Do Flames fans cheer for the Oilers?

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Oiltown16

vCash: 500
Do Flames fans cheer for the Oilers?

Now I know this seems completely obvious with an "of course not, you fool!"
but since the playoffs have started, myself and what seems like all of Edmonton has been cheering on the Flames to win the Cup.
My question:

When the Flames are out of the playoffs, do you guys cheer for the Oilers to do well?

Old
05-20-2004, 09:41 PM
VO #23

If they played Toronto, possibly.

Old
05-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Jeffoo

I do , but its hard not to when your dads a super fan. I cheer for them all the time inless they are playing the flames!
:lol

Old
05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
It would be difficult to pull for the Oilers, and you have to look at the situation of who they play; any other Canadian teams (and which ones you dislike coughcough Toronto coughcough). Tough question. Oilers have a good makeup, and i think if they shore up their D a little next year they could make some noise.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:54 PM
zoidberg

I like the Oilers during the regular season - in fact they were my second or third favorite team when I didn't go to HF. Then I met hemskyfan and his ilk and, well, you know how the story sometimes goes.

But Mike York is a great player and I love Smyth (other than his clip the goalie move) and I like the Oilers forward and prospect depth. Their defense is shady, though. I'm not a fan at all. But I like their goaltending. I think it's got the potential for a Rolo/Fernie combo.

Old
05-20-2004, 11:35 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Nope absolutely not. I've never cheered for the Oilers during the playoffs.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:08 AM
DBC Tweeker

No. Just..... no.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
kruezer

I do, as long as they ain't playing Calgary (of course), Vancouver (the hometown, gotta cheer for them) and Tampa Bay (I'm a closet TB fan, I'll admit to liking the ATL while I'm at it)

Pretty well I cheer for them in the POs as long as they don't draw Calgary or Vancity.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Hitman*

No. But that is more of a relation rivalry than anything. I may wish them well like I do all the Canadian teams, maybe a bit more because they are from Alberta, but I'll never cheer for them, just casually support them if the Flames are out.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:53 AM
OMA

Last year when Edmonton made the playoffs most of the Calgary sports bars were behind the Oilers.

I'd say the general sentiment is that the die-hards can't cheer for the Oilers, but the general public embraces the whole "Alberta's Team" idea.

I'm somewhere in between. If they were to go deep in the playoffs and Calgary was out, I don't think I could cheer for them. I wouldn't be upset if they won, I'd probably be a bit jealous. I'd give them the respect that they deserve though.

Last edited by OMA: 05-21-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old
05-21-2004, 02:01 PM
commish

Send a message via Yahoo to commish
Nope absolutely not. I've also never cheered for the Oilers during the playoffs. A few years ago when the Flames eliminated the Oilers from the playoffs in the last days of the regular season, that was my mini-Stanley Cup!

I'm a diehard Flames fan (since day 1) in Southwestern Ontario, and it blows my mind when I hear a Red Wing (or Leafs) fan say, "If the Leafs don't win it, I'm cheering for the Red Wings." -- what the hell is up with that?

That's the difference between a diehard fan, and a fairweather (playoff season) spectator.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
I don't have a large hatred for the Oilers. I never really have. I'd cheer for them over Toronto and Vancouver any day of the week, and I do root for them in the playoffs. I don't think they are very far away from making some noise next year. If they re-sign Nedved, and have Hemsky, and a young guy like Rita breakthrough, and, add a quality d-man, the playoffs should not be far out of reach for them. I will admit that I am a Devils die hard first and foremost, but I have always cheered for the hometown Flames as long as I have been cheering for the Devils.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
05-21-2004, 03:39 PM
chayter_con1

Send a message via Yahoo to chayter_con1
. . . But I like their goaltending. I think it's got the potential for a Rolo/Fernie combo.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree on that comment with Jussi and Ty together then the Oil could pull a minny and jusy hop back and forth for a while b/w goalies until a true starter emerges. If one never emerges then as long as they are winning then just go with the flow. If they could teach Jussi to box then they could tag team other goalies, bwahahaha!!!

As for who I do and dont cheer for, Oils then Flames sure there is a rivalry there but everyone deserves their chance at glory. All of Canada is pumped for the Flames, it sholdnt be a matter of oiler fans cheering its a matter of this great country cheering them on.

GO FLAMES GO!!

Old
05-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Ozy_Flame

HELLZ YEAH I cheer on the Oilers! Screw that ball-and-chain, one-team devotion monkey fodder! That's so bloody ancient, something I'd expect Cowperson or Tranny to preach (all you CP'ers know who I'm talking about). I like Albertan hockey any which way you put it, and if the Oilers were the ones in our position, you can damn well bet I'd get into an Oilers frenzy! I always enjoyed watching them in the playoffs, and man-o-man can their playoff efforts get intense! I love it!

