HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Old
01-01-2012, 10:04 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
there is no way perry was a better skater, he had zero ballance and was very slow, he fell over a ton as well, stone skating is fine right now plus it will get better, if your smart skating means a lot less
^ this. If you're a good skater you are able to take more chances knowing that you can make up for your mistakes when they happen (see Eric Karlsson). Stone will be an intelligent player who takes few outlandish chances and will make good on the opportunities he gets. Skating is of less importance with this type of player. He will find a role for himself in the NHL and he will excel.

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:15 AM
otown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Ya, what a nightmare it would be if Stone scores 170 goals in 500 games for the Sens.
I believe it was 5 goals in 61 games Cheechoo scored for the Sens if you want to be accurate.

Just saying that Stone has a way to go to make it to the next level and achieve as everyone would like him to. His performance has been outstanding in the junior ranks but he is not the "second coming" yet!
The good news is that he has a great work ethic and will do everything in his power to make it.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
I believe it was 5 goals in 61 games Cheechoo scored for the Sens if you want to be accurate.

Just saying that Stone has a way to go to make it to the next level and achieve as everyone would like him to. His performance has been outstanding in the junior ranks but he is not the "second coming" yet!
The good news is that he has a great work ethic and will do everything in his power to make it.
This pretty much sums it up. Hopefully Stone comes into camp next year, does what is needed and makes the team. He has proven himself now at the Junior level (I expect him to return to the WHL and pick up where he left off) and now he needs to at the NHL level. I am super excited about what this kid can do, much like any prospect coming out of solid junior seasons. Any of them could be a bust, and I am hoping that with Stone's work ethic, stats, and everything else he can do that he'll be a solid top-6 guy for us.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:24 AM
FreakyBunny

I think he needs a year in the AHL...as long as things aren't too poisonous in Bingo by that point. If BM is serious about landing a FA this year, we can afford to allow him to mature for a year or so.

My biggest fear, however, is that he turns out to be another Cory Locke. Do you guys think that the the only thing keeping certain junior stars from achieving the next level is speed or size? Which is more important?

FreakyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
JD1

Locke's problem is that he lacks both. Great hockey IQ, great passer but he is small and slow. You can't be both.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:29 AM
backdoorpass

locke doesnt have speed or size, normally if you have one or other you are fine, but stone isnt really slow

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
I think he needs a year in the AHL...as long as things aren't too poisonous in Bingo by that point. If BM is serious about landing a FA this year, we can afford to allow him to mature for a year or so.

My biggest fear, however, is that he turns out to be another Cory Locke. Do you guys think that the the only thing keeping certain junior stars from achieving the next level is speed or size? Which is more important?
It's not a black and white answer.

A little thing called hockey sense can make up for deficiencies, Stone's got boatloads of it. Just watch him make decisions in the corners, the game comes easy to him.

Stone's skating will continue to improve because he's going to work at it. And he's now got even more motivation to work harder because now the whole country knows his name and is gonna be asking where Mark Stone is if he's not in the NHL in the next 1-2 years. The reason he's got a shot at being a top 6 player is because he's got top 6 hands, release, vision and hockey sense. Hockey sense allows a slow player to keep up with the play, or it allows a small player to avoid a lot of contact (like RNH).

Thought he kept up fine last night with his feet anyways. Just isn't pretty.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:31 AM
FreakyBunny

Thanks, guys! The kid's fun to watch. I bet Spezza can't wait to play with him.

FreakyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:39 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
Thanks, guys! The kid's fun to watch. I bet Spezza can't wait to play with him.
haha this is what we say about Spezza all the time.

unfortunately there are only 2 wing spots open when playing with Spezza and one is probably taken by michalek

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:14 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
haha this is what we say about Spezza all the time.

unfortunately there are only 2 wing spots open when playing with Spezza and one is probably taken by michalek
I think Mark Stone is a great fit on Spezza's wing because they play the exact same offensive zone game: cycle around the net, use their body to protect the puck, flash in to the slot/around the crease for passes. Stone and Spezza make sense and so many levels.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Philadelphia Collins

The little move he made to evade the american checker behind the net on Huberdeau's goal was a thing of beauty last night

I'm starting to think he might be the real deal

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Im just as excited about Stone as everybody else is and I know he has improved his skating alot BUT he is the most noticable player on the ice most times because of his skating...I wouldnt say he is average yet...I have faith that he will get where he needs to go with the specific training he will gets...The good news is the skills he does have, you cant teach

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
I think Mark Stone is a great fit on Spezza's wing because they play the exact same offensive zone game: cycle around the net, use their body to protect the puck, flash in to the slot/around the crease for passes. Stone and Spezza make sense and so many levels.
Stone's going to have get twice as fast as he is now to play on Spezza's wing 5 on 5. Spezza plays with our two fastest forwards and having a player coming into the zone behind Spezza is a nightmare we don't to revist with Spezza drop passing and all that non-sense he has finally gotten out of his game.

But Stone will be a good net crasher and should be good shoveling in the garbage goals off the chaos guys like Zach Smith and Neil create on the 3rd line - until he's fast enough to keep up with Turris or Spezza and become a top 6 winger

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Stone's going to have get twice as fast as he is now to play on Spezza's wing 5 on 5. Spezza plays with our two fastest forwards and having a player coming into the zone behind Spezza is a nightmare we don't to revist with Spezza drop passing and all that non-sense he has finally gotten out of his game.
You know Heatley is and was a terrible skater, right?

