HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago / Buffalo Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2004, 07:22 PM
VaporXX

vCash: 500
Chicago / Buffalo Proposal

Buf: Thibault & Arnason
Chi: Biron & Greir

Old
05-20-2004, 07:59 PM
GaryU

Nice trade. For Buffalo. A goalie for a goalie, and a grinder for a scorer. Don't see that happening.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
Nice trade. For Buffalo. A goalie for a goalie, and a grinder for a scorer. Don't see that happening.

It favors Buffalo by a fair degree. Arnason > Grier (although I do like Grier), and Thibault > Biron. Also, I think Grier is a FA this summer.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Teemu

Pass

Old
05-20-2004, 08:27 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXX
How about Biron and Kotalik for Thibault and Arnason?

Old
05-20-2004, 08:28 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Also, I think Grier is a FA this summer.
Yes, a restricted one though.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
How about Biron and Kotalik for Thibault and Arnason?

That isn't much better.

Try Pyatt, Biron, and 2nd rounder.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:31 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
That isn't much better.

Try Pyatt, Biron, and 2nd rounder.

That sounds about right.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:32 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Biron and thibaults stats are similar. the only difference is Chicago dont have a legit backup so his had the rein easier. biron is there when it counts. No go. Take out Biron and Thibaut, and start. Oh and Grier had a +10, 9P in 14G with Drury and Hecht. his NOT moving.

Pyatt, Kotalik for Arnason.

Old
05-21-2004, 07:13 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
so buffalo gets the best 2 players by far out of the deal for a ok non-proven young goalie thats not even too much younger then Thibault.

T-bo has 277 wins with a 2.69 gaa, amazing 36 shutouts, and .905 sv%
biron has 101 wins in about 200 less games too then thibault, a 2.44 gaa, .911 sv% and 17 shutouts.

Id definitly take t-bo over biron any day of the week.

Then grier VS arnason? Arnason is 4 years younger then Grier, and there a team that lacks scoring, why would they want to add a big OK 3-4th liner when they dont even need it.

to me its not even fair, buffalo needs to add something, like a pick or a prospect, Chicago isnt stupid... No offense but i think this proposal is way off

Old
05-21-2004, 10:17 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
I see about 3 problems with this proposal.
#1. Buffalo's top 3 lines is made up of decent scorers just like Arnason. However, a veteran physical player is only found in Grier and Mair on the Sabres lineup.
#2. Thibault, while a slight upgrade over Biron, isn't signifigant enough. Its a lateral move for both teams, IMHO.
#3. While valuewise the deal is ok, I doubt Chicago would make it.

Old
05-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Considering Tee-bo is more expensive, more injury prone, older, and has worse production in the last three years and when comparing career stats, I can't see how he's "an upgrade" on Biron.

Old
05-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Takeo

Quote:
The Sabres would be better served freeing up space in net and in the forward corps rather than treading water with lateral moves.

Old
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Nevermind Chicago not making this trade, I wouldn't make this move from a Sabres perspective.

If they're going to trade a goaltender, it'll be one of Mika Noronen or Ryan Miller. They wouldn't be bringing a goalie back, either. Marty Biron will be that team's starter for quite some time with one of the aforementioned goaltenders as his back-up. No need to acquire another goalie.

Also, Mike Grier is extremely valuable to the Sabres. He played VERY well for them and was hitting everything in sight. It's Buffalo, they appreciate their honest, hard workers more than anything. Lindy Ruff likes Grier alot, too, and would be wise to keep him as a legitimate big presence on the right side. He is a third line player realistically, but can play on the second line without looking out of place.

I also question Tyler Arnason's presence in the dressing room. He's been in the league for only two years and has had two incidents.

1) Phil Housely and him took Theoren Fleury to a bar, got him loaded, and then watched as Fleury got pummeled by eight bouncers. Good job, guys.

2) Again at a bar, coach Brian Sutter had to be physically restrained by Blackhawk players as Arnason had been mouthing off and stirring ***** all night long.

The kid has talent, and seems like an intelligent person in his interviews, but I am not so sure I'd welcome his presence in the room, especially on a team like the Sabres that demands team chemistry and co-operation to succeed under Ruff's system.

Old
05-21-2004, 11:20 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Nevermind Chicago not making this trade, I wouldn't make this move from a Sabres perspective.

If they're going to trade a goaltender, it'll be one of Mika Noronen or Ryan Miller. They wouldn't be bringing a goalie back, either. Marty Biron will be that team's starter for quite some time with one of the aforementioned goaltenders as his back-up. No need to acquire another goalie.