GO CALGARY GO! GO OILERS GO! GO CANADA GO!

Old
05-21-2004, 06:03 PM
icarus

No. The reason is because I know several Oiler fans here who always made sure to give me the gears when their team was (losing) in the playoffs, while the Flames were on the outside looking in. And because of the spirit of the rivalry.

Old
05-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by commish
That's the difference between a diehard fan, and a fairweather (playoff season) spectator.
Now check out some of that same silliness here:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=78992

Old
05-21-2004, 11:30 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
i hate ty conklin, but i like ryan smyth. it's hard to say

Old
05-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Phanuthier*

Regular season, no. I wanted the Oilers out.

Playoffs... well I wouldn't say I "cheer" - I certinaly wanted and hoped they'd win the cup and bring it home. But as a Calgary Flames fan, I'm not allowed to cheer for the Oilers... dispite the fact that I have no hatred to the Oilers whatsoever since the BOA was before my time. I wanted to see the Oilers win before, and if they make it next season, then I'll want to see them where the Flames are now, as long as they arn't in the Flames way.

Old
05-22-2004, 03:25 AM
Oiltown16

Quite interesting comments on this...I am much the same as most of you, while I'm not exactly cheering for the Flames, I am "cheering" for them....if that makes sense lol

Old
05-22-2004, 05:22 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Yes.

However, we cheer for you because of the fast-paced/up-tempo game you play....not because we have an affinity for our northern neighbors.

Old
05-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Sethis

I'm an Oilers fan first and foremost my self but in any game when thir not against the Oilers (Or not eliminating the Oil from the playoffs in some way, shape or form) Calgary is eeeeeeasily my favorite team.

I've lived in Calgary my whole life (My family lived in Edmonton until near the end of 88, when they moved to Calgary and I was born shortly thereafter) and admittedly used to despise them, but around the 99-00 season when pieces were falling into place (I've always loved Iggy, Gauthier, Regehr, Lydman, Morris, Giguere and Savard) I started to really like them. When they got Conroy is probably around the time they were officially my second-favorite team. When Button and Gilbert got the boot I was ecstatic and then Sutter got there and I loved em.

As much as it hurts that the Oil can't do it, this playoff run is extremely exciting and well-deserved. FLAMES FOR THE CUP! (Wouldn't 17th be nuts?)

edit: Does anyone know (or have an estimate of) how much money the Flames will have made by the end of Game 4?

Old
05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
Now I know this seems completely obvious with an "of course not, you fool!"
but since the playoffs have started, myself and what seems like all of Edmonton has been cheering on the Flames to win the Cup.
My question:

When the Flames are out of the playoffs, do you guys cheer for the Oilers to do well?
Do Canada fans cheer for the Russians? HELL NO! If your cheering for the Russians you are not a Canadian fan or vice versa, never both! Same thing applies to the Oliers-Flames.

Old
05-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
No. The reason is because I know several Oiler fans here who always made sure to give me the gears when their team was (losing) in the playoffs, while the Flames were on the outside looking in. And because of the spirit of the rivalry.
It's a great feeling, knowing that Oilers fans are now concerned with the Entry Draft. Meanwhile, our boys are preoccupied with working conscientiously toward getting their names etched on Lord Stanley's Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Do Canada fans cheer for the Russians? HELL NO! If your cheering for the Russians you are not a Canadian fan or vice versa, never both! Same thing applies to the Oliers-Flames.
Actually, many did eactly that at the Corel Centre during the '96 World Cup: Russia vs. USA. Alexei Yashin gave them much to jeer about in the years to come, but we'll cut them *some* for that sorry display, since he was a Senator, at the time. By the same token, Shawn McEachern was also a Sen at that time.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 05-23-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old
05-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
Okay, why the hell do you flames fans hate the leafs so much? What did they ever do to you? There's no leafs vs. flames rivalry going on. Most of us don't hate the FLAMES. In fact I don't mind them or the oilers.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer4Life
Okay, why the hell do you flames fans hate the leafs so much? What did they ever do to you? There's no leafs vs. flames rivalry going on. Most of us don't hate the FLAMES. In fact I don't mind them or the oilers.
I'll give ya 10 reasons.

1. Pat Quinn
2. Darcy Tucker
3. Tie Domi
4. The Shayne Corsons and Travis Green's of the past
5. The vast amount of annoying, unrealistic, rude or flat out stupid fans that patrol these boards and really everywhere in the world of hockey fans (While I do know that there are many great Leafs fans out there)
6. Al Strachan
7. The rest of their biased writers/analysts/media
8. The fans and their constant overhyping of everything that touches Toronto
9. The mentality that every single free agent is going to the Leafs
10. Bryan Marchment

Closed Thread