It's too soon to start talking about lining him next to Spezza for me...the most important thing for me will be judging whether there is a notable progression in his skating come September.

All this is kinda funny because this isn't the player I expected Stone to be, not even close.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You know Heatley is and was a terrible skater, right?

It's too soon to start talking about lining him next to Spezza for me...the most important thing for me will be judging whether there is a notable progression in his skating come September.

All this is kinda funny because this isn't the player I expected Stone to be, not even close.
Since Spezza / Heatley played together after the lockout Spezza has become way faster and a way better skater the last 5/6 years, his skating is 100 times better then it was in 2004.

There is no way Stone would be able to keep up with Spezza today, or Heatley for that matter.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:16 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Since Spezza / Heatley played together after the lockout Spezza has become way faster and a way better skater the last 5/6 years, his skating is 100 times better then it was in 2004.

There is no way Stone would be able to keep up with Spezza today, or Heatley for that matter.
He seems to have no trouble keeping up with the best players of his age group in the World at the moment. Are Huberdeau and Strome not NHL calibre skaters?

This has been overblown to the point of ridiculousness. He is being portrayed as some sloth who can't keep up with the play and who lags behind everyone else on the ice. Watch this tournament (which in many ways is an indicator of the calibre of play in the NHL since so many future NHLer's are involved) and see what kind of issues he's having.

When he's on the ice, he's in on the puck on a regular basis. He's been leading the rushes on many occasions and he's done a great job on the forecheck. Would a lumbering oaf incapable of putting one skate in front of the other (which appears to be the characterization by some) be able to do this and dominate to this degree if that were the case?

He's not a speedster, we get it. When you're as big as he is and have the type of release and hockey sense he does, you don't need to be. The NHL is littered with tons of successful players whose skating isn't at the level some here expect Stone's to be.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

There's no way of knowing this.

We wouldn't be expecting Stone to keep up with Spezza at 19-20 anyways...we'll have a better read on what we can expect from Stone's mobility based on how it continues to progress.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
He seems to have no trouble keeping up with the best players of his age group in the World at the moment. Are Huberdeau and Strome not NHL calibre skaters?

This has been overblown to the point of ridiculousness. He is being portrayed as some sloth who can't keep up with the play and who lags behind everyone else on the ice. Watch this tournament (which in many ways is an indicator of the calibre of play in the NHL since so many future NHLer's are involved) and see what kind of issues he's having.

When he's on the ice, he's in on the puck on a regular basis. He's been leading the rushes on many occasions and he's done a great job on the forecheck. Would a lumbering oaf incapable of putting one skate in front of the other (which appears to be the characterization by some) be able to do this and dominate to this degree if that were the case?

He's not a speedster, we get it. When you're as big as he is and have the type of release and hockey sense he does, you don't need to be. The NHL is littered with tons of successful players whose skating isn't at the level some here expect Stone's to be.
Government doesn't always agree, but I approve of this message.

Nice thing about Stone is despite his wheels he has no problem being a complete pain in the ass for Dmen on the forecheck. He gets to the places he needs to get just fine.

Everyone knows his chances in the NHL will greatly be improved with skating work. Fortunately no one seems to know it better than him.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:26 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Reminds me more and more of Vanek every time I get to watch him. No doubt this guy is going to be a NHLer, the question becomes, how good will he be? 2nd line Sniper? 1st line Powerforward? Time will tell. Spezza's gonna love plying with him.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Billy Madison*

Stone is a motivated and hard working Dustin Penner. That's view anyways.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post

Cheers. I have no idea if Huberdeau or Strome are NHL skaters yet, I'm not smart enough to know that, but my guess would be no since they are in the OHL and QMJHL.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Stone is a motivated and hard working Dustin Penner. That's view anyways.
That would be a pretty damn good player. Penner is a beast when he's on his game.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
That would be a pretty damn good player. Penner is a beast when he's on his game.
I'm a big fan of the way Penner plays and that's exactly who Stone reminds me of.

They score their goals from 15 feet in, have the ability to make plays in the same area and behind the goal line, and just a ton of hockey sense to go along with their assets.

Most goals in the NHL are scored from that area of the ice and you don't need speed to get there, you just needs size and balls to stand there.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Cheers. I have no idea if Huberdeau or Strome are NHL skaters yet, I'm not smart enough to know that, but my guess would be no since they are in the OHL and QMJHL.
Those two can, without a doubt, skate in the NHL.

They just wouldn't hold up physically...or at least it'd be a risk. Most high end draft picks don't miss the NHL at 18 and 19 because they need skating work, it's because they aren't strong enough.

Even if neither guy works on his skating specifically, they'll be better skaters in 2-3 years just because they will be stronger. That's half the battle for Stone...get stronger in the legs.

Zack Smith is an ugly skater, but those legs are strong and that guy gets around the rink very well.

Old
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Per http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Roman_wick he's playing in Kloten and is under contract for another 3 years (started in July).
What I'm saying is that we should be overrating players based on an international tourney, like what some, not all, of us are doing..

GK is offline   Reply With Quote