Also, Mike Grier is extremely valuable to the Sabres. He played VERY well for them and was hitting everything in sight. It's Buffalo, they appreciate their honest, hard workers more than anything. Lindy Ruff likes Grier alot, too, and would be wise to keep him as a legitimate big presence on the right side. He is a third line player realistically, but can play on the second line without looking out of place.

I also question Tyler Arnason's presence in the dressing room. He's been in the league for only two years and has had two incidents.

1) Phil Housely and him took Theoren Fleury to a bar, got him loaded, and then watched as Fleury got pummeled by eight bouncers. Good job, guys.

2) Again at a bar, coach Brian Sutter had to be physically restrained by Blackhawk players as Arnason had been mouthing off and stirring ***** all night long.

The kid has talent, and seems like an intelligent person in his interviews, but I am not so sure I'd welcome his presence in the room, especially on a team like the Sabres that demands team chemistry and co-operation to succeed under Ruff's system.
many many good points there, i agree.

Old
05-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Takeo

Quote:

Old
05-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

I may or may not agree with you, but I have to give credit for your analysis.

Old
05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
rupispupis

Quote:

WTF!
Get your stories straight before you start trolling.
1) When that little piglet from the Lollipop gang (Theo) decided to get drunk and start a fight with 2 big bouncers, the rest of the team along with the "leadership core" ran for the hills. The reason Arnason got in trouble for that is because he came to the rescue of the little ******* who was getting pummeled by 2 big guys. Bad teammate?

2)Sutter invited Arny in to the bar after having a few drinks, then slammed him up against the wall, cocked his fist and tried to provoke him into a fight (Sutter's motivational techniques). Arnason backed down, knowing his career would be over. Bad temper?

Sutter should have been fired the next day. The only reason he got that contract extension is because of what happened with Mike Smith. Smith was fired for "Undermining Sutter" and the Hawks refused to pay him. How is it gonna look if they fire Sutter too?

In conclusion, Arny is not going anywhere.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupispupis
1) When that little piglet from the Lollipop gang (Theo) decided to get drunk and start a fight with 2 big bouncers, the rest of the team along with the "leadership core" ran for the hills. The reason Arnason got in trouble for that is because he came to the rescue of the little ******* who was getting pummeled by 2 big guys. Bad teammate?

2)Sutter invited Arny in to the bar after having a few drinks, then slammed him up against the wall, cocked his fist and tried to provoke him into a fight (Sutter's motivational techniques). Arnason backed down, knowing his career would be over. Bad temper?
These are the stories that I read in the paper.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:16 PM
rupispupis

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/co...intID=38118173

There's an interesting read for people outside of Chicago.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:56 PM
GaryU

Arny & Housley got Theo drunk? He's a confirmed alcoholic. I'm sure no one needed to direct him to the bar. And Arny was mouthing off??????? Ya can't get him to say 'Boo'. Please read the article & get your facts straight.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

1) Were you there for either incident? I didn't read any account that agrees with the point you are trying to make.
2) Since when does someone have to draft Fleury to a bar? To blame that incident on the rookie Arnason is just ludicrous.

Old
05-21-2004, 05:37 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
It favors Buffalo by a fair degree. Arnason > Grier (although I do like Grier), and Thibault > Biron. Also, I think Grier is a FA this summer.
How is Thibault better than Biron?

Biron is younger, cheaper, healthier and Biron's WORST year is only beaten by Thibault twice.

Old
05-21-2004, 05:47 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
so buffalo gets the best 2 players by far out of the deal for a ok non-proven young goalie thats not even too much younger then Thibault.

T-bo has 277 wins with a 2.69 gaa, amazing 36 shutouts, and .905 sv%
biron has 101 wins in about 200 less games too then thibault, a 2.44 gaa, .911 sv% and 17 shutouts.

Id definitly take t-bo over biron any day of the week.
What? You've already shown that Biron has the better save percentage and GAA.

The "amazing" 36 shutouts for Thibault occured over 536 games. Biron's 17 shutouts is in 246 games is more impressive. I will let you do the math.

Thibault has 227 wins, not 277 wins. That team statistic happens to be achieved because Thibault has played 536 games. Biron has played 246 games.

In addition to being a better goalie, Biron is younger, cheaper and hasn't been seriously injured. Biron is better than Thibault.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
How is Thibault better than Biron?

Biron is younger, cheaper, healthier and Biron's WORST year is only beaten by Thibault twice.

Biron is younger, cheaper, and healthier, I agree. But, Thibault is probably the better goalie overall right now, although I acknowledge that might not show up in statistics. I'd personally feel a lot better with him in net during a close game than Biron.

Then again, Biron, IMO, is only going to get better.

Closed Thread