuff under the Sather regime. I love that people still defend this guy. It just shows you that if you set your expectations really low you'll never be disappointed. You can sufficiently torture your mind into thinking any move isn't that bad or not a big deal. You just need the right combination of low expectations and delusional optimism.

I said this once before and I still feel this way. I feel like some Ranger fans are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. They have been held captive under the Sather regime so long that they have now started to sympathize with their captor. Some type of case study should be done on this.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:53 PM
bubba5

Once! other than staal What first round pick has made a contribution to this team in the last 20 years!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

In the 5 years from 2000-04, do you know how many teams have more than 50% of their 1st round picks as successful NHLers, regardless of whether they play for their original draft team or not?

Anaheim, Atlanta, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Washington.

Not sure what my point is here. The Rangers are far from alone in relative draft ineptitude. On the other hand, there are plenty of very good teams not on that list and some bad teams actually making the list, so having a first rounder not pan out for us is not the end of the world.

The real problem here is that, since 2000, the team is 2 for 8 in 1st round picks, not including Kreider last year who looks good. Granted, two more of those were out of their control (and according to some, it's three if you include Jessiman). It's still disheartening.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

People like to complain more than they do experience even the smallest bit of success.

I laughed earlier when for the 1000th time someone complained about the "decades" of failure as if we didn't win in 94.
You wanna say the drafting from 95-03 was disgusting at best I find it hard to complain. But lumping 04 in (The year we got Dubs and ZCally and possibly Weise) is short sighted and skewed at best. Did our first pan out that year? No but look at the overall draft. Getting a Dubs and Cally every year would be fine with me and any team.

Since 05 we've gotten great drafts. 06 was kinda a let down. But 07-now has been astounding. The prospects have been developing which is much more than we can say for Jessiman, Montoya, Sangs, etc. Next we see if some guys can start making it like Dubs and Cally did, like Artie and MDz are making it. Stepan, grachev, Kreider, Weise, Byers all look like they will make the team but obviously we should wait 2 or 3 more years before giving verdicts on them. Still we actually have prospects who are doing so well they are nominated as top prospects by other scouts and organizations besides the Rangers. That is not meaningless and should not be ignored especially since it's recent history not distant history with other office personnel.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Once! other than staal What first round pick has made a contribution to this team in the last 20 years!
besides him and now Del Zotto i cant think of any

Malhotra.... at least he is still in the NHL... and not a bust. Wish Sather kept Malhotra in that Rucinsky deal

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote