HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Sanguinetti to Canes for #157, WSH 2nd 2011

Old
06-26-2010, 02:34 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Sanguinetti to Canes for #157, WSH 2nd 2011

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532942

NOW it's official

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Fan of The Game

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I have always liked this kid. Glad he is apart of this organization now.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

I really like this trade, I think Sangs could definitely make the team out of camp considering our current defensive situation.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I would hope he'd make the roster, we're not exactly loaded after McBain, Joni, and Tim... I like the pick up

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

If we can put sanguinetti into picard's place and drop him, I'll be very happy. But now I'm curious hat the top 6 is going to be if they really think sangs can make the cut out if camp.
Pits-Gleason
Bans-McCain
Sangs-Harrison/Carson
Carson/harrrison

I guess they don't think Carson is ready.....unless they have someone to deal Harrison to, or he us gonna be the #7 guy.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Chrispy

Carson proved he was ready last year.

Pitkanen-Babchuk(or Carson)
Gleason-McBain
Sanguinetti-Carson(or Harrison)

Harrison is either #7 or an expensive captain of the Checkers.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:52 PM
bleedgreen

Makes you wonder wuzzup with the babuchka. We have many righties now.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Makes you wonder wuzzup with the babuchka. We have many righties now.
Yeah either something is up with him or Harrison. Would be nice if one was gone in a trade it something.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
geehaad

The only ones who determined that Harrison would be in the top 6 were knuckleheads on this board who simply needed something new to complain about.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Love this deal. Former 1st round pick, 21st overall back in 2006 and already has a couple very successful seasons offensively in the AHL under his belt. JR will love that and without any doubts this kid will be with the big squad this season. He'll bring plenty of speed and mobility to our back end which is just what we need. Just 5 NHL games to date so it'll be interesting to see how he does, I feel good about him though. I had a sneaky feeling we were about to make a deal, JR was interviewed and said he was going to be making a trade. First vibe I got was it was for a player of some sort as it just didn't seem as though JR was talking about picks.

So.. I would think our 7 man unit would be,

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Sanguinetti
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison

Also, I like the deal in acquiring Jon Matsumoto. He'll be 24 in October and has had 3 solid seasons in the AHL where he's scored 20, 29 and 30 to give him 44, 62 and 63 points respectively. I have no doubts he'll contend for our 3rd line center spot, possibly 4th if Brindy is gone. He'll be a solid depth guy for us with a chance to put up some numbers if he can crack it in the bigs. If not, a great addition to Charlotte. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Matsumoto though.

All in all I think this was a solid day in the trade department. We got 3 talented pieces who are young and ready to make their mark in the NHL here very soon. (Sanguinetti & Matsumoto). Nash being a former 21st overall pick a few years ago is a nice addition aswell. He may end up a solid 3rd line, top 9 guy. All in all I like the options having these guys gives us. Add them to the cupboard of youngsters who can hopefully do something for us now and down the road.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:26 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Sangs is an RFA after this season.... so im sure he would love to play top 4 minutes to increase that payday. Honestly i dont see a difference between acquiring a guy like Sangs versus drafting a guy and "losing him before he is good" We just acquired a kid in virtually the exact same situation. Though i understand JR doesnt have to wait on the kid to develop...its still the same situation regarding paydays. I hope he has gottten much better. Last i saw him, imagine Pitkanen but with no real clue what to do in his own end and would much prefer to stick check than lay a body on someone. honestly he seems like a Frank Kaberle type ceiling to me. But certainly better than Picard or Harrison

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
The only ones who determined that Harrison would be in the top 6 were knuckleheads on this board who simply needed something new to complain about.
considering he got a 1 year 1 way contract (if memory serves me correctly) everyone assumes he was gonna be in the top 6, otherwise, why give him a 1-way. but now with sangs becoming available.....who really knows. id take Sangs over Harrison and Picard any day

Old
06-26-2010, 08:34 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

its a shame we couldnt have taken McDonough off their hands instead of Sangs.....though im sure the Rags wouldnt have gone for it and JR probably preferred Bobby sadly.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
eco's bones

As a Rangers fan--Sanguinetti to me was a disappointment. He's got the skating and the skill but IMO he's a soft player. He did get a few games with the Rangers last year but did not make much of an impression. At Hartford last season he got off to tremendous start and then faded big time. Del Zotto made him expendable. Maybe the best thing for him is a change of scenery.

As for McDonagh--you weren't going to get him for what you gave up for Sangs. McDonagh has a wide body and is a lot more physical which is something the Rangers could use a lot more than Sanguinetti's more offensive minded game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Love this deal. Former 1st round pick, 21st overall back in 2006 and already has a couple very successful seasons offensively in the AHL under his belt. JR will love that and without any doubts this kid will be with the big squad this season. He'll bring plenty of speed and mobility to our back end which is just what we need. Just 5 NHL games to date so it'll be interesting to see how he does, I feel good about him though. I had a sneaky feeling we were about to make a deal, JR was interviewed and said he was going to be making a trade. First vibe I got was it was for a player of some sort as it just didn't seem as though JR was talking about picks.

So.. I would think our 7 man unit would be,

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Sanguinetti
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison
I like this deal too, but if that is our starting D next year, we are still in big trouble. Rookies on 1st and 2nd line? Yikes!

I think this helps out more in the "sign and trade Babchuk" department.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

what ... no love for picard ?

the kid is 24 years old and has almost 200 NHL games played ?

nice size, decent wheels

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post

nice size, decent wheels
Granted we didn't see much of him, but what we did was underwhelming. Regardless of his age or NHL games played, we've had far too many underwhelming defensemen recently. For trying to impress his new team and earn himself a contract, he really did nothing that one of our kids couldn't do cheaper. IMO

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:01 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:

nice size, decent wheels
He's a terrible decision maker, a trait that hasnt gotten better with those 200 NHL games. And he regularly gets the yips in his own end when he has the puck. If he could play all game in the offensive zone he would be fine. He's a flat out liability in the defensive zone

Old
06-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Bobby Sanguinetti has all the natural skill one would require to make the NHL. In consecutive years, he won both the hardest shot and faster skater competitions at the AHL all-star game. Yes, he made it both years.

He's actually 4 days YOUNGER than Jamie McBain, which may come as a surprise to some considering that "the talk" makes it seem like Sanguinetti has been around much longer. To be honest, this is about the point where young defensemen start to turn the corner. I think the developmental path of players like Doughty has made GMs really impatient with young talent.

Ranger fans can talk all they want about him getting eclipsed by Del Zotto and even McDonough, but this guy is still a very legit prospect and still has PLENTY of time to make his mark.

A guy who put up 42 points in the AHL from the blueline at 20 years old has tons of talent. No question about that. Now, we just have to give him the proper coaching to extract it.

I think it can be done, and this was a picture perfect move for this organization as we have more trouble with defenders from 18-22 than almost any other team. If we get them outside of that range, we can usually shape them into something we can use.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
WWAD

Quote:
Yes. That is correct sir.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Yes. That is correct sir.
Picard was horrible. He's got skill but thinks and plays at a bantam hockey level most of the time.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:24 PM
geehaad

Interesting...just read that the Rangers were having a bit of difficulty on resigning Marc Staal.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Interesting...just read that the Rangers were having a bit of difficulty on resigning Marc Staal.
I think we should trade for him. Dubinsky, Rozsival and a 2nd should get it done.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:57 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I think we should trade for him. Dubinsky, Rozsival and a 2nd should get it done.
Are you joking? I wouldn't trade those guys for Ovechkin.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Are you joking? I wouldn't trade those guys for Ovechkin.
that will never get old in my book.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote